Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

10 Team FBS Conference Challenge
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Exclamation 10 Team FBS Conference Challenge
I've run several of these "ideal conference" challenges. During them I've come to the conclusion that obviously what's ideal for one team isn't ideal for another. One of the proposals was Boise State and I'm not sure if any FBS team that Boise State would want to be in a conference with would want to be in a conference with them. I also got various size proposals. So to make a one size fits all, I decided to create a brand new challenge and cap all FBS conferences to 10 teams and require round robin play with no conference championship games, conference ties are determined by head-to-head tiebreakers, multiple team at the discretion of the conference.

Last time I checked there were 133 FBS teams so you have 13 conferences of 10 teams. The 3 teams not in a conference have to go back to FCS. This means Notre Dame has to join one (for the purposes of this challenge of course because it's more fun:)

We can use the same proposed CFP format of 6 conference champions and 6 wild cards so on one hand you don't want your conferences too packed but on the other hand if there are no existing media contracts you want some attractive names in your conference or you get no money. Teams are still going to want to be with the Ohio States and Alabamas than the bottom feeders and if Ohio State gets the pick of the litter as to which teams they want in their conference Ohio U and Miami U aren't making the cut. Also everyone is playing nine conference games so if you have a must play they're either a conference game or you're playing an additional home and home game every year. So if you're even thinking about splitting Ohio State and Michigan they're going to play nine conference games and each other every year.

So what would be your 10 team conferences?
07-24-2023 07:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: 10 Team FBS Conference Challenge
This was a difficult challenge. I started with the presumption that the most powerful conferences would get down to ten by shedding their most recent additions. And that the least powerful would take what they can get. In the end, I predictably wind up with a P7 and a G6, just as clearly delineated as the current P5/G5.

I tried as much as possible to avoid placing individual schools on an island with no nearby rivals. That wasn't easy, and sometimes causes strange looking footprints.

Conferences are listed in order of their 10 year average Sagarin rating (shown in parentheses), and within conferences their teams are listed in order of theirs.

SEC (817) Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

Big Ten (776) Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois

PAC Ten (770) Oregon, Washington, USC, Stanford, UCLA, Arizona St, Washington St, Arizona, Cal, Oregon St

SWC (760) Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas, Miami, Missouri, Nebraska, UCF, Arkansas, Houston, USF

ACC (759) Clemson, Florida St, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, NC State, UNC, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia

Big 8 (754) Oklahoma St, TCU, Kansas St, Utah, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa State, BYU, Colorado, Kansas

Big East (738) Notre Dame, Penn State, Louisville, West Virginia, Pitt, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Boston College, Maryland, Rutgers

Mountain West (641) Boise St, San Diego St, Utah State, Fresno State, Colorado State, Wyoming, Nevada, San Jose St, Hawaii, UNLV

AAC (632) Memphis, James Madison, Marshall, Tulsa, SMU, East Carolina, Tulane, UAB, Southern Miss, Rice

MAC (605) Toledo, WMU, Northern Illinois, EMU, CMU, Ball State, Ohio, Miami (O), Kent St, Bowling Green

Sunbelt (598) Appalachian St, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Old Dominion, Georgia St, Troy, Louisiana, Arkansas St, ULM, South Alabama

Conference USA (591) Navy, Air Force, Temple, Army, Buffalo, UTSA, North Texas, UConn, Akron, UMass

WAC (563) Western Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic, NMSU, Liberty, New Mexico, Florida International, Texas State, UTEP

Relegated were: Charlotte, Sam Houston State and Jacksonville State

Instead of full round robins, I would have each conference play a balanced 8 game schedule, with each member skipping a different team each year. The purpose of that is to give every school four OOC games with which to maintain annual or frequent games against teams they have played frequently during the past 20-30 years, and for schools like Notre Dame and the service academies to play a more national schedule than their forced conference placement allows them.

