Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What might have been... according to Aresco
Bookmark and Share
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
What might have been... according to Aresco
AAC commish Aresco says Charlotte and FAU almost NOT added.

Original plan was for 12 teams only.

Source The Athletic, Chris Vannini, 7-26-23

CUSA would have been (IF TEN):

FAU
FIU
Liberty
CHARLOTTE
WKU
MT
La Tech
UTEP
NMSU
SHSU

I really think the only fcs school added would have been SHSU--just because of the geography and the desire to replace the three Texas schools lost.

Better travel.

Travel partners improved:

CHAR to Liberty--- only 3 Hrs

FIU to FAU------- 50 min.

WKU-MT
LA Tech--SHSU
UTEP-NMSU

Better Basketball--FAU Final Four team and Charlotte had post season success.

Football--two less fcs--would be stronger.

Just a "what if" that could have easily been real.

cue George Harrison's "What a Pity"

No offense meant toward JSU or KSU.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2023 02:10 AM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
07-27-2023 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

RE: What might have been... according to Aresco
UNCC literally brought nothing to CUSA since 2014 at least. Never more of a underachieving program in all sports, just amazing anyone wanted them. 75% of Charoltte does not know they exist.
07-27-2023 08:27 AM
3DogNight Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, Clemson
(07-27-2023 08:27 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  UNCC literally brought nothing to CUSA since 2014 at least. Never more of a underachieving program in all sports, just amazing anyone wanted them. 75% of Charoltte does not know they exist.

I have family who live just outside of Charlotte. The Tar Heels and Clemson are the predominate teams that are followed in that area. The local sports talk shows don't even mention the 49ers much, if any. There's also a lot of people moving in the area from up north, many from Ohio. UNC Charlotte supporters are far down the list of those living in the area. Charlotte is the seventh-most populous city in the South and the second-most populous city in the Southeast and the metropolitan area is one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the United States. I know this was the draw and that the AAC is more concerned about population size than a school's athletic success. But in the case of UNCC, I personally don't think the AAC is going to get what they hope for in regard to the 49ers.
07-27-2023 10:27 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

While the old potential eye balls hasn't worked often with G5 schools at least they had something that someone valued and wanted...

right now the rest of us nothing.

If UNCC is as bad as some think then at least one and maybe 2 of the FCS move ups should pass them fairly quick in football. To be honest JSU and SHSU been just as good if not better in basketball for most of the last 5 or 6 years.

So isn't that a win for CUSA?
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2023 11:07 AM by WKUYG.)
07-27-2023 11:03 AM
JackedUp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jacksonville State
(07-27-2023 10:27 AM)3DogNight Wrote:  
(07-27-2023 08:27 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  UNCC literally brought nothing to CUSA since 2014 at least. Never more of a underachieving program in all sports, just amazing anyone wanted them. 75% of Charoltte does not know they exist.

I have family who live just outside of Charlotte. The Tar Heels and Clemson are the predominate teams that are followed in that area. The local sports talk shows don't even mention the 49ers much, if any. There's also a lot of people moving in the area from up north, many from Ohio. UNC Charlotte supporters are far down the list of those living in the area. Charlotte is the seventh-most populous city in the South and the second-most populous city in the Southeast and the metropolitan area is one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the United States. I know this was the draw and that the AAC is more concerned about population size than a school's athletic success. But in the case of UNCC, I personally don't think the AAC is going to get what they hope for in regard to the 49ers.

The same could be said for North Texas, FAU and UTSA. All commuter schools with hardly any alumni support.

I posted this on the board before, but look at their financials from the knight commission.
Marshall, La Tech and Southern Miss all had higher alumni contribution than Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA and FAU. And these new AAC schools have 4x times the student enrollment than the aforementioned schools

Their bloated athletic budgets are majority student fees from all their commuter students. Not from alumni support
07-27-2023 11:57 AM
JackedUp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jacksonville State
(07-27-2023 11:03 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  While the old potential eye balls hasn't worked often with G5 schools at least they had something that someone valued and wanted...

If UNCC is as bad as some think then at least one and maybe 2 of the FCS move ups should pass them fairly quick in football. To be honest JSU and SHSU been just as good if not better in basketball for most of the last 5 or 6 years.

This is true. But look at the downfall of ESPN their execs are driving the sports leader into the ground. They just laid off some of their best commentators (Jeff Van Gundy being one them) just to cut cost. So ESPN execs aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed.

You are right, the “markets” theory didn’t work for CUSA, and then new adds aren’t going to move the needle at all for the AAC. No one cares about the commuters schools even in their own “market”
07-27-2023 12:05 PM
Advertisement

EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Sam Houston State
Both conferences would be better off under this scenario.
07-27-2023 12:05 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(07-27-2023 12:05 PM)JackedUp Wrote:  
(07-27-2023 11:03 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  While the old potential eye balls hasn't worked often with G5 schools at least they had something that someone valued and wanted...

