Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How do the military academies deal with NIL
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
How do the military academies deal with NIL
Has that been discussed. How can they compete?

And no im not callin them frickin "service" academies so dont correct me or you shall regert it
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2023 05:36 PM by shere khan.)
09-15-2023 05:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

I Root For: #CometotheFAU
RE: How do the military academies deal with NIL
They don't.
09-15-2023 05:39 PM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(09-15-2023 05:35 PM)shere khan Wrote:  And no im not callin them frickin "service" academies so dont correct me or you shall regert it

I bet there is a story there, but I would regert it if I asked.
09-15-2023 05:42 PM
Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
They don’t, they’ll lose ground on schools with healthy collectives.
09-15-2023 09:35 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
For the most part the kids they recruit are in it for the career. Almost every time one of these schools have a good team the sum is better than the parts so those kids are not going to be in the market for big NIL money that outweighs their overall goals....

pulling that 20
09-16-2023 12:24 AM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(09-15-2023 05:42 PM)Nugget49er Wrote:  
(09-15-2023 05:35 PM)shere khan Wrote:  And no im not callin them frickin "service" academies so dont correct me or you shall regert it

I bet there is a story there, but I would regert it if I asked.

Yeah, I wasn't going to ask.
There's actually some subset of Army West Point types who get their knickers in a bunch that because of the name "there's only one Military Academy!!1!"

I use service academies because it is more precise.

To each his/her own.
09-16-2023 09:13 AM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

Back to the original question....

Do you think that the service academies suddenly are not getting recruits we previously got because of NIL?
I mean we have had a recruiting disadvantage against most of FBS for years. We are out talented on the field 9 or 10 games a year. We've specifically been at a disadvantage against the AAC the entire time we've been here and yet we are the second winningest team remaining in conference (and did okay directly against those who left).

We'll compete with a recruiting disadvantage just like we have for the last 20 years.
09-16-2023 09:16 AM
ATXUTSAGRAD Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UTSA
Yeah… I would not want a sworn, active duty member of our military being paid off by an individual or corporate entity
09-16-2023 09:17 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
They guarantee them a full time job after college, which sets them up for life.
09-16-2023 09:30 AM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2023 09:17 AM)ATXUTSAGRAD Wrote:  Yeah… I would not want a sworn, active duty member of our military being paid off by an individual or corporate entity

Just to be clear, academy student athletes CANNOT do any endorsements. It's illegal. Active duty servicemembers, even federal government employees just cannot.
NIL is zero for any and all (even USCGA!)
09-16-2023 09:35 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(09-16-2023 09:35 AM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(09-16-2023 09:17 AM)ATXUTSAGRAD Wrote:  Yeah… I would not want a sworn, active duty member of our military being paid off by an individual or corporate entity

Just to be clear, academy student athletes CANNOT do any endorsements. It's illegal. Active duty servicemembers, even federal government employees just cannot.
NIL is zero for any and all (even USCGA!)

Ive seen the academies become competitive again in my lifetime. At one point it looked hopeless academy students are actual students not gumpian illiterate mercenaries.

I fear the NIL is gonna be a settback.

Thsnks for the answer SLH
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2023 10:32 AM by shere khan.)
09-16-2023 10:32 AM
Advertisement

Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Those kids are honored to play for the service academies. No NIL necessary. It doesn't affect recruiting whatsoever. Same is true of highly 'academic' institutions. We recruit a completely different caliber of student-athlete. The priority is school. No amount of NIL money would change that.
09-16-2023 10:33 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(09-16-2023 09:30 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  They guarantee them a full time job after college, which sets them up for life.

I decent college degree does that too or at least should.
09-16-2023 10:34 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
The academies do have a little bit of an advantage where they're allowed to bring in 150-200 kids every season, rather than a recruiting class, and whittle that number down to the team size. I'm sure I butchered that explanation but I heard Tom Luginbill go into detail on it once and his explanation stuck with me.

