Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What schools make it to the nPAC12?
AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
What schools make it to the nPAC12?
Rumor has it WSU/OSU are just going to merge with the MW and perhaps bring the PAC name and remaining assets. I get the feeling the PAC2 are going to be more selective than that. Below are my top 3 guess at the nPAC12. I think the 3rd option is the least likely.

1) WSU/OSU/BSU/USU/SDSU/FSU/UNLV/WYO/CSU/AFA/TULN/MEM

2) WSU/OSU/BSU/USU/SDSU/FSU/UNLV/NEV/WYO/CSU/AFA/TXST

3)WSU/OSU/BSU/USU/SJSU/FSU/SDSU/UNLV/NEV/HAW/AFA/CSU/WYO/UNM
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023 03:00 PM by AztecEmpire.)
10-15-2023 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
RE: What schools make it to the nPAC12?
Washington St…….Utah
Oregon St…………..BYU
Boise St……………..Nevada
Fresno St……………UNLV
San Diego St………Arizona
Wyoming…………….Arizona St.
New Mexico…………TCU
New Mexico St……Houston
UTEP…………………..Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech………….Tulsa
UTSA…………………..Kansas St.
Baylor………………….Iowa St.
10-15-2023 02:48 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
Full merger.
10-15-2023 03:16 PM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
MWC should tell the PAC-2 that it’s an all or nothing deal. If they don’t like that, the two of them can go twist in the wind.
10-15-2023 03:17 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(10-15-2023 02:37 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  Rumor has it WSU/OSU are just going to merge with the MW and perhaps bring the PAC name and remaining assets. I get the feeling the PAC2 are going to be more selective than that. Below are my top 3 guess at the nPAC12. I think the 3rd option is the least likely.

Your feeling appears to disregard MWC and AAC exit fees that, depending on the conference and the timing, may range from $10 million to $34 million per school.

My expectation is that WSU and OSU will want to pay themselves whatever PAC financial assets they can retain so as to soften their own transitions to smaller annual athletic budgets, rather than spending the money to defray exit fees for MWC and AAC schools. That suggests that a full Pac-MWC merger of some kind is the most likely outcome.
10-15-2023 03:22 PM
EdwordL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KU, WVU
(10-15-2023 02:37 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  Rumor has it WSU/OSU are just going to merge with the MW and perhaps bring the PAC name and remaining assets. I get the feeling the PAC2 are going to be more selective than that. Below are my top 3 guess at the nPAC12. I think the 3rd option is the least likely.

Just read a Jim Williams tweet that, according to his source, WOSU hope to retain the assets, then join either ACC or Big 12.
10-15-2023 03:25 PM
Advertisement

AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
(10-15-2023 03:22 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

Your feeling appears to disregard MWC and AAC exit fees that, depending on the conference and the timing, may range from $10 million to $34 million per school.

My expectation is that WSU and OSU will want to pay themselves whatever PAC financial assets they can retain so as to soften their own transitions to smaller annual athletic budgets, rather than spending the money to defray exit fees for MWC and AAC schools. That suggests that a full Pac-MWC merger of some kind is the most likely outcome.

Option 2 would mean the MW is dissolved with 9 members moving on with WSU/OSU. So there would be no exit fees.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023 03:29 PM by AztecEmpire.)
10-15-2023 03:29 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
PAC + MWC = 14
SBC = 14
AAC + Army = 14
MAC + MTSU/WKU = 14
CUSA + 6 FCS = 14
10-15-2023 03:41 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-15-2023 03:16 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  Full merger.

This, without full merger there will be no merger. just grabbing of schools. bringing all assets from both Pac and MWC makes all the sense in the world.
10-15-2023 03:43 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

(10-15-2023 03:29 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  
(10-15-2023 03:22 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

Option 2 would mean the MW is dissolved with 9 members moving on with WSU/OSU. So there would be no exit fees.

The MWC can only be dissolved if nine members vote to do it before reaching any agreement to join the Pac. If they were to reach such an agreement prior to the MWC being dissolved, they would be obligated to inform the conference. This would result in them losing their voting rights, which in turn would prevent them from voting to dissolve the conference.

In short, it’s not a realistic scenario. Frank the Tank and other posters have addressed this previously on the board. One of the purposes of conference by-laws is to prevent a subset of members from conspiring to act in bad faith against the interests of the conference as a whole.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023 04:27 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
10-15-2023 04:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-15-2023 03:17 PM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  MWC should tell the PAC-2 that it’s an all or nothing deal. If they don’t like that, the two of them can go twist in the wind.

Yes.

