Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaching rumors
Bookmark and Share
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Coaching rumors
Might as well spin this up now with a proper title. We're not far away from silly season. There will be a lot of changes coming soon as all the FBS losers look to improve.

Looks like Marshall's Huff is on the hot seat, and Rich Rod from JSU is a rumored candidate. Personally, I think they should be a bit more patient with Huff. He's had some nice wins. Huff beat Notre Dame last year, VT this year, and gave NC St all they could handle.

https://voiceofmotown.com/rumors-of-rich...eating-up/
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 09:43 AM by JMURocks.)
11-05-2023 09:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dignan Offline
1st String

RE: Coaching rumors - 2023 edition
(11-05-2023 09:35 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Might as well spin this up now with a proper title. We're not far away from silly season. There will be a lot of changes coming soon as all the FBS losers look to improve.

Looks like Marshall's Huff is on the hot seat, and Rich Rod from JSU is a rumored candidate. Personally, I think they should be a bit more patient with Huff. He's had some nice wins. Huff beat Notre Dame last year, VT this year, and gave NC St all they could handle.

I don’t know. Seeing Marshall at the bottom of the standings is pretty jarring.
11-06-2023 02:00 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Just a year ago they were 9-4. Not sure it's a great look to fire a coach in year three where they had one of their better seasons.
3 years with a losing record... I get that. But he hasn't even had a losing season yet. Even year one they went 7-6 (and were 2nd in the East in CUSA).
11-06-2023 08:48 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(11-06-2023 08:48 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  Just a year ago they were 9-4. Not sure it's a great look to fire a coach in year three where they had one of their better seasons.
3 years with a losing record... I get that. But he hasn't even had a losing season yet. Even year one they went 7-6 (and were 2nd in the East in CUSA).
Not to mention G5s don’t have the T. Boone Pickens deep pockets and simply can’t afford to pay 2 HC salaries. So barring scandal, even a “bad hire” will likely see his contract through to the end.
11-06-2023 08:57 AM
jmu98 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
When I watch Huff in interviews I get a Withers vibe a bit. It all sounds good but comes off a bit arrogant and doesnt really say anything. Personally don’t think he is a great coach but I think it will be tough to fire him unless they lose out. If they go from 4-0 to 4-8 I think he is gone.
11-06-2023 09:16 AM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

(11-06-2023 02:00 AM)Dignan Wrote:  
(11-05-2023 09:35 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Might as well spin this up now with a proper title. We're not far away from silly season. There will be a lot of changes coming soon as all the FBS losers look to improve.

I don’t know. Seeing Marshall at the bottom of the standings is pretty jarring.

Coming into the season, I thought there was a good chance Marshall would play in the SBC title game. Ali was back and I figured Cam Fancher would continue to build on his 5-1 record as a starter. Not sure how the wheels fell off.
11-06-2023 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I have seen a couple lists of National COY candidates and Cignetti is on short lists of 5 or 6.

along with the FSU, Arizona, Louisville coaches, among others.

We are going to get a significant amount of calls about him this offseason.

We need to bump staff pay. That is a given.

but we are also going to have to be lucky that there isn't an offer he is tempted by.

Legacies are great. But so is $$$$$$$.

you also have to look at Cignetti has had remarkeable staff loyalty. Many of the younger coaches in key positions have been with him the entire time he's been at JMU.
Sometimes older coaches leave for more money, not just for themselves, but to take his staff and set up his young loyal lieutenants with greater pay and greater opportunity for the future.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2023 09:42 AM by Duke Dawg.)
11-06-2023 09:40 AM
Rockville Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

Coaching rumors - 2023 edition
(11-06-2023 09:40 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  I have seen a couple lists of National COY candidates and Cignetti is on short lists of 5 or 6.

along with the FSU, Arizona, Louisville coaches, among others.

We are going to get a significant amount of calls about him this offseason.

We need to bump staff pay. That is a given.

but we are also going to have to be lucky that there isn't an offer he is tempted by.

Legacies are great. But so is $$$$$$$.

you also have to look at Cignetti has had remarkeable staff loyalty. Many of the younger coaches in key positions have been with him the entire time he's been at JMU.
Sometimes older coaches leave for more money, not just for themselves, but to take his staff and set up his young loyal lieutenants with greater pay and greater opportunity for the future.

I think if he wants to leave it would be strategic to wait at least a year. With CFP expansion to 12 next year it seems a more direct path with a G5 champion than a P5 like WVU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-06-2023 01:00 PM
Navyduke 07 Offline
Special Teams

https://www.espn.com/college-football/in...candidates

New article regarding the newly vacant Miss St. job. Tulane, JMU, Troy, Liberty, UTSA, others mentioned.