Instead of a 6-6 CFP model I would have an 8-8 model with the 8 highest ranked conference champs hosting the first playoff round on their home field.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2023 07:45 AM by ken d.)
07-24-2023 10:31 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(07-24-2023 10:31 AM)ken d Wrote:  Need Name (591) Navy, Air Force, Temple, Army, Buffalo, UTSA, North Texas, UConn, Akron, UMass

Conference USA?
07-24-2023 11:19 AM
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(07-24-2023 10:31 AM)ken d Wrote:  This was a difficult challenge. I started with the presumption that the most powerful conferences would get down to ten by shedding their most recent additions. And that the least powerful would take what they can get. In the end, I predictably wind up with a P7 and a G6, just as clearly delineated as the current P5/G5.

I tried as much as possible to avoid placing individual schools on an island with no nearby rivals. That wasn't easy, and sometimes causes strange looking footprints.

Conferences are listed in order of their 10 year average Sagarin rating (shown in parentheses), and within conferences their teams are listed in order of theirs.

SEC (817) Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

Big Ten (776) Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois

PAC Ten (770) Oregon, Washington, USC, Stanford, UCLA, Arizona St, Washington St, Arizona, Cal, Oregon St

SWC (760) Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas, Miami, Missouri, Nebraska, UCF, Arkansas, Houston, USF

ACC (759) Clemson, Florida St, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, NC State, UNC, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia

Big 8 (754) Oklahoma St, TCU, Kansas St, Utah, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa State, BYU, Colorado, Kansas

Big East (738) Notre Dame, Penn State, Louisville, West Virginia, Pitt, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Boston College, Maryland, Rutgers

Mountain West (641) Boise St, San Diego St, Utah State, Fresno State, Colorado State, Wyoming, Nevada, San Jose St, Hawaii, UNLV

AAC (632) Memphis, James Madison, Marshall, Tulsa, SMU, East Carolina, Tulane, UAB, Southern Miss, Rice

MAC (605) Toledo, WMU, Northern Illinois, EMU, CMU, Ball State, Ohio, Miami (O), Kent St, Bowling Green

Sunbelt (598) Appalachian St, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Old Dominion, Georgia St, Troy, Louisiana, Arkansas St, ULM, South Alabama

Need Name (591) Navy, Air Force, Temple, Army, Buffalo, UTSA, North Texas, UConn, Akron, UMass

WAC (563) Western Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic, NMSU, Liberty, New Mexico, Florida International, Texas State, UTEP

Relegated were: Charlotte, Sam Houston State and Jacksonville State

Instead of full round robins, I would have each conference play a balanced 8 game schedule, with each member skipping a different team each year. The purpose of that is to give every school four OOC games with which to maintain annual or frequent games against teams they have played frequently during the past 20-30 years, and for schools like Notre Dame and the service academies to play a more national schedule than their forced conference placement allows them.

Instead of a 6-6 CFP model I would have an 8-8 model with the 8 highest ranked conference champs hosting the first playoff round on their home field.

I agree with an 8-8 CFP model, but I would use the 16 team ladder format instead. Top 4 conference champs get a double bye. Next 4 conference champs get a bye. Top 8 at-large teams play in 1st round. 1st 2 rounds and probably quarterfinals on campus. This way, you don't have games overlapping each other unless you want the 1st round split into 2 weekends or the 1st round played 2 games Thursday, 2 games Friday, and 4 games Saturday.
07-24-2023 11:43 AM
schmolik Offline

Big Ten:
Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin

SEC:
Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Clemson, South Carolina, Tennessee

Pac 10:
USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, Washington, Oregon State, Washington State

ACC:
North Carolina, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virgina Tech, Maryland, Kentucky, Louisville, Cincinnati

SWC:
Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, LSU, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston

Big East:
Boston College, Syracuse, West Virginia, Temple, Rutgers, Connecticut, Army, Navy, Buffalo, Massachusetts

Big 8:
Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado, Utah, BYU

MWC:
San Diego State, San Jose State, Fresno State, Nevada, UNLV, Boise State, Utah State, Colorado State, Air Force, Hawaii (was looking at a contiguous map and then completely forgot Hawaii!)

MAC:
Ohio U, Miami Ohio, Kent State, Akron, Toledo, Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Ball State

Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Central Florida, South Florida, Memphis, SMU, Rice, Tulane (Of course Northwestern doesn't fit, they got to go somewhere!). Of course this conference is above the MAC, the MAC is listed first because they have a name and it was obvious they would be together.

