Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Starlink
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
OT - Starlink
So I waited over a year for Starlink service and my system was delivered yesterday. Took 5 minutes to set up and for the first time ever, I have high speed internet on the farm. I understand it takes a few days to calibrate and identify all the usable satellites before it reaches max speeds, but I'm already looking at around 100 down and 30 up and that was during periods of heavy downpours and storms last evening. Never buffered a single time.

I'm undecided on a permanent install location just yet as it needs to be accessible to take down during hurricanes and my eaves are 42' high.

Anybody else using Starlink?

This is truly a remarkable testament to how private entities can do so much better than govt. The rural broadband program pretty much told me that there weren't enough people living down the 2 mile road to the farm (there are a total of 20 houses and 27 school age children) and we weren't eligible for the program and would have to pay the local provider out of pocket to run the lines at a cost of over $66k. On the far south end of the farm I can literally see a cable pedestal in a neighborhood across a 20 yard wetland area, but the provider refused to run service across even though I own both properties on either side of the wetland and offered a right of way.
04-19-2022 07:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
RE: OT - Starlink
(04-19-2022 07:15 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  So I waited over a year for Starlink service and my system was delivered yesterday. Took 5 minutes to set up and for the first time ever, I have high speed internet on the farm. I understand it takes a few days to calibrate and identify all the usable satellites before it reaches max speeds, but I'm already looking at around 100 down and 30 up and that was during periods of heavy downpours and storms last evening. Never buffered a single time.

I'm undecided on a permanent install location just yet as it needs to be accessible to take down during hurricanes and my eaves are 42' high.

Anybody else using Starlink?

This is truly a remarkable testament to how private entities can do so much better than govt. The rural broadband program pretty much told me that there weren't enough people living down the 2 mile road to the farm (there are a total of 20 houses and 27 school age children) and we weren't eligible for the program and would have to pay the local provider out of pocket to run the lines at a cost of over $66k. On the far south end of the farm I can literally see a cable pedestal in a neighborhood across a 20 yard wetland area, but the provider refused to run service across even though I own both properties on either side of the wetland and offered a right of way.

I was stuck with pathetically slow DSL (.07-1.0 mbps) for over a decade. I finally gave in the last year I was in my old house and got Viasat. It was 12 mbps for around $140 a month. 12 mbps was a big jump in speed (or at least it was to me lol) but it cost an arm and a leg.

When I moved last year I was finally able to get true high speed. I now get 200 mbps and at less that one quarter the price of viasat.

I can upgrade to 400 or more but there is really no need since its just me. I wonder do I even need 200, maybe just 100? I stream some stuff in 1080 but I don't game or do much else than net surf.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2022 07:35 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
04-19-2022 07:26 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
04-rock04-rock04-rock

the more access the rural folk can obtain, the better chance this country has to recover its' moxie...

when we moved to the 'burg in '74, cable was a delicacy not enjoyed down a dirt road ... I'm hard wired from the tap to my modem and pay extra for muh 700 mbps (called comcrap last night and made a techie laugh as I explained how to reset my system when it dropped to 70 mbps ... no bs ... I have to stay on their arse since I stream/hdmi everything)

good luck and enjoy the speed!
04-19-2022 07:26 AM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
I have Starlink on order. Right now I'm stuck with Centurylink. Its cheap at less than $50, but its 10mb / 750kb on a good day. I need better speed for sure, but I also wanted an alternative to wire as when storms come thru they can easily take down the Centurylink wire. And I for damned sure wasnt going to order HughesNet or Dish.
04-19-2022 08:13 AM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
This can change the world.
04-19-2022 08:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.