Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Incarnate Word picks Southland
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Incarnate Word picks Southland
Wow. Report last week was they picked WAC. Figured this warranted its own thread.

(06-24-2022 10:37 AM)TDenverFan Wrote:  Looks like UIW had a change of heart - https://www.southland.org/news/2022/6/24...rence.aspx
06-24-2022 10:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Incarnate Word picks Southland
Wow...
06-24-2022 10:45 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Probably the best fit for them, anyways
06-24-2022 10:45 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Dang way to wait till the last minute
06-24-2022 10:50 AM
Lionfan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Texas A&M-Commerce
Is the WAC dead in the water?
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2022 11:11 AM by Lionfan.)
06-24-2022 11:11 AM
Tigerblud Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: LSU
WAC will need to call up more D2 schools or ditch the Utah schools and try FBS thing again with Missouri Valley schools.
06-24-2022 11:14 AM
Advertisement

Lionfan Offline
Water Engineer

Southland suddenly looking to be in VERY good shape. New commissioner is doing some serious work.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2022 11:19 AM by Lionfan.)
06-24-2022 11:18 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(06-24-2022 11:14 AM)Tigerblud Wrote:  WAC will need to call up more D2 schools or ditch the Utah schools and try FBS thing again with Missouri Valley schools.

Thanks for your “interest” in the WAC. Great idea!!!!!!!!!!
06-24-2022 11:18 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Will the Southland try to recruit more WAC Texas schools?
06-24-2022 11:19 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(06-24-2022 11:18 AM)Lionfan Wrote:  Southland suddenly looking to be in VERY good shape

If you want to remain with some of the worst programs in D1.
06-24-2022 11:19 AM
Lionfan Offline
Water Engineer

(06-24-2022 11:19 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(06-24-2022 11:18 AM)Lionfan Wrote:  Southland suddenly looking to be in VERY good shape

If you want to remain with some of the worst programs in D1.

As a D2 team making the transition, that's exactly what I want for right now. lol
06-24-2022 11:25 AM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(06-24-2022 11:14 AM)Tigerblud Wrote:  WAC will need to call up more D2 schools or ditch the Utah schools and try FBS thing again with Missouri Valley schools.

The underlined is not within the realm of possibility.

The options are to find:
- A willing FB-playing school that aligns geographically with the SW Division (considering McNeese/Lamar/UIW have all declined, this looks unlikely)
- A willing and desirable D2 FB school that aligns geographically with the SW Division (with WTAMU's President publicly declaring D2 as the optimal solution, this is also difficult as the non-WTAMU options probably aren't desirable to SFA, TSU, ACU, etc.)
- Stay with the current 11 until a target changes their mind
06-24-2022 11:31 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

Allegedly going to play a SLC football schedule this season

https://www.americanpress.com/2022/06/24...onference/
06-24-2022 11:41 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
I want to admit that I was incorrect - absolutely surprised this occurred so late in the game.

It is not the end of the world for the WAC and certainly, the Southland can breathe a sigh of relief as it bolsters their numbers.

I am curious to see how both leagues proceed going forward; the scheduling thing is quite bizarre at this juncture. How flexible, easy is it to move things around? Believe Southland had all schools playing a school twice in FB, so it's likely not hard. The WAC approach could be fascinating.
06-24-2022 11:44 AM
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
With the A-Sun dropping to 12 total members in 2023 (5 of them football members) and has Bellarmine potentially getting looked at by the Horizon, something makes me think the A-Sun tries poaching the 3 TX football members. At the same time, I could see the WAC try to poach Central Arkansas from the A-Sun. Sure both leagues could agree to remain in their hybrid football league stretching from Utah to Georgia, but both leagues look vulnerable to me, at least in football.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2022 11:48 AM by GoBuckeyes1047.)
06-24-2022 11:47 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(06-24-2022 11:47 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  With the A-Sun dropping to 12 total members in 2023 (5 of them football members) and has Bellarmine potentially getting looked at by the Horizon, something makes me think the A-Sun tries poaching the 3 TX football members. At the same time, I could see the WAC try to poach Central Arkansas from the A-Sun. Sure both leagues could agree to remain in their hybrid football league stretching from Utah to Georgia, but both leagues look vulnerable to me, at least in football.

The Lake Charles American-Press article linked above (and adding it below) eludes to UCA being rumored for return to the Southland

americanpress.com/2022/06/24/breaking-incarnate-word-will-stay-in-southland-conference/

Quote:Grant would not comment on rumors that Central Arkansas, which left last summer for the Atlantic Sun, might also be looking to make a return to the SLC.

“I will say we are going to be aggressive in trying to get recruit schools that fit our league’s profile and footprint,” said Grant. “We will listen and talk to those teams and keep in mind what we are trying to do.”
06-24-2022 11:51 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-24-2022 11:11 AM)Lionfan Wrote:  Is the WAC dead in the water?

Seems like NMSU and SHSU leaving had a big impact on the WAC. Lamar goes back and ICW stays in the SLC.
06-24-2022 12:23 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

(06-24-2022 11:19 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Will the Southland try to recruit more WAC Texas schools?

The Southland had and presumably continues to reach out to WAC schools in Texas.

The list as it stands of potential schools to poach: Abilene Christian, Stephen F Austin, Tarleton State, Texas-Arlington and UTRGV

Tarleton and UTRGV were turned down by Southland previously; ACU, SFA and Arlington are former members.
06-24-2022 12:27 PM
OhioBoilermaker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue, NMSU
(06-24-2022 12:27 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(06-24-2022 11:19 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Will the Southland try to recruit more WAC Texas schools?

The Southland had and presumably continues to reach out to WAC schools in Texas.

The list as it stands of potential schools to poach: Abilene Christian, Stephen F Austin, Tarleton State, Texas-Arlington and UTRGV

Tarleton and UTRGV were turned down by Southland previously; ACU, SFA and Arlington are former members.

Matt has reported that the remaining WAC schools want to be in the WAC. The WAC actually probably has the best regional demographics of any conference right now (although whether they can capitalize on them is a different and oft-litigated question).

Honestly, I think that the WAC is in a solid position. They are approaching a level of cultural homogeneity that will benefit them long term.
06-24-2022 12:40 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-24-2022 12:40 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  
(06-24-2022 12:27 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  

Matt has reported that the remaining WAC schools want to be in the WAC. The WAC actually probably has the best regional demographics of any conference right now (although whether they can capitalize on them is a different and oft-litigated question).

Honestly, I think that the WAC is in a solid position. They are approaching a level of cultural homogeneity that will benefit them long term.

Seattle, Cal Baptist, UVU, Grand Canyon, UTRGV, Tarleton St.? None of what you are saying makes any sense.

They've got 2 serious geographic outliers in Seattle and Cal Baptist and they only have 5 football schools. They are dramatically different types of universities.
06-24-2022 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.