Northern Illinois, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Marshall, Appalachian State, Charlotte, East Carolina, Old Dominion, James Madison, Liberty (NIU another misfit)

Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, South Alabama, UAB, Troy, Arkansas State, Southern Mississippi

North Texas, UTSA, Texas State, UTEP, Tulsa, Louisiana, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana Monroe, New Mexico, New Mexico State

Out: Wyoming (where else would you put them???), Sam Houston, Jacksonville State
07-24-2023 12:45 PM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
I would be in favor of 10 team conferences - which gives you 9 conf games and no play-off needed.
07-24-2023 01:55 PM
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
P7 Conferences
ACC: Clemson, Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, NC State, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest
Big 10: Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, West Virginia
Big Central: Colorado, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Utah, Wisconsin
Great East: Boston College, Connecticut, Maryland, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Pac-10: Arizona, Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State
SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Central Florida, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami-FL, Mississippi State, Ole Miss
SWC: Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

G6 Conferences
American: Appalachian State, Army, Buffalo, Charlotte, East Carolina, James Madison, Marshall, Massachusetts, Navy, Old Dominion
AWC: Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, North Texas, Rice, Sam Houston, SMU, Texas State, UTEP, UTSA
CUSA: Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, Western Kentucky
MAC: Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Kent State, Miami-OH, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo, Western Michigan
MWC: Boise State, BYU, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State, Wyoming
Sun Belt: Coastal Carolina, FAU, FIU, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Jacksonville State, South Alabama, South Florida, Troy, UAB
07-24-2023 03:23 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Conference A (10)
ND, Ohio St, Mich, PSU, USC,
Bama, Georgia, Florida, Tex, Ok

Conference B (10)
UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Ind, Mich St,
UCLA, Ariz, Cuse, LOU, UConn

Conference S (10)
LSU, Tex A&M, Ark, Ole Miss, Aub,
FL St, Clem, Tenn, S.Car, Miami-F

Conference N (10)
Neb, Wisc, Minn, Iowa, Iowa St,
Mizzou, ILL, Purdue, Cincy, Pitt

Conference W (10)
Col, Utah, Ore, Wash, Ariz St,
CAL, Stan, SDSU, BYU, Boise

Conference P (9)
BC, NW, Vandy, Wake, Tulane,
TCU, SMU, Bay, Rice

Conference C (10)
Ok St, KSU, TT, Col St, NM
Miss St, Memphis, Hou, UTSA, UAB

Conference E (9)
WV, VA, VT, MD, Rut,
GT, NCSU, UCF, USF

Conference M (10)
FresnoSt, SJSU, Ore St, Wash St, UNLV, NEV, USU, AFA, Wy, NMSU

Conference T (10)
UTEP, Tex St, NT, SFA, SHSU,
LT, LM, LL, Ark St, USM

Conference G (10)
GaST, GaSO, FIU, FAU, USA,
Troy, Cha, CC, ECU, AppSt

Conference L (10)
Navy, Army, UMass, Buf, Marshal,
Liberty, ODU, JM, MTSU, WKU

Conference Z (10)
NIU, WMU, CMU, EMU, Tol,
BallSt, BG, Ohio, KentSt, Miami-O
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2023 04:28 PM by goofus.)
07-24-2023 03:40 PM
Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
AAC: 10
Army, Cincinnati, ECU, Louisville, Memphis, Navy, Penn St, Tulane, UCF, USF
ACC: 10
Clemson, Duke, FSU, GT, Maryland, UNC, NC St, South Carolina, UVA, WF
B1G: 10
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio St, Purdue, Wisconsin
Big 8: 10
Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Tulsa
Big East: 10
BC, Miami (FL), ND, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, UConn, VT, WVU
CUSA: 10
Buffalo, FAU, FIU, JMU, Liberty, Marshall, NIU, ODU, UAB, WKU
MAC: 10
Akron, Ball St, Bowling Green, CMU, EMU, Kent St, Miami (OH), Ohio, Toledo, WMU
MWC: 10
Air Force, BYU, Colorado St, New Mexico, NMSU, ULM, Utah, Utah St, UTEP, Wyoming
PAC 10: 10
Arizona, Arizona St, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington St
SBC: 10
App St, Charlotte, Coastal, Georgia So, Georgia St, Louisiana, MTSU, So Alabama, So Miss, Troy
SEC: 10
Alabama, Auburn, Florida, UGA, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
SWC: 10
Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, UNT, UTSA
WAC: 10
Arkansas St, Boise St, Fresno St, Hawaii, LT, Nevada, SDSU, SJSU, Texas St, UNLV
Dropped: 3
Jacksonville St, Sam Houston St, UMass

