Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sankey verbalizing contraction (Ross Dellenger article)
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Sankey verbalizing contraction (Ross Dellenger article)
https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-greg-sankey...J52YG7J1kv

From the article:

"In a few months, the Big Ten and SEC’s relationship has turned from frosty to warm, sparked by the leadership change from Kevin Warren to Petitti in the spring. What the future holds is somewhat unclear, but both Sankey and Petitti have expressed an intent to both accelerate NCAA governance and condense the amount of schools operating under a single umbrella.

How do you take larger groups and make them smaller to drive forward?” Petitti asks.

Over the course of Saturday’s parade across Texas, Sankey speaks candidly and suggestively about this growing topic in college athletics: the long-discussed Power Four or FBS split from the NCAA.

Is it a solution for some of the legal entanglements? Maybe. Will it cause other issues? Probably.

But Sankey is reaching the point of exhaustion in the NCAA’s governance model, where the more than 350 programs legislate together despite drastically different missions and resources.

A member of the NCAA Division I Council, Sankey just returned from two days worth of council meetings last week in Indianapolis and he is “questioning the value of it,” he says. Non-football playing and FCS members have “too much influence” on certain rule-making committees, he says. Small-school votes continue preventing rule changes that his conference can afford."

Wow.
10-12-2023 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shizzle787 Offline
1st String

RE: Sankey verbalizing contraction (Ross Dellenger article)
Breaking this up into two posts. This smells like a new division. In the article, Sankey does mention he does like March Madness, and I do believe there will be SIGNIFICANT political pushback if it is just a P4 or P4 + Big East division. I think compromises will be made and something like the following will happen: Enter the NCAA's new Premier Division (to be placed on top of Division 1). Including prospective moves, the new division contains 191 schools (including 31 non-football schools).

Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (18)
Big 12 (16) 17 if Gonzaga joins
Big East (11)
MW/Pac-12 (14) I assume Hawaii would make travel subsidy payments to join in all sports
AAC (15) I assume Army and Navy will bite the bullet to become all-sports members to stay in the top flight
A-10 (15) 16 if Charleston joins
WCC (9) 10 if Gonzaga leaves and two of Seattle, GCU, or Cal Baptist join
MVC (12)
Sun Belt (14)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)

Men's and women's basketball players and football players will be paid at least minimum wage. Schools will have the option to pay hockey, baseball, or softball players.

The NCAA tournament will reduce to 64 schools.
2 auto bids per league (regular season and tournament champ or top-2 regular season if regular season champ = tournament champ)
36 at-large bids

Football:
Premier Division A (111 schools)
Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (17)
Big 12 (16)
Notre Dame
UConn
AAC (14) including Army
MW/Pac-12 (14)
Sun Belt (14)

Premier Division B (49 schools)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)
UMass
Villanova
Butler
Georgetown
Valpo
Missouri State
Murray State
Southern Illinois
UNI
Indiana State
Illinois State
Drake
San Diego
Davidson
Dayton
Duquesne
Fordham
Richmond
Rhode Island
10-12-2023 08:10 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Quote:Having a subsection of programs governing themselves does not require small-league programs losing their golden goose: the automatic qualifying spot in the NCAA basketball tournaments.

“There is something healthy about March and non-conference scheduling in college football,” he says. “The breadth has meaning. But we have to look at the governance structure. Is this the best way to do it, to put Fordham and Florida in the same room to discuss issues?”
10-12-2023 08:28 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 08:28 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
Quote:Having a subsection of programs governing themselves does not require small-league programs losing their golden goose: the automatic qualifying spot in the NCAA basketball tournaments.

“There is something healthy about March and non-conference scheduling in college football,” he says. “The breadth has meaning. But we have to look at the governance structure. Is this the best way to do it, to put Fordham and Florida in the same room to discuss issues?”

I saw that. I still think the A-10 will make the cut ultimately. IMO every FBS league, the Ivy League, and the multi-bid basketball leagues are the NCAA. Every body else for the most part is fluff.
10-12-2023 08:31 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(10-12-2023 08:31 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  

I saw that. I still think the A-10 will make the cut ultimately. IMO every FBS league, the Ivy League, and the multi-bid basketball leagues are the NCAA. Every body else for the most part is fluff.

