Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If FSU Departs the End of Realignment Will Be Upon US. How Does the SEC Finish?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
If FSU Departs the End of Realignment Will Be Upon US. How Does the SEC Finish?
To Discuss this we have to ponder several potential scenarios:

The Big 10 only moves to 20:

If it is with California and Stanford, or Stanford and Notre Dame, the SEC also stops at 20. Why? Anything beyond 20 is not an offensive move, but likely a defensive move.

The common wisdom is that we would take Florida State, Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina. Now that there is no market footprint pay model having 3 Florida schools would triple dip a state of 22 million and the ratings would be terrific. But what's better for us, a major brand like Clemson, or a new state and a mid-tier brand with a decent stadium capacity like Virginia Tech? And of course, you take North Carolina.

Either way on Clemson vs Virginia Tech it is a solid 4 with which to stop.

The Big 10 wants to get into the Southeast and will expand to 24:

Here's where you go defensive if you are the SEC and ESPN has promised pro rata for additions:

Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia

These 8 basically lock them out of our region. If they take South Florida, they take South Florida. That's 8 schools, 3 new states, 6 AAU schools, and three national brands in football, and 3 national brands in Basketball which when added to Kentucky would be the 4 winningest programs of all time in the sport.

The Big 10 is at 18 now. If they picked up Notre Dame then Cal and Stanford, they would have to go back and pick up Colorado, Arizona State, and Utah from the Big 12 to finish out at 24 with all AAU schools.

Clemson and FSU give the SEC 14 of the top 25 revenue producers in the nation.
It gives the SEC the top-notch lineup for Basketball in the Winter months.
It only consolidates tremendous baseball talent in the Southeast & Southwest.

It leaves the SEC essentially untouchable in the big 3 sports.

I like this kind of power conference set up.

Thoughts?
08-06-2023 07:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: If FSU Departs the End of Realignment Will Be Upon US. How Does the SEC Finish?
SEC had to grab FSU and Clemson to defend the turf, as they say.

Next, do what it takes to acquire North Carolina. Hopefully just UVA, but the BOR might try and force NCSU with UNC—I would prefer Duke just because I want to see hogs-blue devils every other year on the hard wood.

Also, if Notre Dame is looking for another conference as a partial, talk to them about partial and full membership.

I read somewhere the SEC was discussing a bold expansion to put the B1G in its place with 4-6 ACC schools. My guess to that would be Notre Dame, FSU, CU, UNC, UVA, Duke. I think there is resistance to add Miami so B1G can grab them and GT in the current footprint. B1G will probably also add the other Virginia school and then look to round up if need be.
08-07-2023 04:11 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: If FSU Departs the End of Realignment Will Be Upon US. How Does the SEC Finish?
The SEC is on the clock right now. The next two best draft picks available are Clemson and FSU. The SEC needs them to negotiate a TV deal similar to what the Big Ten will demand in the future. The more ACC teams we grab the better, but we just cannot let the Big Ten and Fox end up with FSU and Clemson.
08-08-2023 08:28 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
A recent private message made me think about other research associations besides the AAU. I know nothing about the ORAU (Oak Ridge Associated Universities) but all current members of the SEC are in it.

Clemson, Duke, FSU, NC State, UNC, UVA, VT, Miami, GT, and Louisville are all in it.
USF, UCF, OK State, Texas Tech, Notre Dame are also in it

Only 9 of the 18 Big 10 members are in it.

10 SEC members are land grants. Clemson, VT, NC State are all land grants as is OK State.

Texas, OK, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Vandy are all space grants.
Alabama and South Carolina are sea grants.

NC State, USF, UCF, Louisville, Texas Tech, Miami, OK State, Kansas State are all space grants.

10 SEC members belong to the URA, including every expansion school except Missouri.

Duke, FSU, UNC, UVA, VT, GT, Kansas State are all ARU.

I could have missed a few schools. But this does show some of who are "cultural" fits.

If we are talking just the ACC schools, FSU, Clemson, NC State, VT, Miami, GT, and UVA, Louisville are all land/space grant schools in the ORAU (losing UNC/Duke from the just ORAU list).

Only FSU, VT, GT, and UVA are all three.

An expansion with these four seems a little odd though.
08-09-2023 03:30 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
20 with Clemson, Florida St, Miami, North Carolina
24 with Duke, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Virginia

I could sub Georgia Tech out for Louisville or Virginia Tech.
08-09-2023 05:35 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(08-06-2023 07:29 AM)JRsec Wrote:  To Discuss this we have to ponder several potential scenarios:

If it is with California and Stanford, or Stanford and Notre Dame, the SEC also stops at 20. Why? Anything beyond 20 is not an offensive move, but likely a defensive move.

The common wisdom is that we would take Florida State, Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina. Now that there is no market footprint pay model having 3 Florida schools would triple dip a state of 22 million and the ratings would be terrific. But what's better for us, a major brand like Clemson, or a new state and a mid-tier brand with a decent stadium capacity like Virginia Tech? And of course, you take North Carolina.

