Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC & Pac12 exploring merger in 5 years: Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
ACC & Pac12 exploring merger in 5 years: Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference
An Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference could offer media partners some outstanding big-name college sports brands in all four time zones starting at noon on the East coast, heading into the Central, Mountain, and ending the night on the Pacific coast. We are talking Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse in the East, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, and North Carolina in the South, for now, SMU in the Central, Colorado, and Utah in the Mountains then it is Arizona, Arizona State, Cal Oregon, Stanford, and Washington out West.

That is a mega-conference with the star power and the media markets to land a big media deal. This would take four or five years to work out, but it would be time well spent if it could be pulled off.

There remains an open channel between the ACC and The Pac-12 about ways they can work together in the future. Merger talks are not a dream or a media hyped story there is clearly room for some serious conversations.

Link
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zengernews/...6dd95d6973
02-26-2023 08:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GTFletch Offline
All American

RE: ACC & Pac12 exploring merger in 5 years: Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference
Forbes reports that following the Pac 12's media negotiations, talks are likely to resume between the Pac 12 & ACC regarding a partnership known as the APAC (Atlantic-Pacific Ath. Conf.) Both conferences believe the merger would lead to greater media deal in 4 yrs time. Would you be in favor of seeing the two conferences merge?

Link
https://twitter.com/Sidelines_SN/status/...89/photo/1
02-26-2023 08:38 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
RE: ACC & Pac12 exploring merger in 5 years: Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference
(02-26-2023 08:02 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  An Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference could offer media partners some outstanding big-name college sports brands in all four time zones starting at noon on the East coast, heading into the Central, Mountain, and ending the night on the Pacific coast. We are talking Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse in the East, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, and North Carolina VT/Louisville in the South, for now, SMU in the Central, Colorado, and Utah in the Mountains then it is Arizona, Arizona State, Cal Oregon, Stanford, and Washington out West.

That is a mega-conference with the star power and the media markets to land a big media deal. This would take four or five years to work out, but it would be time well spent if it could be pulled off.

There remains an open channel between the ACC and The Pac-12 about ways they can work together in the future. Merger talks are not a dream or a media hyped story there is clearly room for some serious conversations.

Link
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zengernews/...6dd95d6973

there’s your requisite 8 for dissolution ..
I’m not messing around ...

A(I)PAC
02-26-2023 08:39 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham and university president Kevin Guskiewicz discussed the idea of a merger between the ACC and the Pac-12 to text messages obtained by The News and Observer.

“Should we explore a partnership with the Pac 12(?)” Cunningham texted.
Guskiewicz replied: “We could have a super conference both athletically and academically. Probably would need to be called the Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference (APAC).”

Link
https://frontofficesports.com/newsletter...rger-talk/
02-26-2023 08:41 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
This could work for everybody. FSU gets to leave, and the ACC & PAC schools build a stable #3 conference together instead of scrambling for spots in the the Big XII.
02-26-2023 08:45 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(02-26-2023 08:41 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham and university president Kevin Guskiewicz discussed the idea of a merger between the ACC and the Pac-12 to text messages obtained by The News and Observer.

Guskiewicz replied: “We could have a super conference both athletically and academically. Probably would need to be called the Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference (APAC).”

Link

I take back what I said about unc ...

PROGENITOR
02-26-2023 08:56 PM
Advertisement

SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ASU
(02-26-2023 08:41 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham and university president Kevin Guskiewicz discussed the idea of a merger between the ACC and the Pac-12 to text messages obtained by The News and Observer.

Link

Nothing that surfaces in the News and Observer first is the actual ACC position it is only an opinion fed to the N&O from UNC-Ch or Duke. If it's real, Dave Teel will write about it.
02-26-2023 08:56 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
It’s gotta be some sort of alliance rather than a combined conference unless there is a provision to have 2 guaranteed playoff spots and the Rose and Orange bowl. Otherwise, why? Such an alliance could probably be worked out relatively quickly, a conference merger would definitely take much longer to work out the details.
02-26-2023 09:27 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
As a Pitt fan living on the west coast I'd enjoy seeing Pitt games in Oregon and Washington.... but at the same time, um.... why? I see this benefitting teams out west than the teams out east. Bulk of the west isn't thriving with recruits worth tapping into nor is that late night time slot really worth that much. Nobody will be rushing to see FSU play at Oregon at 10PM EST. FSU at Oregon at 5PM PST is a much better timeslot for all but is that really adding anything when that's a prime-time game that could be scheduled as a non-conference game week 1. Not a knock on either school. I see the WC as even more worthless than New England. It's just not a college market, nor is it worth tapping into. I'd much rather cherry pick the 4 corner schools, Oregon and Washington, and call it a day. Standford and Cal = meh and if the B1G really wants them, so be it. But even that's pushing it. PAC just might as well go the way that the Ivy League did.
02-27-2023 02:58 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
I think I like the idea of the merger, in some regard. Not sure how to divvy up the playoff spots and bowls, but the idea of having pods across the country and some travel back and forth sounds fun. I'd also imagine both Fox & ESPN could/would tag team the contract for both to fill their noon thru midnight slates. Also with game time starts, if say UofL at Utah & Oregon in a year, both would start no later than 8pm est and if those teams are at UofL would start no earlier than 2/3pm est.

