Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023 Coaching Carousel (Update: Duke, Houston, Indiana, Cuse, Oregon St)
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
2023 Coaching Carousel (Update: Duke, Houston, Indiana, Cuse, Oregon St)
https://247sports.com/article/2023-24-co...219342384/

Head Coaching Seats Available:
Duke
Houston
Indiana
Syracuse
Oregon State
Boise State
Middle Tennessee State
Louisiana Monroe
New Mexico
UTEP

New Head Coaches:
Texas A&M = Mike Elko (Duke)
Michigan State = Jonathan Smith (Oregon State)
Mississippi State = Jeff Lebby, head coach (Oklahoma OC)
Northwestern = David Braun (Northwestern, interim head coach)
San Diego State = Sean Lewis (Colorado OC)
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2023 04:03 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
11-13-2023 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

RE: 2023 Coaching Carousel (Texas A&M, Michigan State, NW, Miss-State, Boise State)
Scott Frost Warning for Boise State

[Image: cmmplquqezicz7raxzey]
11-13-2023 09:54 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: 2023 Coaching Carousel (Texas A&M, Michigan State, NW, Miss-State, Boise State)
Shaping up to be a really wild one.
11-13-2023 09:55 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
There is more money available than solid coaching talent. Some mediocre coaches are going to be paid well to be, well, mediocre. And in 3 to 4 years it will be DeJa'Vu all over again as Yogi said.
11-13-2023 09:58 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2023 09:58 AM)JRsec Wrote:  There is more money available than solid coaching talent. Some mediocre coaches are going to be paid well to be, well, mediocre. And in 3 to 4 years it will be DeJa'Vu all over again as Yogi said.

I'm going to laugh if Mike Norvell gets poached from FSU.

All off season talk from FSU saying the Power 2 Money Gap is too wide. They need more money to compete at the highest level. Norvell brings them to the highest level and immediately leaves to the highest bidder.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023 10:15 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
11-13-2023 10:01 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-13-2023 10:01 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(11-13-2023 09:58 AM)JRsec Wrote:  There is more money available than solid coaching talent. Some mediocre coaches are going to be paid well to be, well, mediocre. And in 3 to 4 years it will be DeJa'Vu all over again as Yogi said.

I'm going to laugh if Mike Norvell gets poached from FSU.

All off season talk from FSU saying the Power 2 Money gaps is too wide. They need more money to compete at the highest level. Norvell brings them to the highest level and immediately leaves to the highest bidder.

When you become a head coach you get a copy of Eddie Murphy posing as Velvet Jones's book, "Be a Ho!" There aren't many star players who dream of returning to coach at their alma mater. They are all hired guns. Loyalty died with the coaches of the 50's and 60's who were gone by the mid 70's. Heck, even star players have very little loyalty and now with the portal and NIL there is virtually none.
11-13-2023 10:09 AM
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
11-13-2023 10:16 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I wonder if Jimbo Fisher has called any of these schools yet.
11-13-2023 10:26 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-13-2023 10:26 AM)ken d Wrote:  I wonder if Jimbo Fisher has called any of these schools yet.

Why Ken D? His biggest issue is tax sheltering that much money. He has to be in 37% bracket, or higher if the state is added. Plus, Sexton will make his percentage no matter what. If I was Jimbo, I would ask A&M to spread it all out a bit more with a clause that if he dies before they are through paying the remainder goes to his heirs.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023 10:31 AM by JRsec.)
11-13-2023 10:29 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2023 10:29 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-13-2023 10:26 AM)ken d Wrote:  I wonder if Jimbo Fisher has called any of these schools yet.

Why Ken D? His biggest issue is tax sheltering that much money. He has to be in 37% bracket, or higher if the state is added. Plus, Sexton will make his percentage no matter what. If I was Jimbo, I would ask A&M to spread it all out a bit more with a clause that if he dies before they are through paying the remainder goes to his heirs.

No state income tax in Texas.
11-13-2023 10:31 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah, that tax thing is a tough break for Jimbo. I feel sorry for him. (We really need a sarcasm font here)
11-13-2023 10:34 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-13-2023 10:31 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  

Question - if he goes to a school in a state that has an income tax, do the payments by TAMU become taxable?
11-13-2023 10:37 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

When I retired I wanted to move to Tennessee, same thing. Elderly parents and in-laws in need of care and financial direction kept me from it. And Alabama has a perk for my wife. If you were a state employee and retire in Alabama and stay, there is no state income tax on your pension.