Here's where you go defensive if you are the SEC and ESPN has promised pro rata for additions:

Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia

These 8 basically lock them out of our region. If they take South Florida, they take South Florida. That's 8 schools, 3 new states, 6 AAU schools, and three national brands in football, and 3 national brands in Basketball which when added to Kentucky would be the 4 winningest programs of all time in the sport.

The Big 10 is at 18 now. If they picked up Notre Dame then Cal and Stanford, they would have to go back and pick up Colorado, Arizona State, and Utah from the Big 12 to finish out at 24 with all AAU schools.

Thoughts?

Several comments:

24 members? Adding 8 new members at once, or within a few years of one another, would certainly have a monumental impact. That's a heck of a lot of schools to schedule and manage.

What is the SEC's and BIG's goal? Lift all the valued schools, 8 to 10 from the ACC, and do a PAC 'number' (destruction) on the ACC? Have the ACC to continue to exist, though revamped, may actually be beneficial to the SEC.

Due to football priorities, football successes, facilities, fan bases, etc., Florida State and Clemson, are no-brainer choices for the SEC.

North Carolina and Virginia certainly need pursued by the SEC. One or both, may attempt to accept SEC offers IF in-state rival/sister school(s) are brought along, i.e. NCSU or Duke, and VPI. Miami would be a good backup.

I would not dismiss Georgia Tech for serious consideration. While in recent years, Tech has not been investing heavy in athletics, they do have a rich history behind them, and that includes periods of basketball. Tech is a school, due to name and location, that could do well with NIL.

A play for Notre Dame, by the SEC shouldn't be out of the question. They try to recruit extensively in the south, and would want to continue to separate themselves from their geographic, Midwest brethren. I'd certainly not want them to enter the SEC as a football partial, but maybe allow them to 2 to 4 ooc pre-determined and approved games to count toward a SEC divisional standing, plus a minimum of five or six SEC football opponents. That's as far as I would suggest in terms of any special accommodation.

To the west, I see Kansas as a somewhat viable prospect in broad expansion. It would be beneficial to Missouri and SEC basketball. Oklahoma State is more worthy than given credit. They have a solid, well-rounded athletic program that would be competitive in the SEC in multiple sports.

I don't think the BIG and the SEC need to be playing tit for tat. The BIG can claim the Midwest, west coast, upper plains, and northeast as their turf. Fine, let that be. The SEC protects its footprint across the south and a couple of border regions. I'd say add the mid-Atlantic prime choices below Maryland. That means dominate in North Carolina and Virginia. Both the BIG and the SEC will continue to have some overlap with ACC and Big12 territories. That's OK. Neither can take everyone, nor should they.

Lastly, I'd like to see the BIG and the SEC agree on consistent, maximum members. That should apply to the Big12 as well. Personally, I'd favor seeing expansion stop at 20 schools per conference, at least for awhile. Overdoing it can lead to some troubling consequences. The SEC hasn't even operated with the 16 yet. Same with the BIG who already now, is committed to 18.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2023 11:45 AM by OdinFrigg.)
08-11-2023 11:21 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-11-2023 11:21 AM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(08-06-2023 07:29 AM)JRsec Wrote:  To Discuss this we have to ponder several potential scenarios:

Thoughts?

Several comments:

24 members? Adding 8 new members at once, or within a few years of one another, would certainly have a monumental impact. That's a heck of a lot of schools to schedule and manage.

What is the SEC's and BIG's goal? Lift all the valued schools, 8 to 10 from the ACC, and do a PAC number on the ACC? Have the ACC to continue to exist, though revamped, may actually be beneficial to the SEC.

Due to football priorities, football successes, facilities, fan bases, etc., Florida State and Clemson, are no-brainer SEC choices for the SEC.

North Carolina and Virginia certainly need pursued by the SEC. One or both, may attempt to accept SEC offers IF in-state rival/sister school(s) are brought along, i.e. NCSU or Duke, and VPI. Miamiwould be a good backup.

I would not dismiss Georgia Tech for serious consideration. While in recent years, Tech has not been investing heavy in athletics, they do have rich history behind them, and that includes periods of basketball. Tech is a school, due to name and location, that could do well with NIL.

A play for Notre Dame, by the SEC shouldn't be out of the question. They try to recruit extensively in the south, and would want to continue to separated themselves from their geographic, Midwest brethren. I'd certainly not want them to enter the SEC as a football partial, but maybe allow them to count 2 to 4 ooc pre-determined and approved games count toward a SEC divisional standing, plus a minimum of five or six SEC football opponents. That's as far as I would suggest in terms of any special accommodation.

To the west, I see only Kansasas a viable prospect in broad expansion. Oklahoma Stateis more worthy than given credit. They have a solid, well-rounded athletic program that would be competitive in the SEC in multiple sports.

