(05-10-2023 08:06 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Indeed, this is great news for the MAC.
05-10-2023 08:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: [McMurphy] B1G considering removing P5 OOC scheduling requirement for 2024
UCLA would be screwed rivalry weekend when USC is hosting ND. Who would they play? UConn?
05-10-2023 08:13 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Smart.

USC and UCLA can feast on local MWC teams in OOC play. Expect unequal terms and a lot of 2 for 1s to load up the home schedule.

The alternative is forcing USC and UCLA to play P5 games against the conference they just left.
05-10-2023 08:17 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-10-2023 08:13 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  UCLA would be screwed rivalry weekend when USC is hosting ND. Who would they play? UConn?

It says P5 scheduling wouldn't be required. It didn't say it wouldn't be allowed.
05-10-2023 08:17 AM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

(05-10-2023 08:17 AM)ken d Wrote:  It says P5 scheduling wouldn't be required. It didn't say it wouldn't be allowed.

But which opponents would be available on that critical weekend? You need a power game in there to get into the playoffs. No BYU anymore...

Unless BYU Utah goes there and you free up both a Big 12/PAC12 team to play UCLA. Neither program nor respective conferences would have skin in that game, however. There would be another available B1G team by default, but that's a tough road trip for that weekend. If a team like NWU is the other oddball out, that would work, but would be a strange pairing biannually.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023 08:22 AM by RUScarlets.)
05-10-2023 08:21 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-10-2023 08:13 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  UCLA would be screwed rivalry weekend when USC is hosting ND. Who would they play? UConn?

Natural for UCLA to play Cal that weekend (as is typically the case now in the Pac-12 when USC-ND is on Thanksgiving weekend).
05-10-2023 08:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2023 08:21 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(05-10-2023 08:17 AM)ken d Wrote:  It says P5 scheduling wouldn't be required. It didn't say it wouldn't be allowed.

But which opponents would be available on that critical weekend? You need a power game in there to get into the playoffs. No BYU anymore...

Unless BYU Utah goes there and you free up both a Big 12/PAC12 team to play UCLA. Neither program nor respective conferences would have skin in that game, however. There would be another available B1G team by default, but that's a tough road trip for that weekend. If a team like NWU is the other oddball out, that would work, but would be a strange pairing biannually.

Rivalry Weekend as a concept is probably in danger.

From a tv perspective, why would you want all your best matchups on the same weekend. Spread it out.

If I was UCLA, I'd try to make UCLA vs Nebraska a thing.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023 08:38 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
05-10-2023 08:35 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(05-10-2023 08:35 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

From a tv perspective, why would you want all your best matchups on the same weekend. Spread it out.

If I was UCLA, I'd try to make UCLA vs Nebraska a rivalry.

Thanksgiving Weekend might end up being CCG Weekend. Do you move Rivalry Weekend to Labor Day, where there are more windows to spotlight more games? Or do you spread it out over the calendar.

And it looks like the networks did not protect themselves -- the OOC requirement must not be in the contracts. Which makes sense -- the Big Ten had the leverage. Amazon and ESPN were both available for the prime time package, Amazon was available for the afternoon package.
05-10-2023 08:39 AM
Glenn360 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: The ones I bet on
Was it a requirement or suggestion?

Michigan 2022: UConn, Colorado St, Hawaii
2023: East Carolina, UNLV, Bowling Green
05-10-2023 08:44 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-10-2023 08:35 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

If I was UCLA, I'd try to make UCLA vs Nebraska a thing.

I'm surprised that hasn't happened before now. And surprised that there aren't more attractive games scheduled on Labor Day weekend when there are oodles of good timeslots available and so many body bag games at a time when fans are starved for college football.
05-10-2023 08:47 AM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Online
Heisman

(05-10-2023 08:31 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Natural for UCLA to play Cal that weekend (as is typically the case now in the Pac-12 when USC-ND is on Thanksgiving weekend).

Yeah, because Cal is going to accommodate UCLA03-yawn despite them being in a different conference. More than likely Cal will schedule Stanford. UCLA will be traveling out to the midwest or vice versa. Not fun.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023 08:48 AM by RUScarlets.)
05-10-2023 08:48 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

As to the OP news, it blows if it’s true.

The SEC apparently may get rid of its P5 non-conference scheduling requirement, too, particularly if they go up to a 9-game conference schedule. (Ross Dellenger had a lengthy segment on the status of the SEC scheduling discussion last week where he mentioned that this may be a trade-off.)

