Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If UConn Had Invites Today To The ACC and Big XII, Would It Join Either?
IWantToTalkToRalphSampson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Addams College
If UConn Had Invites Today To The ACC and Big XII, Would It Join Either?
Now that the Huskies have claimed a 5th title in MBB without having football in a conference, I don't know that there is as much pressure to get into an all-sports league that sponsors FBS football. That said, if, now in 2023, UConn had the option to leave the Big East and join either the ACC or the Big XII, do we think it would do so, and if it it did, which conference would it pick? Would having both FB and MBB in a league with Duke, Carolina, and Virginia, plus old Big East foes Syracuse, Miami, Pitt, BC, Louisville, and VPI, be more appealing, despite the ACC's GOR issues and the saber rattling from FSU and Clemson? Would they prefer to join a league with recent MBB champions Kansas and Baylor, plus strong MBB schools like K-State, Houston, and Iowa State, good FB teams like UCF, BYU, OK State, and TCU, as well as ex-Big East foes WVU and Cincinatti? Or do they stand pat? Doesn't seem like an obvious answer to me.
04-04-2023 01:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
RE: If UConn Had Invites Today To The ACC and Big XII, Would It Join Either?
Just invite UConn, Cincinnati,WVU and maybe USF and it would almost be a merger of Big East and ACC football and Basketball schools minus Rutgers Maryland. But makes too much sense for it to happen
04-04-2023 01:37 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
No brainer. They join the ACC if invited. They join the Big 12 if they invite and ACC doesn't.
04-04-2023 01:47 PM
mike012779 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
I would vote yes to either. For all sports obviously . If Syracuse and Boston college weren’t so short sighted and afraid. UConn would have been pushed for membership creating a better Northeast presence in the Acc which would have helped all 3. Instead they laughed at there great decision while putting themselves on an island in a southern conference. While Uconn now rules the region again. A hot bed for basketball recruits.
04-04-2023 01:48 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(04-04-2023 01:48 PM)mike012779 Wrote:  I would vote yes to either. For all sports obviously . If Syracuse and Boston college weren’t so short sighted and afraid. UConn would have been pushed for membership creating a better Northeast presence in the Acc which would have helped all 3. Instead they laughed at there great decision while putting themselves on an island in a southern conference. While Uconn now rules the region again. A hot bed for basketball recruits.

Congratulations on your win last night Mike!
04-04-2023 01:53 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Yes. Next.
04-04-2023 01:56 PM
Advertisement

forphase1 Online
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Yes, no doubt. They say yes before the question is even fully asked.
04-04-2023 02:03 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Absolutely, UConn would take an ACC or Big 12 invite today.

And if it hypothetically did not (and as I've posted previously), UConn should either drop football to FCS level or ax the sport altogether.
04-04-2023 02:11 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Uconn would take either ACC B12 all sports in a heartbeat. That said they no doubt would prefer ACC.
04-04-2023 02:14 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
I’ve been championing UConn for a little while now. If the ACC wants to complete their conquest of the NE area this just about does it. I’d like to see UConn football get slowly introduced for their own benefit, no need to jump right in the deep end and lose by 30 points every game. Their current scheduling right now is perfect.
04-04-2023 02:23 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(04-04-2023 01:47 PM)bullet Wrote:  No brainer. They join the ACC if invited. They join the Big 12 if they invite and ACC doesn't.

^^^ This. Absolutely zero hesitation on UConn's part. They'd get both invites, call a perfunctory meeting, ask about everyone's kids for 10 minutes to make it look they were actually "meeting", then announce that they were accepting the ACC invite. The ACC is the perfect Conference for UConn, they're a true Brand in Basketball but also care a lot about football, and they're not far from a whole passel ACC schools. FSU's desire to leave is 13 years in the future, likely after every current administrator at both schools has retired or taken a new, better job.
04-04-2023 03:41 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(04-04-2023 02:23 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I’ve been championing UConn for a little while now. If the ACC wants to complete their conquest of the NE area this just about does it. I’d like to see UConn football get slowly introduced for their own benefit, no need to jump right in the deep end and lose by 30 points every game. Their current scheduling right now is perfect.

Mora is a quality coach. He's getting paid $7.5m over 5 years and took them to a bowl last year. I think they'd be able to compete from day 1 in the ACC in football. And in basketball, they have almost as many titles in the past 25 years as Duke and UNC COMBINED. If this had happened under 1 coach rather than 3, we'd be talking Dynasty. Instead, they're just a top Brand now, every bit the equal of anybody other than Duke/UNC, and perhaps Kansas.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2023 03:46 PM by bryanw1995.)
04-04-2023 03:45 PM
HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
Of course.
04-04-2023 03:46 PM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
ACC, yes. Big 12, no. They arent a cultural fit in the Big 12 and the travel is way too much.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2023 04:03 PM by darkdragon99.)
04-04-2023 04:02 PM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
can ACC invite Conn now? If ACC has to wait 13 yrs and 6 schools are leaving,
then what does ACC have to offer.

B-12 will sign 2 more media contracts by then,
have 20 schools and would be entrenched as solid #3
04-04-2023 04:03 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
It would be pricy to leave but they’d absolutely join the ACC.
04-04-2023 04:10 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-04-2023 04:03 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  can ACC invite Conn now? If ACC has to wait 13 yrs and 6 schools are leaving,
then what does ACC have to offer.

B-12 will sign 2 more media contracts by then,
have 20 schools and would be entrenched as solid #3

ACC will still have rivalries. Syracuse, BC, Pitt. And Louisville, Wake Forest and probably Duke will still remain.
04-04-2023 04:13 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Yes.

If you have an FBS football program that isn't already in a P5 conference and your school isn't named the University of Notre Dame, then you take a P5 invite from wherever it arises.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2023 04:36 PM by Frank the Tank.)
04-04-2023 04:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
(04-04-2023 03:45 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(04-04-2023 02:23 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I’ve been championing UConn for a little while now. If the ACC wants to complete their conquest of the NE area this just about does it. I’d like to see UConn football get slowly introduced for their own benefit, no need to jump right in the deep end and lose by 30 points every game. Their current scheduling right now is perfect.

Mora is a quality coach. He's getting paid $7.5m over 5 years and took them to a bowl last year. I think they'd be able to compete from day 1 in the ACC in football. And in basketball, they have almost as many titles in the past 25 years as Duke and UNC COMBINED. If this had happened under 1 coach rather than 3, we'd be talking Dynasty. Instead, they're just a top Brand now, every bit the equal of anybody other than Duke/UNC, and perhaps Kansas.

Mora seems like a good coach, I’d like to see UConn continue to build momentum to get them at a consistent 8 wins a season against Mac, C-USA level competition.

My plan would be to invite them now for all but football, give them about 3 ACC games a season with annual games vs SU and BC, increase the amount depending on their competitive level. The goal would be full membership and payout level by 2031 when the ACC likely has other expansion options to pair with UConn. But at the moment, a 16 team basketball conference would be a nice, square number to work with.
04-04-2023 05:21 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
(04-04-2023 02:03 PM)forphase1 Wrote:  Yes, no doubt. They say yes before the question is even fully asked.

^THIS! (Though I’d prefer ACC)
04-04-2023 05:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.