Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who does the ACC take from the AAC?
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
Who does the ACC take from the AAC?
If dominoes fall and the ACC losses four, who's getting the call up?

I believe (not in the AAC) UCONN gets a call. That's one.

The other three? Not much value left out here in G5 land.

I can see them making overtures to WV, Cindy, and UCF. I don't think they will bite.

Next up, USF, Tulane, and SMU? Memphis?

Would still be a decent league but a clear #4 behind SEC. Big10 and Big 12.

(I know ECU will NEVER be invited to the ACC, let's just skip that mental exercise.) 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2023 06:10 AM by 8BitPirate.)
08-03-2023 06:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ourland Online
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
RE: Who does the ACC take from the AAC?
Same two or three that were projected for the PAC... SMU, Tulane, and Memphis.

There's still time for them to save their membership if they can reward their best schools with more money. Wake, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, and Louisville will all have to accept much lower payouts, or watch the conference crumble. There are no G5 schools left that bring meaningful value for a P5 conference, no offense personally to anyone.
08-03-2023 07:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I hate to break this to FSU fans that are acting nuts at the moment, but the ACC has 13 years remaining on their GOR and a program can't simply "get out" of a GOR because their feelings are hurt.

No one is going anywhere for at least 10+ years. For anyone to leave prior, it would require other ACC schools to vote in their own worst interest to allow schools to leave early.
08-03-2023 07:20 AM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(08-03-2023 07:09 AM)Ourland Wrote:  Same two or three that were projected for the PAC... SMU, Tulane, and Memphis.

There's still time for them to save their membership if they can reward their best schools with more money. Wake, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, and Louisville will all have to accept much lower payouts, or watch the conference crumble. There are no G5 schools left that bring meaningful value for a P5 conference, no offense personally to anyone.

The irony is, Wake Forest has been one of the strongest football members over the last decade, while Florida State has struggled since Jimbo Fisher left, but yet Florida State is the one bitching the most about not making enough money.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2023 07:23 AM by PirateJP.)
08-03-2023 07:22 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(08-03-2023 07:09 AM)Ourland Wrote:  Same two or three that were projected for the PAC... SMU, Tulane, and Memphis.

That all depends on who leaves these conferences. The bottom half of the ACC is relatively equal to the top half of the current AAC. So just a matter of how many teams they lose. Just have to go down our roster.

Agree that SMU and Memphis are likely the top candidates if the decision was being made today. I think both would prefer the ACC over a very uncertain PAC roster that will likely consist of the majority of the MWC.
08-03-2023 07:25 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-03-2023 07:20 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  I hate to break this to FSU fans that are acting nuts at the moment, but the ACC has 13 years remaining on their GOR and a program can't simply "get out" of a GOR because their feelings are hurt.

No one is going anywhere for at least 10+ years. For anyone to leave prior, it would require other ACC schools to vote in their own worst interest to allow schools to leave early.

Yeah, I don't see it either, especially as harsh as the ACC GOR appears to be. Also a factor most seem to ignore, the media partners who broadcast these conferences are giving indications they are tapped out & while they want the best ratings, the costs to get there has now reached diminishing returns.
08-03-2023 07:26 AM
Advertisement

Agust Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston

lets see...

take a paycut to see your most valuable teams happy
or
take a pay increase to see your valuable teams leave

or do nothing and get payed the same
this is a fun scenario to watch unfold and i hope it last another 10 years or so with more bickering and crying
08-03-2023 07:33 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-03-2023 07:26 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(08-03-2023 07:20 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  I hate to break this to FSU fans that are acting nuts at the moment, but the ACC has 13 years remaining on their GOR and a program can't simply "get out" of a GOR because their feelings are hurt.

Yeah, I don't see it either, especially as harsh as the ACC GOR appears to be. Also a factor most seem to ignore, the media partners who broadcast these conferences are giving indications they are tapped out & while they want the best ratings, the costs to get there has now reached diminishing returns.

ESPN is facing down a financial storm and their parent company is doing even worse. There will be absolutely ZERO appetite for them to spend huge sums of money to assist any school in breaking a GOR and FSU does not possess the funds to pay out the hundreds of millions of dollars that would be required to do so, even IF you assume that there's an actual contractual lever that allows them to do this (there isn't).
08-03-2023 07:50 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(08-03-2023 07:50 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  
(08-03-2023 07:26 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  

ESPN is facing down a financial storm and their parent company is doing even worse. There will be absolutely ZERO appetite for them to spend huge sums of money to assist any school in breaking a GOR and FSU does not possess the funds to pay out the hundreds of millions of dollars that would be required to do so, even IF you assume that there's an actual contractual lever that allows them to do this (there isn't).

