Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

...when/if Zona leaves for the XII...
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...when/if Zona leaves for the XII...
...will the remaining PAC programs transition from 'search and rescue' mode into 'recovery' mode, i.e., head to the lifeboats if possible?

I honestly just don't see UO and Udub signing ANY type of GOR placed before them at this point... and if the B1G for whatever reason isn't ready, they well may jump to the XII for whatever timeframe needed.

...but something tells me the B1G will be 'back on the scene' for UO/Udub when/if Zona jumps, as by then the XII would have had their bites (I also think UU and ASU will follow Zona to the XII), thus minimizing the "B1G destroyed the PAC" scenario (although they DID start it)...

...and the only reason the B1G has any concrens about that image may be due to the "Rose Bowl" connection/legacy with the PAC, I guess... ...otherwise, why would they care about image as the 800-pound varmint in the proceedings? (which everybody understands them to be anyway...)
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2023 10:11 AM by GreenFreakUAB.)
07-30-2023 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PistolChad Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Oklahoma State
RE: ...when/if Zona leaves for the XII...
The B1G can get Oregon and Washington anytime they want - there is no sense of urgency...they will always be available.

The B1G has never expanded by more than 2 teams at a time. They will absorb USC and UCLA fully before moving onto their next targets. The B1G has long ago said that 20 was their ultimate target. 4 of Notre Dame, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia, and Miami are their primary targets. The SEC likely only wants North Carolina and Virginia, so it is pretty certain the remaining 4 I listed will be going to the the B1G. Miami is the only other one I could see the SEC being interested in in 2036.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2023 10:16 AM by PistolChad.)
07-30-2023 10:16 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(07-30-2023 10:16 AM)PistolChad Wrote:  The B1G can get Oregon and Washington anytime they want - there is no sense of urgency...they will always be available.

The B1G has never expanded by more than 2 teams at a time. They will absorb USC and UCLA fully before moving onto their next targets. The B1G has long ago said that 20 was their ultimate target. 4 of Notre Dame, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia, and Miami are their primary targets. The SEC likely only wants North Carolina and Virginia, so it is pretty certain the remaining 4 I listed will be going to the the B1G. Miami is the only other one I could see the SEC being interested in in 2036.

...good point - the BiG as well as the SEC generally grab only two at a time, if anything because they know they are not in danger of losing anyone, and can pick up anyone, anytime...
07-30-2023 10:20 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Arizona will move to the Big 12. I think circumstances for the B1G will have changed at that point due to 1) the Big 12 will have similarly raided the PAC and the B1G will not, by media standards, be held responsible for tearing it apart. Thus, it can add additional members without being labeled the destroyer. 2) With its first of a kind national TV deal across several media partners, the B1G and Fox want to, and will be able to, secure UW/UO at discounted rates (and a year after USC/UCLA join).

The B1G, eventually, will be larger than 20 teams, and it will still be in position to add a few ACC teams. UO and UW were already vetted by the B1G, so they'd be fairly easy to add quickly if necessary.
07-30-2023 10:32 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(07-30-2023 10:16 AM)PistolChad Wrote:  The B1G can get Oregon and Washington anytime they want - there is no sense of urgency...they will always be available.

You seem awfully confident in a bunch of rumors and speculation. As for that 20 number, didn't Warren toss it out 3 minutes before announcing he was leaving to take over the Bears? Maybe they want 20, maybe they're happy at 16. The only school on your list that they definitely want is ND. They probably want UNC, and they might want Miami and UVA. But Duke and GT? How much money are they going to cost the B1G to subsidize forever? This isn't "find all the T1 and T2 schools in the ACC and hoover them up", it's Athletics, and Oregon and Washington are bigger Brands Athletically than anyone you listed other than ND.
07-30-2023 11:44 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I think the PAC8 holds by adding two American teams in ‘24… unless the Big 12 decides to go to 16 and they can actually move WVU to the ACC for free. That’s four slots. I think 4C plus UO works, otherwise OreSt (no pro-rata for latter though). I don’t think UW UO join as the Big 12 is presently constituted for #15/16 unless the exit fee is completely waived.

