ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU Board Announcement
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
ODU Board Announcement
Just want to make it clear. The board is getting more antagonistic towards each other. If you disagree with someone, keep it on the topic and not the person. All personal swipes at each other will be moved to the smack board. If I miss one, let me know and I’ll clean it up.

And when you’re ready to call someone an idiot or criticize them for anything other than their opinion, try to remember that we’re all Monarchs who want the best for the University.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2023 09:25 PM by Monarchist13.)
09-15-2023 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: ODU Board Announcement
04-cheers
09-16-2023 07:07 AM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

04-cheers
09-17-2023 08:50 AM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

Is there even the remotest possibility that people who want "the best" for the university might think that decent athletic teams in publically cared about sports might help? Just a thought.
09-17-2023 04:21 PM
Chillie Willie Online
All American

(09-17-2023 04:21 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  Is there even the remotest possibility that people who want "the best" for the university might think that decent athletic teams in publically cared about sports might help? Just a thought.

Yes. Pretty much everyone on this board thinks that way. I do remember a poster who thought there was too much emphasis on sports (I think football in particular) in college. But I haven’t seen him post in quite a while.
09-17-2023 08:51 PM
bench jockey Online
1st String

(09-17-2023 04:21 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  Is there even the remotest possibility that people who want "the best" for the university might think that decent athletic teams in publically cared about sports might help? Just a thought.

You are correct. . . . There are 2 ways to look at supporting ODU athletics, which I think many people on here miss the point of. Your donations, attendance, etc., are in support of the athletes themselves, who have Nothing to do with what anyone thinks of the Admin and how they operate. Too many on here view their efforts as 'investment' and when we are not happy with the returns on the investment we pull out. There is no excuse for Saturday's crowd" Air Show, great weather, yadda yadda yadda' whatever. I know we had Recruits there Saturday. What do you think they thought looking into the stands? There also was a bball recruit on campus. Same question.
To me, the kids come first. I'm not thrilled with FB, though I think we are improved. The JJ show got old several years ago, but I'm not going anywhere.
Enough lecture.
09-18-2023 10:51 AM
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Online
Heisman

I understand the need to fund websites and the like, but I do have one request.

Can we get rid of the Stupid Target Popup ad? I can't even read an entire post without having it pop up, and I haven't been able to find a way to close it.
10-06-2023 05:48 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(10-06-2023 05:48 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  I understand the need to fund websites and the like, but I do have one request.

Can we get rid of the Stupid Target Popup ad? I can't even read an entire post without having it pop up, and I haven't been able to find a way to close it.

CVS for me and I also have not been able to block it popping up. If there is a way to block it please tell us.
10-06-2023 07:48 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I've been Ad-Free Premium on this site for almost a decade. I renew every August via PayPal and I've been delightfully immune to ad-related issues here. Worth the $15 IMO.

The Ad-Free Premium page in the Info/Support tab is a bit slow to update, but generally easy to use. GTS is a busy man but should respond to inquiries.
10-06-2023 08:34 PM
ODUBB35 Online
Heisman

The damn Mayo Clinic AD is making this board pretty much unusable. Seriously, I open the board, and the ad appears within 2 seconds with no apparent way to close it.
10-28-2023 09:09 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(10-28-2023 09:09 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  The damn Mayo Clinic AD is making this board pretty much unusable. Seriously, I open the board, and the ad appears within 2 seconds with no apparent way to close it.

It’s super Annoying. Refresh the screen seems to get rid of it Temporarily
10-28-2023 09:54 PM
Advertisement

bluelight Offline
1st String

(09-15-2023 09:22 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  Just want to make it clear. The board is getting more antagonistic towards each other. If you disagree with someone, keep it on the topic and not the person. All personal swipes at each other will be moved to the smack board. If I miss one, let me know and I’ll clean it up.

And when you’re ready to call someone an idiot or criticize them for anything other than their opinion, try to remember that we’re all Monarchs who want the best for the University.

Thank You!
10-28-2023 10:00 PM
beenjamminmore Online
2nd String

(10-28-2023 09:54 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(10-28-2023 09:09 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  The damn Mayo Clinic AD is making this board pretty much unusable. Seriously, I open the board, and the ad appears within 2 seconds with no apparent way to close it.

It’s super Annoying. Refresh the screen seems to get rid of it Temporarily

I get one for Purdy paint brushes. It has a tiny (size of a pencil point) close "x". You cannot enlarge the image to make the "x" big enough to work. Very tenacious, and frustrating.
10-28-2023 10:50 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(09-18-2023 10:51 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  

You are correct. . . . There are 2 ways to look at supporting ODU athletics, which I think many people on here miss the point of. Your donations, attendance, etc., are in support of the athletes themselves, who have Nothing to do with what anyone thinks of the Admin and how they operate. Too many on here view their efforts as 'investment' and when we are not happy with the returns on the investment we pull out. There is no excuse for Saturday's crowd" Air Show, great weather, yadda yadda yadda' whatever. I know we had Recruits there Saturday. What do you think they thought looking into the stands? There also was a bball recruit on campus. Same question.
To me, the kids come first. I'm not thrilled with FB, though I think we are improved. The JJ show got old several years ago, but I'm not going anywhere.
Enough lecture.
JJ’S coaching got over several years ago. Still Wood got a healthy pay raise, on his good work. I don’t think the man knows when to change coaches. JJ & BW had almost careers, here. While Bobby finally was let go, JJ will retire at ODU.
11-01-2023 05:27 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(11-01-2023 05:27 PM)bluelight Wrote:  

Enough lecture.
JJ’S coaching got over several years ago. Still Wood got a healthy pay raise, on his good work. I don’t think the man knows when to change coaches. JJ & BW had almost careers, here. While Bobby finally was let go, JJ will retire at ODU.

