Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Holgersen's Contract
The WEST is the BEST Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Holgersen's Contract
When UH hired CDH at $4mil per year it shocked the college FB world and made a statement that the Coogs were serious about FB at the next level. We are now seeing other G5 programs paying their coaches $4mil per year. UH will have an 11-1 record this year and will be participants in the AAC Championship game. We are seeing a greater number of coaching openings this year with more to come. Why have we not heard anything about a new contract for Holgersen? His name will most assuredly come up in regard to openings later this year.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2021 09:59 AM by The WEST is the BEST.)
11-24-2021 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
RE: Holgersen's Contract
I think Holg needs to earn his paycheck for the 2 crap years.
11-24-2021 10:04 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
How would you guys feel if he left? Real question.
11-24-2021 10:07 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(11-24-2021 09:58 AM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  When UH hired CDH at $4mil per year it shocked the college FB world and made a statement that the Coogs were serious about FB at the next level. We are now seeing other G5 programs paying their coaches $4mil per year. UH will have an 11-1 record this year and will be participants in the AAC Championship game. We are seeing a greater number of coaching openings this year with more to come. Why have we not heard anything about a new contract for Holgersen? His name will most assuredly come up in regard to openings later this year.

Your not hearing anything because he is in year 3 of a 5 year deal, has a substantial buy out, and he has not really been pursued by anyone else. His buy out drops in these last two years to just 60% of what’s left on the deal.

That said, there are some interesting contractual twists. The last 2 years of Dana’s deal become fully guaranteed if he wins the AAC CCG in year 3. Furthermore, the contract requires a one time million dollar bonus and a contract renegotiation be automatically triggered if UH is invited to a current power conference. This clause was triggered when the Big12 added Houston, so that means Dana’s contract is currently being worked on.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2021 10:40 AM by Attackcoog.)
11-24-2021 10:36 AM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
(11-24-2021 10:07 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  How would you guys feel if he left? Real question.

I really don’t even get the point of OP. Maybe because of the liberty news?

But Texas pays their guy a crap load and they never win so it’s not like coaches salary will predict how your team does.

To answer your question prior to this season we were mainly done with him. But after this year, who better could we actually get to come here? UTSA’s guy wouldn’t even take the big P5 jobs so far so that likely isn’t an option. I don’t know who we would even target. Promote belk? Is he ready?

Dana is the best bet he’s out guy and he’s already hated like most UH fans. Has an ego about him when he probably doesn’t deserve it. Gets jacked on red bull shows up late to the game and leaves early. Harasses the refs. Yeah he fits right in
11-24-2021 10:40 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Texas Tech is the only job that has rumored to be interested in Dana and that's a lateral move at this point.

I think there would be more of a rush to extend his contract if he was rumored for LSU or something significant.
11-24-2021 11:39 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(11-24-2021 11:39 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Texas Tech is the only job that has rumored to be interested in Dana and that's a lateral move at this point.

I think there would be more of a rush to extend his contract if he was rumored for LSU or something significant.

no longer lateral.. they are in lubbock in the middle of nowhere..we are in Houston, a top 3 recruiting mecca ..that move would be nonsensical...
11-24-2021 11:48 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(11-24-2021 10:07 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  How would you guys feel if he left? Real question.

depends on who we hire..

if he left today, i don't think there would be much uproar or care... our fanbase is still hesitant about him
if it was big-time hire most would even celebrate it

if we beat cincy and/or big bowl opponent , i think those are the things that can really flip the fan opinion of him
11-24-2021 11:52 AM
Casanova Offline
Bench Warmer

I think Houston’s season and Holg are a bit of fools gold right now. Going undefeated in conference is hard but the conference games they have played have been mostly a cake walk. If they keep it close with Cincy I will change my opinion but I don’t think Holg is that good
11-24-2021 12:07 PM
Coog Engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: GO COOGS!
(11-24-2021 09:58 AM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  When UH hired CDH at $4mil per year it shocked the college FB world and made a statement that the Coogs were serious about FB at the next level. We are now seeing other G5 programs paying their coaches $4mil per year. UH will have an 11-1 record this year and will be participants in the AAC Championship game. We are seeing a greater number of coaching openings this year with more to come. Why have we not heard anything about a new contract for Holgersen? His name will most assuredly come up in regard to openings later this year.

This year has (mostly) silenced the Holgi Haters. Winning cures all.

After this year, the expectation to continue the success will no doubt put him under the microscope again, with plenty of the Holgi Haters chiming in about what win-loss record is acceptable and what isn't. But if he continues to chalk up 9+ wins per season it will be hard to let him go, and if he keeps us in the chase for the AAC Champ game (all all the nice things that go with winning that game), then you'll hear talk about extending his contract.

That's how it should go IMO.

