Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Future of the Citrus/Tampa Bowls
Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
Future of the Citrus/Tampa Bowls
Both the Citrus and Outback (new name I don’t recall) survived as NYD bowls after the CFP started. Hard to believe that continues once there’ll be a playoff game happening in that early window. Has anything been announced yet?
12-31-2023 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
RE: Future of the Citrus/Tampa Bowls
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Tampa/Orlando as mid-December playoff sites under the next contract. IF the CFP uses neutral sites, they’ll try and keep a rotating roster.

Tampa/Orlando may continue to host New Years events. There are significant B1G/SEC alumni bases that don’t care about the playoff so much as the vacation.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2023 03:14 PM by Crayton.)
12-31-2023 03:13 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
The question would some of these cities that are hosting P5 conferences, and seeing their hometown schools not be part of the P5 conferences would allow them to come to their cities anymore? Or would they boycott to get UCF, USF, UTEP, UTSA, Memphis, Tulane, UAB, TCU/SMU/North Texas, UNLV, Navy, Charlotte, San Diego State, Houston, Boston College, Stony Brook, North Florida (if they add football) to ever play there again if they don't get an invite to the P2?
12-31-2023 03:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(12-31-2023 03:31 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  The question would some of these cities that are hosting P5 conferences, and seeing their hometown schools not be part of the P5 conferences would allow them to come to their cities anymore? Or would they boycott to get UCF, USF, UTEP, UTSA, Memphis, Tulane, UAB, TCU/SMU/North Texas, UNLV, Navy, Charlotte, San Diego State, Houston, Boston College, Stony Brook, North Florida (if they add football) to ever play there again if they don't get an invite to the P2?

No.
12-31-2023 03:32 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Why would anything change with the Orlando or Tampa bowls? If anything they.need more bowls around New Years because 2 of the NY6 bowls are moving to mid-January for the CFP semi-finals.

Right now the top 12 teams go to NY6 bowls. Next year the the top 12 teams go to the CFP.
The CFP will probably play 2 quarterfinal games on NYD and the other 2 semifinal games on a Saturday close to NYD.

That still leaves an early time slot on NYD for the Orlando and Tampa bowls.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2023 04:05 PM by goofus.)
12-31-2023 04:03 PM
johnbragg Offline

(12-31-2023 04:03 PM)goofus Wrote:  Why would anything change with the Orlando or Tampa bowls? If anything they.need more bowls because 2 of the NY6 bowls are moving to mid-January.

Right now the top 12 teams go to NY6 bowls. Next year the the top 12 teams go to the CFP.
The CFP will probably play 2 quarterfinal games on NYD and the other 2 semifinal games on the closest Saturday to NYD.

I think it's more likely you see 3 quarterfinals on New Years Day
The NFL has claimed that Saturday
12-31-2023 04:06 PM
Advertisement

Just Joe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bama
(12-31-2023 04:03 PM)goofus Wrote:  Why would anything change with the Orlando or Tampa bowls? If anything they.need more bowls around New Years because 2 of the NY6 bowls are moving to mid-January for the CFP semi-finals.

The CFP will probably play 2 quarterfinal games on NYD and the other 2 semifinal games on a Saturday close to NYD.

2025 & 2026 are already set. One game on NYE and three on NYD.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/...dates.aspx

Leaving these games on NYD makes it likely they’ll be competing with the early playoff game, unless they go to early morning starts like the Cotton did for a few years.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2023 04:10 PM by Just Joe.)
12-31-2023 04:10 PM
johnbragg Offline

(12-31-2023 04:10 PM)Just Joe Wrote:  
(12-31-2023 04:03 PM)goofus Wrote:  Why would anything change with the Orlando or Tampa bowls? If anything they.need more bowls around New Years because 2 of the NY6 bowls are moving to mid-January for the CFP semi-finals.

Leaving these games on NYD makes it likely they’ll be competing with the early playoff game, unless they go to early morning starts like the Cotton did for a few years.

I think ESPN moves the non CFP bowls off of New Years Day.
They're not paying CFP money to split that audience
12-31-2023 04:17 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I think both (and Gator) will continue to pitch themselves as playoff bowls. Beyond that, it’s hard to say where their future lies. It doesn’t make sense to remain on NYD—not that either of these bowls have the history to be there anyway.
12-31-2023 04:27 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(12-31-2023 02:24 PM)Just Joe Wrote:  Both the Citrus and Outback (new name I don’t recall) survived as NYD bowls after the CFP started. Hard to believe that continues once there’ll be a playoff game happening in that early window. Has anything been announced yet?

Both Citrus and Outback (Cheez It and Reliaquest will survive)

Here is the Proposed Bowl games and a 12 team playoff for this year.

