Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is it possible Aresco will look to expand west after b1g/pac/Big12 finalize tv deals?
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresno State, MWC, MAC
Is it possible Aresco will look to expand west after b1g/pac/Big12 finalize tv deals?
I’ve heard zero rumors on this. And I think it would depend on if ESPN wants more late window content.

But if ESPN doesn’t get any PAC content. Or splits the very little western content the Big12 might have (should the 4C schools go to Big12). Then would ESPN rather have the best MW teams join AAC?

Seems Aresco is on the aggressive side like Yormark. Just not as boisterous about it. So I can see something like this boil up around the time the new Big12 tv contract’s ink dries in a couple years.
10-06-2022 02:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MeepMeep Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTSA | Arizona
RE: Is it possible Aresco will look to expand west after b1g/pac/Big12 finalize tv deals?
Please hurry, Saturday
10-06-2022 02:52 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Is it possible Aresco will look to expand west after b1g/pac/Big12 finalize tv deals?
(10-06-2022 02:40 PM)Fresno Fanatic Wrote:  I’ve heard zero rumors on this. And I think it would depend on if ESPN wants more late window content.

But if ESPN doesn’t get any PAC content. Or splits the very little western content the Big12 might have (should the 4C schools go to Big12). Then would ESPN rather have the best MW teams join AAC?

Seems Aresco is on the aggressive side like Yormark. Just not as boisterous about it. So I can see something like this boil up around the time the new Big12 tv contract’s ink dries in a couple years.
Possible, but not probable as Washington St and OSU will have the pull being the biggest kids on the block.
10-06-2022 02:58 PM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

(10-06-2022 02:52 PM)MeepMeep Wrote:  Please hurry, Saturday

It would include a bump in annual tv revenue for utsa. At least by $2million/year.

If PAC breaks up and all ESPN has for western content after 2025 is sharing 5 Big12 teams with (probably) Fox, then, I’m sure ESPN would like to upgrade the AAC in pay in order to have more western time slots.
10-06-2022 02:59 PM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

(10-06-2022 02:58 PM)bearcat29 Wrote:  
(10-06-2022 02:40 PM)Fresno Fanatic Wrote:  I’ve heard zero rumors on this. And I think it would depend on if ESPN wants more late window content.

Possible, but not probable as Washington St and OSU will have the pull being the biggest kids on the block.

I’d think Wasu and osu would rather be a part of a 21 team (3, 7-team divisions) than a 14 team MW.

PAC ain’t gonna add enough teams, if at all, in enough time to preserve the pac should 8 of the 10 bolt.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 03:04 PM by Fresno Fanatic.)
10-06-2022 03:02 PM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

If ESPN is shut out of final B1G and has very little western content share of a Big12-16, would ESPN pay this AAC $250 - $270 (maybe more!?) per year (average)….

$$$West Div$$$
Gonzaga/AirForce
Washington State
Oregon State
Boise State
Fresno State
San Diego State
UNLV
Colorado State

$$$Central Div$$$
Wichita/Army
Tulsa
SMU
North Texas
UT-San Antonio
Rice
Tulane
Memphis

$$$East Div$$$
VCU/Navy
Temple
East Carolina
UNC Charlotte
UA Birmingham
Georgia State
South Florida
Florida Atlantic

24 AAC
20 BigTen *will be 24 down the road
16 SEC *will be 20-24 down the road
16 Big12 *prob be 20-24 down the road
ACC and Pac are history and we have a P4 and a G3 left over…12 team playoff with 5 conf champs + 7 at larges.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 03:46 PM by Fresno Fanatic.)
10-06-2022 03:17 PM
Advertisement

Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
Every league is already too big.

We need 10 team regional conferences.

Sorry, and old-timer venting here.
10-06-2022 04:26 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

I don't see why any western schools worth having would want to join the AAC.

But maybe we'll see.
10-06-2022 05:11 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(10-06-2022 04:26 PM)Fishpro10987 Wrote:  Every league is already too big.

You are absolutely right...

A 20-24 team monstrosity is just two conferences stuck together anyway... IDC what they call it...

Maybe someday it will cycle around again and we'll see 'split' of some of these...
10-06-2022 07:10 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(10-06-2022 05:11 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

But maybe we'll see.

If the PAC mostly holds together (but, let’s say peels away one-to-thee MwC’s… I could definitely see a couple Colorado schools (csu/afa) heading to AAC. And if they are coming… then a couple west coast teams could come along also (fresno/sdsu) if they don’t get plucked by pac first.

The pac will not disappear even if it “implodes”.
10-06-2022 07:13 PM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams

Aresco isn't aggressive. The AAC failed to replace UConn during his tenure, and Aresco failed in his 3 attempts to persuade MWC teams (Air Force, Boise St., & CSU) to join the AAC. The only school Aresco brought into the AAC was Wichita State - a non-FB school, and that was back in 2017.

