Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Grant McCasland leaving for SMU
Bookmark and Share
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Grant McCasland leaving for SMU
Looks like a done deal after SMU canned Tim Jankovich. Source is Goodman from CUSA leader Stadium.
03-22-2022 10:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
RE: Grant McCasland leaving for SMU
This one is really interesting to me. Why is it that the new trend isn't coaches using their NCAAT run to get a bigger job, but rather them getting pissed when they don't make the tournament and using that to leave? That seems to be the main reasons why we're losing coaches in CUSA. Curious to see where UNT goes from here.
03-22-2022 11:02 AM
Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
Goodman clarified that this isn't a given yet.
03-22-2022 11:05 AM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(03-22-2022 11:02 AM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  This one is really interesting to me. Why is it that the new trend isn't coaches using their NCAAT run to get a bigger job, but rather them getting pissed when they don't make the tournament and using that to leave? That seems to be the main reasons why we're losing coaches in CUSA. Curious to see where UNT goes from here.

Kermit Davis left because of that. Plus, the extra money.
03-22-2022 11:23 AM
Shadow_Son Offline
Special Teams

Would be shocked if the mean green don't hire Ross Hodge.
03-22-2022 11:30 AM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
He is going from UNT to SMU? He should have stayed and tried for a bigger job next year. Missouri was talking to him this round.
03-22-2022 11:43 AM
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(03-22-2022 11:43 AM)SouthernMiss3613 Wrote:  He is going from UNT to SMU? He should have stayed and tried for a bigger job next year. Missouri was talking to him this round.

I would say SMU basketball is a bigger job than NT but I get what you’re saying. I think it makes sense because SMU has a history and should be easier to recruit.
03-22-2022 01:56 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2022 10:23 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Looks like a done deal after SMU canned Tim Jankovich. Source is Goodman from CUSA leader Stadium.

You mean schools are actually firing coaches for not making the ncaa tourney and 4 of of 6 seasons winning...

I remember the time Western set standards like that but not today. But programs with less than half of the history of Western is willing to make that change.

Western has become Middle or Ark St...coach wins 20 games every other year and a nit bid. Worth what seems like at least 8 to 10 years. Shameful

But it seems odd a coach making this type of move and to what will be a school in the same conference. While SMU has a better history than UNT...not by much. Most of that history came while playing in a P5 type conference
03-22-2022 02:14 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(03-22-2022 02:14 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(03-22-2022 10:23 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Looks like a done deal after SMU canned Tim Jankovich. Source is Goodman from CUSA leader Stadium.

You mean schools are actually firing coaches for not making the ncaa tourney and 4 of of 6 seasons winning...

I remember the time Western set standards like that but not today. But programs with less than half of the history of Western is willing to make that change.

Western has become Middle or Ark St...coach wins 20 games every other year and a nit bid. Worth what seems like at least 8 to 10 years. Shameful

But it seems odd a coach making this type of move and to what will be a school in the same conference. While SMU has a better history than UNT...not by much. Most of that history came while playing in a P5 type conference

Such is life in a 14-team league.

Hard as hell to get an at-large, nowadays............ just what the money schools want (when our programs figure out the NET, they'll change the formula again to suit their needs)
03-22-2022 02:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shadow_Son Offline
Special Teams

He's getting another year whether you or 518 want him to or not. Yall can kick and scream all off-season, but Stans will be the coach come next November. The sooner you accept and come to grips with that, the better your mental health will be. I'm starting to think the two of you are absolutely mortified that he will get over the hump next year and then we will be "stuck" with him for a few more seasons. Makes me want to root for him more knowing the pain it would cause the both of you. You know as well as anyone, if he doesn't win it next year he will be gone - which would be entirely fair.
03-22-2022 02:56 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2022 02:56 PM)Shadow_Son Wrote:  

He's getting another year whether you or 518 want him to or not. Yall can kick and scream all off-season, but Stans will be the coach come next November. The sooner you accept and come to grips with that, the better your mental health will be. I'm starting to think the two of you are absolutely mortified that he will get over the hump next year and then we will be "stuck" with him for a few more seasons. Makes me want to root for him more knowing the pain it would cause the both of you. You know as well as anyone, if he doesn't win it next year he will be gone - which would be entirely fair.