What's crazy is that there is a buyout number floating around. They all granted rights to the conference, not ESPN, right?

If I'm the ACC, I'm not quantifying or accepting a buyout number. I'm happy to let you go play a Big 10 schedule, earn me even more eyeballs than an ACC schedule, free up ESPN viewing windows, pocket the loot for the next decade, and keep my conference from completely dismantling. Why on Earth would I accept a buyout, even if it's 350m?
08-03-2023 08:02 AM
Owls9878 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
UConn, USF, Temple, Memphis and SMU would probably be the leading candidates. Maybe Tulane too. Not sure if their athletic budget is up ACC standards. Very small enrollment too.

If it was me, I’d pick UConn, Temple, USF and Memphis.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2023 08:24 AM by Owls9878.)
08-03-2023 08:19 AM
Sea Pirate Offline
2nd String

(08-03-2023 06:08 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  If dominoes fall and the ACC losses four, who's getting the call up?

I believe (not in the AAC) UCONN gets a call. That's one.

The other three? Not much value left out here in G5 land.

I can see them making overtures to WV, Cindy, and UCF. I don't think they will bite.

Next up, USF, Tulane, and SMU? Memphis?

Would still be a decent league but a clear #4 behind SEC. Big10 and Big 12.

(I know ECU will NEVER be invited to the ACC, let's just skip that mental exercise.) 07-coffee3

I know ECU would be a hard pill to swallow for State and UNC but if a bunch of teams leave ECU will definitely be in the mix. FSU and Clemson to the SEC, UNC and UVA to the B10. If that happens it is wide open
08-03-2023 08:25 AM
Advertisement

DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

USF and UCONN that’s it.
08-03-2023 08:35 AM
Ourland Online
Heisman

(08-03-2023 07:33 AM)Agust Wrote:  

lets see...

take a paycut to see your most valuable teams happy
or
take a pay increase to see your valuable teams leave

or do nothing and get payed the same
this is a fun scenario to watch unfold and i hope it last another 10 years or so with more bickering and crying

It would be in their best interest to rework the revenue distribution model right now. Clemson, FSU, North Carolina, Virginia, and Virginia Tech all need to be making $40 million a year, even if the lesser schools are cut back to $15 million each. It sounds extreme, but save your conference at all costs.
08-03-2023 08:35 AM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

Who would want VT??
08-03-2023 08:36 AM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
Don't y'all think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here? The PAC will reload before the ACC. Sure, ACC programs will probably figure a way around their GOR, but it won't happen this week. I still think ACC movement is a few years down the road, and the question right now is still... Will any other AAC programs move to the PAC with SMU?
08-03-2023 08:43 AM
Owls9878 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(08-03-2023 08:43 AM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  Don't y'all think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here? The PAC will reload before the ACC. Sure, ACC programs will probably figure a way around their GOR, but it won't happen this week. I still think ACC movement is a few years down the road, and the question right now is still... Will any other AAC programs move to the PAC with SMU?

100%. This is pure fantasy talk at this point.
08-03-2023 08:49 AM
Advertisement

Ourland Online
Heisman

(08-03-2023 08:49 AM)Owls9878 Wrote:  
(08-03-2023 08:43 AM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  Don't y'all think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here? The PAC will reload before the ACC. Sure, ACC programs will probably figure a way around their GOR, but it won't happen this week. I still think ACC movement is a few years down the road, and the question right now is still... Will any other AAC programs move to the PAC with SMU?

That's what makes it so enjoyable. That's why we're here. It's fun.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2023 08:53 AM by Ourland.)
08-03-2023 08:52 AM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
If it happens: USF, UCONN, Memphis, Navy (FB only)
08-03-2023 08:54 AM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
(08-03-2023 08:52 AM)Ourland Wrote:  

If we're going to speculate about the ACC, I think we should first consider which program are going to be left in their conference. That would probably better inform where their holes are and what programs they might target.

Just my opinion, but I want to see this PAC situation resolved before debating too much about the ACC's future.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2023 09:00 AM by Side.Show.Joe.)
08-03-2023 08:58 AM
Ourland Online
Heisman

(08-03-2023 08:58 AM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(08-03-2023 08:52 AM)Ourland Wrote:  

If we're going to speculate about the ACC, I think we should first consider which program are going to be left in their conference. That would probably better inform where their holes are and what programs they might target.

Just my opinion, but I want to see this PAC situation resolved before debating too much about the ACC's future.

I feel the same, but Clemson, Florida State, Virginia, and North Carolina would go. No one wants VT, but they still need a big revenue bump.
08-03-2023 09:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.