Postseason gets funky, but you make it work so that all current bowls are turned into playoff hosting sites. Top 42 teams make it, with #23-42 facing off in the first round. Top 10 conference champs get the winners of those games as we move into a 32-team bracket over 5 weeks. It means we still get bowl games, but they all matter now for crowning a champ.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2023 11:24 PM by Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51.)
07-24-2023 10:52 PM
JSchmack Offline
1st String

I Root For: chaos
Pac-10: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Wash St, Arizona, Arizona St.

SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida

Big Ten: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio St, Purdue, Wisconsin

Big 8: Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, Texas A&M

ACC: Clemson, Duke, Ga Tech, Maryland, UNC, NC State, Wake, Virginia, Florida State, Miami

Big East: BC, Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Va Tech, Penn State, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Temple, UConn

WAC: BYU, Utah, Air Force, Colorado St, Hawaii, New Mexico, San Diego St, UTEP, Wyoming, Fresno St

Metro: South Carolina, Arkansas, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis, Tulane, Houston, TCU, SMU, Southern Miss

MAC: Ball St, Bowling Green, Kent St, Miami OH, Toledo, Arkon, C Mich, E Mich, W Mich.

MWC: UNLV, Nevada, Boise St, San Jose St, Utah St, New Mexico St, Texas Tech, Baylor, Rice, North Texas

C-USA: Army, Navy, Buffalo, East Carolina, UCF, USF, Marshall, Northern Illinois, UAB, UMass

Sun Belt: La Tech, Ark St, Tulsa, Louisiana, Middle Tenn, Western Kentucky, FIU, FAU, Troy, UTSA

American: Texas St, UL Monroe, So Alabama, Ga State, Ga Southern, ODU, App St, Coastal, Charlotte, JMU
07-25-2023 12:28 PM
Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
I'm not in love with these conferences, but this is what I came up with. It's a tough challenge, but it did get me to get out the old realignment spreadsheets I'd make for my NCAA 14 dynasties.

Metro: BC, Cincinnati, Louisville, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, West Virginia
ACC: Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina St., South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Big Ten: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin
SWC: Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech
Skyline: Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Utah
MAC: Ball State, Bowling Green, CMU, EMU, Kent State, Miami U, NIU, Ohio, Toledo, WMU
MWC: Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State, Wyoming
PAC: Cal, Fresno State, Oregon, Oregon State, San Diego State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State
SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Sun Belt: Arkansas State, Louisiana, UL-Monroe, MTSU, New Mexico St., North Texas, Sam Houston, Texas State, UTEP, Western Kentucky
Gulf Coast: Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, USF, UTSA
American: Army, Buffalo, Connecticut, James Madison, Liberty, Marshall, Navy, Old Dominion, Temple, UMass
South Atlantic: App State, Coastal Carolina, East Carolina, FAU, FIU, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, South Alabama, Troy, UAB

Relegated: Akron, Charlotte, Jax State
07-25-2023 04:53 PM
Advertisement

inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(07-25-2023 04:53 PM)Mav Wrote:  I'm not in love with these conferences, but this is what I came up with. It's a tough challenge, but it did get me to get out the old realignment spreadsheets I'd make for my NCAA 14 dynasties.