Based on his quote, I'm nearly 100% in agreeance of who he'd bring with. The G5 for football scheduling, the Big East for obvious reasons, and the A10/MVC/WCC to help fill out the Cinderella spots for March Madness. Whether he'd want to go beyond those 13 conferences is anyone's guess. I don't think you'd a scenario where the cut-off is, say, 25 conferences leaving the HBCUs right below the cut line. It'll be somewhere in the 13-20 range.
10-12-2023 08:35 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 08:35 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

Based on his quote, I'm nearly 100% in agreeance of who he'd bring with. The G5 for football scheduling, the Big East for obvious reasons, and the A10/MVC/WCC to help fill out the Cinderella spots for March Madness. Whether he'd want to go beyond those 13 conferences is anyone's guess. I don't think you'd a scenario where the cut-off is, say, 25 conferences leaving the HBCUs right below the cut line. It'll be somewhere in the 13-20 range.

I think for branding reasons the Ivy would have an open invite. Whether they take it or not (I think they would) is up for debate.
10-12-2023 08:37 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

I don’t think Sankey is quite saying that any particular conferences will get cut from the NCAA Tournament (although the SEC and Big Ten will surely make that threat for leverage).

I think it ultimately comes down to this: the autonomous conferences should *truly* be autonomous on a much broader scope. For instance, if the P4 want to offer scholarships for every single roster spot in every single sport, then the smaller schools shouldn’t get in the way. (I agree with Sankey 100% on that issue.) The P4 will still play non-conference football games and hold the CFP and maybe even keep the NCAA Tournament format as-is, but in exchange the P4 should either (a) totally govern themselves in an autonomous manner on ALL issues (not just the subset of issues now) and/or (b) have 80%-plus of the vote and revenue sharing on NCAA matters in the same way that they do for the CFP. The days of the power leagues having no more governing and revenue power than the other 28 Division I basketball conferences are going to need to be over or else those power leagues will leave entirely.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 08:43 AM by Frank the Tank.)
10-12-2023 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(10-12-2023 08:10 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Breaking this up into two posts. This smells like a new division. In the article, Sankey does mention he does like March Madness, and I do believe there will be SIGNIFICANT political pushback if it is just a P4 or P4 + Big East division. I think compromises will be made and something like the following will happen: Enter the NCAA's new Premier Division (to be placed on top of Division 1). Including prospective moves, the new division contains 191 schools (including 31 non-football schools).

Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (18)
Big East (11)
MW/Pac-12 (14) I assume Hawaii would make travel subsidy payments to join in all sports
AAC (15) I assume Army and Navy will bite the bullet to become all-sports members to stay in the top flight
MVC (12)
Sun Belt (14)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)

Men's and women's basketball players and football players will be paid at least minimum wage. Schools will have the option to pay hockey, baseball, or softball players.

2 auto bids per league (regular season and tournament champ or top-2 regular season if regular season champ = tournament champ)
36 at-large bids

Football:
Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (17)
Big 12 (16)
Notre Dame
UConn
AAC (14) including Army
MW/Pac-12 (14)
Sun Belt (14)

MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)
UMass
Villanova
Butler
Georgetown
Valpo
Missouri State
Murray State
Southern Illinois
UNI
Indiana State
Illinois State
Drake
San Diego
Davidson
Dayton
Duquesne
Fordham
Richmond
Rhode Island

Warren was terrible, so this is unsurprising. Looks like B10 and SEC are finally getting it. There should be arond 80 football schools in top level and for me I think the best cutoff is multi-bid leagues in basketball. So the A-10 which is historically multi-bid would really need to figure things out as it keeps expanding while at the same time it's losing bids.
10-12-2023 08:58 AM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor

If you bring that many then you are already missing the purposes of culling the ranks of D1. I think it will be a smaller number.

P4 + MWC/AAC and the Big East (assuming it doesn't get blown up and divided between the conferences). I'm imagining the larger jewels that don't fall into those groups will be absorbed in some way. Schools like Gonzaga and VCU might find homes in the MWC and AAC.

That group covers all states with a D1 FBS presence and markets of relevance. The only states without a school would be the same as they are now: Alaska, Delaware, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Vermont.

I expect the first changes will be ensuring a larger unit percentage going back to NCAA tourney appearances and winners. This will leave less money for other NCAA championship and tournament ventures, but that is the first and most direct redirection of revenue that can occur.
10-12-2023 09:09 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 09:09 AM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  

If you bring that many then you are already missing the purposes of culling the ranks of D1. I think it will be a smaller number.

P4 + MWC/AAC and the Big East (assuming it doesn't get blown up and divided between the conferences). I'm imagining the larger jewels that don't fall into those groups will be absorbed in some way. Schools like Gonzaga and VCU might find homes in the MWC and AAC.

That group covers all states with a D1 FBS presence and markets of relevance. The only states without a school would be the same as they are now: Alaska, Delaware, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Vermont.