I don't think the BIG and the SEC need to be playing tit for tat. The BIG can claim the Midwest, west coast, upper plains, and northeast as their turf. Fine, let that be. The SEC protects its footprint across the south and a couple of boarder regions. I'd say add the mid-Atlantic prime choices below Maryland. That means dominate in North Carolina and Virginia. Both the BIG and the SEC will continue to have some overlap with ACC and Big12 territories. That's OK. Neither can take everyone, nor should they.

Lastly, I'd like to see the BIG and the SEC agree on consistent, maximum members. That should apply to the Big12 as well. Personally, I'd like to see expansion stop at 20 schools per conference, at least for a while. Overdoing it can lead to some troubling consequences. The SEC hasn't even operated with the 16 yet. Same with the BIG who already now, committed to 18.

You miss the main issue with your attribution of the motive to add more schools, when you assign that to the SEC and Big 10. It's a network game now, not a conference one. The Big 10 and SEC are the two solid cores around which the rival networks are assimilating properties to form two leagues. You cannot assess anything properly until you drop the academician mindset.

What has changed? NIL, Transfer Portal, and soon enough Pay for Play and some conferences are discussing revenue sharing. This isn't about amateur college athletics Odin Frigg. This is about a professionalized athletic for-profit endeavor which will be ever more loosely attached to the universities. Is that what I wanted ever? Hell no! It is what corporate America has brought to you by taking over through media networks what was once a valuable but disorganized product which had tremendous upside. And understand I am addressing my remarks only a bit at you and at the hive mind of the board more comprehensively. The only thing I essentially disagree with in your post, as I accept it from your perspective, is the notion that the Big 10 is content in the regions you assigned to them. They are not! Warren stated otherwise, and activity I am aware of indicates that they very much want to be in Florida and North Carolina. And that erodes our profit from advertising. Now as to what is happening:

It was my first post on this board, and it will likely be the last reference I make prior to leaving it. I've said it all before and countless times. and it has not sunken in upon Frank the Tank, nor a hundred or so other posters because they see the schools' colors and logos and think it is what it was in 1970. It all has been a hostile corporate takeover to restructure the disorganized product and profit from it for themselves. The schools missed their shot after 1983 as academicians everywhere washed their hands of managing athletics. Into that void the former contract lawyers for the networks stepped. Delaney and Slive were two of the best. But what were they accustomed to doing? Signing contracts for....the networks, not the schools. And that is where it all went astray.

ESPN has 100% of two products now. The SEC and ACC. They added Big 12 schools from the Southwest because they wanted to dominate and monopolize the largest two regions where football is still widely played by kids in high school and adored by the fans as part of their culture. It was where the future of college football was the most sheltered and would last the longest. By having all of the SEC and ACC and the top brands of the Big 12 ESPN not only locks the rest of their competitors out of the region, but the proxies of FOX as well. And in doing so they garner the top ad rates for the entire 2 and half regions.

It's not about what the SEC wants and hasn't been since 2011.

Consolidation is going on. Networks want more brand-on-brand games, and they are culling SKUs from the inventory if they aren't in high demand. They want iconic brands, hot teams, and large alumni bases with large stadia. They want spectacle and pageantry and passion. And they want that in a preset number of SKUs which they can market, and which will provide some balance in wins and losses with a few apex predator teams and a few well known and large cellar dwellers.

They don't care if adding 8 more schools to the SEC gives Sankey and team a headache trying to schedule it all, besides computers set that up quite nicely and quickly and the real trick are the personalities, not the schedules. But throw money at it and they go along.

Try some math on for size. If the ACC loses 7 schools to the SEC and 2 to the Big 10 and sends 5 to the Big 12 here is what ESPN sees:

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami sews up and keeps their monopoly in what we call the Deep South (everything below Tennessee and North Carolina). UNC and N.C. State make 6. Virginia Tech for markets in another southern state makes 7. Here we deviate from the Magnificent 7 by subbing Georgia Tech in a major metropolis for Virginia which culturally is no longer Southern. But the motive is placement of schools to cull overhead and maximize profit, not fit.

The Big 10 would likely take Virginia and Duke and hope to land Notre Dame. If they take Stanford and Cal, they are at 20 schools. Virginia and Duke make 22, and they wait on Notre Dame before moving to 24. Why 24? 24 is 12 games a week. Between FOX and FS1 they have 6 games. NBC has a 7th, CBS has an 8th, and the BTN generally has 2 for 10. They are looking to add another late-night game on the West Coast so that's 11. The 12 can be fit in anywhere or played on Friday or Sunday and basically is insurance against a weather disrupted game somewhere.

ESPN has 3 cable channels with ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU and add the SECN and ABC which wants 2 games a week eventually and has 1 now.

TV time slots dictate the size of the conference The conferences do not.