Metro: BC, Cincinnati, Louisville, Miami, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, West Virginia
ACC: Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina St., South Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Big Ten: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin
Skyline: Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Utah
MAC: Ball State, Bowling Green, CMU, EMU, Kent State, Miami U, NIU, Ohio, Toledo, WMU
MWC: Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State, Wyoming
PAC: Cal, Fresno State, Oregon, Oregon State, San Diego State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State
SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Sun Belt: Arkansas State, Louisiana, UL-Monroe, MTSU, New Mexico St., North Texas, Sam Houston, Texas State, UTEP, Western Kentucky
Gulf Coast: Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, USF, UTSA
American: Army, Buffalo, Connecticut, James Madison, Liberty, Marshall, Navy, Old Dominion, Temple, UMass
South Atlantic: App State, Coastal Carolina, East Carolina, FAU, FIU, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, South Alabama, Troy, UAB

I can't bring myself to do one of these myself out of my commitment to 9 teams being better than 10.

But this is the best one I've seen (for my school). We'd take it in a second.
07-25-2023 05:20 PM
andybible1995 Online
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
Power 7

ACC

Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
NC State
North Carolina
South Carolina
Virginia
Wake Forest

Big East

Boston College
Miami (FL)
Notre Dame
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

Big Ten

Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Big 10

BYU
Colorado
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Utah

PAC-10

Arizona
Arizona State
California
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington
Washington State

SEC

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

SWC

Arkansas
Baylor
Houston
Rice
SMU
Texas
Texas A&M
TCU
Texas Tech
Tulane

Group of 6

AAC

Air Force
Akron
Army
Buffalo
James Madison
Liberty
Marshall
Navy
Old Dominion
Tulsa

C-USA

Cincinatti
East Carolina
Louisville
Memphis
South Florida
Southern Miss
UAB
UCF
UConn
UMass

MAC

Bowling Green
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
Kent State
Miami (OH)
Northern Illinois
Ohio
Toledo
Western Michigan

MWC

Arkansas State
Louisiana
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico
New Mexico State
North Texas
Texas State
UTEP
UTSA

SBC

Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Florida Atlantic
FIU
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
Middle Tennessee
South Alabama
Troy
Western Kentucky

WAC

Boise State
Colorado State
Fresno State
Hawaii
Nevada
San Diego State
San Jose State
Utah State
UNLV
Wyoming

Downgraded to FCS: Charlottle, Jacksonville State, Sam Houston
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2023 08:39 PM by andybible1995.)
07-25-2023 08:07 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(07-25-2023 05:20 PM)inutech Wrote:  
(07-25-2023 04:53 PM)Mav Wrote:  I'm not in love with these conferences, but this is what I came up with. It's a tough challenge, but it did get me to get out the old realignment spreadsheets I'd make for my NCAA 14 dynasties.

I can't bring myself to do one of these myself out of my commitment to 9 teams being better than 10.

But this is the best one I've seen (for my school). We'd take it in a second.

Could not agree more about 9 being better than 10. The challenge there would be what to do about the SEC and Big Ten who hadn't been below ten members in 70 years or more. Who gets the boot, and why?
07-26-2023 07:54 AM
schmolik Offline

(07-26-2023 07:54 AM)ken d Wrote:  Could not agree more about 9 being better than 10. The challenge there would be what to do about the SEC and Big Ten who hadn't been below ten members in 70 years or more. Who gets the boot, and why?

Getting the SEC and Big Ten to go to 12 right now would be a challenge, let alone 10 or 9.
07-26-2023 08:39 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(07-26-2023 08:39 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(07-26-2023 07:54 AM)ken d Wrote:  Could not agree more about 9 being better than 10. The challenge there would be what to do about the SEC and Big Ten who hadn't been below ten members in 70 years or more. Who gets the boot, and why?

Getting the SEC and Big Ten to go to 12 right now would be a challenge, let alone 10 or 9.

I'm not sure it would be that hard for an exercise like this. Other than the fans of those schools getting left out (or the accountants for the conference office or the lawyers who draw up the media deals) would general fans be really heartbroken over a Big 10 without Maryland or an SEC without Missouri (or even Arkansas)?

Getting from 10 to 9 for those two leagues would be a challenge due the really long history between the 10 teams in each conference who have been together for so long.

If you just had to do it, the answer is probably the private schools, which would suck for them (financially and historically, even if it would be great for them in the win column).