Edit: It should be noted that Holgorsen lives in Houston, considers it home, and (on the surface) has no desire to leave unless pushed out.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2021 12:20 PM by Coog Engineer.)
11-24-2021 12:11 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF

There's no real need to offer Holgorsen's and extension or new contract. The coaches that receive new contracts are usually being pursued by other schools. Holgorsen, at this point, has nowhere else to go and isn't being pursued by anyone, so it's not critical to offer him one right now. That said, I do expect Houston to extend his contract within the next year.
11-24-2021 12:18 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

Maybe because the last 10 games - against very lightweight competition- he has coached is the only good stretch he's had in his three years at Houston, and even with that stretch he's just 17-14 overall?
11-24-2021 12:25 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-24-2021 12:07 PM)Casanova Wrote:  I think Houston’s season and Holg are a bit of fools gold right now. Going undefeated in conference is hard but the conference games they have played have been mostly a cake walk. If they keep it close with Cincy I will change my opinion but I don’t think Holg is that good

I wouldnt entirely disagree---but in a 10 team league---we've largely played the same folks your school has played. Like it or not---consistently winning the games you should win is the first hurdle that must be cleared on the way to being a good team. That said---I do think the fan base is undecided on Dana. I myself wasnt crazy about him coming into the season but felt he deserved the entire 3rd season to get a good idea on the direction the program was headed. I felt any coach deserved that after the weird Covid season. I wanted to see a full normal season with Dana in his third season (well into the rebuild). I thought he should be judged on improvement from game one until seasons end and the overall difference from year one. Thus far---I think he's earned another season.

When he got here, the talent level was in decline, the defense was pathetic, and the offense he took over from Applewhite was the only bright spot (largely due to Kendal Briles). Since then, the talent level has improved noticeably with the one glaring exception being the OL. The defense is very good---offense took several steps backwards but has recovered to become at least decent---special teams are good overall. So---while I dont care much for Dana's antics on the field and feel he does little to court the media/casual college fans of Houston---I'd still say he's done enough at this point to prove we are heading in the right direction.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2021 12:35 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-24-2021 12:26 PM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
How has the recruiting been under Dana? I think that's how I would judge it the most.
11-24-2021 12:29 PM
Coog Engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: GO COOGS!
(11-24-2021 12:29 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  How has the recruiting been under Dana? I think that's how I would judge it the most.

Why is recruiting a better indicator than winning?
11-24-2021 12:39 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-24-2021 12:29 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  How has the recruiting been under Dana? I think that's how I would judge it the most.

The problem there is the recruiting rankings tell you little because Dana used the portal so heavily. Half his classes were portal kids, which dont count in the recruiting rankings you see on sites like 247. The only way to tell is how the team looks on the field.

The team is clearly more talented and deeper---especially on defense. The talent level on the DL and defensive secondary is dramatically better and deeper. Offense is better at RB and receiver. His efforts to rebuild the OL appear non-existent or clearly missed the mark. Lots and lots of work to do there. But if you look at the 247 rankings---you'd think our overall talent plummeted in the last two years where as watching the team on the field tells a dramatically different story. The OL is the only place where its clear Dana has whiffed.

He has said he intends to move toward a more traditional recruiting model once the rebuild is complete---so perhaps then the 247 style rankings might begin to be a better indicator of Dana's recruiting performance in the coming years. However, as long as he uses a lot of schollies on portal kids---the 247 rankings wont tell the entire story about whats happening in the Houston program.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2021 12:44 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-24-2021 12:40 PM
Advertisement

Casanova Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-24-2021 12:26 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(11-24-2021 12:07 PM)Casanova Wrote:  I think Houston’s season and Holg are a bit of fools gold right now. Going undefeated in conference is hard but the conference games they have played have been mostly a cake walk. If they keep it close with Cincy I will change my opinion but I don’t think Holg is that good

I wouldnt entirely disagree---but in a 10 team league---we've largely played the same folks your school has played. Like it or not---consistently winning the games you should win is the first hurdle that must be cleared on the way to being a good team. That said---I do think the fan base is undecided on Dana. I myself wasnt crazy about him coming into the season but felt he deserved the entire 3rd season to get a good idea on the direction the program was headed. I felt any coach deserved that after the weird Covid season. I wanted to see a full normal season with Dana in his third season (well into the rebuild). I thought he should be judged on improvement from game one until seasons end and the overall difference from year one. Thus far---I think he's earned another season.

When he got here, the talent level was in decline, the defense was pathetic, and the offense he took over from Applewhite was the only bright spot (largely due to Kendal Briles). Since then, the talent level has improved noticeably with the one glaring exception being the OL. The defense is very good---offense took several steps backwards but has recovered to become at least decent---special teams are good overall. So---while I dont care much for Dana's antics on the field and feel he does little to court the media/casual college fans of Houston---I'd still say he's done enough at this point to prove we are heading in the right direction.

I agree. Hoping he continues an upward trend and we can make the new Big 12 a strong league
11-24-2021 12:42 PM
splitstud Offline
1st String

I Root For: Illuminati, BCS

The recruiting didn't generate high recruiting rankings. The winning, especially with the liberal substituting Belk does on defense, says the recruiting was fine. Who knows.
11-24-2021 12:55 PM
splitstud Offline
1st String

I Root For: Illuminati, BCS

Not as bad as you would if you lost your coach I'd imagine. Both of us could find a good replacement though. Much better than it used to be.
11-24-2021 12:56 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

He now has a P5 job IN Houston....so that will only make recruiting even easier.

$$$ are becoming so good...and especially those that have been in the grind before like Holgersen, Malzahan and others...they can make a very good and happy living where they are.

Holgersen is now 50...Malzahan is now 56 (of course Gus is enjoying the $21 Million that Auburn told him to enjoy a nice 8 week vacation) so while all will be getting "bumps" in pay with the 3 AAC Teams going to Big 12....I think the older they are....and if they have already received a huge pay day like Gus...they have not much desire to do it again....plus, they will all be at a P5 school come 2023.

Note: There is usually more pressure from 1st time HC or young HC to "jump for the money ASAP"...and that will always be attractive to many.
11-24-2021 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.