It was ESPN that was aggressive - not Aresco. It was ESPN that insisted on adding 6 CUSA schools. That was the only way that ESPN was willing to maintain the existing revenue streams to the AAC remainers.
10-06-2022 07:14 PM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-06-2022 07:14 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  

Aresco isn't aggressive. The AAC failed to replace UConn during his tenure, and Aresco failed in his 3 attempts to persuade MWC teams (Air Force, Boise St., & CSU) to join the AAC. The only school Aresco brought into the AAC was Wichita State - a non-FB school, and that was back in 2017.

Being aggressive and failing aren't one of the same. He was aggressive in pursuing the MWC schools, he just wasn't able to close the deal. Aresco was also smart in not replacing UConn and inviting Wichita St (although the MVC is better now than when Wich St was there).
10-06-2022 07:25 PM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

(10-06-2022 07:25 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

Being aggressive and failing aren't one of the same. He was aggressive in pursuing the MWC schools, he just wasn't able to close the deal. Aresco was also smart in not replacing UConn and inviting Wichita St (although the MVC is better now than when Wich St was there).

Not only was Aresco NOT aggressive. He openly announced that he wasn't going to make the first move to replace UConn. Any school that wanted to join the AAC had to contact him to initiate a conversation.

When he finally did try to add some MWC schools, he failed in each case.

Aresco has been the Commissioner since 2014, and in that entire time, he brought in one non-football school. The CUSA6 were brought in not by Aresco, but by ESPN, which insisted on adding 6 schools from the CUSA.

As I see it, he's "all hat and no cattle."

Moreover, the AAC has never shown any interest in having more than 12 schools, and it now has 14. For that reason, it seems unlikely that it will expand any further - - unless ESPN insists on it (e.g., if Memphis & SMU join the Big 12).

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 08:08 PM by Milwaukee.)
10-06-2022 08:02 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-06-2022 08:02 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  

Not only was Aresco NOT aggressive. He openly announced that he wasn't going to make the first move to replace UConn. Any school that wanted to join the AAC had to contact him to initiate a conversation.

Aresco has been the Commissioner since 2014, and in that entire time, he brought in one non-football school. The CUSA6 were brought in not by Aresco, but by ESPN, which insisted on adding 6 schools from the CUSA.

Moreover, the AAC has never shown any interest in having more than 12 schools, and it now has 14. For that reason, it seems unlikely that it will expand any further - - unless ESPN insists on it (e.g., if Memphis & SMU join the Big 12).

There was no need for Aresco to be aggressive in replacing UConn when he wasn't planning to replace them. And you agree with me that he was aggressive in pursuing the MWC schools. Now unless you believe Aresco should have been aggressive in replacing UConn (which again I think it was smart not to replace UConn because it allowed the other schools to get more money from the TV deal and UConn exit fees), you're basically agreeing with me.

Now if you just want to see your self type nice rebuttals then go right ahead. But if that's what you're gonna do then I suggest you get your comma and proper capitalization game up to par. Just sayin'......
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 08:34 PM by HiddenDragon.)
10-06-2022 08:33 PM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

(10-06-2022 08:33 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

There was no need for Aresco to be aggressive in replacing UConn when he wasn't planning to replace them. And you agree with me that he was aggressive in pursuing the MWC schools. Now unless you believe Aresco should have been aggressive in replacing UConn (which again I think it was smart not to replace UConn because it allowed the other schools to get more money from the TV deal and UConn exit fees), you're basically agreeing with me.

Now if you just want to see your self type nice rebuttals then go right ahead. But if that's what you're gonna do then I suggest you get your comma and proper capitalization game up to par. Just sayin'......

I wouldn't describe Aresco as being "aggressive" in pursuing MWC. It seems more accurate to say that he was "inept" in pursuing Boise, AF, and CSU, not "aggressive."

As far as expanding westward is concerned, it seems extremely unlikely to happen unless ESPN forces the AAC to expand (e.g., after Memphis joins the Big 12), the way they forced the AAC remainers to add the CUSA6.

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2022 08:49 PM by Milwaukee.)
10-06-2022 08:46 PM
Fresno Fanatic Offline
Special Teams

(10-06-2022 08:46 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  
(10-06-2022 08:33 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(10-06-2022 07:14 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  Aresco isn't aggressive. The AAC failed to replace UConn during his tenure, and Aresco failed in his 3 attempts to persuade MWC teams (Air Force, Boise St., & CSU) to join the AAC. The only school Aresco brought into the AAC was Wichita State - a non-FB school, and that was back in 2017.

I wouldn't describe Aresco as being "aggressive" in pursuing MWC. It seems more accurate to say that he was "inept" in pursuing Boise, AF, and CSU, not "aggressive."

As far as expanding westward is concerned, it seems extremely unlikely to happen unless ESPN forces the AAC to expand (e.g., after Memphis joins the Big 12), the way they forced the AAC remainers to add the CUSA6.