Now back to the math. 7 ACC schools to the SEC at pro rata is 35 million a school more x 7 = 245 million more to ESPN. So, all the lame brains on the main board chime the same mantra of hive mindedness, "ESPN is in a money tight they would never spend money for this when they hold rights more cheaply in the ACC." And herein resides the extent of their willingness to think about the situation. What's worse is you have dolts in the media, I've worked with them trust me they aren't bright bulbs. They just repeat the same nonsense because it's easy to write, accepted because it affirms the public's beliefs rather than challenging them to think, and so creates a self-supportive, but wrong, feedback loop.

In this scenario 2 schools move to the Big 10 and ESPN loses having to pay those 2 x the 40 million each they get now. That equals a -80 million. The remaining 5 schools head to the Big 12 where they cost ESPN in their odd share with FOX 20 million each. That's 20 million less than in the ACC. So, 5 x -20 million = -100 million. Notre Dame is out of the deal so lose another 17 million. 245 million - 197 million = 47 million dollars more. But we aren't done. Roll the ACCN expenses into the SECN expenses and you lose about 100 million more a year in duplicated overhead and talking heads, plus ESPN now can sell some production facility sites. ESPN is 53 million to the good and we aren't done. Each game that the 7 ACC schools which have moved to the SEC will play is now worth about 10 million more for a conference game (T1 in the SEC is 28 million a game and in the ACC 17). Let's assume there are 9 conference games each minimally that will be created by the move. That's 630 million more off of the added inventory that ESPN will make with the logo changes on those jerseys.
Now are you beginning to see why so many voices out there screaming, "This will never happen. ESPN is cash strapped. They can't afford to pay these schools more in the SEC!" are just mindless repeaters of uninformed positions and our nation is now rife with them. It disgusts me!

ESPN by those moves will keep its monopoly on the Deep South, share some territory in the Mid Atlantic latitude, keep its major brands in Texas and Oklahoma, perhaps add Kansas which would cost them 35 million rounding their total profit in the moves to around 670 million.

Sankey is told how much more the SEC will be worth in tournament credits for hoops tourney, and playoff money. How the ad revenue will expand with consolidation and the SECN will be getting a large boost. He is told he Big 10 will be going to 24 and that the inventory difference will give the Big 10 a monetary advantage, something which in the age of transfer portals and NIL cannot be accepted.

They'll make room for the 7 ACC schools. A computer will handle the scheduling, and money and exposure will salve any minor abrasions the members may feel.

Now, in your list above you talk about adding 8 being a lot to swallow, it is, but then you justify 6 in your argumentation. Truly at that point what's 2 more? They are just being added and paid pro rata because the network needs 12 games a week which means on a few weeks they only get 11 due to byes. For that reason alone, I've heard the number 28 tossed out there. I think it will be 24 and adjustments will be made and if ND remains independent, they might just sign on to play so many against the SEC, so many against the Big 10 and so many against the Big 12. Those should help cover the byes and I think 2 dozen divided into 4 divisions of 6 is where we are headed. Make the divisions regional and it cuts down on travel.

The key here is that the Big 10 has to have two palatable and desirable schools to offset the added cost to the ESPN for those moving from the ACC to the SEC.

Maybe you understand my viewpoint from a different perspective now. I'm not looking at it from the SEC standpoint. I'm looking at it from the network standpoint because that's all that has mattered since 2011.

It is a lot to swallow at once, but I would rather see us do that and get it all over for an extended period of time, than to continue to harass the public and viewing audience with constant change that only pisses them off. We need stasis to heal. Sankey is correct however in that all he can control are preferences and his stated two preferences are to remain regional in the larger sense of the word, and to restore as many rivalries as possible which is one reason I keep looking at Kansas.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2023 12:43 PM by JRsec.)
08-11-2023 12:15 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(08-11-2023 12:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Several comments:

What is the SEC's and BIG's goal? Lift all the valued schools, 8 to 10 from the ACC, and do a PAC number on the ACC? Have the ACC to continue to exist, though revamped, may actually be beneficial to the SEC.

Due to football priorities, football successes, facilities, fan bases, etc., Florida State and Clemson, are no-brainer SEC choices for the SEC.

North Carolina and Virginia certainly need pursued by the SEC. One or both, may attempt to accept SEC offers IF in-state rival/sister school(s) are brought along, i.e. NCSU or Duke, and VPI. Miamiwould be a good backup.

I would not dismiss Georgia Tech for serious consideration. While in recent years, Tech has not been investing heavy in athletics, they do have rich history behind them, and that includes periods of basketball. Tech is a school, due to name and location, that could do well with NIL.

A play for Notre Dame, by the SEC shouldn't be out of the question. They try to recruit extensively in the south, and would want to continue to separated themselves from their geographic, Midwest brethren. I'd certainly not want them to enter the SEC as a football partial, but maybe allow them to count 2 to 4 ooc pre-determined and approved games count toward a SEC divisional standing, plus a minimum of five or six SEC football opponents. That's as far as I would suggest in terms of any special accommodation.

