Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Canzano: Pac-12 dominos will start falling on Tuesday
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Canzano: Pac-12 dominos will start falling on Tuesday
https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac-1...n-tuesday/

Quote:If you’re a fan of a Pac-12 school, circle next Tuesday, March 21st, on your calendar.

That is when the Pac-12 CEO group meets next. They will not meet again until April 10th.

Media rights remains at the top of the agenda, and John Canzano says the finish line is in sight.

“I think this meeting that’s coming up next Tuesday is really important,” Canzano said Wednesday on 750 The Game. “I do think there’s some motivation from the presidents and chancellors to wrap this.”

Canzano says he expects new players like Amazon and Apple to be part of the media deal in addition to ESPN.

“I do think what’s going to happen is I think the Pac-12 is going to end up with ESPN for its tier-1 rights, I think you’re going to see Apple and Amazon come in with a streaming service for the tier-two rights – the Pac-12 Networks games – I think it will be blended together.”

Canzano also says there could be news on conference expansion with the Pac-12 even before a media rights deal is finalized, and that San Diego State and SMU are the leaders in the clubhouse to be invited.

“I think we might get that [expansion news] before we get the media rights news,” Canzano said. “What I’m thinking is SMU and San Diego State will probably be informed by the Pac-12, ‘hey, we’re extending an invitation’, or, ‘we’re not’, prior to the announcement of the deal. Because they’re not going to want to be left going, ‘hey, we have a deal’, and a day later, ‘oh, we’re announcing SMU and San Diego State’. So I almost expect we’re going to get a leak on the expansion front first.”

Should the Pac-12 successfully announce expansion into southern California with San Diego State and the state of Texas with SMU, while also securing media rights valued in a range comparable or surpassing the Big 12’s most recent deal, Canzano says folks in Big 12 country will not be happy.

“I just don’t think that the chicken littles out there that are looking at the sky, saying ‘oh the Pac-12’s imploding, oh, the imminent demise!’, I think in the end they’re going to end up holding the bag.”

“I don’t see the ’12-anons’ – the Q-anon Big 12 people – I don’t see the ’12-anons’ walking away from this feeling very good.”

The full audio clip is at the bottom of the article.
03-18-2023 03:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mean Green Alum Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNT
RE: Canzano: Pac-12 dominos will start falling on Tuesday
Part of me wants to say, "Thank goodness this is coming to an end soon"...

But the other part does not want me to be disappointed if it doesn't. 07-coffee3
03-18-2023 03:57 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
John Canzano: “I don’t see the ’12anons’ walking away from this feeling very good.”

Also this:

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-pa...back-as-tv
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 04:33 AM by Gitanole.)
03-18-2023 04:30 AM
IM Snug Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Washington Huskies
12anons! 03-lmfao

There are a ton of 12anons on this board, and they are indeed silent today. They must be depressed. 03-banghead
03-18-2023 05:37 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I always thought there is a 60% chance the PAC stays together, until and unless BIG comes back for another feeding. Everything hinges on TV, and if it is north of 25 mil I think they stay. That said I think the BIG comes back in 5 years for another serving.
03-18-2023 06:28 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(03-18-2023 06:28 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  I always thought there is a 60% chance the PAC stays together, until and unless BIG comes back for another feeding. Everything hinges on TV, and if it is north of 25 mil I think they stay. That said I think the BIG comes back in 5 years for another serving.

Big 10 Presidents don't want anymore. It was Warren who wanted more. Now he is gone, and the new commish would concentrate on the real target to pressure Notre Dame to join.
03-18-2023 06:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PlayBall! Online
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
Because we were asleep, as you should have been? Who is losing sleep?

For the PAC, hopefully this story is true. If not, there are options now for the first ~2 teams. Otherwise at the end of the ~6 year deal. Unless ~4+ ACC's teams bolt early to the B1G and SEC, and others get the few remaining slots.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 06:32 AM by PlayBall!.)
03-18-2023 06:31 AM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
In my opinion, they should add Tulane, but it looks like it's just SDSU + SMU?
03-18-2023 06:37 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-18-2023 06:31 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(03-18-2023 06:28 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  I always thought there is a 60% chance the PAC stays together, until and unless BIG comes back for another feeding. Everything hinges on TV, and if it is north of 25 mil I think they stay. That said I think the BIG comes back in 5 years for another serving.

Big 10 Presidents don't want anymore. It was Warren who wanted more. Now he is gone, and the new commish would concentrate on the real target to pressure Notre Dame to join.

I agree on that today. That is why I said in 5 years. In the long run I think USC/UCLA needs some more in the far west.
03-18-2023 06:38 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(03-18-2023 06:37 AM)Yosef181 Wrote:  In my opinion, they should add Tulane, but it looks like it's just SDSU + SMU?

They won’t add anyone IMO
03-18-2023 07:06 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(03-18-2023 05:37 AM)IM Snug Wrote:  12anons! 03-lmfao

There are a ton of 12anons on this board, and they are indeed silent today. They must be depressed. 03-banghead

Yeah I doubt it. But I’d place a pretty large wager that the Big 12 will continue to outperform the PAC on the field and the court as it’s done convincingly over the past decade or so.

