Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

*** Official Bird Brawl Game Thread: Rice @ North Texas 1pm ESPN+***
Bookmark and Share
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
This game has a lot riding on it, so I thought I'd get a thread started. UNT is looking to earn a spot in the conference title game against USTA, and Rice needs the win to gain bowl eligibility and perhaps secure Bloomgren's job at Rice. The line currently favors UNT by 14.
11-22-2022 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: *** Official Bird Brawl Game Thread: Rice @ North Texas 1pm ESPN+***
(11-22-2022 05:25 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  This game has a lot riding on it, so I thought I'd get a thread started. UNT is looking to earn a spot in the conference title game against USTA, and Rice needs the win to gain bowl eligibility and perhaps secure Bloomgren's job at Rice. The line currently favors UNT by 14.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footbal...orth-texas

Rice (5-6) at North Texas (6-5)
There’s been plenty of talks that Stanford’s David Shaw could be eyeing an exit soon, putting former Cardinal offensive coordinator and current Rice head coach Mike Bloomgren on a very short list of replacements. If Bloomgren wants any kind of serious consideration, he needs a bowl season on his Rice resume, and the Owls desperately need positive momentum headed to the AAC. Meanwhile, North Texas and Seth Littrell's future is still up in the air. With a win, UNT is headed for the C-USA title game. Is that enough?

I would pay Stanford to take Bloomgren off our hands.
11-22-2022 05:29 PM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

(11-22-2022 05:29 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  
(11-22-2022 05:25 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  This game has a lot riding on it, so I thought I'd get a thread started. UNT is looking to earn a spot in the conference title game against USTA, and Rice needs the win to gain bowl eligibility and perhaps secure Bloomgren's job at Rice. The line currently favors UNT by 14.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footbal...orth-texas

Rice (5-6) at North Texas (6-5)
There’s been plenty of talks that Stanford’s David Shaw could be eyeing an exit soon, putting former Cardinal offensive coordinator and current Rice head coach Mike Bloomgren on a very short list of replacements. If Bloomgren wants any kind of serious consideration, he needs a bowl season on his Rice resume, and the Owls desperately need positive momentum headed to the AAC. Meanwhile, North Texas and Seth Littrell's future is still up in the air. With a win, UNT is headed for the C-USA title game. Is that enough?

I would pay Stanford to take Bloomgren off our hands.

Not to be mean but Stanford would be stupid to hire Bloomgren. He has not done much since taking over at Rice. Both of our programs need new coaches. Fan apathy is setting in, and neither of us can afford that as we move to the AAC.
11-22-2022 06:27 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(11-22-2022 06:27 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  Not to be mean but Stanford would be stupid to hire Bloomgren. He has not done much since taking over at Rice. Both of our programs need new coaches. Fan apathy is setting in, and neither of us can afford that as we move to the AAC.

I think this Stanford talk started early in the season when Bloomgren beat Louisiana and UAB. Rice has not been the same since Charlotte exposed its weaknesses at our Homecoming game. This writer is making your point by trying to find something of interest. I expect North Texas to win 38-10 and extend the Rice Losing streak to 3. But Rice gets the 5-7 APR Bowl and North Texas gets another shot at UTSA for the championship.

It will be more interesting to watch what happens to Bloomgren and Littrelll in December. I’m willing to wager that North Texas makes a coaching change and Rice extends the Bloomgren contract. Maybe Bloomgren turns it down and leaves on his own.
11-23-2022 06:37 AM
owl at the moon Online
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
The fact that Rice was deeper this year than most meant that our season was not over when our QB1 went down in the 2Q of opening day. Some might argue that having QB1b step in to take the reins made the difference in winning some games that in other seasons might have gotten away.

Our MO has been talented but inconsistent, and in the first half we had enough players on both sides that one unit could pick up the team when the other had a let-up.

As injuries to key players on both sides mounted, that Houdini act became a lot harder to pull off.

We have the talent to pull this off. Will need a couple breaks but I still think Rice wins to get to .500
11-23-2022 08:57 AM
owl at the moon Online
Eastern Screech Owl

Also, “Bird Brawl”?
Owls don’t brawl.

We swoop in and attack when you least expect it.

14 point underdog… “just where we want ‘em”
11-23-2022 09:08 AM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(11-23-2022 09:08 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Also, “Bird Brawl”?

A match between a Great Horned Owl and an Eagle would be worth buying a ticket.
11-23-2022 09:50 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Mike Bloomgren is a bad coach who only cares about himself. No one likes him. Over thirty players are leaving the program again. Hopefully, his head coaching career is over on Saturday afternoon. I'll be damn mad if he coaches us in the Loser Bowl. What an embarrassment.
11-23-2022 10:31 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(11-23-2022 08:57 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  The fact that Rice was deeper this year than most meant that our season was not over when our QB1 went down in the 2Q of opening day. Some might argue that having QB1b step in to take the reins made the difference in winning some games that in other seasons might have gotten away.