As has been pointed out before, Wood Selig does not operate in a vacuum
I don't know any details of the situation with JJ, but I am familiar with that of BW.
WS wanted to let go of BW almost 2 years prior to the actual termination. He was overruled by Broderick, the BOV, and allegedly ODAF as well.

Major hires and terminations in the AD are subject to influence from:
the Office of the President, Office of Budget & Planning, Department of Human Resources, the Board Of Visitors, and ODAF.

04-cheers

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2023 09:00 PM by ODUalum78.)
11-01-2023 08:59 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(11-01-2023 08:59 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Enough lecture.

I don't know any details of the situation with JJ, but I am familiar with that of BW.
WS wanted to let go of BW almost 2 years prior to the actual termination. He was overruled by Broderick, the BOV, and allegedly ODAF as well.

the Office of the President, Office of Budget & Planning, Department of Human Resources, the Board Of Visitors, and ODAF.

04-cheers

In regards to the last statement, it makes me think sports are not as important to ODU, like Liberty & JMU. Realistically, education comes first but schools also look to sports to make money. If donations are doing well, why are they giving a free football ticket if you buy one.
11-02-2023 11:06 AM
Advertisement

bench jockey Online
1st String

(11-02-2023 11:06 AM)bluelight Wrote:  

Enough lecture.

04-cheers

In regards to the last statement, it makes me think sports are not as important to ODU, like Liberty & JMU. Realistically, education comes first but schools also look to sports to make money. If donations are doing well, why are they giving a free football ticket if you buy one.

I'm part of a group that funds an athletic scholarship, meaning we have contributed more than $50,000 to ODAF. But I don't buy MBB season tickets. One has nothing to do with the otjher, art least for me.
11-02-2023 01:39 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(11-02-2023 01:39 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  
(09-18-2023 10:51 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  You are correct. . . . There are 2 ways to look at supporting ODU athletics, which I think many people on here miss the point of. Your donations, attendance, etc., are in support of the athletes themselves, who have Nothing to do with what anyone thinks of the Admin and how they operate. Too many on here view their efforts as 'investment' and when we are not happy with the returns on the investment we pull out. There is no excuse for Saturday's crowd" Air Show, great weather, yadda yadda yadda' whatever. I know we had Recruits there Saturday. What do you think they thought looking into the stands? There also was a bball recruit on campus. Same question.
Enough lecture.

04-cheers

I'm part of a group that funds an athletic scholarship, meaning we have contributed more than $50,000 to ODAF. But I don't buy MBB season tickets. One has nothing to do with the otjher, art least for me.
It is very kind of you to give that kinda $ to ODU athletics. Most average people could not afford that amount. In other words, you are helping ODU to limit the amount they would have to pay. Now some how they find $ for high paid new hires and administrators pay raises.
11-02-2023 05:16 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(11-02-2023 05:16 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(11-02-2023 01:39 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  
(11-01-2023 05:27 PM)bluelight Wrote:  JJ’S coaching got over several years ago. Still Wood got a healthy pay raise, on his good work. I don’t think the man knows when to change coaches. JJ & BW had almost careers, here. While Bobby finally was let go, JJ will retire at ODU.

04-cheers

It is very kind of you to give that kinda $ to ODU athletics. Most average people could not afford that amount. In other words, you are helping ODU to limit the amount they would have to pay. Now some how they find $ for high paid new hires and administrators pay raises.

This is a question for Adm13 & staff. As I see now, I am the only one writing posts, that have a warning label. Does that mean that there are other posters that have a warning label, have the capability to post but don’t post anymore? If yes, does any have zero % but still you are committed ( by your laws) to always show the warning label? I have written you two emails explaining my curiosity only. If you think I am a racist, then when Button Speakes started playing for ODU, I would have stopped donating and paying ODAF for season tickets, for all of these past years. Sometimes, people like me don’t go back and proofread and could look different then what you really are posting. Yes I see other post mistakes but I overlook them. Now trying to explain, seems to get nowhere, my time, diehard interest,money meant nothing. You keep talking two sides. 1. You can post negative comments & 2. Please only say positive posts, or cut your post down. Now if next year with new recruits,transfer portal & players coming back then my posts will be much better. Right now we have the worst basketball team in the sunbelt (14 teams) most with lousy attendance and a losing football team with a constant losing record. It was a winner when we started, but we were not in a league and played D2 and below teams. Those days were sellouts. Today on the money spent and probably still own, we may have the stadium half full and after halftime it gets many people leaving. I do watch and it looks bad for the university. I will try and limit my negativity but having seen the difference both in basketball & football it will be hard. I look forward to better days but I wish Wood could have gone in the A10, if he had a chance. More attractive teams and as seen in Richmond, overflowing attendance. Please answer my questions and take the warning label off, as it is very embarrassing to be the only one that could be banned for a human mistake. In other words you and your staff never make mistakes in life. I wait for your comment on this thread. TX
02-11-2024 03:14 PM
mac Offline
All American

Enough lecture.

If we are getting a new coach, why are the bringing in recruits for a visit? Did they not get the word? Is Jones coming back? What the heck.
02-11-2024 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.