Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can Cincy beat Alabama?
Red Dragon Coog Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
Can Cincy beat Alabama?
Now it's a legitimate discussion and not hyperbole.

How well do they match up on both sides of the ball? Can Ridder outduel Young?
12-05-2021 06:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Can Cincy beat Alabama?
If ours is a loving God.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
12-05-2021 06:26 PM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries
RE: Can Cincy beat Alabama?
Its not a knock against them if they don't, not many do.
12-05-2021 06:44 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
Bama looked unbeatable against Georgia, but looked beatable against Auburn. I suspect Saban will be ready.
12-05-2021 07:00 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Any given Saturday.

Can they? Yes.

Will they? That's why they play.
12-05-2021 07:02 PM
Ramblin Wreck Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Tech/ UAB/ Bama
(12-05-2021 06:25 PM)Red Dragon Coog Wrote:  Now it's a legitimate discussion and not hyperbole.

How well do they match up on both sides of the ball? Can Ridder outduel Young?

Hmmmm....Saban only has a month to prepare for them. That is just a little longer than the week he had to prepare for Georgia.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2021 07:45 PM by Ramblin Wreck.)
12-05-2021 07:42 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(12-05-2021 07:02 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Any given Saturday.

Can they? Yes.

Beat me to it.
12-05-2021 07:58 PM
200yrs2late Online
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Can Cincy beat Alabama?
If the Bama that played Georgia yesterday shows up the answer is no. If the Bama that played their first 12 games shows up, then yes, Cincy has a winnable game.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
12-05-2021 08:02 PM
boss man Offline
The Collapse is Imminent

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
Yes, using the "any given day" argument.

Alabama played 5 ranked teams this season. They did lose by 3 at Texas A&M. The Tide also had tough games at Florida (won by 3), at Auburn (4 OT win by 2), vs LSU (won by 6), and vs Arkansas (won by 7). But they whipped Ole Miss, Tennessee, Miss State, and Georgia by double digit margins. And that is playing a full SEC schedule + the opener against Miami FL (7-5).

Cincinnati played 2 ranked teams this season. They ran the AAC schedule and also won all OOC games including by double digits at Indiana (2-10) and at Notre Dame (# 5 in final CFP ranking).

The SEC is the strongest P5 conference. We shall see. Both teams have 25 days to rest up, heal up, and prepare.
12-05-2021 08:54 PM
coogrfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
(12-05-2021 07:02 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Any given Saturday.

Can they? Yes.

This.
12-05-2021 08:59 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt apologies again for the appys following us here. They are hopeless

And yes, cincy can beat bama
12-05-2021 09:06 PM
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
It's possible, although many would say unlikely. There are a few things working in our favor though.

Positives:

1 - Alabama is not a great rushing team, and Cincinnati is better at defending against the pass than the run. Alabama ranks 80th in FBS in rushing yards per game at 147.6 YPG and 77th in yards per rush at 4.06. Cincinnati only ranks 47th in rushing yards allowed per game, but ranks 2nd in passing yards allowed per game and has only given up 10 passing touchdowns in 13 games.

2 - Cincinnati has elite cornerbacks to cover Jameson Williams. Jameson Williams is one of the best wide receivers in college football and likely to be a first round pick. But UC will be arguably the best defensive backfield he's had to go against, featuring Sauce Gardner, a potential top-10 draft pick at CB, and Coby Bryant, a Jim Thorpe Award finalist opposite him. Bryan Cook is also a first-team all-AAC safety.

3 - John Metchie III, Alabama's 2nd-leading pass catcher, is out with an ACL injury. That sucks, and I would never wish injury upon an opposing player. However, his loss will make it even more difficult for Jameson Williams to get separation.

So, basically, the thing that Alabama does best offensively (passing) matches up with Cincinnati's greatest strength, which is passing defense. When you look at the matchup, and consider that this year's Alabama has been very beatable at times, I would say Cincinnati has just about as good of a chance to beat Alabama as anyone else would. Let's put it this way; I'm not a betting man, but I would bet on Cincinnati as 13.5-point underdogs, and would probably bet all the way down to about Alabama -10.
12-05-2021 10:08 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
It will be interesting. I’m a UC fan 1st and foremost but also a Bama fan the past 8 years due to my kids attending school there. I’ve watched 12 of Alabama’s 13 games (I skipped the FCS game). UC definitely has the personnel and schemes to hang with Alabama but due to it being 3+ weeks away, no way I’d touch the line.

In addition to the coaches, Saban has a dozen coaching analysts and a herd of grad assistants and staffers that will spend 80 hours a week the next two weeks grinding through every single play call and formation and personnel package and tendency that UC has used at any point of the season, keyed to down and distance, score, clock, game situation, etc.

