Montgomery Enrollment
10-15-2023 12:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: Montgomery Enrollment
Biggest change was Undergrad Senior enrollment drop of almost 500.
Grad student Master degree saw significant increase.
10-15-2023 03:57 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

Damn. Had no idea WMU had strunk THAT much.
10-16-2023 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BroncoMD Offline
1st String

Crappies
Apparently, the WMU Board of Trustees have no problems with it. On the flip side, the school to the north is not having any issues: https://www.gvsu.edu/enrollmentdevelopme...orts-9.htm -- but we are not in competition with them for students.
10-16-2023 10:33 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Don't know what effect it has on WMU's enrollment but the enrollment at most Michigan HS has been dropping steadily (precipitously in some cases) for a decade or more.

Less school age kids as Boomers get older, fewer Millenials and beyond (Gen Xers etc.) having children.

Could give examples from all of last four HS I taught-coached at and many around them including parochials.
10-16-2023 03:45 PM
AllBronco Offline
Special Teams

(10-16-2023 10:33 AM)BroncoMD Wrote:  Apparently, the WMU Board of Trustees have no problems with it. On the flip side, the school to the north is not having any issues: https://www.gvsu.edu/enrollmentdevelopme...orts-9.htm -- but we are not in competition with them for students.

GVSU is a Mid-West Regional University

WMU offers vastly more different degree programs than GVSU.

WMU has Med School and School or Aviation GVSU has neither.

WMU has history dating back to 1903.

GVSU history dates back to 1960.

WMU athletics is Division 1

GVSU athletic is Division 2

If the criterion for judging schools is only by population, then I guess GVSU is better than Notre Dame and Yale University.
10-16-2023 04:22 PM
Advertisement

AllBronco Offline
Special Teams

(10-16-2023 10:33 AM)BroncoMD Wrote:  Apparently, the WMU Board of Trustees have no problems with it. On the flip side, the school to the north is not having any issues: https://www.gvsu.edu/enrollmentdevelopme...orts-9.htm -- but we are not in competition with them for students.

WMU is a National University R2 Doctoral High Research University

WMU has Med School and School of Aviation GVSU has neither.

GVSU athletic is Division II

If the criterion for judging schools is only by population, then I guess GVSU is better than Notre Dame and Yale University.
10-16-2023 04:28 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

Enrollment decline has been an issue for all peer institutions across the Midwest. The number of HS grads has plummeted and the cost of higher ed continues to skyrocket. Combined with schools like U-M, MSU, and OSU continuing to expand and gobble up whatever HS grads are left....and you have the situation we're in.

At a time of HS enrollment decline, U-M enrollment went from 44,000 in 2015 to 52,000 in 2022. MSU is letting in anyone with a pulse now. Ohio State is bursting at the seems with 66,000!

At the end of the day, it all comes down to money. Those schools simply have a lot more to throw around. They are household names and can relax their standards, knowing that they will always be able to fill out their classrooms. Mid-size 4-year publics like WMU, CMU, EMU will likely need to focus more on specific programs than trying to compete with the big dogs. Same as athletics. It will always be a losing proposition in the end, and it will bankrupt us. Demographic trends show that we will probably never have an abundance of college students again like we did in the 80s though the 2000s. Time to adapt.
10-16-2023 04:43 PM
AllBronco Offline
Special Teams

WMU Endowment was $480 Million even before the $500 Million gift.

GVSU Endowment is $175 Million.

If you ask anyone in the country where is Western Michigan University, they would say obviously it is in West Mich.

If you ask anyone in the country where is Grand Valley University, they would say hell if I know.
10-16-2023 05:20 PM
sketownguy Offline
2nd String

(10-16-2023 05:20 PM)AllBronco Wrote:  WMU Endowment was $480 Million even before the $500 Million gift.

If you ask anyone in the country where is Western Michigan University, they would say obviously it is in West Mich.

If you ask anyone in the country where is Grand Valley University, they would say hell if I know.

They probably don't know it's in Kalamazoo though. They'd probably assume Grand Rapids.
10-16-2023 05:30 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
(10-16-2023 05:20 PM)AllBronco Wrote:  WMU Endowment was $480 Million even before the $500 Million gift.

They mix it up with Grand Canyon University
10-16-2023 05:57 PM
Advertisement

GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

(10-16-2023 04:28 PM)AllBronco Wrote:  

WMU is a National University R2 Doctoral High Research University

WMU has Med School and School of Aviation GVSU has neither.

