Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU Athletics Production
Bookmark and Share
James Madison Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
JMU Athletics Production
Didn’t see a did a dedicated thread for this and figured we could bounce ideas off each other and make suggestions to improve the production and home viewership experience. Looks like they’re acknowledging and looking to address it. I for one think they need to incorporate much more on field game audio into the mix. Right now it’s too quiet and just sounds like two guys watching the game

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2023 09:25 AM by James Madison.)
09-04-2023 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: JMU Athletics Production
(09-04-2023 09:25 AM)James Madison Wrote:  Didn’t see a did a dedicated thread for this and figured we could bounce ideas off each other and make suggestions to improve the production and home viewership experience. Looks like they’re acknowledging and looking to address it. I for one think they need to incorporate much more on field game audio into the mix. Right now it’s too quiet and just sounds like two guys watching the game

I didn’t watch Saturday’s broadcast, but this holds true for basketball as well. Atmosphere in-person isn’t generally fully portrayed on broadcasts. This is a challenging thing, though. ESPN has lots of manpower & equipment & expertise, and even they don’t get it right on their productions every time. Wanting to give benefit of the doubt that there have been conversations about this already, but the continued concessions awfulness makes me question everything.
09-04-2023 09:43 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(09-04-2023 09:25 AM)James Madison Wrote:  Didn’t see a did a dedicated thread for this and figured we could bounce ideas off each other and make suggestions to improve the production and home viewership experience. Looks like they’re acknowledging and looking to address it. I for one think they need to incorporate much more on field game audio into the mix. Right now it’s too quiet and just sounds like two guys watching the game

Agree 100% on this.

It’s especially bad for hoops games. TOO quiet
09-04-2023 09:44 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Agreed about the lack of atmosphere from the broadcasts. Curt is great, but there has to be a way to blend in SOME of the game sound as well.
09-04-2023 09:58 AM
CarRamrod Offline
1st String

We have one of the best marching bands in the country, need to showcase them on the broadcast by putting them in the sound mix.
09-04-2023 10:02 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2023 09:58 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Agreed about the lack of atmosphere from the broadcasts. Curt is great, but there has to be a way to blend in SOME of the game sound as well.

Not sure how complex it is, but I remember for the ESPN produced playoff games, they strategically placed a few mikes for crowd noise at various places. Would seem like those could be permanently mounted somewhere.

You wouldn't want them where they pick up a lot of direct conversations or drunk folks cursing, etc. Maybe take input from two-four microphones and blend them. Wouldn't seem super expensive to do this, probably need to experiment to get the levels set right. For the band, it might sound better of they could have multiple mikes to broadcast it in stereo.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2023 10:11 AM by JMURocks.)
09-04-2023 10:08 AM
Advertisement

jmu007 Offline
All American

I've asked about this before and my general understanding is that it requires some pretty expensive equipment to facilitate that just haven't been in the budget to date. (with regards to crowd noise and atmosphere). Which explains why the sound is so much better on weeks where we're on linear ESPN and they bring in their own setup.
09-04-2023 12:09 PM
CarRamrod Offline
1st String

(09-04-2023 12:09 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  I've asked about this before and my general understanding is that it requires some pretty expensive equipment to facilitate that just haven't been in the budget to date. (with regards to crowd noise and atmosphere). Which explains why the sound is so much better on weeks where we're on linear ESPN and they bring in their own setup.

Figured as much, however, feels like something that should be high on the list now that they have the new production facility online. When I listen to a game and it's loud and raucous I get serious FOMO and wish I was there.
09-04-2023 12:14 PM
bcp_jmu Online
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Hry c'mon...this has only been a challenge for....a DECADE at least

It happened with the SunBelt announcement from the AUBC....just one that stands out, but people have got to be brought in to fix this. Not locals...not students ..not internal folks - get a damn sound expert in
09-04-2023 03:37 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
Found this article on The Breeze from last week ... highlights improvements made in the broadcast areas for JMU Sports. Not posting this related to issues observed last weekend, but I found it interesting in the broad scheme of our ESPN+ productions. I have not watched any of our broadcasts this year but maybe we're still trying to figure out some new bugs.

https://www.breezejmu.org/sports/control...886bf.html
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2023 09:24 AM by Deez Nuts.)
09-05-2023 09:23 AM
Dukester Offline

(09-05-2023 09:23 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Found this article on The Breeze from last week ... highlights improvements made in the broadcast areas for JMU Sports. Not posting this related to issues observed last weekend, but I found it interesting in the broad scheme of our ESPN+ productions. I have not watched any of our broadcasts this year but maybe we're still trying to figure out some new bugs.