This is true. But look at the downfall of ESPN their execs are driving the sports leader into the ground. They just laid off some of their best commentators (Jeff Van Gundy being one them) just to cut cost. So ESPN execs aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed.

You are right, the “markets” theory didn’t work for CUSA, and then new adds aren’t going to move the needle at all for the AAC. No one cares about the commuters schools even in their own “market”

I would think some of the ESPN layoffs are due to some dumb decisions by Disney execs, as well.
07-27-2023 12:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hootyhoo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(07-27-2023 11:57 AM)JackedUp Wrote:  

The same could be said for North Texas, FAU and UTSA. All commuter schools with hardly any alumni support.

I posted this on the board before, but look at their financials from the knight commission.
Marshall, La Tech and Southern Miss all had higher alumni contribution than Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA and FAU. And these new AAC schools have 4x times the student enrollment than the aforementioned schools

Their bloated athletic budgets are majority student fees from all their commuter students. Not from alumni support

And for 1 more year CUSA can say they don't have any members like that!
07-27-2023 12:21 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2023 12:05 PM)EatEmUp11 Wrote:  Both conferences would be better off under this scenario.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

I Certainly don't want to be in the position to defend CHAR but---

Basketball finished with a net of 98 and did win a post season tourney--even if it was a weak one.

Baseball went to the NCAA Regional and went 2-2.

Sure they were NOT anything special most years--but did well in their last.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2023 12:36 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
07-27-2023 12:35 PM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
The travel would be a lot better under this scenario. Charlotte though has been absolutely brutal in FBS football.
07-27-2023 02:22 PM
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Charlotte was and is complete trash. Them and Rice had no business getting the nod for the AAC. I whole heartedly think all three FCS adds will have more success than Charlotte and Rice in football very quickly. I like those schools fans but let’s not kid ourselves that they were anything other than dead weight for the conference. It’s one reason I am not sure I’d want Middle going to the AAC if an invite does come one day.
07-27-2023 11:09 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2023 11:57 AM)JackedUp Wrote:  

True but at least UNT, FAU and UTSA has had success in football. 2/3 sucess in basketball. Maybe UTSA can upgrade from middle school to high school gym for hoops..
07-28-2023 07:36 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2023 12:20 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  
(07-27-2023 12:05 PM)JackedUp Wrote:  

I would think some of the ESPN layoffs are due to some dumb decisions by Disney execs, as well.

Spent all the money for NFL and SEC, lots not paying for these channels as much now.
07-28-2023 07:41 AM
Bearkat21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sam Houston
(07-27-2023 11:09 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  Charlotte was and is complete trash. Them and Rice had no business getting the nod for the AAC. I whole heartedly think all three FCS adds will have more success than Charlotte and Rice in football very quickly. I like those schools fans but let’s not kid ourselves that they were anything other than dead weight for the conference. It’s one reason I am not sure I’d want Middle going to the AAC if an invite does come one day.

I would honestly rather Sam Houston end up in the Mountain West with UTEP, NMSU, and Texas St than go to the AAC but most Sam Houston fans view the way to move up as going to the AAC. Only benefit would be an annual Rice game but I'd rather play Texas St, Air Force, Boise St, Wyoming, and Hawaii every year than Charlotte, Temple, UNT, and FAU. The only advantage to the AAC would be that there are more Texas teams, but SMU is likely a top candidate for the PAC-12 and Tulane/ Memphis are probably not far off from a P5 invite either leaving the only desirable teams to play IMO being UTSA and Navy. The advantage that Sam Houston has is that we're centrally located enough in the US to go either way.
07-28-2023 08:46 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
UNCC has been to the NCAA tournament 11 times including getting to the final four.
07-28-2023 08:57 AM
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(07-28-2023 08:57 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  UNCC has been to the NCAA tournament 11 times including getting to the final four.

The final four was in 1977 and they haven’t been back to the tournament since 2005 and they haven’t advanced in the tournament since 2001. Let’s be real…
07-28-2023 09:03 AM
USM3000 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(07-27-2023 11:09 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  Charlotte was and is complete trash. Them and Rice had no business getting the nod for the AAC. I whole heartedly think all three FCS adds will have more success than Charlotte and Rice in football very quickly.

Now that's something I think everyone can agree on.
07-28-2023 09:34 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2023 08:57 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  UNCC has been to the NCAA tournament 11 times including getting to the final four.

History is great, if you build on it. If not its forgotten by everyone that's not a fan of that school. Its something S. Miss fans couldn't wrap their heads around in football. Its something that Western is closing in on in basketball.

To us fans that like to look at the historical success of a program. History is long. In todays area of everything now....history is what have you done last season or the season before, maybe even 3 seasons ago. Anything past that you might as well be a boomer
07-28-2023 09:45 AM
LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU & Syracuse
Unfortunately, the woulda's & coulda's for CUSA in 2021 are brutal. Had CUSA added Liberty on the unofficial vote, they would've kept Marshall, ODU & added JMU as well. Who knows, maybe even had kept USM (probably the biggest stretch of the woulda-coulda's).
07-28-2023 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.