Football Assistant Coaches
HCBC - Bob Chesney
Offensive Coordinator?
Defensive Coordinator?
Pass Game Coordinator?
QB Coach?
O line Coach?
D-line coach?

I believe Dean Kennedy will be our new OC following HCBC from HC. I wonder if the offensive staff will be joining him.

Defensive coordinator at HC is now interim head coach. I’m thinking Corey Heatherman is our d coordinator.
12-10-2023 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Purple Pilgrim Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Football Assistant Coaches
You are wondering the same things that I am, but I haven’t heard a peep as to what Chesney is doing to fill out the staff. After his efforts to grab the tiller in the wake of Cig’s departure, I imagine that Wrobo will be given a shot at OL coach.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2023 01:06 PM by Purple Pilgrim.)
12-10-2023 12:10 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
gotta keep Wrobs...
12-10-2023 12:12 PM
Dukester Offline

While not the norm waiting 4-5 days for the press conference. I guess there are many reasonable reasons for the delay. Is the delay to assemble staff, meet with recruits, re-organize how to move forward? Would be interested for the unnormal delay in the press conference. It's been 3 days and I've not heard anything on anything going on. Would love to hear of something progressing.
12-10-2023 12:28 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
(12-10-2023 12:28 PM)Dukester Wrote:  While not the norm waiting 4-5 days for the press conference. I guess there are many reasonable reasons for the delay. Is the delay to assemble staff, meet with recruits, re-organize how to move forward? Would be interested for the unnormal delay in the press conference. It's been 3 days and I've not heard anything on anything going on. Would love to hear of something progressing.

I'm sure BC is progressing... probably sleeps 8p to 4am kind of guy and grinding. I'd wager we get a good update on Tuesday
12-10-2023 01:17 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(12-10-2023 09:09 AM)#20fromalongtimeago Wrote:  HCBC - Bob Chesney
Offensive Coordinator?
Defensive Coordinator?
Pass Game Coordinator?
QB Coach?
O line Coach?
D-line coach?

I believe Dean Kennedy will be our new OC following HCBC from HC. I wonder if the offensive staff will be joining him.

Defensive coordinator at HC is now interim head coach. I’m thinking Corey Heatherman is our d coordinator.

I'm with you on Corey. I feel certain that was what the stop at Rutgers was all about. I just hope he agreed to come to JMU. Some here think that we can't offer him enough. I hope they are wrong.

Corey built the defense we currently have, so we won't miss a beat defensively. Anyone know why he left JMU to begin with?
12-10-2023 03:30 PM
Advertisement

jmu007 Offline
All American

I'd imagine just normal turnover for growth/advancement. We've lost a number of assistants over the years under Cig. Both coordinators, RB coach, DB coach, etc..
12-10-2023 03:34 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Heatherman and Harasymiak moved up the ranks together at Maine. I'd think that was a factor in the move to Rutgers. The other two factors were fcs vs fbs job/experience and likely at least double the pay.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2023 03:54 PM by JMURocks.)
12-10-2023 03:53 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

(12-10-2023 12:28 PM)Dukester Wrote:  While not the norm waiting 4-5 days for the press conference. I guess there are many reasonable reasons for the delay. Is the delay to assemble staff, meet with recruits, re-organize how to move forward? Would be interested for the unnormal delay in the press conference. It's been 3 days and I've not heard anything on anything going on. Would love to hear of something progressing.

Personally, I like the delay. The intro press conference is just a dog and pony show anyway. Based on the timing of the hire it was much more important for Chesney to rerecruit JMU players, recruit the portal for other players, and recruit assistant coaches. All in that order.

I’m sure he has been burning the candle at both ends to get a firm grasp on things and set a short-term strategy before he locks on on long-term strategy after the early signing period is over Dec 20th, the transfer portal window closes January 2nd. You have to think he is recruiting players that he was not recruiting at Holy Cross. He has jumped into the big time and will be getting doors to open that were shut in his face at Holy Cross. That is a lot to recruit your roster in a compressed 3 weeks without really having a starting point that he can build on. If he does hire an assistant coach(es) quickly, he needs to get a recruiting guru to help split the load over the next few weeks.
12-10-2023 09:19 PM
81Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Dukes!
Assuming Coach Chesney will bring some of his assistants with him as most coaches do. Several of his assistants have had recruiting responsibilities in our region. Here are a few possibles:

Dean Kennedy, OC
RECRUITING AREAS: Georgia, North Florida
https://goholycross.com/sports/football/...nnedy/1364

Kyle Barnes, Cornerbacks
RECRUITING AREAS: Maryland, D.C., Virginia, West Virginia
https://goholycross.com/sports/football/...arnes/1359

Mike Cordova, Running Backs
RECRUITING AREAS: North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
https://goholycross.com/sports/football/...rdova/1361

Nick Della Jacono, D-Line
RECRUITING AREAS: South New Jersey, Delaware, Eastern/Central Pennsylvania
https://goholycross.com/sports/football/...acono/1362
12-10-2023 10:27 PM
JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

Lot's of young and hopefully hungry coaches, with plenty of energy.