To the west, I see only Kansasas a viable prospect in broad expansion. Oklahoma Stateis more worthy than given credit. They have a solid, well-rounded athletic program that would be competitive in the SEC in multiple sports.

I don't think the BIG and the SEC need to be playing tit for tat. The BIG can claim the Midwest, west coast, upper plains, and northeast as their turf. Fine, let that be. The SEC protects its footprint across the south and a couple of boarder regions. I'd say add the mid-Atlantic prime choices below Maryland. That means dominate in North Carolina and Virginia. Both the BIG and the SEC will continue to have some overlap with ACC and Big12 territories. That's OK. Neither can take everyone, nor should they.

Lastly, I'd like to see the BIG and the SEC agree on consistent, maximum members. That should apply to the Big12 as well. Personally, I'd like to see expansion stop at 20 schools per conference, at least for a while. Overdoing it can lead to some troubling consequences. The SEC hasn't even operated with the 16 yet. Same with the BIG who already now, committed to 18.

You miss the main issue with your attribution of the motive to add more schools, when you assign that to the SEC and Big 10. It's a network game now, not a conference one. The Big 10 and SEC are the two solid cores around which the rival networks are assimilating properties to form two leagues. You cannot assess anything properly until you drop the academician mindset.

What has changed? NIL, Transfer Portal, and soon enough Pay for Play and some conferences are discussing revenue sharing. This isn't about amateur college athletics Odin Frigg. This is about a professionalized athletic for-profit endeavor which will be ever more loosely attached to the universities. Is that what I wanted ever? Hell no! It is what corporate America has brought to you by taking over through media networks what was once a valuable but disorganized product which had tremendous upside. And understand I am addressing my remarks only a bit at you and at the hive mind of the board more comprehensively. The only thing I essentially disagree with in your post, as I accept it from your perspective, is the notion that the Big 10 is content in the regions you assigned to them. They are not! Warren stated otherwise, and activity I am aware of indicates that they very much want to be in Florida and North Carolina. And that erodes our profit from advertising. Now as to what is happening:

It was my first post on this board, and it will likely be the last reference I make prior to leaving it. I've said it all before and countless times. and it has not sunken in upon Frank the Tank, nor a hundred or so other posters because they see the schools' colors and logos and think it is what it was in 1970. It all has been a hostile corporate takeover to restructure the disorganized product and profit from it for themselves. The schools missed their shot after 1983 as academicians everywhere washed their hands of managing athletics. Into that void the former contract lawyers for the networks stepped. Delaney and Slive were two of the best. But what were they accustomed to doing? Signing contracts for....the networks, not the schools. And that is where it all went astray.

ESPN has 100% of two products now. The SEC and ACC. They added Big 12 schools from the Southwest because they wanted to dominate and monopolize the largest two regions where football is still widely played by kids in high school and adored by the fans as part of their culture. It was where the future of college football was the most sheltered and would last the longest. By having all of the SEC and ACC and the top brands of the Big 12 ESPN not only locks the rest of their competitors out of the region, but the proxies of FOX as well. And in doing so they garner the top ad rates for the entire 2 and half regions.

Consolidation is going on. Networks want more brand-on-brand games, and they are culling SKUs from the inventory if they aren't in high demand. They want iconic brands, hot teams, and large alumni bases with large stadia. They want spectacle and pageantry and passion. And they want that in a preset number of SKUs which they can market, and which will provide some balance in wins and losses with a few apex predator teams and a few well known and large cellar dwellers.

They don't care if adding 8 more schools to the SEC gives Sankey and team a headache trying to schedule it all, besides computers set that up quite nicely and quickly and the real trick are the personalities, not the schedules. But throw money at it and they go along.

Try some math on for size. If the ACC loses 7 schools to the SEC and 2 to the Big 10 and sends 5 to the Big 12 here is what ESPN sees:

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami sews up and keeps their monopoly in what we call the Deep South (everything below Tennessee and North Carolina). UNC and N.C. State make 6. Virginia Tech for markets in another southern state makes 7. Here we deviate from the Magnificent 7 by subbing Georgia Tech in a major metropolis for Virginia which culturally is no longer Southern. But the motive is placement of schools to cull overhead and maximize profit, not fit.

The Big 10 would likely take Virginia and Duke and hope to land Notre Dame. If they take Stanford and Cal, they are at 20 schools. Virginia and Duke make 22, and they wait on Notre Dame before moving to 24. Why 24? 24 is 12 games a week. Between FOX and FS1 they have 6 games. NBC has a 7th, CBS has an 8th, and the BTN generally has 2 for 10. They are looking to add another late-night game on the West Coast so that's 11. The 12 can be fit in anywhere or played on Friday or Sunday and basically is insurance against a weather disrupted game somewhere.

ESPN has 3 cable channels with ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU and add the SECN and ABC which wants 2 games a week eventually and has 1 now.