Would be happy as hell to see us in the dance in a prime 5 vs 12 matchup, try again. I guess SMU coach retired or did he quit?
03-22-2022 03:20 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

Dont you ever get tired of being wrong? You been on Stansbury's "water cooler" championships for 6 years now. If we were going by "fair" Standbury would be gone already...

Western/Todd has really lowered the schools standards that was in place for the last 95 years.

Like I said Western has stooped to the level of MTSU and Ark St while schools with less history are firing coaches for not making the NCAA Tourney and with a higher winning% while player a harder schedule.

Yet some of you dont care about what was once a standard at Western...making the NCAA Tourney. Now you only care about paper recruits that you can brag about till the season starts...

by then most are gone or never showed up or never take the court.

You damn stright I'm worried about Stansbury getting lucky and winning 23 games next year. I'm worried because the next 3 or 4 will be about like the last 3 and fans like you and the Western AD accepting that.
03-22-2022 03:47 PM
Shadow_Son Offline
Special Teams

(03-22-2022 03:47 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

Dont you ever get tired of being wrong? You been on Stansbury's "water cooler" championships for 6 years now. If we were going by "fair" Standbury would be gone already...

Western/Todd has really lowered the schools standards that was in place for the last 95 years.

Like I said Western has stooped to the level of MTSU and Ark St while schools with less history are firing coaches for not making the NCAA Tourney and with a higher winning% while player a harder schedule.

Yet some of you dont care about what was once a standard at Western...making the NCAA Tourney. Now you only care about paper recruits that you can brag about till the season starts...

by then most are gone or never showed up or never take the court.

You damn stright I'm worried about Stansbury getting lucky and winning 23 games next year. I'm worried because the next 3 or 4 will be about like the last 3 and fans like you and the Western AD accepting that.

The SMU coach retired. And as for Stans, I'd say he's done everything you want a WKU basketball coach to do besides get to the dance. Big time recruits, sell outs, big time home games, beating P5's for fun, top 3-4 in the league every year, recruiting KY kids, 3 finals in a row. He's been unlucky and brought a lot of that on himself with his coaching and decision making. But 2 of his 6 years are a wash and you know it. Again, if he doesn't win it next year I'll be happy to see him go and so will everyone else.
03-22-2022 04:20 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I can sympathize with coaches leaving to another conference where there's a better chance of getting picked for the Dance at 20 wins than getting 20 wins in a conference like Cusa and being snubbed. Is it fair, of course not, but like Congress there's nothing a normal person can do but grin and bear it or head to the bigger Cartel school. But sheesh, unless it's a bigger paycheck why would you want to go to another Cusa level conference where the same thing could happen.
03-22-2022 04:43 PM
theATLDawg Offline
All American

I Root For:
Wasn’t SMU like 25-5 and still got snubbed?
03-22-2022 04:53 PM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
(03-22-2022 04:53 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  Wasn’t SMU like 25-5 and still got snubbed?
23-8, one of the first 4 out.

They had 2 really bad losses (Missouri and Loyola-Marymount) that came back to bite them. Missouri was in OT — if the Ponies win that and everything else turned out the same, they’d have been in the Dance.
03-22-2022 05:29 PM
Advertisement

Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

This is not a done deal right now. UNT has been working on a raise and contract extension for McCasland. SMU isn't a power program in basketball and doesn't belong to a 5 or 6 bid league. SMU is going to have to make an incredible offer that UNT can't or wont match, if they want to lure McCasland away.
03-22-2022 08:04 PM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I don’t see McCasland leaving UNT for smu. I don’t care what smu “use to be” ions ago.
03-22-2022 08:18 PM
Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

Looks like McCasland is balking at the offer and Joe Golding is a potential candidate now.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022 12:02 AM by Magic95Fan.)
03-22-2022 11:51 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(03-22-2022 08:04 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  

This is not a done deal right now. UNT has been working on a raise and contract extension for McCasland. SMU isn't a power program in basketball and doesn't belong to a 5 or 6 bid league. SMU is going to have to make an incredible offer that UNT can't or wont match, if they want to lure McCasland away.

I like seeing this UNT-SMU rivalry taking the next step in this battle over McCasland. The much larger UNT should be able to win this one.
03-23-2022 07:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.