And ESPN will want to expand west if 8 of the PAC schools bolt and ESPN only gets half of the Tier 1 of Big12….that leaves ESPN’s western content at 2.5 schools.

Now if the PAC stays together, ESPN and Fox would most likely split PAC and Big12 tier 1 content and mw stays in tact and stays with cbs&fox.

But if PAC dissolves…

…would ESPN prod Aresco and aac presidents to make the move and create a super league ESPN can experiment with to see how it works (or doesn’t work) for future SEC expansion when ACC is ripe enough to be invaded by SEC?
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2022 02:53 AM by Fresno Fanatic.)
10-07-2022 02:52 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(10-06-2022 07:10 PM)Bull Wrote:  

You are absolutely right...

A 20-24 team monstrosity is just two conferences stuck together anyway... IDC what they call it...

Maybe someday it will cycle around again and we'll see 'split' of some of these...

I think that is a real possibility. IMO, once you get to 16 schools, like the B1G and SEC will be at, you theoretically have two eight-school football conferences gestating inside you. Over time, these two might decide to hive-off from each other.

Taking the SEC as a case: That is one reason why I believed the SEC should not expand beyond 14 schools. Now, I know that you can't turn down Texas and Oklahoma, but nevertheless, there is that danger.

Also, IMO the SEC would be wise to not add any more Big 12 schools in the future, because if you add schools from a particular region, they are IMO more likely to be a hive-off threat down the road. E.g., I could see a scenario after which "using" the SEC to regain strength, the old Big 12 schools - Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and TAMU - decide they are too culturally dissimilar with the "southeast" schools and hive-off.

In that regard, I think the B1G is safer, as its expansion targets over the past 10-12 years - Rutgers, MD, UNL, USC and UCLA - are more scattered, there is no critical mass from a particular region that could form a hive-off nucleus.

Once a conference gets that big, I would also avoid creating (or keeping) divisions, especially based on geography, as these divisions are in effect two separate conferences-in-waiting. Better to abandon divisions and mix up the schedules among all the members. Again, the SEC seems more vulnerable to that IMO than the B1G.

That's a lot of verbiage-spill to say I agree with you, and really, think the threat of splits and hive-offs is present even before we reach the 20- or 24- team thresholds. I think the B1G and SEC are already at that point.

Of course, these hive-offs would not necessarily be a bad thing, they are only bad if one thinks the whole big gang of a conference should stay together, and individual schools or configurations may not believe this is in their interest.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2022 05:44 AM by quo vadis.)
10-07-2022 05:38 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(10-06-2022 03:17 PM)Fresno Fanatic Wrote:  If ESPN is shut out of final B1G and has very little western content share of a Big12-16, would ESPN pay this AAC $250 - $270 (maybe more!?) per year (average)….

$$$West Div$$$
Gonzaga/AirForce
Washington State
Oregon State
Boise State
Fresno State
San Diego State
UNLV
Colorado State

$$$Central Div$$$
Wichita/Army
Tulsa
SMU
North Texas
UT-San Antonio
Rice
Tulane
Memphis

$$$East Div$$$
VCU/Navy
Temple
East Carolina
UNC Charlotte
UA Birmingham
Georgia State
South Florida
Florida Atlantic

24 AAC
20 BigTen *will be 24 down the road
16 SEC *will be 20-24 down the road
16 Big12 *prob be 20-24 down the road
ACC and Pac are history and we have a P4 and a G3 left over…12 team playoff with 5 conf champs + 7 at larges.

I see 8 WAC-16 schools there who would all be leery of creating something like this. AAC may be opportunistic if MWC instability causes Air Force and Colorado State to look toward the AAC. But I doubt the AAC schools have the appetite for this truly “American” coast to coast conference.
10-07-2022 07:49 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators

I am with you 100%. C-USA3.5 at 11 teams is great fun this year with almost every football game played meaningful. And the division-less Big 12 is amazing to watch.

The larger the conference, the more the programs drift apart leading to implosions like C-USA 3.0 and the WAC-16.
10-07-2022 07:53 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(10-06-2022 07:13 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  
(10-06-2022 05:11 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

But maybe we'll see.

If the PAC mostly holds together (but, let’s say peels away one-to-thee MwC’s… I could definitely see a couple Colorado schools (csu/afa) heading to AAC. And if they are coming… then a couple west coast teams could come along also (fresno/sdsu) if they don’t get plucked by pac first.

The pac will not disappear even if it “implodes”.

OK, if the scenario unfolds that the PAC strips the MW of its top two or three schools, then I agree the AAC could be appealing to other MW schools.

Of course, since the PAC will be taking the top MW schools, one has to wonder if there will be any MW left-behinds that add value to the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2022 11:49 AM by quo vadis.)
10-07-2022 08:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.