Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

...if Bama wins the natty, is Saban calling it a career?
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...if Bama wins the natty, is Saban calling it a career?
...I've been seeing lots of stuff on FB (03-drunk) indicating this, 'confirmation' from his daughter (again, 03-drunk ) that if Bama wins it all this year, Saban steps down...

...the ONLY thing which MAY lend credence to this is... well, Saban is 72, albeit a quite spry 72 - no doubt he could coach 4-5 more years at least.
ALSO, I KNOW he just isn't a fan of the NIL / Portal era of things, even tho Bama will not be adversely affected by it, but it's just more stuff to hassle with for him.
AND, there's also no doubt that Nick seems to be overall a LOT more 'at ease' these past few seasons, especially this year, at least away from the sidelines - makes you wonder if he's thinking it will be a perfect endingto his career to go out on top...

Just wondering if y'all have any 'take' on this, especially our Crimson folks...
12-26-2023 10:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
RE: ...if Bama wins the natty, is Saban calling it a career?
Those are all valid reasons, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired or if he kept coaching.

He might keep coaching just to keep everyone guessing.
12-26-2023 11:17 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Saban will retire, eventually. It might be at the end of this year, it might be another 5 years, right now we don’t know. People have been saying he’s done and going to retire for 5-7 years now. People keeping saying, and eventually they will be right and there are a group that will claim they knew all along and they were right.
12-26-2023 11:18 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Saban is like Belichick, he has no life, and will coach until his legs are worse than Pime Time's legs.
12-27-2023 01:08 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
No. Saban will go down like Bear Bryant. Coach until he's sick to death and has 2 months to live. Then he'll quit.
12-27-2023 01:17 AM
Advertisement

Garden_KC Offline
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
Saban I bet retires win or lose.

2024 is going to be a different animal with UT/OU in the SEC plus the 12 team playoff.
12-27-2023 03:30 AM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
I do not know the man personally and I am biased as a fan of a rival school, but I think that Saban chooses that route (retiring after the season, especially a natty), rather than announcing "this is my last year." It might not be this season, but I think he chooses that way at least in part to make it hard for Alabama to replace him from the outside. Alabama would then have to promote Rees or Steele rather than getting the big name. Of course Alabama can fire anyone at any time to get the guy they want.
12-27-2023 09:28 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
Alabama has a game at West Virginia (his home state) in 2026 and I think he’ll stick around for that.

Yes, he is 72 but seems to be in pretty decent health. Bryant chain smoked unfiltered cigarettes and drank heavily. He was lucky to live as long as he did. Saban doesn’t drink or smoke. (Does chew tobacco).

I think when he retires he will announce it ahead of time to let the university do a full coaching search. Rees has never been a head coach before and has only been here a year. Steele has a record of 9-36 and will be 66 in March. No way either gets the job right now.
12-27-2023 10:10 AM
Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
I've wondered this too. He's had more visible fun this year than any other I've ever seen, smiling and laughing with a cigar in his hand after the Tennessee win for instance. That much of a change could well mean he's nearing the end. Or it could mean the opposite, that he's found a way to enjoy himself that he wasn't able to in the past and if he's having fun he may have no end in sight.

With the 12 team playoff on the way I think he'll stick around.
12-27-2023 10:11 AM
Advertisement

Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
Houston Texans coach will be the next coach at Tuscaloosa.

Saban will retire when he is ready or just die on the sidelines. Seems to be at the top of coaches at this time so no need to quit when your still one of the best.
12-27-2023 10:25 AM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Coaching is the only job he knows and he obviously enjoys it. Is he really ready just to play golf and run errands for Miss Terry? Doesn't seem like it.
12-27-2023 11:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I could see Saban taking over for Corso on GameDay.
12-27-2023 12:26 PM
Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
(12-27-2023 10:25 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  Houston Texans coach will be the next coach at Tuscaloosa.

Saban will retire when he is ready or just die on the sidelines. Seems to be at the top of coaches at this time so no need to quit when your still one of the best.

Nobody's a bigger Bama homer than me, but successful NFL coaches, which Ryans certainly seems to be early in his career, don't leave for college jobs.
12-27-2023 12:54 PM
Advertisement

unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
(12-27-2023 03:30 AM)Garden_KC Wrote:  Saban I bet retires win or lose.