I expect the first changes will be ensuring a larger unit percentage going back to NCAA tourney appearances and winners. This will leave less money for other NCAA championship and tournament ventures, but that is the first and most direct redirection of revenue that can occur.
The NCAA tournament is a massive money maker and even more important than the CFP to the major schools. The format (at least 64 schools) needs to be maintained and there needs to be 12-16 Cinderellas to keep max audiences.
10-12-2023 09:12 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(10-12-2023 08:42 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I think it ultimately comes down to this: the autonomous conferences should *truly* be autonomous on a much broader scope. For instance, if the P4 want to offer scholarships for every single roster spot in every single sport, then the smaller schools shouldn’t get in the way. (I agree with Sankey 100% on that issue.) The P4 will still play non-conference football games and hold the CFP and maybe even keep the NCAA Tournament format as-is, but in exchange the P4 should either (a) totally govern themselves in an autonomous manner on ALL issues (not just the subset of issues now) and/or (b) have 80%-plus of the vote and revenue sharing on NCAA matters in the same way that they do for the CFP. The days of the power leagues having no more governing and revenue power than the other 28 Division I basketball conferences are going to need to be over or else those power leagues will leave entirely.

That seems like a pretty fair compromise. I think the biggest pushback you will get on is potentially cutting the money the smaller conferences get. Right now most smaller conferences get 1 share they split between all their schools. I think it would be important to maintain something like that. CFP has something similar with the G5 getting a pool of money they split based upon success. That would probably work and incentivize conferences to do better in basketball.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 09:14 AM by solohawks.)
10-12-2023 09:13 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-12-2023 09:12 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  

The NCAA tournament is a massive money maker and even more important than the CFP to the major schools. The format (at least 64 schools) needs to be maintained and there needs to be 12-16 Cinderellas to keep max audiences.

Cinderellas can be a North Carolina State.

64 is important for the betting pools.

I think they are going to try to create a Division 0 with ramped up spending requirements that 100 or so schools can't meet.

There are roughly 360 in Division I, 300 in Division II and 440 in Division III. Division III is non-scholarship so even though its large, it doesn't make sense to be split up. But Division 0 could be 250 and Division I and II could each be roughly 200.
10-12-2023 09:21 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 09:21 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-12-2023 09:12 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  
(10-12-2023 08:31 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  I saw that. I still think the A-10 will make the cut ultimately. IMO every FBS league, the Ivy League, and the multi-bid basketball leagues are the NCAA. Every body else for the most part is fluff.

Cinderellas can be a North Carolina State.

64 is important for the betting pools.

I think they are going to try to create a Division 0 with ramped up spending requirements that 100 or so schools can't meet.

There are roughly 360 in Division I, 300 in Division II and 440 in Division III. Division III is non-scholarship so even though its large, it doesn't make sense to be split up. But Division 0 could be 250 and Division I and II could each be roughly 200.

250 schools works but I don't think Sankey and Petiti even want or need that many. 180-200 would work just fine.
10-12-2023 09:23 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

The reason why I chose those 14 leagues is because

A) It is an easy cutoff (all the FBS leagues, multi-bid leagues, and Ivy League)
B) It allows the NCAA to continue to have at least a 64-team tournament
C) It keeps every school of value
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 09:32 AM by shizzle787.)
10-12-2023 09:30 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(10-12-2023 08:10 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Breaking this up into two posts. This smells like a new division. In the article, Sankey does mention he does like March Madness, and I do believe there will be SIGNIFICANT political pushback if it is just a P4 or P4 + Big East division. I think compromises will be made and something like the following will happen: Enter the NCAA's new Premier Division (to be placed on top of Division 1). Including prospective moves, the new division contains 191 schools (including 31 non-football schools).

Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (18)
Big East (11)
MVC (12)
Sun Belt (14)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)

36 at-large bids

Football:
Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (17)
Big 12 (16)
Notre Dame
UConn
AAC (14) including Army
MW/Pac-12 (14)
Sun Belt (14)

MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)
UMass
Villanova
Butler
Georgetown
Valpo
Missouri State
Murray State
Southern Illinois
UNI
Indiana State
Illinois State
Drake
San Diego
Davidson
Dayton
Duquesne
Fordham
Richmond
Rhode Island

You have the Missouri Valley Conference in the Premier Division, but you don't have all of their football playing schools in Division B (omitting schools like North Dakota St and South Dakota St). If you include the entire MVC, and combine the football playing schools of the A10 and Big East into a single football conference, you have five conferences, none larger than 12 members, in Division B. San Diego, the only football school in the WCC becomes an orphan unless they join the WAC for FB only.