Alabama’s preparation is like a STEM project. The resources they have is nearly unrivaled. There is a reason they are 6-0 in semi final games and 4 of those games were utter and complete blowouts.

UC’s staff is going to need to think outside the box and change up some looks a bit to succeed.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2021 10:35 PM by rath v2.0.)
12-05-2021 10:31 PM
Lurkercat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(12-05-2021 10:31 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  It will be interesting. I’m a UC fan 1st and foremost but also a Bama fan the past 8 years due to my kids attending school there. I’ve watched 12 of Alabama’s 13 games (I skipped the FCS game). UC definitely has the personnel and schemes to hang with Alabama but due to it being 3+ weeks away, no way I’d touch the line.

In addition to the coaches, Saban has a dozen coaching analysts and a herd of grad assistants and staffers that will spend 80 hours a week the next two weeks grinding through every single play call and formation and personnel package and tendency that UC has used at any point of the season, keyed to down and distance, score, clock, game situation, etc.

Alabama’s preparation is like a STEM project. The resources they have is nearly unrivaled. There is a reason they are 6-0 in semi final games and 4 of those games were utter and complete blowouts.

UC’s staff is going to need to think outside the box and change up some looks a bit to succeed.

Well that was kind of depressing to read. Especially the part about changing things up.. denbrock will have a stroke if you tell him he can't run his famous dive-dive-fade-missed fg combo

In all seriousness we are probably not going to do anything different outside a trick play or 2. We are going to have to just beat them by executing our plays perfectly and hopefully getting a few turnovers. I think this is where the fg unit comes back to kill us. Every point counts when you're playing teams like bama and I'd hate to see us lose because we can't make a 40 yard fg
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2021 11:02 PM by Lurkercat.)
12-05-2021 11:02 PM
jonnylightning Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UH
Cincy going to have to find a way to overcome Bama's talent. That's going to require opportunistic turnovers, and trick plays. If there are no plus play shenanigans in those areas, this one's probably going to the tape.
12-05-2021 11:06 PM
Lurkercat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(12-05-2021 11:06 PM)jonnylightning Wrote:  Cincy going to have to find a way to overcome Bama's talent. That's going to require opportunistic turnovers, and trick plays. If there are no plus play shenanigans in those areas, this one's probably going to the tape.

Good thing we got fake punt practice against ECU. Might need to run that one again
12-05-2021 11:07 PM
Advertisement

jonnylightning Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UH
Indeed, the experience playing ECU should serve you very well in this game.
12-05-2021 11:12 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
No one thought we had a chance against Georgia but we went toe-to-toe and earned a lot of respect last year. No doubt Bama will outclass us on talent at almost every position, that program is a fricken NFL factory. If we lose, I hope we keep it close and garner that same respect for all of the G5 programs out there. If we somehow manage to win, it will be one of the most historic and iconic wins in sports of all time. Regardless of what happens, this has been such a special season to watch.
12-05-2021 11:20 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(12-05-2021 11:02 PM)Lurkercat Wrote:  
(12-05-2021 10:31 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  It will be interesting. I’m a UC fan 1st and foremost but also a Bama fan the past 8 years due to my kids attending school there. I’ve watched 12 of Alabama’s 13 games (I skipped the FCS game). UC definitely has the personnel and schemes to hang with Alabama but due to it being 3+ weeks away, no way I’d touch the line.

Well that was kind of depressing to read. Especially the part about changing things up.. denbrock will have a stroke if you tell him he can't run his famous dive-dive-fade-missed fg combo

In all seriousness we are probably not going to do anything different outside a trick play or 2. We are going to have to just beat them by executing our plays perfectly and hopefully getting a few turnovers. I think this is where the fg unit comes back to kill us. Every point counts when you're playing teams like bama and I'd hate to see us lose because we can't make a 40 yard fg

Don’t be depressed. It’s nothing that UC’s staff doesn’t already know. We are facing a program with crazy resources. They will spend time tweaking and hiding formations personnel combos and changing tendencies to throw Alabama off. It’s a chess match the next 3 weeks.

I also don’t think UC showed its entire playbook this season yet. Always felt like we had a few pages under glass but never needed to break into it.

On defense I think we will have some different looks we have not used yet to pressure Bryce Young. If you don’t chase him in the pocket, it’s a long day. Kid has a rocket and is incredibly accurate downfield
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2021 11:37 PM by rath v2.0.)
12-05-2021 11:27 PM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
Even if they don't win, if they play a solid, respectable game within 7 to 9 points of Alabama, they will get a lot of respect from me and a lot of FB fans around the country. But yes, it is possible they win, and yes, I will be rooting for Cincy.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2021 02:21 AM by Fishpro10987.)
12-06-2021 02:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.