Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tribe Football History
Bookmark and Share
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
Tribe Football History
Not to put salt in this old wound - but a ranking from the Bleacher Report ranked our 1978 game at Virginia Tech 35th among the all time top, heart stopping finishes.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/a...y.amp.html

For those of us who were around and remember this game, it would also rank in the top 10 of most ridiculous blown calls/steals in college football. What the writer misses here is the pass being blatantly incomplete.

The Richmond Times Dispatch the following morning bannered the headline “The Great Lane Robbery” with a photo showing the ball skimming through the hands of the receiver.

Still hurts but nice to see the game get some exposure 40+ years later.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023 11:32 AM by Sitting bull.)
05-23-2023 11:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Tribe Football History
(05-23-2023 11:31 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  Not to put salt in this old wound - but a ranking from the Bleacher Report ranked our 1978 game at Virginia Tech 35th among the all time top, heart stopping finishes.

For those of us who were around and remember this game, it would also rank in the top 10 of most ridiculous blown calls/steals in college football. What the writer misses here is the pass being blatantly incomplete.

The Richmond Times Dispatch the following morning bannered the headline “The Great Lane Robbery” with a photo showing the ball skimming through the hands of the receiver.

Yeah, I was there. It wasn't just THAT bad call, but a series of "let's make sure Va Tech doesn't get embarrassed" calls, late in the 4th Quarter.
05-23-2023 11:36 AM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

Tribe Football History
Take it easy guys. I have almost recovered and don’t want to back slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-23-2023 12:24 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Well, luckily (or UNluckily), there is no video of our game, so, there is that.
05-23-2023 12:39 PM
Advertisement

Zorch Offline
All American

(05-23-2023 12:24 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  Take it easy guys. I have almost recovered and don’t want to back slide.

Too late for me. The mere mention of it caused a backsliding avalanche.
05-23-2023 01:19 PM
Biggjohn43 Offline
Special Teams

(05-23-2023 11:36 AM)billymac Wrote:  
(05-23-2023 11:31 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  Not to put salt in this old wound - but a ranking from the Bleacher Report ranked our 1978 game at Virginia Tech 35th among the all time top, heart stopping finishes.

Yeah, I was there. It wasn't just THAT bad call, but a series of "let's make sure Va Tech doesn't get embarrassed" calls, late in the 4th Quarter.

Especially after we beat them when the Infamous Strock Brothers were on that team. Loved it!!!! Gov Dalton, Edey and I hugged each other. She was the better hugger, LOL
05-23-2023 01:19 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(05-23-2023 01:19 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(05-23-2023 12:24 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  Take it easy guys. I have almost recovered and don’t want to back slide.

Too late for me. The mere mention of it caused a backsliding avalanche.

Another avalanche of angst! The very first write-up in the article talks about a "fifth down" in a Colorado/Missouri game in 1990.....conjuring up very bad memories of Villanova scoring on their fifth down in the 2009 playoff semifinal. Oh the pain!!!

It was good to see that Virginia Tech lost to Rutgers in 1992 on a last play pass. That pass was legitimately caught.
05-23-2023 02:01 PM
Advertisement

tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I was there. Leaving the game I saw a dead bird on the ground and kicked it. Instead of disintegrating it flew like a missile right towards a distinguished lady also leaving the game. Fortunately profuse apologies were accepted.

Thanks for reminding me of the *!**#%!!! game!
05-23-2023 04:45 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I listened to this on the radio - but I was in Lane Stadium two years prior when we bulldozed the Hokies, 27-15.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2023 04:54 PM by Sitting bull.)
05-23-2023 04:53 PM
ShakeNBake Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Elon/W&M
I remember listening to this game on the radio as an 11-year-old Indian fan. How many of y'all were at the Tobacco Bowl game in 1977 against the Hokies in the pouring down rain?
05-24-2023 06:07 AM
Advertisement

Sitting bull Offline
All American

(05-24-2023 06:07 AM)ShakeNBake Wrote:  I remember listening to this game on the radio as an 11-year-old Indian fan. How many of y'all were at the Tobacco Bowl game in 1977 against the Hokies in the pouring down rain?

I was and that was a letdown. We were actually favored in that game and were quite flat. Lost that one 17-8. I wasn’t involved in the previous Tobacco Bowl mentioned where we upset the Hokies and Don Strock. That would have been thrilling.

My first Tech game was the Oyster Bowl in Norfolk where we came in winless and heavy underdogs. Tech had a runner named Roscoe Coles that listening to them was on par with Bo Jackson. We played very inspired and think it was just a 10-7 game going into Q4. We lost 24-7 but that game turned the team around. They ended up winning 2 of the last 3, including So Con champ UR, and set-up the terrific 7-4 season in 1976.
05-24-2023 07:03 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(05-24-2023 06:07 AM)ShakeNBake Wrote:  I remember listening to this game on the radio as an 11-year-old Indian fan. How many of y'all were at the Tobacco Bowl game in 1977 against the Hokies in the pouring down rain?

I wasn't at the game, but our high school band marched in the Tobacco Festival parade that year. That's the absolute wettest I have ever been, including in the shower or a swimming pool. It was just awful. My trumpet actually flooded from rainwater going down the mouthpiece.
05-24-2023 12:28 PM
ShakeNBake Offline
2nd String

(05-24-2023 12:28 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  

I wasn't at the game, but our high school band marched in the Tobacco Festival parade that year. That's the absolute wettest I have ever been, including in the shower or a swimming pool. It was just awful. My trumpet actually flooded from rainwater going down the mouthpiece.

I would march in the Tobacco parade 4 years later in high school. That march from Willow Lawn to Parker Field was a long one.
05-24-2023 07:11 PM
ShakeNBake Offline
2nd String

(05-24-2023 07:03 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  

I was and that was a letdown. We were actually favored in that game and were quite flat. Lost that one 17-8. I wasn’t involved in the previous Tobacco Bowl mentioned where we upset the Hokies and Don Strock. That would have been thrilling.

My first Tech game was the Oyster Bowl in Norfolk where we came in winless and heavy underdogs. Tech had a runner named Roscoe Coles that listening to them was on par with Bo Jackson. We played very inspired and think it was just a 10-7 game going into Q4. We lost 24-7 but that game turned the team around. They ended up winning 2 of the last 3, including So Con champ UR, and set-up the terrific 7-4 season in 1976.
I attended my first W&M football game in 1976 against UR at City Stadium. Unfortunately, the Spiders won.
05-24-2023 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.