Does Clemson Have A Way Out?
LaBradfordsTWill Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Does Clemson Have A Way Out?
Article says we need to stay tuned.
https://saturdayroad.com/clemson-tigers/...eport/amp/
09-27-2023 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
RE: Does Clemson Have A Way Out?
There's nowhere to go. The Big 10 isn't a predator and expansion makes the SEC sad.
09-27-2023 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
Clemson and FSU (and likely others) will be in the SEC within 3-5 years
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2023 01:05 PM by unalions.)
09-27-2023 01:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
everyone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
This seems to be a critical time for the SEC...if the B1G gets FSU, Clemson and eventually Notre Dame....DANG.
09-27-2023 01:20 PM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(09-27-2023 01:20 PM)everyone Wrote:  This seems to be a critical time for the SEC...if the B1G gets FSU, Clemson and eventually Notre Dame....DANG.

Notre Dame is a huge brand, but also a "whatever" for the SEC. I don't see the SEC specifically seeking them out.

UNC and UVA would be schools that aren't in the direct footprint but who are of equal interest to the B1G and SEC.

The SEC would be wise to lock up FSU and Clemson. When considering the SEC's direct footprint, I think those two schools are the greatest "threat" the B1G could pull.

Outside of those two schools, I can't really seen any other programs that would provide a strong draw for the B1G down south. I think you could have some type of synergistic play with Georgia Tech and Miami but I don't think there is enough juice there if Oregon and Washington were struggling for admittance and certainly not when considering other viable options like UVA and UNC.
09-27-2023 01:25 PM
everyone Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
(09-27-2023 12:55 PM)Chappy Wrote:  There's nowhere to go. The Big 10 isn't a predator and expansion makes the SEC sad.

The big brands always have somewhere to go. Swifty can get any football player she wants.
09-27-2023 01:39 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
For whatever it’s worth

09-27-2023 01:40 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-27-2023 01:40 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  For whatever it’s worth

Just a thought, could WSU/OSU be dragging things out waiting to see what happens with the ACC?

Doubt it, but they could be hearing rumors. Oliver Luck is as connected as anybody and he is consulting with them.
09-27-2023 01:50 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(09-27-2023 01:39 PM)everyone Wrote:  
(09-27-2023 12:55 PM)Chappy Wrote:  There's nowhere to go. The Big 10 isn't a predator and expansion makes the SEC sad.

The big brands always have somewhere to go. Swifty can get any football player she wants.

As Belichick said the other day, she would be the best catch Kielce has ever made.

SDS is like the Mhver of the South. Not always wrong, but they’re willing to throw some stuff against the wall and see what sticks. With B1G money the same as the ACC at best for former ACC schools until 2030, and serious doubt as to whether they even want Clemson or FSU, I just don’t see a Sankey feeling a particular sense of urgency. However, even if they work that out and manage to successfully play the B1G against the SEC, what are they gonna do about that pesky GoR? It would be well nigh impossible to negotiate their way out of it in such a way that it would make more financial sense to move now rather than in 2030-2034, and if the financials are taken out of the equation, then FSU and Clemson are better off in the ACC.

Taking the above into account, is there any incentive for Clemson, FSU and UNC to makes noises about leaving “soon”? Why, yes, there is! They will keep going back to this well and keep pushing for more and more uneven revenue sharing until the other schools refuse to give anymore.

One thing articles like this reinforce is that the Big 12 is a whole lot better place to be for most schools than the ACC is right now.
09-27-2023 01:52 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S

Ironclad (adjective): Impossible to contradict, weaken, or change
09-27-2023 01:55 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
(09-27-2023 01:20 PM)everyone Wrote:  This seems to be a critical time for the SEC...if the B1G gets FSU, Clemson and eventually Notre Dame....DANG.

The SEC will next have Florida St., Clemson, North Carolina, Va. Tech, Kansas and Colorado.

The BIG will have Virginia, Duke, Miami, Stanford, Cal and Notre Dame. Yes, Notre Dame will hold out to the end, but see the writing on the wall, and will finally relent and join.