Still, I had a 2300 sq ft home, brick with central heat and air, with an air conditioned brick work building out back and a barn on 7 acres of land picked out in Fayetteville for a little over $160,000 in 2006. It's a small town with nice people and only 20 minutes from a major hospital in Huntsville.

Now I'm watching my property tax grow $150 bucks a year and getting zoning regulations out the wazoo in Auburn because the city wants to triple its tax base and is violating lot size requirements in old neighborhoods to double up. They use the codes to force old homes built in the center of large lots to be bulldozed so they can split the lots into two building lots. Damn crooks. That's our future, and likely everywhere, except hopefully Texas and Tennessee, but hey that was the two groups at the Alamo. They earned a tax free status!
11-13-2023 10:40 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2023 10:37 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Question - if he goes to a school in a state that has an income tax, do the payments by TAMU become taxable?

I'm not a tax expert, but I would think that if he is paid as a Texas resident (say a lump sum now) it would be not taxed in Texas. If it is spread out over payments and he moves to another state, that state would tax any payments made while he lived there.
11-13-2023 10:53 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2023 10:37 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Normal people can avoid that by keeping a house in the tax-free state and claiming that as their Permanent Resident. Its harder for public figures because tax auditors will obviously realize he's working in their state. Jimbo can't claim he's living in Texas the majority of the time when there are pictures and interviews of him working everyday at whatever taxable state he accepts the next job at.

It's probably best for Jimbo to join Sark's Texas staff as an analyst or something easy. Stay around football in case another high profile job opens while keeping his nest egg whole.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023 11:15 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
11-13-2023 10:56 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2023 10:16 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Brady Hoke retiring from SDSU
https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-b...easons-end

SDSU is such a hard job to hire.
- Its not an established G5 powerhouse.
- California has the highest state taxes.
- Mountain West media deal doesn't get them much exposure
11-13-2023 11:03 AM
Advertisement

AssKickingChicken Online
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
Florida doesn’t have state income tax so he’s safe if he moves back there.

I’m no expert but I think if he moved to a state with income tax the state would take its cut. He might claim a Texas residence but if he is working at (as an example) LSU it would be hard to maintain the facade of living in Texas.
11-13-2023 11:29 AM
AssKickingChicken Online
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
RE: 2023 Coaching Carousel (Texas A&M, Florida, Michigan State, NW)
(11-13-2023 10:40 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

When I retired I wanted to move to Tennessee, same thing. Elderly parents and in-laws in need of care and financial direction kept me from it. And Alabama has a perk for my wife. If you were a state employee and retire in Alabama and stay, there is no state income tax on your pension.

Still, I had a 2300 sq ft home, brick with central heat and air, with an air conditioned brick work building out back and a barn on 7 acres of land picked out in Fayetteville for a little over $160,000 in 2006. It's a small town with nice people and only 20 minutes from a major hospital in Huntsville.

Now I'm watching my property tax grow $150 bucks a year and getting zoning regulations out the wazoo in Auburn because the city wants to triple its tax base and is violating lot size requirements in old neighborhoods to double up. They use the codes to force old homes built in the center of large lots to be bulldozed so they can split the lots into two building lots. Damn crooks. That's our future, and likely everywhere, except hopefully Texas and Tennessee, but hey that was the two groups at the Alamo. They earned a tax free status!

Aren’t you exempt from property tax in Alabama once you hit 65?
11-13-2023 11:30 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-13-2023 11:30 AM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  
(11-13-2023 10:40 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Aren’t you exempt from property tax in Alabama once you hit 65?

No! My 90-year-old mother-in-law pays it every year. And she has a CPA handling her taxes, as do I. State employees are exempt from State Income Tax at 65 if they worked for the State of Alabama and live in retirement in the State.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2023 11:55 AM by JRsec.)
11-13-2023 11:32 AM
Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
Jimbo will get picked up by next season as a HC
11-13-2023 11:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.