Bookmark and Share
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
NMSU men's Basketball coaching search
Update here.

Confirmed names include:

Austin Claunch, Nicholls State

Bob Richey, Furman - Not as likely now as it would have been a few days ago.

Jason Hooten, Sam Houston

Dedrique Taylor, CSU-Fullerton

Josh Pastner, prev. Georgia Tech

Danny Sprinkle, Montana State

Kermit Davis, prev. Ole Miss

Preston Spradlin, Morehead State

Greg Lansing, prev. Indiana State

Dave Rice, prev. UNLV
03-19-2023 06:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: NMSU men's Basketball coaching search
Latest rumor it's SHSU's Hooten. Late Sun. night.

@RumorsCoach twitter, about 10:00 pm, MT
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2023 11:56 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
03-19-2023 11:50 PM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

Has Richey’s name been mentioned for other schools?
03-20-2023 08:44 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Any updates??
03-20-2023 11:04 PM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

(03-20-2023 11:04 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Any updates??

Nothing solid yet but more Twitter folks saying all signs are pointing to Hooten. I’d be happy with the hire as I always respected the style of play he’s had at SHSU. The only reservation I would have it that I don’t like poaching coaches or players from an another conference member. Just a personal thing that doesn’t seem quite right to me. But that’s probably why I wouldn’t be a good businessman.

BTW congrats on Lutz! Seems solid. Looking forward to renewing the series with y’all next year.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2023 06:21 AM by YesCubanB.)
03-21-2023 06:19 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

@YesCubanB I also like the idea of Hooten, but your reservation on a conference coach is similar to mine. I know that it is different, but this reminds me somewhat of Jans leaving NMSU to go to UNM. Two different states, so not exactly the same, but I do not imagine his reception will be the best when he visits SHSU the first time.
03-21-2023 07:08 AM
Advertisement

Scout54ever Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TSU
He's a Tarleton grad, are you still interested?
03-21-2023 07:56 AM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

(03-21-2023 07:56 AM)Scout54ever Wrote:  He's a Tarleton grad, are you still interested?

Well, if I had known that he wouldn't have been in the finalist list!!! I kid, I kid. All I want is someone with a steady hand that can have some level of success over the next few years. If we have to stoop to hire a Tarleton grad, then so be it.

For those that don't catch it, I am being a smart a.. about the whole Tarleton thing.

GO AGGIES!!!!
03-21-2023 08:04 AM
TexanFan Online
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
(03-21-2023 07:56 AM)Scout54ever Wrote:  He's a Tarleton grad, are you still interested?

He!! yes, and it’s why he is the best qualified candidate!!!!
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2023 09:19 AM by TexanFan.)
03-21-2023 09:18 AM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

lol we’re hiring a guy from the schools that have ties to both IllegitimateTexan and SammyH. What are we getting ourselves into?
03-21-2023 09:21 AM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

(03-21-2023 09:21 AM)YesCubanB Wrote:  lol we’re hiring a guy from the schools that have ties to both IllegitimateTexan and SammyH. What are we getting ourselves into?

It would only be better if he had ties to CSU-Bakersfield. What was that poster's name ...

It is interesting to note that NMSU must pay more that SHSU, and is perceived as a better job as well.
03-21-2023 10:20 AM
Advertisement

PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(03-21-2023 07:08 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  @YesCubanB I also like the idea of Hooten, but your reservation on a conference coach is similar to mine. I know that it is different, but this reminds me somewhat of Jans leaving NMSU to go to UNM. Two different states, so not exactly the same, but I do not imagine his reception will be the best when he visits SHSU the first time.

Dr. Judas Arnold left NMSU for NuM, not Jans.
03-21-2023 02:53 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State

03-21-2023 03:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(03-21-2023 10:20 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  
(03-21-2023 09:21 AM)YesCubanB Wrote:  lol we’re hiring a guy from the schools that have ties to both IllegitimateTexan and SammyH. What are we getting ourselves into?

It would only be better if he had ties to CSU-Bakersfield. What was that poster's name ...

It is interesting to note that NMSU must pay more that SHSU, and is perceived as a better job as well.

Had the same thoughts about pay and perceptions. Hope whoever NMSU lands brings stability and gets things back on track for Aggie fans quickly.
03-21-2023 04:05 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(03-21-2023 04:05 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

Had the same thoughts about pay and perceptions. Hope whoever NMSU lands brings stability and gets things back on track for Aggie fans quickly.

Hooten's base salary at SHSU was $232,000. Reports state NMSU is offering north of $400k base salary. We have also historically had built in bonuses and a variety of incentives that push the overall pay higher.

Do you not think NMSU is a better "job" than SHSU? Better facilities. Better history. Better fan support. More money. Seems clear to me, but I'm biased.
03-21-2023 04:12 PM
TexanFan Online
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
[/quote]
Do you not think NMSU is a better "job" than SHSU? Better facilities. Better history. Better fan support. More money. Seems clear to me, but I'm biased.
[/quote]

Yes, NMSU is a better job than Sam.
03-21-2023 04:43 PM
Advertisement

gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(03-21-2023 04:12 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

Hooten's base salary at SHSU was $232,000. Reports state NMSU is offering north of $400k base salary. We have also historically had built in bonuses and a variety of incentives that push the overall pay higher.

There wasn't really a value judgement along with that realization, for me anyway. It was more like, "Oh, I guess NMSU is a step up from Sam Houston then." I suppose I had never really considered comparing the status of each program against the other in that way before.
03-21-2023 05:07 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(03-21-2023 05:07 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(03-21-2023 04:12 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

There wasn't really a value judgement along with that realization, for me anyway. It was more like, "Oh, I guess NMSU is a step up from Sam Houston then." I suppose I had never really considered comparing the status of each program against the other in that way before.

NMSU's basketball budget is almost 4-times larger than Sam Houston's. And Grand Canyon's basketball budget is over 6-times larger. Both NMSU and GCU are a major upgrade from what Sam Houston is giving Hooten to run their basketball program.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2023 05:38 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
03-21-2023 05:38 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA

Of course NMSU is a better job. Two NCAA appearances, smaller budget, a sub-par arena and 1,000 fans a game average tends to detract from a conference peer school.
03-21-2023 05:51 PM
Todor Online
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
I’m not sure I believe any of these internet rumors. For one, if we were simply interviewing candidates in the order they were available to come for an interview, Hooten would probably be the last one. I wonder if someone read more into the timing than should be? Other candidates seasons ended a while ago. Sams ran much later.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2023 05:59 PM by Todor.)
03-21-2023 07:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.