Quote: James Madison coach Curt Cignetti: Like Fritz, Cignetti is a highly respected veteran coach who has spent much of his career in college football's lower divisions, but seems ready for a major opportunity later in life. The 62-year-old is 51-8 at James Madison, which boasts a 10-0 record and a No. 18 AP ranking as ESPN's "College GameDay" visits this week. Cignetti is 118-34 overall at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Elon and James Madison, which moved into the FBS last fall. But some forget he also has SEC experience as Nick Saban's first Alabama recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach from 2007 to 2010. Cignetti helped lay the foundation for the Alabama dynasty, but he's mostly attached to the Mid-Atlantic region and might have a background too similar to Moorhead's.
11-13-2023 03:30 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Pitt let their OC go, curious if they target Shanahan and/or Sunseri for the role? And if so, if JMU backfills them with Pitt’s OC who happens to be HCCC’s brother Frank.
11-26-2023 03:57 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Elko to A&M is gaining steam. Duke would be a job I worry about in regards to Cignetti.
11-26-2023 04:39 PM
Advertisement

jmu007 Offline
All American

Sure, if you're into never appearing in the CFP ever.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2023 04:41 PM by jmu007.)
11-26-2023 04:41 PM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

(11-26-2023 04:39 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Elko to A&M is gaining steam. Duke would be a job I worry about in regards to Cignetti.

JMU's stadium is better than Wallace Wade and not much smaller. Duke had nice support for a month after beating Clemson but as soon as the QB got hurt, everyone stopped going to games again. It's a wasteland where everything has to go right just to get to 8-4 and fight for the Pop Tarts bowl in a perfect world.

If Cignetti really does have P5 aspirations, he can do way better than Duke. I believe that he will stay at JMU and knows how special it is.
11-26-2023 04:59 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(11-26-2023 04:39 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Elko to A&M is gaining steam. Duke would be a job I worry about in regards to Cignetti.
And yet another school with basketball as the clear #1 priority and focus. They had a very good season going until it fell apart and they ended up 8th in the conference. Not the program for him at this point in his career.
11-26-2023 05:22 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
I have heard for several years that jobs in NC are on Cig's short list of potential moves. I assume that was in relation to NCSU/UNC, but Duke is in the same area and will pay very well.

Cignetti will be on their short list. I hope the interest isn't mutual.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2023 05:45 PM by JMU2004.)
11-26-2023 05:33 PM
VBDuke95 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU DUKES!!
How hot is Houston’s seat at ECU? Not that I see them as a threat to poach anyone.
11-26-2023 05:42 PM
Advertisement

Purple Offline
Heisman

(11-26-2023 05:42 PM)VBDuke95 Wrote:  How hot is Houston’s seat at ECU? Not that I see them as a threat to poach anyone.

Mikey is safe for a year it seems. Everyone wants him gone, but the school can't afford the payout. He had to finally fire Kirkpatrick to keep his own job. Their recruiting is in the toilet and they will likely do worse next year than this year while Mikey laughs all the way to the bank (he makes 2.5 mil per year).

I promise you, Cig wants nothing to do with that dumpster fire!
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2023 06:01 PM by Purple.)
11-26-2023 06:00 PM
jmu98 Offline
All American

(11-26-2023 05:33 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  I have heard for several years that jobs in NC are on Cig's short list of potential moves. I assume that was in relation to NCSU/UNC, but Duke is in the same area and will pay very well.

Have not heard Duke as a spot for Cig. NC State if it were to open would scare me but don’t see that happening.

Don’t think Duke would interest cog as it is the private school version Indiana. Basketball school where there is a a ceiling that is below CFP without all stars aligning.
11-26-2023 06:11 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(11-26-2023 06:11 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  
(11-26-2023 05:33 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  I have heard for several years that jobs in NC are on Cig's short list of potential moves. I assume that was in relation to NCSU/UNC, but Duke is in the same area and will pay very well.

Have not heard Duke as a spot for Cig. NC State if it were to open would scare me but don’t see that happening.

Don’t think Duke would interest cog as it is the private school version Indiana. Basketball school where there is a a ceiling that is below CFP without all stars aligning.

I'm not so sure about that. Duke can afford to pay whatever it takes and is a very desirable destination for recruits under the right leadership. Cig could duplicate at the P5 level what he has accomplished at JMU. I believe that would be a very tempting job for Cig.
11-26-2023 06:16 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

Texas A&M just came to terms with Elko from Duke, so Duke is now open.

Mississippi State just hired Oklahoma's OC as their head coach, so no real spot opens up over that one.
11-26-2023 08:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.