Valid concerns?
12-27-2023 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ess Offline
1st String

I Root For: The individual
RE: "We have reached the breaking point"
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2023 07:51 PM by ess.)
12-27-2023 07:49 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(12-27-2023 06:39 PM)ess Wrote:  Mayor Eric Adams

I feel dirty clicking on the extremist, far-right twitter account "End Wokeness".

But that aside, sure, this is probably an area where Biden is most vulnerable and needs to be prepared heading into 2024, as railing against migrant immigrants was a catalyst to Trump winning in 2016. Portions of major city blocks turning into tent cities cannot be a good look.

And obviously there will be no nuance among the right wing. They'll continue to brand them as "murderers" and "rapists" and the Hitler-esque "Poisoning the blood of America."
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2023 09:38 PM by Motown Bronco.)
12-27-2023 09:04 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Side note, isn't it at least a little bit refreshing that Democratic* mayors can openly discuss things that may appear critical to the Democratic President? Whereas they needn't worry about Biden rant-tweeting at 3 am calling them DINOs and mobs calling for their ouster?

(* Although for a while now, Eric Adams has had the unique situation of being disliked by both Republicans and Democrats - his approval rating is in the toilet).
12-27-2023 09:47 PM
ess Offline
1st String

(12-27-2023 09:47 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Side note, isn't it at least a little bit refreshing that Democratic* mayors can openly discuss things that may appear critical to the Democratic President?

Agreed.

Quote:But that aside, sure, this is probably an area where Biden is most vulnerable and needs to be prepared heading into 2024, as railing against migrant immigrants was a catalyst to Trump winning in 2016. Portions of major city blocks turning into tent cities cannot be a good look.

Anyone think this issue is something more than "a bad look going into an election year"?
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023 06:17 AM by ess.)
12-28-2023 06:11 AM
ess Offline
1st String

(12-27-2023 09:04 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  And obviously there will be no nuance among the right wing. They'll continue to brand them as "murderers" and "rapists" and the Hitler-esque "Poisoning the blood of America."

Yes

Obviously
12-28-2023 08:00 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-28-2023 08:00 PM)ess Wrote:  
(12-27-2023 09:04 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  And obviously there will be no nuance among the right wing. They'll continue to brand them as "murderers" and "rapists" and the Hitler-esque "Poisoning the blood of America."

Yes

Obviously

“Both sides”

Lol
12-29-2023 04:54 AM
ess Offline
1st String

(12-29-2023 04:54 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
(12-28-2023 08:00 PM)ess Wrote:  

Yes

Obviously

“Both sides”

Lol

Huh?

"Both sides"....?

Obvious MAGA in that video.

Not "us" (virtuous)

"Them"...(deplorable) !!!
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2023 06:35 AM by ess.)
12-29-2023 06:26 AM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
None of this matters when we have one candidate that wants to end our democracy and one that doesn't.

If Hitler had said that we shouldn't allow immigrants would that be a reason to vote for a dictator?
01-01-2024 07:47 PM
ess Offline
1st String

(01-01-2024 07:47 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  None of this matters.....

Apparently it matters to Eric Adams, Brandon Johnson, and Teresa Haley.
01-02-2024 04:46 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

(01-02-2024 04:46 PM)ess Wrote:  
(01-01-2024 07:47 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  None of this matters.....

Apparently it matters to Eric Adams, Brandon Johnson, and Teresa Haley.

Ask them if they would prefer to have all these immigrants come in, or our democracy ends and see which they pick. Trump didn't stop the immigration either, nor did he ever build his precious wall.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2024 09:36 AM by NIU007.)
01-05-2024 09:23 AM
Advertisement

ess Offline
1st String

(01-05-2024 09:23 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  Ask them if they would prefer to have all these immigrants come in, or our democracy ends and see which they pick. Trump didn't stop the immigration either, nor did he ever build his precious wall.

A thread on immigration.

10 posts.

Not one by a Trump supporter.

Not one promoting Donald Trump.

Not one promoting any Republican policy.

NIU007:......"but Trump - end of our democracy"

Have you at least CONSIDERED the option of counseling?
01-05-2024 04:21 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

(01-05-2024 04:21 PM)ess Wrote:  
(01-05-2024 09:23 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  Ask them if they would prefer to have all these immigrants come in, or our democracy ends and see which they pick. Trump didn't stop the immigration either, nor did he ever build his precious wall.

A thread on immigration.

10 posts.

Pretty much every thread I've seen on immigration implies that Biden is the problem. Most people on the right were not posting about immigration problems when Trump was Prez, even though the problem was just as bad. That's why I brought up Trump.

As far as counseling, you first.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024 10:43 AM by NIU007.)
01-08-2024 10:42 AM
Brownandgoldlaker Offline
1st String

I Root For: westernmichigan
(01-08-2024 10:42 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

A thread on immigration.

10 posts.

Pretty much every thread I've seen on immigration implies that Biden is the problem. Most people on the right were not posting about immigration problems when Trump was Prez, even though the problem was just as bad. That's why I brought up Trump.

