Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2 or 4 Rival Games or take the B1G Approch?
Pitt2003 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Pitt
2 or 4 Rival Games or take the B1G Approch?
Now that it’s official, how does the ACC approach permanent rival/games? As we all know, with an odd number of members, the current structure of 3 permanent rivals won’t work starting next season. The question is; does the ACC go with 2 or 4 per school. Or, do they take the B1G approach and chose only those that are important to the various schools?

I don’t think 2 is enough, but I can work. As a Pitt grad/fan, I’d be happy with Syracuse and VaTech. Not happy with BC instead of VT.

I’d prefer going with 4. Keep the current matchups, and add a 4th to the current schools while incorporating the new comers. Use this addition to have yearly matchups that should NOT have been missed the first go’round. VT v Miami, Duke v GT and make FSU happy by giving them UNC or whomever. Pitt/Syracuse/BC can take a new comer each to allow for more matchups amongst the original ACC members.

Thoughts?
09-01-2023 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: 2 or 4 Rival Games or take the B1G Approch?
(09-01-2023 01:30 PM)Pitt2003 Wrote:  Now that it’s official, how does the ACC approach permanent rival/games? As we all know, with an odd number of members, the current structure of 3 permanent rivals won’t work starting next season. The question is; does the ACC go with 2 or 4 per school. Or, do they take the B1G approach and chose only those that are important to the various schools?

I don’t think 2 is enough, but I can work. As a Pitt grad/fan, I’d be happy with Syracuse and VaTech. Not happy with BC instead of VT.

I’d prefer going with 4. Keep the current matchups, and add a 4th to the current schools while incorporating the new comers. Use this addition to have yearly matchups that should NOT have been missed the first go’round. VT v Miami, Duke v GT and make FSU happy by giving them UNC or whomever. Pitt/Syracuse/BC can take a new comer each to allow for more matchups amongst the original ACC members.

Thoughts?

As much as it pains me to say it, I think the Big Ten has the best solution for football scheduling - the "Flex Plus" model. Let each team decide how many "rivals" they want to preserve - no need for everybody to be shoved into the same size box.
09-01-2023 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(09-01-2023 01:30 PM)Pitt2003 Wrote:  Now that it’s official, how does the ACC approach permanent rival/games? As we all know, with an odd number of members, the current structure of 3 permanent rivals won’t work starting next season. The question is; does the ACC go with 2 or 4 per school. Or, do they take the B1G approach and chose only those that are important to the various schools?

Thoughts?

I agree with you ... I like 4 permanent rivals, even if they are forced. Rotating through the rest of the conference 4/4/4 gives you at least some feel to being in a conference with everybody.

It will be interesting to see.

But I'm looking forward to playing these new schools. It'll be fun.

07-coffee3
09-01-2023 03:10 PM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
Personally, I like the 4-4/4/4 idea. I mentioned this in another thread recently regarding a fourth rival for Clemson, if you are going after TV ratings, adding a rival like VT or Miami might be best. If you are looking to keep the regional fans happy by adding another school that is within driving distance, UNC or Wake would be good. If you are taking requests from Dabo, perhaps he may like SMU or Miami for recruiting purposes.

The flex idea would work also, especially since you could just make the new schools be each other's rivals and then allow others to have a few additional rivals if they want. You just have to make it balance out. For Clemson, I'm good with our current three, or we could drop NC State or GT, or we could add another. They are all fine with me. The big thing is that we need to stick with 8 conference games.
09-01-2023 03:57 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(09-01-2023 03:57 PM)Schema Wrote:  Personally, I like the 4-4/4/4 idea. I mentioned this in another thread recently regarding a fourth rival for Clemson, if you are going after TV ratings, adding a rival like VT or Miami might be best. If you are looking to keep the regional fans happy by adding another school that is within driving distance, UNC or Wake would be good. If you are taking requests from Dabo, perhaps he may like SMU or Miami for recruiting purposes.

The flex idea would work also, especially since you could just make the new schools be each other's rivals and then allow others to have a few additional rivals if they want. You just have to make it balance out. For Clemson, I'm good with our current three, or we could drop NC State or GT, or we could add another. They are all fine with me. The big thing is that we need to stick with 8 conference games.

With an odd number of teams now you pretty have to stick with 8 (9 is not an option).
09-01-2023 07:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ASU
I think it will be two annual rivals and a rival you can schedule as a ninth game
09-01-2023 07:56 PM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
I would like to pay Duke, UNC and and NC State. If they give us that then pair us up with SMU, BC or Stanford for the last rival. If we don’t get any of the Carolina schools as permanent rivals then I would prefer not to have any designated rivals at all.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023 08:02 PM by WakeForestRanger.)
09-01-2023 08:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.