Our MO has been talented but inconsistent, and in the first half we had enough players on both sides that one unit could pick up the team when the other had a let-up.

As injuries to key players on both sides mounted, that Houdini act became a lot harder to pull off.

We have the talent to pull this off. Will need a couple breaks but I still think Rice wins to get to .500

I was on the Rice Fight Never Dies bandwagon for the 2022 football season until Charlotte 56 Rice 23. Jumped right over to the This Must be the End of Mike Bloomgren bandwagon early in the third quarter of that game. Wish I could say Charlotte was just a mulligan game every team is allowed once in a while. But the Western Kentucky and UTSA game results say Bloomgren has not delivered in year 5. I expect the North Texas result to reinforce that opinion.
11-23-2022 11:07 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(11-23-2022 11:07 AM)ESE84 Wrote:  
(11-23-2022 08:57 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  The fact that Rice was deeper this year than most meant that our season was not over when our QB1 went down in the 2Q of opening day. Some might argue that having QB1b step in to take the reins made the difference in winning some games that in other seasons might have gotten away.

I was on the Rice Fight Never Dies bandwagon for the 2022 football season until Charlotte 56 Rice 23. Jumped right over to the This Must be the End of Mike Bloomgren bandwagon early in the third quarter of that game. Wish I could say Charlotte was just a mulligan game every team is allowed once in a while. But the Western Kentucky and UTSA game results say Bloomgren has not delivered in year 5. I expect the North Texas result to reinforce that opinion.

Yeah I want him gone now. I have never personally disliked a Rice coach until this one was hired. The guy is full of himself. He cares nothing about his players. I'd love to see the AD fired as well for doing such a poor job, but I know that will never happen, because all of our athletes graduate, and that's all that really matters to Rice.

I can't even enjoy the game this weekend. As badly as I want the Owls to win a sixth game, I couldn't handle Bloomgren getting a contract extension. I'm not pulling for a loss by any means, but we're headed to a bowl game anyway, and losing this game is the only way to get Bloomgren fired...one would expect.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2022 11:32 AM by Ourland.)
11-23-2022 11:32 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(11-23-2022 11:32 AM)Ourland Wrote:  I have never personally disliked a Rice coach until this one was hired.

you ever meet Bo Hagan.?

I personally disliked Todd Graham before he had been our coach a week.
11-23-2022 11:50 AM
Advertisement

Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

Owls don’t brawl.

It was the first thing that came to my mind. I'll consider suggestions for the thread title if you have any.
11-23-2022 05:12 PM
2mean Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: guess
(11-23-2022 05:12 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
Owls don’t brawl.

It was the first thing that came to my mind. I'll consider suggestions for the thread title if you have any.

Fowl Bowl???
11-23-2022 05:53 PM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

Will the MOB be attending the game?
11-23-2022 07:41 PM
owl at the moon Online
Eastern Screech Owl

(11-23-2022 07:41 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  Will the MOB be attending the game?

Usually they get to travel to one game a year and they went to the season opener at USC. I hope they do make it but it is unlikely.
11-23-2022 10:24 PM
owl at the moon Online
Eastern Screech Owl

(11-23-2022 05:53 PM)2mean Wrote:  
Owls don’t brawl.

Fowl Bowl???

Owls and Eagles are both Birds of Prey.

Most of my brainstorms were tacky plays on the word “pray”.

Preyer Circle was about as far as I got before I had to just step away from the keyboard…

We really need a proper rivalry title though… anyone else?
11-23-2022 10:32 PM
Advertisement

galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
Go Rice! Owl' be cheering for you all. Signed, WKU Fan.
11-24-2022 10:48 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(11-23-2022 10:32 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  
(11-23-2022 05:53 PM)2mean Wrote:  
Owls don’t brawl.

Fowl Bowl???

Owls and Eagles are both Birds of Prey.

Most of my brainstorms were tacky plays on the word “pray”.

Preyer Circle was about as far as I got before I had to just step away from the keyboard…

We really need a proper rivalry title though… anyone else?

How about the Dumb Vs. Smart Bowl. And it's not what some of you think because Owls are actually quite dumb in relation to other birds, certainly below Eagles. How's that for irony? But on the serious side, how about "Raptor Bowl", or something similar?
11-24-2022 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Feather Duster?

The Talon Bowl?

The Screech Bowl?

The Good Eyesight Bowl?
11-24-2022 11:43 AM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

North Texas uniforms for Saturday.

https://twitter.com/MeanGreenFB/status/1...f886IsAAAA

They kind of remind me of the ones we wore on Halloween back in 2013.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2022 07:10 PM by Side.Show.Joe.)
11-24-2022 07:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.