2024 is going to be a different animal with UT/OU in the SEC plus the 12 team playoff.

Saban will thrive in the 12-team playoff. The Tide hasn’t finished outside the Top 12 in the past 16 seasons under him.
12-27-2023 03:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
He s/ take a retirement job at Toledo. If he was that good he could win Toledo a national championship 05-stirthepot

Or go to the NFL
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023 08:58 AM by Bronco'14.)
12-28-2023 08:57 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(12-26-2023 10:01 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...I've been seeing lots of stuff on FB (03-drunk) indicating this, 'confirmation' from his daughter (again, 03-drunk ) that if Bama wins it all this year, Saban steps down...

...the ONLY thing which MAY lend credence to this is... well, Saban is 72, albeit a quite spry 72 - no doubt he could coach 4-5 more years at least.
ALSO, I KNOW he just isn't a fan of the NIL / Portal era of things, even tho Bama will not be adversely affected by it, but it's just more stuff to hassle with for him.
AND, there's also no doubt that Nick seems to be overall a LOT more 'at ease' these past few seasons, especially this year, at least away from the sidelines - makes you wonder if he's thinking it will be a perfect endingto his career to go out on top...

Just wondering if y'all have any 'take' on this, especially our Crimson folks...

THIS HAD LEGS. GreenFreakUAB called it.
01-10-2024 05:28 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
Apparently he's calling it a career if he loses to Michigan.
01-10-2024 09:21 PM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(01-10-2024 05:28 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(12-26-2023 10:01 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...I've been seeing lots of stuff on FB (03-drunk) indicating this, 'confirmation' from his daughter (again, 03-drunk ) that if Bama wins it all this year, Saban steps down...

THIS HAD LEGS. GreenFreakUAB called it.

...well, the "even a blind squirrel" mantra applies here 03-drunk, but... I guess there seemed to be a few signs 'locally' that were interesting, even tho 99% of things come from 'spotty sources', to say the least.

I DO have a bud from high school who was a student manager for the Bama BBall team back in the late 80's (during Wimp's best run, including the team that got beat out in the tourney by Pittino's Providence (FF team w/Donovan playing)), so he has a bit of 'inside' knowledge (still has 'buds' within the AD in T-town), at least more than the 'average Bammer on the street'... ironically, we had lunch just before Christmas with a few other old HS buds, and he was showing pics of how he was recently allowed to enter the private office of Saban - which, according to him, was a nearly impossible thing for ANYone to do, even high-level staffers... may just have been a 'fluke thing', but that somehow got me to thinking things may be winding down for Saban, not sure why (I doubt anyone knew anything (even Saban) at that time), but just that 'vibe'... The overall changes in the landscape (NIL, Transfer, expansion, etc.) had to be a factor in his decision... not that he coudn't adjust, but... just more hassle, and more adjustments required to 'The Process', I guess... 03-phew

In any event, I've rooted vehemently against Saban for years, but respect the heck out of what he accomplished - he was one of those rare coaches who forced the entirety of CFB to 'up their game', which for better or worse has seemed to happen... no doubt he is the GOAT.

...altho, as a UAB fan, it just seems a bit odd that Saban will always be 0-1 against that UAB coaching legend Watson Brown (I was there! UAB13-LSU10 in 2000 (hey, I HAD to work that in, right? 04-cheers ))
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2024 11:02 AM by GreenFreakUAB.)
01-11-2024 11:01 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Answer to question is No. but if he doesn't win one for the 3rd year in a row he is out.
01-11-2024 11:03 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(01-11-2024 11:03 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Answer to question is No. but if he doesn't win one for the 3rd year in a row he is out.

...yeah, the 'original title' for this thread did not materialize, and if anything, I figured he would try a few more years to grab that one last NC... ...but I think he's just ready to relax... they just completed their 'retirement house' or whatever, somewhere, which is always an interesting 'marker' for impending retirement...

...the ONLY intersting thing is he retires with 292 wins... may be the engineer in me, but it would seem like he would have stayed one more year just to get over the 300 mark (stat geek time) - it just would seem a bit more 'complete' or whatever...
01-11-2024 11:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.