Did they end up making exceptions for the height/weight requirements? Army looked like it had some real road graters last night, which would be a huge development for those programs.
09-16-2023 10:37 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(09-16-2023 10:33 AM)Ourland Wrote:  Those kids are honored to play for the service academies. No NIL necessary. It doesn't affect recruiting whatsoever. Same is true of highly 'academic' institutions. We recruit a completely different caliber of student-athlete. The priority is school. No amount of NIL money would change that.

Pre NIL
Sure. Star qb can play for academy or go to state u.

Go to academy

Post NIL
Star qb can play for academy or get 200,000 cash to go to state u

Guess what happens.

People forget, being a great athlete wont get you into an academy by itself.

I dunno, looks like it might ivy league the acadamies more than they are now
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2023 10:39 AM by shere khan.)
09-16-2023 10:37 AM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
(09-16-2023 09:16 AM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  Back to the original question....

Do you think that the service academies suddenly are not getting recruits we previously got because of NIL?
I mean we have had a recruiting disadvantage against most of FBS for years. We are out talented on the field 9 or 10 games a year. We've specifically been at a disadvantage against the AAC the entire time we've been here and yet we are the second winningest team remaining in conference (and did okay directly against those who left).

We'll compete with a recruiting disadvantage just like we have for the last 20 years.

That's the thing. Isn't really about the recruits that you got before.. it's about with everyone else using NIL to enhance the quality of their players, how are you going to deal with that?
09-16-2023 10:47 AM
Advertisement

AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
(09-16-2023 09:30 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  They guarantee them a full time job after college, which sets them up for life.

Eh sometimes but definitely not all.
09-16-2023 10:48 AM
Vonz90 Offline
2nd String

(09-16-2023 10:47 AM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  
(09-16-2023 09:16 AM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  Back to the original question....

That's the thing. Isn't really about the recruits that you got before.. it's about with everyone else using NIL to enhance the quality of their players, how are you going to deal with that?

I think it is the transfer portal and NIL, but more the portal. We can bring in a bunch of guys (including invited walk ons) which is a slight advantage. However, now it is much easier to entice the early bloomers away.

Not that I have am answer.

I actually think so e kind of NIl could theoretically be possible if they made it to support recruiting or USO or Navy Relief Fund or that sort of thing. It would take a change in the law though.
09-16-2023 11:12 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(09-16-2023 10:37 AM)shere khan Wrote:  
(09-16-2023 10:33 AM)Ourland Wrote:  Those kids are honored to play for the service academies. No NIL necessary. It doesn't affect recruiting whatsoever. Same is true of highly 'academic' institutions. We recruit a completely different caliber of student-athlete. The priority is school. No amount of NIL money would change that.

Pre NIL

Go to academy

Post NIL

Guess what happens.

Remember that intelligent athletes think much differently than those with lesser marbles. Kids that score 1200-1400 on the SAT, aren't going to settle for UH, Troy, or Boise State. They're looking at Northwestern, Navy, Duke and Rice. All places with little to no NIL money. Very smart kids look for academic challenges, while 'athletes' look for money, exposure, and no class time. Two very different animals.
09-16-2023 11:25 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(09-16-2023 11:25 AM)Ourland Wrote:  
(09-16-2023 10:37 AM)shere khan Wrote:  

Pre NIL

Go to academy

Post NIL

Guess what happens.

Remember that intelligent athletes think much differently than those with lesser marbles. Kids that score 1200-1400 on the SAT, aren't going to settle for UH, Troy, or Boise State. They're looking at Northwestern, Navy, Duke and Rice. All places with little to no NIL money. Very smart kids look for academic challenges, while 'athletes' look for money, exposure, and no class time. Two very different animals.

I don't fully agree with you, but I agree, it makes a difference if the kid is majoring in pre-NFL rather than pre-med or pre-law.
09-16-2023 03:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.