Should the Big 12 add +3, the B1G will move. If it’s just Zona, I think the PAC holds:

PAC 8 adds SMU USF Tulane Rice (SDSU CSU in ‘25).
07-30-2023 11:53 AM
Advertisement

PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
UA's move: Swaim saying it is in progress. To be announced on Tuesday, no less. :-)

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/1685684563442376704
07-30-2023 12:13 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I’m shocked that Arizona St doesn’t have a greater sense of urgency and isn’t acting in concert with their sibling in Tucson. They are not going to want to be left behind when Oregon and Washington leave. The Sun Devils need to exit with the Wildcats.
07-30-2023 01:30 PM
NotoriousOne Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Michigan
(07-30-2023 01:30 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’m shocked that Arizona St doesn’t have a greater sense of urgency and isn’t acting in concert with their sibling in Tucson. They are not going to want to be left behind when Oregon and Washington leave. The Sun Devils need to exit with the Wildcats.

I’m starting to wonder if this is all mapped out with the Big 12 agreeing to take Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Washington State and Oregon State while the BIG takes Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford and Arizona State. It’s pretty wild how quiet things are and how, like you said, there is little urgency from anyone out west.
07-30-2023 02:27 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
(07-30-2023 01:30 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I’m shocked that Arizona St doesn’t have a greater sense of urgency and isn’t acting in concert with their sibling in Tucson. They are not going to want to be left behind when Oregon and Washington leave. The Sun Devils need to exit with the Wildcats.

Maybe they don't want things to look too coordinated.
07-30-2023 02:40 PM
Nameless Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(07-30-2023 10:32 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Arizona will move to the Big 12. I think circumstances for the B1G will have changed at that point due to 1) the Big 12 will have similarly raided the PAC and the B1G will not, by media standards, be held responsible for tearing it apart. Thus, it can add additional members without being labeled the destroyer. 2) With its first of a kind national TV deal across several media partners, the B1G and Fox want to, and will be able to, secure UW/UO at discounted rates (and a year after USC/UCLA join).

The B1G, eventually, will be larger than 20 teams, and it will still be in position to add a few ACC teams. UO and UW were already vetted by the B1G, so they'd be fairly easy to add quickly if necessary.

I’ve never understood the narrative that the B1G doesn’t want to be held responsible for the destruction of the Pac. Even if it did come with a little negative PR from the media (which I think is overblown) it’s not like it will impact their bottom line, short or long term.

Did the SEC care about potentially killing the Big XII when they took Texas and Oklahoma?

What am I missing here?

I think it is much more likely they truly don’t want to add more west coast teams until they see how the USCLA experiment works out
07-30-2023 03:08 PM
Advertisement

Nameless Offline
1st String

(07-30-2023 02:27 PM)NotoriousOne Wrote:  

I’m starting to wonder if this is all mapped out with the Big 12 agreeing to take Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Washington State and Oregon State while the BIG takes Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford and Arizona State. It’s pretty wild how quiet things are and how, like you said, there is little urgency from anyone out west.

I don’t think the Big XII is remotely interested in adding OSU or WSU. Neither moves the needle much, if at all, and WSU is having massive issues with their athletics budget
07-30-2023 03:11 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-30-2023 10:10 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...will the remaining PAC programs transition from 'search and rescue' mode into 'recovery' mode, i.e., head to the lifeboats if possible?

I honestly just don't see UO and Udub signing ANY type of GOR placed before them at this point... and if the B1G for whatever reason isn't ready, they well may jump to the XII for whatever timeframe needed.

...but something tells me the B1G will be 'back on the scene' for UO/Udub when/if Zona jumps, as by then the XII would have had their bites (I also think UU and ASU will follow Zona to the XII), thus minimizing the "B1G destroyed the PAC" scenario (although they DID start it)...

...and the only reason the B1G has any concrens about that image may be due to the "Rose Bowl" connection/legacy with the PAC, I guess... ...otherwise, why would they care about image as the 800-pound varmint in the proceedings? (which everybody understands them to be anyway...)