These two will be the super conferences. The Big 12 and ACC will be the middle men “power conferences,” and below them will be the Sunbelt and MAC.
09-27-2023 02:01 PM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Clemson is a great school and a has a great fanbase, but Clemson at 6-6 in 2036 several years removed from their current run has a very different value than the Clemson of the past few years. This is of course true of most schools, but in the SEC Clemson would be a second school in a small state. They definitely don't have the market, and I guess I wonder if they have a strong enough brand at this point to get over a downturn? (Honest question)

If so, then could the SEC grab say FSU and UNC and be done? Or perhaps FSU, Miami, UNC and ? (UVA or Virginia Tech?)
09-27-2023 02:06 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Still trying to figure out how any of this is good for fans and athletes.
09-27-2023 02:08 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(09-27-2023 02:06 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Clemson is a great school and a has a great fanbase, but Clemson at 6-6 in 2036 several years removed from their current run has a very different value than the Clemson of the past few years. This is of course true of most schools, but in the SEC Clemson would be a second school in a small state. They definitely don't have the market, and I guess I wonder if they have a strong enough brand at this point to get over a downturn? (Honest question)

If so, then could the SEC grab say FSU and UNC and be done? Or perhaps FSU, Miami, UNC and ? (UVA or Virginia Tech?)

Clemson is the equivalent of Tennessee or Auburn. They did have an MNC before Dabo. They were big rivals with UGA before the SEC moved to 8 games with the expansion to 12.

I'm guessing its a lot of younger people who don't see their value. Its like evaluating Texas on 2010-2022 or Alabama in the 10 years before Nick Saban or Tennessee post Phil Fulmer.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2023 02:17 PM by bullet.)
09-27-2023 02:14 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
(09-27-2023 02:06 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Clemson is a great school and a has a great fanbase,….. but in the SEC Clemson would be a second school in a small state.

Maybe I am misreading this, and maybe I am just ignorant of the fanbase in SC. But in my experience, I have met more Clemson fans than South Carolina fans. It seems that the Tigers are the #1 school in SC and the Gamecocks are #2 in popularity. Like I said though, I could be completely off base.

Or maybe you were just saying SC is too small to have two schools in the SEC.
09-27-2023 02:21 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Why did they vote “no” to expand if they are already leaving?

Good to see Ironclad Pete back. I was getting worried.
09-27-2023 02:22 PM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

(09-27-2023 02:21 PM)army56mike Wrote:  
(09-27-2023 02:06 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Clemson is a great school and a has a great fanbase,….. but in the SEC Clemson would be a second school in a small state.

Maybe I am misreading this, and maybe I am just ignorant of the fanbase in SC. But in my experience, I have met more Clemson fans than South Carolina fans. It seems that the Tigers are the #1 school in SC and the Gamecocks are #2 in popularity. Like I said though, I could be completely off base.

Or maybe you were just saying SC is too small to have two schools in the SEC.

The latter (SC being a small state, disregarding which school is 1 vs 2)
09-27-2023 02:29 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

(09-27-2023 02:14 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(09-27-2023 02:06 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Clemson is a great school and a has a great fanbase, but Clemson at 6-6 in 2036 several years removed from their current run has a very different value than the Clemson of the past few years. This is of course true of most schools, but in the SEC Clemson would be a second school in a small state. They definitely don't have the market, and I guess I wonder if they have a strong enough brand at this point to get over a downturn? (Honest question)

Clemson is the equivalent of Tennessee or Auburn. They did have an MNC before Dabo. They were big rivals with UGA before the SEC moved to 8 games with the expansion to 12.

I'm guessing its a lot of younger people who don't see their value. Its like evaluating Texas on 2010-2022 or Alabama in the 10 years before Nick Saban or Tennessee post Phil Fulmer.

As a TN post-Fulmer fan, that seems like a fair evaluation. But I guess what I am saying is with limited spots especially at only 20, UNC, Miami, and FSU could be the first three, and then Clemson has to hope that being Auburn or TN is good enough versus another new state in say VT or doubling down in North Carolina, etc. TN and Auburn are great brands, but if you have a chance to take TN or Alabama, you are taking Bama. Don't know who the Bama could be a decade from now.
09-27-2023 02:33 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(09-27-2023 02:33 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(09-27-2023 02:14 PM)bullet Wrote:  

As a TN post-Fulmer fan, that seems like a fair evaluation. But I guess what I am saying is with limited spots especially at only 20, UNC, Miami, and FSU could be the first three, and then Clemson has to hope that being Auburn or TN is good enough versus another new state in say VT or doubling down in North Carolina, etc. TN and Auburn are great brands, but if you have a chance to take TN or Alabama, you are taking Bama. Don't know who the Bama could be a decade from now.

Oregon is a small state, but they got the Big 10 bid, not Stanford, Cal, Arizona, Arizona St. or Colorado. And Clemson has a better brand than Oregon. Clemson has actually won and not just finished 2nd.
09-27-2023 02:43 PM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Retired
This is perfect timing for Clemson to be on the downswing. But still a hot commodity. “We better strike now”
09-27-2023 02:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.