I tried to re-watch the first half, but it was unwatchable. I watched most of the first quarter and it was worse than I remembered. I did rewatch the third quarter.

One thing I found interesting is during the post game Cig said he gave Alonza the first two series of the 2nd half to settle himself. Not really, he called all running plays the first two series. Not saying he should not of pulled him. That was easily the worst first half of passing I've ever seen from a JMU QB. Surprised he did not make the change at half if he was not going to call any pass plays.
09-05-2023 03:04 PM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(09-05-2023 03:04 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(09-05-2023 09:23 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Found this article on The Breeze from last week ... highlights improvements made in the broadcast areas for JMU Sports. Not posting this related to issues observed last weekend, but I found it interesting in the broad scheme of our ESPN+ productions. I have not watched any of our broadcasts this year but maybe we're still trying to figure out some new bugs.

I tried to re-watch the first half, but it was unwatchable. I watched most of the first quarter and it was worse than I remembered. I did rewatch the third quarter.

One thing I found interesting is during the post game Cig said he gave Alonza the first two series of the 2nd half to settle himself. Not really, he called all running plays the first two series. Not saying he should not of pulled him. That was easily the worst first half of passing I've ever seen from a JMU QB. Surprised he did not make the change at half if he was not going to call any pass plays.

Yeah I thought that was strange too. He also mentioned that it got to where they were afraid to call a pass, so I guess maybe that realization hit them and that's when they decided to make the change. Still weird though, I would've liked to see if Alonza could settle in and make some throws after the half.
09-05-2023 03:10 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(09-05-2023 03:10 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

Yeah I thought that was strange too. He also mentioned that it got to where they were afraid to call a pass, so I guess maybe that realization hit them and that's when they decided to make the change. Still weird though, I would've liked to see if Alonza could settle in and make some throws after the half.

I heard that comment too. I thought that meant they were calling pass plays and Alonza was calling audibles out of them.
09-05-2023 03:25 PM
CarRamrod Offline
1st String

Does CC call plays? Thought it was Shanahan.

I thought the 3rd and 7 play on the first series was an RPO and AB elected to handoff despite the crowded box. It probably was at that point they decided to make a change.
09-05-2023 03:28 PM
bcp_jmu Online
Heisman

Fire Kevin Warner.....years and years of production issues
09-05-2023 03:28 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-05-2023 03:10 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

I don't think this was a "play call" issue at all. Post game it sounded to me like Cig thought AB was trigger shy and afraid to throw it. We run an OPTION offense where a ton of the decision making rests on the QB. Cig was not happy with the run-pass ratio in post game at all.

A lot of people like to criticize our play calling without realizing this is often a QB decision in our system.
09-05-2023 04:22 PM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(09-05-2023 03:28 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Fire Kevin Warner.....years and years of production issues

What? We're ramping up some new production capabilities and there were hiccups to start. They'll get them ironed out.

Kevin Warner is a credit to JMU, both as an alum and administrator.
09-05-2023 04:35 PM
bcp_jmu Online
Heisman

(09-05-2023 04:35 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(09-05-2023 03:28 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Fire Kevin Warner.....years and years of production issues

What? We're ramping up some new production capabilities and there were hiccups to start. They'll get them ironed out.

Kevin Warner is a credit to JMU, both as an alum and administrator.

I like the guy too...but who owns this decades long ongoing media problems?...Over and over ...we need to bring in more outside pros
09-05-2023 04:38 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
and here I thought we were just sarcastically firing JMU senior staffers

"decades long ongoing media problems" is pretty dramatic. We've enjoyed great broadcasts out of JMU for a lot longer than some of our former "peers". Clearly there have been growing pains recently but I think we'll be ok.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2023 10:52 PM by Deez Nuts.)
09-05-2023 10:50 PM
bcp_jmu Online
Heisman

(09-05-2023 10:50 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  and here I thought we were just sarcastically firing JMU senior staffers

"decades long ongoing media problems" is pretty dramatic. We've enjoyed great broadcasts out of JMU for a lot longer than some of our former "peers". Clearly there have been growing pains recently but I think we'll be ok.

Standards matter....we still appear smalltime
Nothing wrong with expecting crisp and near-flawless

Here's one more (there are dozens and dozens...)
"And now to Corey for an interview with Rasacati" ..2 minutes of silence ...

How do they not instantly know, cut away, fix it and reset?

Is there an actual control room watching these things and making the no-call?
09-05-2023 11:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.