Now back to the math. 7 ACC schools to the SEC at pro rata is 35 million a school more x 7 = 245 million more to ESPN. So, all the lame brains on the main board chime the same mantra of hive mindedness, "ESPN is in a money tight they would never spend money for this when they hold rights more cheaply in the ACC." And herein resides the extent of their willingness to think about the situation. What's worse is you have dolts in the media, I've worked with them trust me they aren't bright bulbs. They just repeat the same nonsense because it's easy to write, accepted because it affirms the public's beliefs rather than challenging them to think, and so creates a self-supportive, but wrong, feedback loop.

In this scenario 2 schools move to the Big 10 and ESPN loses having to pay those 2 x the 40 million each they get now. That equals a -80 million. The remaining 5 schools head to the Big 12 where they cost ESPN in their odd share with FOX 20 million each. That's 20 million less than in the ACC. So, 5 x -20 million = -100 million. Notre Dame is out of the deal so lose another 17 million. 245 million - 197 million = 47 million dollars more. But we aren't done. Roll the ACCN expenses into the SECN expenses and you lose about 100 million more a year in duplicated overhead and talking heads, plus ESPN now can sell some production facility sites. ESPN is 53 million to the good and we aren't done. Each game that the 7 ACC schools which have moved to the SEC will play is now worth about 10 million more for a conference game (T1 in the SEC is 28 million a game and in the ACC 17). Let's assume there are 9 conference games each minimally that will be created by the move. That's 630 million more off of the added inventory that ESPN will make with the logo changes on those jerseys.
Now are you beginning to see why so many voices out there screaming, "This will never happen. ESPN is cash strapped. They can't afford to pay these schools more in the SEC!" are just mindless repeaters of uninformed positions and our nation is now rife with them. It disgusts me!

ESPN by those moves will keep its monopoly on the Deep South, share some territory in the Mid Atlantic latitude, keep its major brands in Texas and Oklahoma, perhaps add Kansas which would cost them 35 million rounding their total profit in the moves to around 670 million.

Sankey is told how much more the SEC will be worth in tournament credits for hoops tourney, and playoff money. How the ad revenue will expand with consolidation and the SECN will be getting a large boost. He is told he Big 10 will be going to 24 and that the inventory difference will give the Big 10 a monetary advantage, something which in the age of transfer portals and NIL cannot be accepted.

They'll make room for the 7 ACC schools. A computer will handle the scheduling, and money and exposure will salve any minor abrasions the members may feel.

Now, in your list above you talk about adding 8 being a lot to swallow, it is, but then you justify 6 in your argumentation. Truly at that point what's 2 more? They are just being added and paid pro rata because the network needs 12 games a week which means on a few weeks they only get 11 due to byes. For that reason alone, I've heard the number 28 tossed out there. I think it will be 24 and adjustments will be made and if ND remains independent, they might just sign on to play so many against the SEC, so many against the Big 10 and so many against the Big 12. Those should help cover the byes and I think 2 dozen divided into 4 divisions of 6 is where we are headed. Make the divisions regional and it cuts down on travel.

The key here is that the Big 10 has to have two palatable and desirable schools to offset the added cost to the ESPN for those moving from the ACC to the SEC.

Maybe you understand my viewpoint from a different perspective now. I'm not looking at it from the SEC standpoint. I'm looking at it from the network standpoint because that's all that has mattered since 2011.

It is a lot to swallow at once, but I would rather see us do that and get it all over for an extended period of time, than to continue to harass the public and viewing audience with constant change that only pisses them off. We need stasis to heal. Sankey is correct however in that all he can control are preferences and his stated two preferences are to remain regional in the larger sense of the word, and to restore as many rivalries as possible which is one reason I keep looking at Kansas.

As ESPN streamlines and is not in an adventurous mood, I would not be surprised if a new corporate owner is announced in the near future. Murdoch’s Fox, or another corporate media entity, may end up absorbing ESPN. Disney has let it float.
08-11-2023 04:34 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-11-2023 04:34 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Several comments:

As ESPN streamlines and is not in an adventurous mood, I would not be surprised if a new corporate owner is announced in the near future. Murdoch’s Fox, or another corporate media entity, may end up absorbing ESPN. Disney has let it float.

Apple and Blackrock have already been mentioned. FOX would have some antitrust issues.
08-11-2023 04:42 PM
ICThawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU
(08-11-2023 04:42 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Thoughts?

Several comments:

Apple and Blackrock have already been mentioned. FOX would have some antitrust issues.

Wall Street analyst says that Apple partnering or buying ESPN is a "no brainer."

https://deadline.com/2023/08/apple-espn-...235521014/
08-17-2023 11:04 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-17-2023 11:04 PM)ICThawk Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 04:42 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 11:21 AM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Several comments:

Wall Street analyst says that Apple partnering or buying ESPN is a "no brainer."

https://deadline.com/2023/08/apple-espn-...235521014/

Thanks for sharing with the board. I saw it earlier today and the thing that resonates with me is the synergy between the two, and the added fact that Tim Cook graduated from Auburn and did his graduate work at Duke makes it really interesting since he contributes to both schools for academics and again for athletics.
08-17-2023 11:09 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

Flugar updated the stage for Act III realignment in the ACC
1. FSU standing off of the stage
2. Notre Dame sitting in middle of row 5
3. Toni Petitte (B1G commish) and NBC to the far corner of row 6
4. In the Foyer: UNC, UVA, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Miami
5. NC State is not in the Foyer.