Whatever they're all working on, doesn't sound like they're close on anything, or I don't think we would have seen the FSU presentation Friday.
02-27-2023 07:27 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

02-27-2023 07:42 AM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(02-27-2023 07:42 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  https://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2022/...viewership

What this tells me is that the 4 corner states don't move any needle. Colorado should get some jump due to Deion. However, how long does that last once the nostalgia wears off? Cal is worse off than Boston College, so I'm not sure exactly what they really bring. And frankly, WSU and OSU has more value to them than meets the eye, in terms of overall viewership.
02-27-2023 08:09 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

(02-27-2023 08:09 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(02-27-2023 07:42 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  https://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2022/...viewership

What this tells me is that the 4 corner states don't move any needle. Colorado should get some jump due to Deion. However, how long does that last once the nostalgia wears off? Cal is worse off than Boston College, so I'm not sure exactly what they really bring. And frankly, WSU and OSU has more value to them than meets the eye, in terms of overall viewership.

Yeah, the higher up the rankings than expected teams are certainly Wazu, Or St, GT, and K-State....then on the other end were BYU, UNC, and TCU...

As far as plucking the best from Pac 12, it all depends on if they're blood brothers at this point since USC/UCLA left and what the TV guys would say about it being enough inventory...they may still need Cal at BC and Wake at Arizona to fill out the allottment of games once done with with all the Showcase games are put together.
02-27-2023 08:27 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad

That graph should show how many games total. Carolina probably has all their blowout games vs FCS teams on TV that people turn off or don't tune-in, whereas BC vs Maine isn't on any of those channels.
02-27-2023 08:44 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Also, the idea behind this should be a media deal merger (if possible) with separate conferences that guarantee some marquee games, not an entire Big 8 absorbs the best of the SWC deal—although that would be preferable to a complete merger.
02-27-2023 08:46 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(02-27-2023 08:27 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  
(02-27-2023 08:09 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  

Yeah, the higher up the rankings than expected teams are certainly Wazu, Or St, GT, and K-State....then on the other end were BYU, UNC, and TCU...

As far as plucking the best from Pac 12, it all depends on if they're blood brothers at this point since USC/UCLA left and what the TV guys would say about it being enough inventory...they may still need Cal at BC and Wake at Arizona to fill out the allottment of games once done with with all the Showcase games are put together.

11 of the top 20 schools are of the ACC and 5 are of the PAC... I'm totally not seeing how an APAC is really going to result in a payout much larger than it currently is.
02-27-2023 08:47 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(02-27-2023 08:27 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Yeah, the higher up the rankings than expected teams are certainly Wazu, Or St, GT, and K-State....

You should see the ratings GT pulls when it isn't being coached by the worst FB coach in the history of the Institute and a witless Pastner goof who collects loses to one bid leagues like they were Pokemon. Just imagine the ratings if it was Bobby Ross and Bobby Cremmins times instead.
02-27-2023 10:07 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-27-2023 10:07 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(02-27-2023 08:27 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Yeah, the higher up the rankings than expected teams are certainly Wazu, Or St, GT, and K-State....

You should see the ratings GT pulls when it isn't being coached by the worst FB coach in the history of the Institute and a witless Pastner goof who collects loses to one bid leagues like they were Pokemon. Just imagine the ratings if it was Bobby Ross and Bobby Cremmins times instead.

So, GIT out there and hire the next Bobby Ross and the next Bobby Cremmins!
07-coffee3
02-27-2023 10:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(02-27-2023 10:11 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

So, GIT out there and hire the next Bobby Ross and the next Bobby Cremmins!
07-coffee3

Got the right President.

Jury is out on the AD. We'll get more evidence after he hires Pastner's replacement.
02-27-2023 10:28 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I'm here for it! Better GT ratings helps you guys and the ACC!
02-27-2023 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.