2024 quarterfinals: Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl
2024 semifinals: Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl

(2025 quarterfinals: Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, 2025 semifinals: Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl)

The CFP schedule for the 2024 and 2025 seasons: (with pac12 no more, it may go 5-7 instead of 6+6)

2024 CFP Schedule
First round- Dec. 20-21
Quarterfinals- Fiesta Bowl | Dec. 31 & Peach, Rose, Sugar Bowl |Jan. 1
Semifinals - Orange Bowl | Jan. 9 & Cotton Bowl | Jan. 10
National Championship Atlanta, GA | Jan. 20

2025 CFP Schedule
First round - Dec. 19-20
Quarterfinals - Cotton Bowl | Dec 31 & Orange, Rose, Sugar Bowls | Jan. 1
Semifinals - Fiesta Bowl | Jan. 8 & Peach Bowl | Semifinals Jan. 9
National Championship - Miami, FL | Jan. 19

So here is what First round would have looked like this year:

No. 12 Liberty at No. 5 Florida State
No. 11 Ole Miss at No. 6 Georgia
No. 10 Penn State at No. 7 Ohio State
No. 9 Missouri at No. 8 Oregon
No.1-4 Bye (bama, Mich, Texas, Washington)

Link
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic...edule-bids

What does this all mean for the Citrus and Outback Bowls?? Not much, it will still be a Non NY6 Bowl, worst case they play on a different date.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2023 05:02 PM by GTFletch.)
12-31-2023 05:00 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
wear and tier on fan bases travelling and paying for playoff's will start affecting bowl atten'
eventally it will start making it's way down to other bowls.

yrs ago Div1AA wanted to move from playoffs to bowl games
because travell was wearing their fan bases out

didn't i read Ga did not sell their allotment to Orange bowl
their fan's took break from all the travell last couple yrs
12-31-2023 06:17 PM
Advertisement

GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
If I had to guess, they'd push to play on NYE in the late afternoon slot before the quarterfinal game, maybe the Saturday before.
12-31-2023 08:03 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I think most of the current bowls survive. The expanded CFP isn't really sucking up any more teams. It basically means the 12 teams in the NY6 games will now be in the playoff games.

So we could still have say #14 LSU vs #18 Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl, or whatever, like this year.

I do think it likely that these other bowls will be moved away from the playoffs a bit, to make the playoffs more distinctive.
12-31-2023 08:18 PM
BubWV Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: The Herd | ‘Eers | Tech
I wonder for the four first round games if they’ll use bowls in place for them as well? Say perhaps the Citrus, Gator, Outback, Alamo, and Holiday Bowls.

Tier 1 - Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, Peach

Tier 2 - Citrus, Gator, Outback, Alamo, Holiday/Pop Tarts
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2023 09:37 PM by BubWV.)
12-31-2023 09:37 PM
TUowl06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple/DePaul/K-State
(12-31-2023 09:37 PM)BubWV Wrote:  I wonder for the four first round games if they’ll use bowls in place for
them as well? Say perhaps the Citrus, Gator, Outback, Alamo, and Holiday Bowls.

The Sun Bowl has historical significance and provides great theater. I think it has enough clout to remain relevant should the bowl system remain.
12-31-2023 09:51 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(12-31-2023 09:37 PM)BubWV Wrote:  I wonder for the four first round games if they’ll use bowls in place for them as well? Say perhaps the Citrus, Gator, Outback, Alamo, and Holiday Bowls.

Higher seeds will host first-round games on campus.
12-31-2023 09:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
For the 2024 season (January 2025), New Year's Day is on a Wednesday. Since we know that the playoff games will run on 12/31 and 1/1, I would not be surprised to see the Citrus and ReliaQuest bowls played in primetime on January 2 and January 3. The worst that can happen is that Fox programs the Holiday Bowl opposite one of those games.

For the 2025 season (January 2026), New Year's Day is on a Thursday. This cuts down on one of the primetime slots, but so far the NFL only has two games on Saturday (4:30 PM and 8:15 PM ET), so one of them could have a 1:00 PM or earlier kickoff on Saturday, January 3.

For the 2026 season (January 2027), I would expect both of them to move to New Year's Eve as lead-ins to the first quarterfinal on New Year's Eve.
12-31-2023 09:57 PM
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(12-31-2023 08:18 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I think most of the current bowls survive. The expanded CFP isn't really sucking up any more teams. It basically means the 12 teams in the NY6 games will now be in the playoff games.

So we could still have say #14 LSU vs #18 Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl, or whatever, like this year.

I do think it likely that these other bowls will be moved away from the playoffs a bit, to make the playoffs more distinctive.

Yeah, the only major difference is many of the bowls will be playing on a different date.
12-31-2023 10:03 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(12-31-2023 04:17 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-31-2023 04:10 PM)Just Joe Wrote:  

I think ESPN moves the non CFP bowls off of New Years Day.
They're not paying CFP money to split that audience

Yeah - I do think the Citrus and ReliaQuest get moved to maybe New Years Eve or another date close to NYD (but not on it). The Citrus has already moved to NYE once in 2016.

Now, I would say that Orlando and Tampa are two top destinations for the Christmas to New Years vacation week specifically, so it wouldn’t make sense to move them to a wildly different date. Moving it a day or two (e.g. as the lead-in games to the non-NYD playoff game) makes a lot more sense.
01-01-2024 01:20 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
There are time slots that have been filled by NY6 bowls that will need to be filled by different bowls since all of the NY6 Bowls will be part of the quarter and semifinals. For instance, this season the Cotton Bowl was played on Friday night and the Peach and Orange Bowls were played on Saturday afternoon. The NFL grabbed the Saturday night slot. In the future, these slots would be available for the Citrus and Reliaquest.

In 2024, there should be slots open on the evening of Friday, December 26 and the afternoon of Saturday, December 27. ESPN may also want a strong lead in for the quarterfinal Fiesta Bowl on December 31 and/or a Noon or 11 am kickoff on January 1.

In 2025, there should be slots open on the evening of Friday, December 27, the afternoon of Saturday, December 28, and the evening of Tuesday, December 30. Again, ESPN may want a lead in for the quarterfinal Cotton Bowl on December 31 and/or a Noon or 11 am kickoff on January 1.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2024 08:14 AM by orangefan.)
01-01-2024 01:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.