There was/is a BIG difference in immigration enforcement policies/proposals between the two administrations and the numbers do not lie (but the media does and so the "sheep" naturally will follow):

From U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site, "Total CBP Enforcement Actions":

2017-21 Trump/3,004,925, avg. 751,231 per yr.
2021-23 Biden/7,924,245, avg. 2,641,415 per yr.

2024 YTD 617,865

Numbers do not include "known got ways", which is also 3 times higher under a Biden administration, 1.5 million vs under Trump 415,000.

One must also assume the "un-known" got aways are also higher.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024 12:44 PM by Brownandgoldlaker.)
01-08-2024 12:23 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Probably worth additional context here.

First, yes, the number of those even trying to cross the border has increased sharply under Biden, like 5x. Maybe it was COVID or Trump's discouraging rhetoric (or combo thereof), but the Trump Administration simply had less flow overall to confront.

Interestingly, the percentage of immigrants encountered that were released (as opposed to expelled) was higher under Trump (52%) than Biden (49%). But again the overall volume has been higher under Biden.

I said this in another thread: This, along with maybe inflation unless it continues to go down, will be the top thing the GOP will hammer the Democrats on, and 'D' better be ready for it.

The GOP has widespread backing of stricter border control, even among moderates and indies, and they can pound this home and have some success.

And it's a mistake for Democrats to think a ton of US Hispanics have some emotional kinship connection to migrants and recoil at conservatives' slurs thrown at them. In actuality, not many do.
01-08-2024 01:19 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

(01-08-2024 12:23 PM)Brownandgoldlaker Wrote:  
(01-08-2024 10:42 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

A thread on immigration.

10 posts.

There was/is a BIG difference in immigration enforcement policies/proposals between the two administrations and the numbers do not lie (but the media does and so the "sheep" naturally will follow):

From U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site, "Total CBP Enforcement Actions":

2017-21 Trump/3,004,925, avg. 751,231 per yr.
2021-23 Biden/7,924,245, avg. 2,641,415 per yr.

2024 YTD 617,865

Numbers do not include "known got ways", which is also 3 times higher under a Biden administration, 1.5 million vs under Trump 415,000.

One must also assume the "un-known" got aways are also higher.

I stand corrected, thanks.
01-08-2024 01:30 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Online
Legend

(01-08-2024 01:19 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Probably worth additional context here.

First, yes, the number of those even trying to cross the border has increased sharply under Biden, like 5x. Maybe it was COVID or Trump's discouraging rhetoric (or combo thereof), but the Trump Administration simply had less flow overall to confront.

Interestingly, the percentage of immigrants encountered that were released (as opposed to expelled) was higher under Trump (52%) than Biden (49%). But again the overall volume has been higher under Biden.

I said this in another thread: This, along with maybe inflation unless it continues to go down, will be the top thing the GOP will hammer the Democrats on, and 'D' better be ready for it.

The GOP has widespread backing of stricter border control, even among moderates and indies, and they can pound this home and have some success.

And it's a mistake for Democrats to think a ton of US Hispanics have some emotional kinship connection to migrants and recoil at conservatives' slurs thrown at them. In actuality, not many do.

Yea it seems like the polls show Hispanics not nearly as in favor of a bunch of immigration as Democrats seem to think (or want).
01-08-2024 01:31 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Thing is, I'm not even necessarily opposed to tighter border control (though the whole wall idea is impractical and dopey), coupled with reasonable immigration reform and easier legit path to citizenship.

But the language right out of Mein Kampf used to describe migrants should frighten anyone, whether it's on social media or by a former POTUS. And naïve me believed US Hispanics (and immigrants overall) would be more offended by such language than they are. Just blows my mind.

It's understandable that people brazenly breaking the law to come over can bother people. And yeah, a sliver of them will continue to act on the wrong side of the law.

But the vast majority are desperate and are just willing to pick tomatoes or clean motel rooms - things native Americans shun doing - to piece together a decent form of living.
01-08-2024 02:07 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(01-08-2024 02:07 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Thing is, I'm not even necessarily opposed to tighter border control (though the whole wall idea is impractical and dopey), coupled with reasonable immigration reform and easier legit path to citizenship.

But the language right out of Mein Kampf used to describe migrants should frighten anyone, whether it's on social media or by a former POTUS. And naïve me believed US Hispanics (and immigrants overall) would be more offended by such language than they are. Just blows my mind.

It's understandable that people brazenly breaking the law to come over can bother people. And yeah, a sliver of them will continue to act on the wrong side of the law.

But the vast majority are desperate and are just willing to pick tomatoes or clean motel rooms - things native Americans shun doing - to piece together a decent form of living.

^ What he said.
01-08-2024 02:11 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

(01-08-2024 02:07 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Thing is, I'm not even necessarily opposed to tighter border control (though the whole wall idea is impractical and dopey), coupled with reasonable immigration reform and easier legit path to citizenship.

I did think that Hispanics that are recent immigrants would have more empathy for the plight of other Hispanics just now trying to enter the country, but it doesn't seem that way, at least to the extent that I thought. Then again, I'm not sure the polls nowadays are that accurate so the reality may be a bit different.
01-08-2024 02:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.