The ratings of those Amazon stream ratings going up against games on linear TV will be fascinating to watch.
03-18-2023 07:09 AM
Advertisement

andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(03-18-2023 03:57 AM)Mean Green Alum Wrote:  Part of me wants to say, "Thank goodness this is coming to an end soon"...

But the other part does not want me to be disappointed if it doesn't. 07-coffee3

All of this is much ado about nothing.
03-18-2023 07:23 AM
djsuperfly Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(03-18-2023 06:31 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Stop speaking unequivocally about things there are no proof of.
03-18-2023 08:00 AM
PlayBall! Online
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
(03-18-2023 07:23 AM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(03-18-2023 03:57 AM)Mean Green Alum Wrote:  Part of me wants to say, "Thank goodness this is coming to an end soon"...

All of this is much ado about nothing.

Let's hope that (yet another) RT {Realignment Tuesday} doesn't disappoint! 04-cheers
03-18-2023 08:44 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-18-2023 03:26 AM)Alanda Wrote:  https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac-1...n-tuesday/

Quote:If you’re a fan of a Pac-12 school, circle next Tuesday, March 21st, on your calendar.

That is when the Pac-12 CEO group meets next. They will not meet again until April 10th.

Media rights remains at the top of the agenda, and John Canzano says the finish line is in sight.

“I think this meeting that’s coming up next Tuesday is really important,” Canzano said Wednesday on 750 The Game. “I do think there’s some motivation from the presidents and chancellors to wrap this.”

Canzano says he expects new players like Amazon and Apple to be part of the media deal in addition to ESPN.

“I do think what’s going to happen is I think the Pac-12 is going to end up with ESPN for its tier-1 rights, I think you’re going to see Apple and Amazon come in with a streaming service for the tier-two rights – the Pac-12 Networks games – I think it will be blended together.”

Canzano also says there could be news on conference expansion with the Pac-12 even before a media rights deal is finalized, and that San Diego State and SMU are the leaders in the clubhouse to be invited.

“I think we might get that [expansion news] before we get the media rights news,” Canzano said. “What I’m thinking is SMU and San Diego State will probably be informed by the Pac-12, ‘hey, we’re extending an invitation’, or, ‘we’re not’, prior to the announcement of the deal. Because they’re not going to want to be left going, ‘hey, we have a deal’, and a day later, ‘oh, we’re announcing SMU and San Diego State’. So I almost expect we’re going to get a leak on the expansion front first.”

Should the Pac-12 successfully announce expansion into southern California with San Diego State and the state of Texas with SMU, while also securing media rights valued in a range comparable or surpassing the Big 12’s most recent deal, Canzano says folks in Big 12 country will not be happy.

“I just don’t think that the chicken littles out there that are looking at the sky, saying ‘oh the Pac-12’s imploding, oh, the imminent demise!’, I think in the end they’re going to end up holding the bag.”

“I don’t see the ’12-anons’ – the Q-anon Big 12 people – I don’t see the ’12-anons’ walking away from this feeling very good.”

They are meeting on Tuesday. But if any decisions and/or announcements are to be made that day (or Wednesday) there must first be a concrete media deal to approve. If that step is not completed, this will have to drag on whether presidents want it to or not.

And while the next scheduled meeting isn't until April 10, there is no reason there can't be a special meeting before then to approve a media deal.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 09:00 AM by ken d.)
03-18-2023 08:58 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(03-18-2023 03:26 AM)Alanda Wrote:  https://www.750thegame.com/canzano-pac-1...n-tuesday/

Rumor I have heard from the few contacts I have within the PAC is that it will be 100% Streaming (Amazon &/or Apple) with sublicense games to ESPN &/or Sripps Sports (ION) very similar to the 2010 ACC Contract where ESPN had 100% of the rights but sublicense a package of games to Raycom & Jefferson Pilot Sports to be aired on their OTT network of broadcast stations. Or even Simulcast the streaming games with Sripps Sports and the streaming company for the games not sublicensed to ESPN.

It will be interesting, if true this could keep the Pac together , especially if the PAC can get the Pac-12 Network fully distributed nationally or sold as part of this deal.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2023 09:00 AM by GTFletch.)
03-18-2023 08:59 AM
Advertisement

esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(03-18-2023 07:06 AM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  
(03-18-2023 06:37 AM)Yosef181 Wrote:  In my opinion, they should add Tulane, but it looks like it's just SDSU + SMU?

They won’t add anyone IMO

They won’t add a school at a full share, that’s for certain.

San Diego State has a ton of upside, even if not in LA, San Diego is a giant market without an NFL team.

SMU has unlimited potential through NIL with their willing alumni base.
03-18-2023 09:17 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama

He could be right, but this sounds like a kindergartener sticking his tongue out on the playground.

These aren't the words of a dispassionate journalist. This is the cable news version of sport talk. And that's why I always have to take statements like this with a grain of salt. He wants it to be true too badly...
03-18-2023 09:35 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
The devil's in the details.
03-18-2023 09:37 AM
World Wide Swag Offline
Banned

I Root For: $MU and Vols
So at the end (14:30 mark) Canzano estimates the deal will be $32M per school with the addition of SDSU/SMU pushing it to $33M per school.
03-18-2023 09:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.