Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten Big Three Breakaway - Who Gets To Come Along?
Bookmark and Share
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Exclamation Big Ten Big Three Breakaway - Who Gets To Come Along?
I read the Ross Dellinger article about Oregon/Washington getting into the Big Ten and how the Big Three were all on record as to being against it initially. Could more expansion or more shifting of power towards the Pacific schools cause a split in the conference and the Big Three wanting to escape? We've seen the Big 12, MWC, and the Big East split, if the Big Three aren't happy with the Western schools, why stick around?

But the Big Three have to form a conference and we learned from the Catholic 7 that you need a certain # of schools (I guess it's 7) to "take the name" with you. If the Big Three leave by themselves, the rest of the conference gets to keep the Big Ten name and that's pretty valuable. If Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State leave and want to stay in the "Big Ten" but want to shed the "western crap", they have to convince other schools to come along for the ride.

So who gets to come along? Michigan State is obvious, if Michigan leaves, MSU comes with them.

If I'm starting the thread, Illinois is in. Hey, OSU wants Illibuck and the Big Three wants Chicago (don't give me Northwestern, they're a private school).

I'd say if you have Illinois you have to have Indiana, you can't have a "Big Ten" without them and Indianapolis. Would you need Purdue? I don't think they're required.

I think Wisconsin is a good add, they're good in both football and men's basketball, and they bring in a fairly populous state.

So that gives us seven schools: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin. I mean if we can get Notre Dame they're definitely in. Otherwise, any 1-3 additional schools work. Could Penn State get Pittsburgh in or would they prefer Pittsburgh stay out?
10-14-2023 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
RE: Big Ten Big Three Breakaway - Who Gets To Come Along?
(10-14-2023 02:07 PM)schmolik Wrote:  I read the Ross Dellinger article about Oregon/Washington getting into the Big Ten and how the Big Three were all on record as to being against it initially. Could more expansion or more shifting of power towards the Pacific schools cause a split in the conference and the Big Three wanting to escape? We've seen the Big 12, MWC, and the Big East split, if the Big Three aren't happy with the Western schools, why stick around?

But the Big Three have to form a conference and we learned from the Catholic 7 that you need a certain # of schools (I guess it's 7) to "take the name" with you. If the Big Three leave by themselves, the rest of the conference gets to keep the Big Ten name and that's pretty valuable. If Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State leave and want to stay in the "Big Ten" but want to shed the "western crap", they have to convince other schools to come along for the ride.

So who gets to come along? Michigan State is obvious, if Michigan leaves, MSU comes with them.

If I'm starting the thread, Illinois is in. Hey, OSU wants Illibuck and the Big Three wants Chicago (don't give me Northwestern, they're a private school).

I'd say if you have Illinois you have to have Indiana, you can't have a "Big Ten" without them and Indianapolis. Would you need Purdue? I don't think they're required.

I think Wisconsin is a good add, they're good in both football and men's basketball, and they bring in a fairly populous state.

So that gives us seven schools: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin. I mean if we can get Notre Dame they're definitely in. Otherwise, any 1-3 additional schools work. Could Penn State get Pittsburgh in or would they prefer Pittsburgh stay out?
They were against more expansion at the time because they wanted to implement USCLA first.

You can include schools like Illinois and Indiana if you want to, but they are a problem. USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington are all superior football brands to Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and a few others. I can honestly tell you from my network of people, we are tired of the product schools like Illinois have been putting on the field for actual DECADES now! I can promise you that Ohio State is more aligned with Iowa and Nebraska than they are with Michigan and Penn State.
10-14-2023 04:51 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
As much as we would want all alpha dogs, the only way it happens is if Fox, ESPN, or someone else really pays through the roof. Ohio State likely finishes first or near the top of an alpha dog conference but someone has to finish last in an alpha dog conference and even with 3 or 4 non conference games likely misses out of bowl games annually. And travel is an obvious concern. What's wrong with having a few conference games you can drive to?

Unless I read that article wrong, Ohio State was as against Oregon/Washington joining as Michigan and Penn State were.
10-14-2023 05:25 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(10-14-2023 05:25 PM)schmolik Wrote:  As much as we would want all alpha dogs, the only way it happens is if Fox, ESPN, or someone else really pays through the roof. Ohio State likely finishes first or near the top of an alpha dog conference but someone has to finish last in an alpha dog conference and even with 3 or 4 non conference games likely misses out of bowl games annually. And travel is an obvious concern. What's wrong with having a few conference games you can drive to?

Unless I read that article wrong, Ohio State was as against Oregon/Washington joining as Michigan and Penn State were.
I didn't even read the article, I just remember that there was pause because of a desire to bring on USC and UCLA first. Has nothing to do with them being West coast schools or anything else for that matter. Washington fits in this conference like a glove! An absolutely perfect match!
Football brands: Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, USC, Oregon and Washington.

Basketball brands: Maryland, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, UCLA and USC.
10-14-2023 05:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.