By my count, that puts 53 schools in Premier B (unless UConn wants to stay independent in Premier A).
10-12-2023 09:36 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 09:36 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (18)
Big East (11)
MVC (12)
Sun Belt (14)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)

36 at-large bids

Football:
Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (17)
Big 12 (16)
Notre Dame
UConn
AAC (14) including Army
MW/Pac-12 (14)
Sun Belt (14)

MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)
UMass
Villanova
Butler
Georgetown
Valpo
Missouri State
Murray State
Southern Illinois
UNI
Indiana State
Illinois State
Drake
San Diego
Davidson
Dayton
Duquesne
Fordham
Richmond
Rhode Island

You have the Missouri Valley Conference in the Premier Division, but you don't have all of their football playing schools in Division B (omitting schools like North Dakota St and South Dakota St). If you include the entire MVC, and combine the football playing schools of the A10 and Big East into a single football conference, you have five conferences, none larger than 12 members, in Division B. San Diego, the only football school in the WCC becomes an orphan unless they join the WAC for FB only.

By my count, that puts 53 schools in Premier B (unless UConn wants to stay independent in Premier A).

Basketball determines which Division (Premier, 1, 2, or 3) you play in. That being said, I would not be stunned if the MVC invited SDSU and NDSU for all sports if something like this went down.
10-12-2023 09:39 AM
Advertisement

NDSUguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NDSU
(10-12-2023 09:39 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  

Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (18)
Big East (11)
MVC (12)
Sun Belt (14)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)

36 at-large bids

Football:
Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (17)
Big 12 (16)
Notre Dame
UConn
AAC (14) including Army
MW/Pac-12 (14)
Sun Belt (14)

MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)
UMass
Villanova
Butler
Georgetown
Valpo
Missouri State
Murray State
Southern Illinois
UNI
Indiana State
Illinois State
Drake
San Diego
Davidson
Dayton
Duquesne
Fordham
Richmond
Rhode Island

Basketball determines which Division (Premier, 1, 2, or 3) you play in. That being said, I would not be stunned if the MVC invited SDSU and NDSU for all sports if something like this went down.

I like this in concept however I think that having basketball being the vehicle to drive this is backwards. It needs to be football first and then basketball.

In the proposed approach, the Premier B football division combines current FBS schools with FCS (both scholarship and non-scholarship). Those schools that do not currently offer scholarship football aren't going to all of a sudden start offering them. The schools that offer scholarships aren't going to suddenly cap them in favor of a smaller number (or remove entirely).
10-12-2023 09:52 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 09:52 AM)NDSUguy Wrote:  
(10-12-2023 09:39 AM)shizzle787 Wrote:  

Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (18)
Big East (11)
MVC (12)
Sun Belt (14)
MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)

36 at-large bids

Football:
Big 10 (18)
SEC (16)
ACC (17)
Big 12 (16)
Notre Dame
UConn
AAC (14) including Army
MW/Pac-12 (14)
Sun Belt (14)

MAC (12)
CUSA (10)
Ivy (8)
UMass
Villanova
Butler
Georgetown
Valpo
Missouri State
Murray State
Southern Illinois
UNI
Indiana State
Illinois State
Drake
San Diego
Davidson
Dayton
Duquesne
Fordham
Richmond
Rhode Island

I like this in concept however I think that having basketball being the vehicle to drive this is backwards. It needs to be football first and then basketball.

In the proposed approach, the Premier B football division combines current FBS schools with FCS (both scholarship and non-scholarship). Those schools that do not currently offer scholarship football aren't going to all of a sudden start offering them. The schools that offer scholarships aren't going to suddenly cap them in favor of a smaller number (or remove entirely).

I think a couple of the non-scholarship schools will drop the sport if push comes to shove. Duquesne comes to mind. Also, schools will likely have to pay m/w basketball and football players a minimum wage going forward so that will cull the FCS/Premier Division B herd a little. The scholarship limit would maybe be 75-80 as compromise to the FBS schools dropping down and the FCS schools left.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 09:59 AM by shizzle787.)
10-12-2023 09:56 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
SPLIT OFF FOOTBALL

It’s not rocket science or even regular science. Even Chip Kelly was into something.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 09:59 AM by esayem.)
10-12-2023 09:57 AM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

(10-12-2023 09:57 AM)esayem Wrote:  SPLIT OFF FOOTBALL

It’s not rocket science or even regular science. Even Chip Kelly was into something.

The major conferences don't want an official football split from the NCAA. Legal liability is a huge reason why.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2023 10:01 AM by shizzle787.)
10-12-2023 10:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.