There is no votes for more PAC 12 in the Big 10. They are not going add anymore mouths to feed right now. They might be watching the ACC to see if the schools there try to break the GORs to get ACC schools and Notre Dame, but no PAC 12 yet.
07-30-2023 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(07-30-2023 03:26 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(07-30-2023 10:10 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...will the remaining PAC programs transition from 'search and rescue' mode into 'recovery' mode, i.e., head to the lifeboats if possible?

There is no votes for more PAC 12 in the Big 10. They are not going add anymore mouths to feed right now. They might be watching the ACC to see if the schools there try to break the GORs to get ACC schools and Notre Dame, but no PAC 12 yet.

...the ACC rumblings, along with the ever-present riddle of Notre Dame, DO present a potential 'spanner in the works'... but somehow, it is becoming more apparent that the 'conspiracy theory' of ESPN/FOX/whoever else coordinating all of this stuff may not be as far-fetched as one would think...
07-30-2023 04:25 PM
Nameless Offline
1st String

(07-30-2023 04:25 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(07-30-2023 03:26 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

...the ACC rumblings, along with the ever-present riddle of Notre Dame, DO present a potential 'spanner in the works'... but somehow, it is becoming more apparent that the 'conspiracy theory' of ESPN/FOX/whoever else coordinating all of this stuff may not be as far-fetched as one would think...

Don’t think it’s “theory” so much as “fact” at this point. They controlled the last round of realignment that destroyed the Big East, as evidenced by Gene Defilippo stating the ACC “was told what to do” by ESPN. It’s obvious they’re behind this round as well, but Fox Sports is also a player this time around
07-30-2023 04:30 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(07-30-2023 03:08 PM)Nameless Wrote:  
(07-30-2023 10:32 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Arizona will move to the Big 12. I think circumstances for the B1G will have changed at that point due to 1) the Big 12 will have similarly raided the PAC and the B1G will not, by media standards, be held responsible for tearing it apart. Thus, it can add additional members without being labeled the destroyer. 2) With its first of a kind national TV deal across several media partners, the B1G and Fox want to, and will be able to, secure UW/UO at discounted rates (and a year after USC/UCLA join).

I’ve never understood the narrative that the B1G doesn’t want to be held responsible for the destruction of the Pac. Even if it did come with a little negative PR from the media (which I think is overblown) it’s not like it will impact their bottom line, short or long term.

Did the SEC care about potentially killing the Big XII when they took Texas and Oklahoma?

What am I missing here?

I think it is much more likely they truly don’t want to add more west coast teams until they see how the USCLA experiment works out

Well there's nothing to understand. We will have an answer soon.
07-30-2023 05:04 PM
Advertisement

Nameless Offline
1st String

(07-30-2023 05:04 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

What am I missing here?

What?

There’s a narrative that exists stating the B1G wouldn’t kill the Pac for PR purposes. I don’t understand why people believe that narrative, because it makes no sense to me. So I asked someone who follows that narrative to explain.

Whether or not UO or UW join the B1G soon is basically irrelevant to what I’m asking lol
07-30-2023 06:05 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
The solution for the Big 10 funding UO/UW is selling a Friday prime time exclusive to Amazon.
07-30-2023 06:39 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(07-30-2023 06:05 PM)Nameless Wrote:  
(07-30-2023 05:04 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

What am I missing here?

What?

There’s a narrative that exists stating the B1G wouldn’t kill the Pac for PR purposes. I don’t understand why people believe that narrative, because it makes no sense to me. So I asked someone who follows that narrative to explain.

Whether or not UO or UW join the B1G soon is basically irrelevant to what I’m asking lol

Send a tweet to McMurphy, he tweeted that months ago. If it had come from just about anybody else I'd scoff at it, but coming from McMurphy you have to take it seriously. I think his exact words were "they'll take another look at UO/UW if the Pac has more teams leave", not "the B1G is inviting UO/UW if anyone else leaves". ie, maybe they get an invite, maybe they don't, but their odds of joining the B1G are increased if the Pac is in freefall.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2023 07:38 PM by bryanw1995.)
07-30-2023 07:37 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
Should we take MHVer3 more seriously?

If true, it seems like Yormark knows how to pressure.
07-30-2023 07:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.