I would hope Sankey and ESPN make their sales pitch to ND. I wouldn’t mind seeing ND, UNC, UVA and Duke added. FSU and Clemson would be great football additions.
09-25-2023 09:52 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(09-25-2023 09:52 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Flugar updated the stage for Act III realignment in the ACC

I would hope Sankey and ESPN make their sales pitch to ND. I wouldn’t mind seeing ND, UNC, UVA and Duke added. FSU and Clemson would be great football additions.
You do know Fluguar is simply a Big 10 disinformation source right? They lent him some credibility with the USC/UCLA announcement which came about a year after I suggested the PAC 12 would be the Big 10's targets. They acted because USC was looking around and they didn't want ESPN picking up USC as an independent and pairing them with N.D. in the ACC.

Sankey is rightfully happy with his 16, but he knows this is going bigger and his remarks were what? We want to stay regional. Who does that tell you he's looking at acquiring? UNC, Duke, Clemson, FSU, perhaps Miami, perhaps the Virginia schools. Whose #8? Kansas, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame?

ESPN will keep what it wants in the SEC. In the end the Big 10 will go to 20 with Cal and Stanford. If ESPN has protected Duke, UNC and Virginia and Miami, where do they go? Arizona and Colorado? Kansas maybe Missouri?

They play the game that the world wants to be in the Big 10. Texas didn't. Oklahoma didn't. North Carolina doesn't. Virginia is their best possibility in the ACC. Miami would go either way but with travel costs likely to continue to go up even they would prefer to stay more local, though local is still a plane flight for them just about anywhere but Gainesville and Tallahassee.
09-25-2023 10:18 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(09-25-2023 10:18 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(09-25-2023 09:52 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Flugar updated the stage for Act III realignment in the ACC

You do know Fluguar is simply a Big 10 disinformation source right? They lent him some credibility with the USC/UCLA announcement which came about a year after I suggested the PAC 12 would be the Big 10's targets. They acted because USC was looking around and they didn't want ESPN picking up USC as an independent and pairing them with N.D. in the ACC.

Sankey is rightfully happy with his 16, but he knows this is going bigger and his remarks were what? We want to stay regional. Who does that tell you he's looking at acquiring? UNC, Duke, Clemson, FSU, perhaps Miami, perhaps the Virginia schools. Whose #8? Kansas, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame?

ESPN will keep what it wants in the SEC. In the end the Big 10 will go to 20 with Cal and Stanford. If ESPN has protected Duke, UNC and Virginia and Miami, where do they go? Arizona and Colorado? Kansas maybe Missouri?

They play the game that the world wants to be in the Big 10. Texas didn't. Oklahoma didn't. North Carolina doesn't. Virginia is their best possibility in the ACC. Miami would go either way but with travel costs likely to continue to go up even they would prefer to stay more local, though local is still a plane flight for them just about anywhere but Gainesville and Tallahassee.

So, basically the SEC & the B1G are holding companies for ESPN & Fox/CBS/NBC?? But given the B1G's last expansion, that does make a lot of sense. JR, one thing doesn't make sense to me though: why would Fox tease USC/UCLA about going after Oregon & Washington, when they planned to grab them all along?? And why make Oregon & Washington come in at reduced shares?? That sounds cruel now that I think about it that way.
09-25-2023 11:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(09-25-2023 11:17 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(09-25-2023 10:18 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

So, basically the SEC & the B1G are holding companies for ESPN & Fox/CBS/NBC?? But given the B1G's last expansion, that does make a lot of sense. JR, one thing doesn't make sense to me though: why would Fox tease USC/UCLA about going after Oregon & Washington, when they planned to grab them all along?? And why make Oregon & Washington come in at reduced shares?? That sounds cruel now that I think about it that way.

That's the way Murdoch and the Big 10 do business. Think of all of the reduced shares the Big 10 has collected for close to decade by each school that joined except for Penn State (I think) and USC and UCLA. Rutgers, Nebraska, Maryland, Oregon and Washington are all kept poor? Why? It maintains the Big 10 pecking order for another decade. With FOX it is just a matter of leverage and profit.
09-25-2023 11:21 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

Sapakoff: Clemson’s ACC departure may be ‘sooner’ as Gamecocks fret

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ca...cde8d.html

Bumrush of ACC schools as FSU, Clemson, UNC are leading the charge out. They are expected to be joined with one or more ACC schools in working on a group settlement to leave the conference…supposedly. Magnificent Seven schools are the usual suspects.