I guess you kind of tackle it like this:
  • Keep our players out of the portal
  • Keep our recruits who have not reopened their recruiting
  • Pull back players from the portal
  • Resign recruits
  • Bring in players form the portal
  • See if there are recruits from P5s that lost their spot in the end

Knowing the talent - both in the portal and recruits, might be easier than having the connections to get a commit at this late stage. This where keeping some of our recruiting staff and identifying more coaches with P5 background is important.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2023 10:47 PM by JMU_Rocks!.)
12-10-2023 10:46 PM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(12-10-2023 10:27 PM)81Duke Wrote:  Assuming Coach Chesney will bring some of his assistants with him as most coaches do. Several of his assistants have had recruiting responsibilities in our region. Here are a few possibles:

Dean Kennedy, OC
RECRUITING AREAS: Georgia, North Florida
https://goholycross.com/sports/football/...nnedy/1364

Kyle Barnes, Cornerbacks
RECRUITING AREAS: Maryland, D.C., Virginia, West Virginia
https://goholycross.com/sports/football/...arnes/1359

Mike Cordova, Running Backs
RECRUITING AREAS: North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
https://goholycross.com/sports/football/...rdova/1361

Nick Della Jacono, D-Line
RECRUITING AREAS: South New Jersey, Delaware, Eastern/Central Pennsylvania
https://goholycross.com/sports/football/...acono/1362

I felt Ches was the right pick, but I'm hoping he does not bring his whole crew. To win at JMU he's going take this opportunity to upgrade his staff. Should he bring some from HC? Sure

When Houston went to ECU it was similar programs so retaining the coaches made sense.

When Cig came from Elon the programs were not that different so it made sense retain a lot of coaches.

When Cig went to IU he was leaving a top 25 team, so it made sense to retain his key assistants.

With Ches - he's moving to a team that would of been favored by 24 if they played HC this year. I realize the lack of scholarships, and facilities but this is a HUGE difference. He need's FBS experience/support to take over a top3 G5 program. Corey would be a huge addition if we can get him as hoped.
12-11-2023 08:32 AM
84Breeze Offline
Special Teams

Football Assistant Coaches
It has been too quiet! Hopefully we begin to hear some staffing news today. The press conference will be a must see event. Very excited about this hire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-11-2023 09:21 AM
Dukes1825 Offline
Special Teams

Been very quiet. I know flight tracking season is over but there’s an interesting one about to land. It’s Bedford, MA (outside Boston) to Teterboro, NJ (where Jeff and Co. went), and now about to land at SHD. It’s mainly interesting because Teterboro to SHD is a rarely traveled route, as in ever, with the exception of Jeff and Co. last week.
12-11-2023 10:46 AM
jmu98 Offline
All American

(12-11-2023 10:46 AM)Dukes1825 Wrote:  Been very quiet. I know flight tracking season is over but there’s an interesting one about to land. It’s Bedford, MA (outside Boston) to Teterboro, NJ (where Jeff and Co. went), and now about to land at SHD. It’s mainly interesting because Teterboro to SHD is a rarely traveled route, as in ever, with the exception of Jeff and Co. last week.

The one in Bedford is Hanscom Air base which is an old AF base and now does private jets and and I think some small commercial flights. Going from there to Teterboro probably happens all the time, but then going to SHD as you said would be quite rare. Hopefully, it is a flight with some of the assistants and then picking up our guy in NJ.

Guessing we find out tomorrow either way.
12-11-2023 10:53 AM
jmu98 Offline
All American

Interestingly the flight that is about to land spent the night at Teterboro before flying here. I also noticed a much much larger jet, a Bombadier fly from Hanscom to SHD yesterday evening which is probably Chesney's wife and kids and maybe some assistants families that he is bringing.
12-11-2023 10:59 AM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Highly doubt we're paying for private jet charters for assistants. We're not Bama.
12-11-2023 11:00 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-11-2023 10:46 AM)Dukes1825 Wrote:  Been very quiet. I know flight tracking season is over but there’s an interesting one about to land. It’s Bedford, MA (outside Boston) to Teterboro, NJ (where Jeff and Co. went), and now about to land at SHD. It’s mainly interesting because Teterboro to SHD is a rarely traveled route, as in ever, with the exception of Jeff and Co. last week.

The plane arriving is a bombardier Challenger 300. Thats a significantly larger class of aircraft than a Citation and more expensive to operate.

Suppose its possible that was the only plane available, or it was available on a one way trip. Wouldn't seem like the first choice of aircraft for this mission, unless it was conveniently located and delivering a couple guys.
12-11-2023 11:01 AM
jmu98 Offline
All American

(12-11-2023 11:00 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Highly doubt we're paying for private jet charters for assistants. We're not Bama.

Agreed but there would be highly coincidental to have that flight last night from Hanscom to SHD.
12-11-2023 11:04 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-11-2023 10:59 AM)jmu98 Wrote:  Interestingly the flight that is about to land spent the night at Teterboro before flying here. I also noticed a much much larger jet, a Bombadier fly from Hanscom to SHD yesterday evening which is probably Chesney's wife and kids and maybe some assistants families that he is bringing.

Interesting. Maybe we've got more in the budget for travel than I thought, or are in a rush to get our pieces in place quickly.
12-11-2023 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.