Now, I guess we’ll see how the marketplace shakes out in terms of what is incentivized and what isn’t. If we see teams getting credit for tougher non-conference schedules in the CFP selection process, then that will naturally incentivize better non-conference games (as we see in basketball). If it turns out that the CFP selection process really does just end up looking at straight win/loss record more an/or deem the SEC or Big Ten conference schedule as tough enough, then that reduces a lot of incentives for tough non-conference games.

Also, schools still like making money and most schools can’t just make a gazillion dollars off a home game against an FCS team like Ohio State. So, that’s another marketplace force at hand.
05-10-2023 08:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(05-10-2023 08:10 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  
(05-10-2023 08:06 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Indeed, this is great news for the MAC.

Great news for Rutgers and Maryland. Now they can schedule 3 OOC cupcakes to help get bowl eligible at the end of the year. That way both teams only need 3 B-10 wins after running through the buzz saw of Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State annually, and then playing schools from the West like USC, UCLA, Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin too as they rotate through the schedule too. 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 03-shhhh 03-idea 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot COGS COGS 04-cheers
05-10-2023 08:50 AM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

(05-10-2023 08:39 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Thanksgiving Weekend might end up being CCG Weekend. Do you move Rivalry Weekend to Labor Day, where there are more windows to spotlight more games? Or do you spread it out over the calendar.

And it looks like the networks did not protect themselves -- the OOC requirement must not be in the contracts. Which makes sense -- the Big Ten had the leverage. Amazon and ESPN were both available for the prime time package, Amazon was available for the afternoon package.

OOC rivalries on Labor Day weekend makes a ton of sense if Week 0 becomes week 1. You do have problems with Hurricane season potentially in the South East, but the B1G may be willing to do that if they can strike a deal with the PAC/Big 12.
05-10-2023 08:51 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(05-10-2023 08:48 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(05-10-2023 08:31 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Natural for UCLA to play Cal that weekend (as is typically the case now in the Pac-12 when USC-ND is on Thanksgiving weekend).

Yeah, because Cal is going to accommodate UCLA03-yawn despite them being in a different conference. More than likely Cal will schedule Stanford. UCLA will be traveling out to the midwest or vice versa. Not fun.

It’s not about Cal accommodating them - it’s about Cal still wanting/needing that UCLA game. They specifically need that regular trip to LA and they’re not getting it from USC going forward. Always look at who has the leverage - the ability to visit LA is of utmost important for the flagship school of the State of California.

Plus, remember that Stanford is playing ND on rivalry weekend in the other half of the years, so Cal-Stanford is already getting displaced from rivalry weekend half of the time just on that basis.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023 08:53 AM by Frank the Tank.)
05-10-2023 08:51 AM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2023 08:44 AM)Glenn360 Wrote:  Was it a requirement or suggestion?

Michigan 2022: UConn, Colorado St, Hawaii
2023: East Carolina, UNLV, Bowling Green

If you read the article, he addresses that.

Quote:Besides teams from the other Power 5 leagues – ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC – plus Notre Dame, several non-Power 5 programs counted toward the Power 5 requirement. That includes the three service academy schools — Army, Navy and Air Force — along with BYU, Cincinnati, UConn and others.

Big 10 recognizes UCONN as an exception

Quote:Michigan is the only Big Ten school that did not schedule a Power 5 nonconference opponent

Michigan still didn't follow the rule.
05-10-2023 08:52 AM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

(05-10-2023 08:51 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  It’s not about Cal accommodating them - it’s about Cal still wanting/needing that UCLA game. They specifically need that regular trip to LA and they’re not getting it from USC going forward. Always look at who has the leverage - the ability to visit LA is of utmost important for the flagship school of the State of California.

Plus, remember that Stanford is playing ND on rivalry weekend in the other half of the years, so Cal-Stanford is already getting displaced from rivalry weekend half of the time just on that basis.

Then you just pass the problem to Stanford... they don't want a game with USC that weekend? Well, they can't if they are hosting ND, or USC is hosting ND the following year.

These rivalries need to be re-jiggered any way you slice the cat.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023 08:59 AM by RUScarlets.)
05-10-2023 08:58 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(05-10-2023 08:48 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

Cal will still play UCLA if it wants to keep collecting that annual stipend from UCLA that was negotiated with the California Board of Directors through the exit process to the B-10. Or was that just a one-time fee paid to Cal when UCLA leaves the Pac-12. 07-coffee3
05-10-2023 08:58 AM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(05-10-2023 08:21 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  You need a power game in there to get into the playoffs

That seems like pre-2024/12-team playoff type of thinking
05-10-2023 09:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.