GVSU athletic is Division II

You don't think WMU is a mid west regional university?
10-16-2023 08:17 PM
Doo Offline
1st String

Nobody outside of WMU alums would consider WMU a national university. The name itself screams regional university.
10-16-2023 08:56 PM
Cocksman Offline
1st String

(10-16-2023 08:56 PM)Doo Wrote:  Nobody outside of WMU alums would consider WMU a national university. The name itself screams regional university.

Maybe the roughly 28% of wmu enrollment who is out of state and international would have something to say about that.
10-16-2023 10:04 PM
BroncoMD Offline
1st String

Crappies
I understand high school enrollment is down. I also believe WMU is a better academic institution than GVSU. Furthermore, WMU is located in great location within hours from the most populated cities/counties in Michigan.

So what is the problem? It appears the major declines started happening in 2019.
10-17-2023 07:46 AM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

(10-17-2023 07:46 AM)BroncoMD Wrote:  I understand high school enrollment is down. I also believe WMU is a better academic institution than GVSU. Furthermore, WMU is located in great location within hours from the most populated cities/counties in Michigan.

So what is the problem? It appears the major declines started happening in 2019.

GVSU was ranked higher in latest US News listing, #260. WMU was tied with Ferris St at #304. Not that I put too much into those rankings..
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023 08:19 AM by GRBRONCO.)
10-17-2023 08:13 AM
Advertisement

AllBronco Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2023 08:13 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 07:46 AM)BroncoMD Wrote:  I understand high school enrollment is down. I also believe WMU is a better academic institution than GVSU. Furthermore, WMU is located in great location within hours from the most populated cities/counties in Michigan.

GVSU was ranked higher in latest US News listing, #260. WMU was tied with Ferris St at #304. Not that I put too much into those rankings..

U.S. News & World Report ranked Grand Valley third in the "Top Public Regional Universities in the Midwest" category and 26th in the "Regional Universities (Midwest) tier 1"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Vall...University

Hard to compare two schools that are in different categories.
10-17-2023 09:26 AM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

(10-17-2023 09:26 AM)AllBronco Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 08:13 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  

U.S. News & World Report ranked Grand Valley third in the "Top Public Regional Universities in the Midwest" category and 26th in the "Regional Universities (Midwest) tier 1"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Vall...University

Hard to compare two schools that are in different categories.

I guess I was a little off. US NEWS NATIONAL University rankings has GVSU #236 and WMU #304. Ferris may pass us soon. I'm sure some parents/students look at these rankings when deciding.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/mi?...ection=asc
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2023 10:04 AM by GRBRONCO.)
10-17-2023 10:03 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

There's an interactive map in this link where you can click the public university and see the enrollment trends.

https://www.mlive.com/data/2022/10/tuiti...ities.html

There does seem to be a post-COVID acceleration in declines across all schools except for UM and MSU (the rich get richer). And oddly enough the U.P. schools have tended to hold their own vs. the L.P. schools.

That only goes to 2022. In 2023, GVSU, NMU, Ferris, Oakland, MTU and of course UM and MSU recorded increases. WMU, CMU, EMU, Wayne State, LSSU, and SVSU continued falling. Not that sports affiliation applies here, but it's interesting how the MAC schools fell in tandem.

Other than that, I'm not sure why some increase and some decrease. It's a mish-mash of locations.

As far as GVSU, even though 1960 is a while ago, it's a shinier new kid on the block. And being near Grand Rapids, Michigan's largest city outside of Detroit, can have its appeal to kids. About 10 years ago there was an article (maybe on MLive) that compare/contrasted GVSU and WMU and how their enrollments were going in different directions. Don't recall the specifics. But I do remember a few GVSU students interviewed mentioned that recruiters would tout how "safe" GVSU is to them and their parents. Which to me felt like subtle code for something, but I digress.

And on a more modest level, playing for Division II football championships decade after decade can't hurt GVSU's visibility and appeal, and now Ferris too. Oakland down the street from me is growing, and is likely benefitting from more cost-conscious local families who don't want to deal with room and board on top of sky-high tuition, which is understandable.

But yeah, being honest, it's been tough watching GVSU "win" lately in this department.
10-17-2023 10:14 AM
BroncoMD Offline
1st String

Crappies
(10-17-2023 10:14 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  But I do remember a few GVSU students interviewed mentioned that recruiters would tout how "safe" GVSU is to them and their parents. Which to me felt like subtle code for something, but I digress.

I recall BroncoFan1 mentioning GVSU using certain tactics to draw in students. I know my daughter had the perception that it was a safe campus when she enrolled with a scholarship offer to boot. She is now living near downtown GR in her final year. The neighborhood is not quite like living west of the Grand River.
10-17-2023 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.