I’m waiting on a leaked copy to read the whole thing, but you can find people covering its contents elsewhere.

Interesting that USCe is trying to block Clemson who also has a Big Ten option.

FSU, Clemson and Notre Dame are the ratings gold mines. Other schools have value to both the SEC and B1G. It’ll be fun to see where everyone lands.
09-27-2023 01:25 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

(09-27-2023 01:25 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Sapakoff: Clemson’s ACC departure may be ‘sooner’ as Gamecocks fret

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ca...cde8d.html

Bumrush of ACC schools as FSU, Clemson, UNC are leading the charge out. They are expected to be joined with one or more ACC schools in working on a group settlement to leave the conference…supposedly. Magnificent Seven schools are the usual suspects.

I’m waiting on a leaked copy to read the whole thing, but you can find people covering its contents elsewhere.

Interesting that USCe is trying to block Clemson who also has a Big Ten option.

FSU, Clemson and Notre Dame are the ratings gold mines. Other schools have value to both the SEC and B1G. It’ll be fun to see where everyone lands.

https://archive.ph/5JYPA
09-27-2023 01:39 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
If it comes down to Clemson vs Virginia Tech I would guess timing is important. Today you take Clemson, but if we wait til 2036 and Clemson has a downturn, or VT gets closer back to Beamer-era success, then its VT.

At 24, both are in along with UNC, Miami and FSU. Let's go big and say ND, and then UVA, Kansas. Could easily be GT and Louisville. Or maybe even ND, Kansas and Louisville and go all in on basketball (which could mean Duke too).
09-27-2023 02:19 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(09-27-2023 02:19 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  If it comes down to Clemson vs Virginia Tech I would guess timing is important. Today you take Clemson, but if we wait til 2036 and Clemson has a downturn, or VT gets closer back to Beamer-era success, then its VT.

At 24, both are in along with UNC, Miami and FSU. Let's go big and say ND, and then UVA, Kansas. Could easily be GT and Louisville. Or maybe even ND, Kansas and Louisville and go all in on basketball (which could mean Duke too).

I think if the move is to 20 you will see North Carolina, Clemson and Florida State to the SEC and the 4th will be a bit of a surprise, Duke.

If the push is then to 24 for defensive reasons Miami and Georgia Tech come into play. If North Carolina and Duke do head to the SEC Virginia may want in as well. Virginia Tech would cement that deal since the Big 10 likely won't take them.

That's your Magnificent 7 minus N.C. State and Plus Duke and Georgia Tech.

If the Goal of Sankey is to keep regional identity, then a move like that would work, and force the Big 10 to continue expanding out West. They are at 18 already. If they picked up Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, California and Stanford along with Colorado and Kansas they meet their requirements and hit 24 as well and we don't have to stomach them in our region.

BTW: Pastides, president at South Carolina in 2011, was wanting to nominate Clemson for membership. That's their donation game. I noticed here the one interviewed was Beamer, a man who has no input over the situation. At the state level South Carolina will do what is best for Clemson. They both count on the same legislators for appropriations.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2023 02:51 PM by JRsec.)
09-27-2023 02:31 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(09-27-2023 02:31 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(09-27-2023 02:19 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  If it comes down to Clemson vs Virginia Tech I would guess timing is important. Today you take Clemson, but if we wait til 2036 and Clemson has a downturn, or VT gets closer back to Beamer-era success, then its VT.

I think if the move is to 20 you will see North Carolina, Clemson and Florida State to the SEC and the 4th will be a bit of a surprise, Duke.

If the push is then to 24 for defensive reasons Miami and Georgia Tech come into play. If North Carolina and Duke do head to the SEC Virginia may want in as well. Virginia Tech would cement that deal since the Big 10 likely won't take them.

That's your Magnificent 7 minus N.C. State and Plus Duke and Georgia Tech.

If the Goal of Sankey is to keep regional identity, then a move like that would work, and force the Big 10 to continue expanding out West. They are at 18 already. If they picked up Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, California and Stanford along with Colorado and Kansas they meet their requirements and hit 24 as well and we don't have to stomach them in our region.

BTW: Pastides, president at South Carolina in 2011, was wanting to nominate Clemson for membership. That's their donation game. I noticed here the one interviewed was Beamer, a man who has no input over the situation. At the state level South Carolina will do what is best for Clemson. They both count on the same legislators for appropriations.

I can’t see the B1G getting completely shut out of any quality ACC pieces.

At minimum I see Miami and Georgia Tech headed to the B1G as GT just doesn’t bring in enough ratings or relevance. It seems the SEC might not be too fond of Miami, plus they just got AAU accreditation so the B1G is probably salivating.

JR, I think a bidding war for UNC could take place—hopefully adding Duke is enough. I keep getting 1990’s vibes from FSU; would they spur another SEC invitation and join the B1G?

Next few weeks should be fun.
09-27-2023 05:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.