Plus, if they invite less than 9, there will be an exit fee, so it simply won't happen.

And I don't see the PacMWC as being more attractive to Tulane and Memphis than the AAC even if travel and exit fees were not an issue.
10-15-2023 04:23 PM
Advertisement

djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(10-15-2023 04:23 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-15-2023 03:17 PM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  MWC should tell the PAC-2 that it’s an all or nothing deal. If they don’t like that, the two of them can go twist in the wind.

Yes.

Plus, if they invite less than 9, there will be an exit fee, so it simply won't happen.

And I don't see the PacMWC as being more attractive to Tulane and Memphis than the AAC even if travel and exit fees were not an issue.

See post directly above yours by HawaiiMongoose. You can't just invite 9. You have to invite them all. Or there will be exit fees....or a lawsuit.
10-15-2023 04:37 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-15-2023 04:37 PM)djsuperfly Wrote:  

Yes.

See post directly above yours by HawaiiMongoose. You can't just invite 9. You have to invite them all. Or there will be exit fees....or a lawsuit.

There can be a lot of stuff going on before a formal offer. It could get sticky, but the left behinds would likely not win. But there really isn't anybody who changes the value much or who they want to get away from to go through all that trouble.

I agree its not happening, but I don't think its impossible. There are probably only 6 who are sure they wouldn't get left behind.
10-15-2023 04:42 PM
djsuperfly Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(10-15-2023 04:42 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Yes.

There can be a lot of stuff going on before a formal offer. It could get sticky, but the left behinds would likely not win. But there really isn't anybody who changes the value much or who they want to get away from to go through all that trouble.

I agree its not happening, but I don't think its impossible. There are probably only 6 who are sure they wouldn't get left behind.

I'm not sure what that "stuff" might be. However, I can tell you: I don't know many judges who wouldn't see 9 schools voting to dissolve the conference and then immediately go to a new conference as anything but a bad-faith attempt to circumvent the spirit of the bylaws.
10-15-2023 04:50 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

Yes.

I agree that it would come down to a calculation of risk versus return, and that there’s just not much return in trying to engineer an MWC conference dissolution that leaves a handful of schools behind. It’s possible that the nPac could end up with a few fewer mouths to feed, but there wouldn’t be a significant impact on the size of its TV deal. And any left-behinds would fight it like hell, because being left out would be tantamount to a death sentence for their football programs and financially damaging to their entire athletic programs. There would be litigation for sure, with little or no prospect of a settlement or mediated solution.
10-15-2023 04:55 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-15-2023 04:55 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

Yes.

I agree that it would come down to a calculation of risk versus return, and that there’s just not much return in trying to engineer an MWC conference dissolution that leaves a handful of schools behind. It’s possible that the nPac could end up with a few fewer mouths to feed, but there wouldn’t be a significant impact on the size of its TV deal. And any left-behinds would fight it like hell, because being left out would be tantamount to a death sentence for their football programs and financially damaging to their entire athletic programs. There would be litigation for sure, with little or no prospect of a settlement or mediated solution.

Other than Boise and maybe Air Force, there's nobody in the MWC whose worth that much more than the other schools. San Jose, who might be left out, has better TV ratings than UNLV and CSU, who would be sure to make it. You may have fewer mouths, but you don't have much different average value. So why do it?
10-15-2023 05:01 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(10-15-2023 03:25 PM)EdwordL Wrote:  

Just read a Jim Williams tweet that, according to his source, WOSU hope to retain the assets, then join either ACC or Big 12.

Neither conference wants them at all. There is not more money to give to those two.
10-15-2023 05:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

Yes.

If I was a tv exact? I would give the PAC2/MWC $20 million a year per school. I would also dangle them extra money to attract Tulane, Memphis, UTSA, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Missouri State, Gonzaga and Wichita State. Maybe a Long Beach State for the LA tv market.
10-15-2023 05:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(10-15-2023 02:37 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  Rumor has it WSU/OSU are just going to merge with the MW and perhaps bring the PAC name and remaining assets.

This would seem to be the path of least resistance, yes. And it could yield a big Western conference that would be fun to watch.
10-15-2023 06:51 PM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(10-15-2023 05:25 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Yes.

If I was a tv exact? I would give the PAC2/MWC $20 million a year per school. I would also dangle them extra money to attract Tulane, Memphis, UTSA, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Missouri State, Gonzaga and Wichita State. Maybe a Long Beach State for the LA tv market.
Get real. Theyll be lucky to get over 10m for any combination of Pac-2 and G5 schools.
10-15-2023 07:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.