Like all of these other "make the best conference" challenges it's a non-starter in reality. But that's probably how you'd do it if you wanted to do a 9 team challenge. Either that or really just mix the whole thing up and pair the eastern teams with their in-state ACC rivals (for the SEC).

9 teams playing an 8 game round-robin is my favorite Platonic ideal conference alignment. At least for football (it's not great for basketball or baseball, but if every conference was doing it, you'd have lots and lots of OOC options, even during conference "season").

I don't like 9 conference games (we have so little inter-connectivity in college football already, 1/3 of the schedule being OOC seems ideal). And I don't like missing one school in conference play, you're so close to round-robin.
07-26-2023 09:04 AM
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(07-26-2023 07:41 AM)andy98 Wrote:  ACC:
Boston College
Syracuse
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Wake Forest
Duke
Clemson
South Carolina

Someone's having trouble counting... 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2023 11:54 AM by Nerdlinger.)
07-26-2023 11:54 AM
UofLCard94 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisville
Here is mine. Trying to keep as much of the "historical" together as possible

Golden - ND, Miami, USC, Stanford, BYU, TCU, Pitt, Cuse, Army, Navy

ACC - Clemson, UNC, NCSU, Duke, Wake, Maryland, UVA, South Carolina, USF, Georgia State

PAC - UCLA, Cal, Washington, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Arizona, Arizona St, San Diego, Utah

SEC - Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Bama, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky, LSU, Miss, Miss St,

BIG - Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, NW, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa

North Eastern Conference - Penn State, Rutgers, BC, WVU, UCONN, Temple, Mass, Buffalo, Old Dominion, FAU

Metro - Louisville, FSU, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, Southern Miss, UCF, ECU

SWC - Texas, Oklahoma, Texas AM, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Baylor, New Mexico , UTEP, SMU

Great Plains - Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado, Wyoming, Missouri, Iowa State, UT San Antonio, Tulane, Tulsa

MAC - Toledo, Ohio, Miami OH, W Michigan, E Michigan, C Michigan, Kent, N Illinois, Bowling Green, Akron

MWC - Air Force, Boise, Fresno, San Jose, Utah State, Nevada, UNLV, Colorado State, Hawaii, New Mexico State

GULF - North Texas, Rice, UAB, Arky St, ULM, Lousiana Tech, Ball St, South Alabama, ULL, Troy

Mid Atlantic - FIU, MTSU, Charlotte, Marshall, James Madison, Coastal Carolina, Ga Southern, Appy State, WKU, Jacksonville St
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2023 12:08 PM by UofLCard94.)
07-26-2023 12:07 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I started a realignment but I can’t really get around keeping ND, Army, and Navy independent:

Big 10: 1989 line up
SEC: 1989 line up
Pac 10: 1989 line up
ACC: 1989 line up + Florida St + SC
SWC: 1989 line up + Tulane
Big 8: 1989 line up + Utah + BYU
Big East: BC, UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, Penn St, Pitt, WVU, VT, Miami

WAC: Hawaii, San Diego St, Fresno St, San Jose St, UNLV, WYO, Colo St, AFA, New Mexico, UTEP
Metro: Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, ECU, USF, UCF, UAB, USM, Marshall, Tulsa
MAC: Akron, Kent St, Ohio, Miami, BGSU, Toledo, EMU, CMU, WMU, Ball St
Big West/SBC: Nevada, Idaho, Boise St, Utah St, NMSU, UNT, LA Tech, ULL, Ark St, ULM

Indy: ND, Navy, Army

FCS: NIU, Buffalo, & all the other 21st Century call ups.
07-26-2023 04:08 PM
JSchmack Offline
1st String

I Root For: chaos
(07-26-2023 08:39 AM)schmolik Wrote:  

I think you'd have to do a "revisionist history" as if the 10-team rule was put in place in 1990 BEFORE everyone went past 10, and imagine how it would have played out.

That's what I did. I had Texas and A&M go to the Big 8, because the Pac-10, SEC, Big Ten were "full."

That meant Penn State in the Big East, South Carolina, Arkansas and 3 SWC teams to the Metro, Baylor and Tech to a new MWC, etc, etc.
07-26-2023 06:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.