Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Th Future Of College Football
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
Exclamation Th Future Of College Football
Quote:Welcome to the end of college football as we know it

This is just one opinion, but consolidates a number of opinions, including what has been discussed here on various threads.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/06/opinions/...index.html
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2024 11:44 AM by ODUalum78.)
01-06-2024 11:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MrNoone Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: odu
RE: Th Future Of College Football
I think Jarret had it right with the selective excellence approach. I would love to know how he feels about the job Wood has done here, the death of our wrestling program and what we have sacrificed in order to field this bottom feeding football team.
01-06-2024 12:32 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
Another opinion.
Quote:Paul Finebaum Says Two Iconic College Football Programs Will Never Return To Greatness

https://athlonsports.com/college-footbal...-greatness
01-06-2024 02:10 PM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

I lost interest in "Major" college football years ago. I like what the Sun Belt offers but this NIL and Portal may kill my interest in even ODU Football.
01-07-2024 06:28 PM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Just watched the FCS championship. It was great to see “real” college football again. Those guys play for all the right reasons, and have heart, character and a team mentality. It made me miss the pre transfer/NIL days, as well as our glory days.
01-07-2024 06:55 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(01-07-2024 06:55 PM)monarx Wrote:  Just watched the FCS championship. It was great to see “real” college football again. Those guys play for all the right reasons, and have heart, character and a team mentality. It made me miss the pre transfer/NIL days, as well as our glory days.

You do realize they have NIL in FCS and are losing players to higher paying programs too?
01-07-2024 09:46 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(01-06-2024 12:32 PM)MrNoone Wrote:  I think Jarret had it right with the selective excellence approach. I would love to know how he feels about the job Wood has done here, the death of our wrestling program and what we have sacrificed in order to field this bottom feeding football team.

I thought going to the bowl game would bring ODU back, but we have not been good in getting major recruits and the big loss is all the experience we lost, so far in the portal. JMU just signed 3 P5 player’s from big schools. Hopefully it will get better before signing is over.
01-07-2024 09:56 PM
Advertisement

Stat Geek Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(01-07-2024 06:55 PM)monarx Wrote:  Just watched the FCS championship. It was great to see “real” college football again. Those guys play for all the right reasons, and have heart, character and a team mentality. It made me miss the pre transfer/NIL days, as well as our glory days.
Lol- those dudes would jump to FBS in a second
01-07-2024 10:07 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-07-2024 09:56 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(01-06-2024 12:32 PM)MrNoone Wrote:  I think Jarret had it right with the selective excellence approach. I would love to know how he feels about the job Wood has done here, the death of our wrestling program and what we have sacrificed in order to field this bottom feeding football team.

I thought going to the bowl game would bring ODU back, but we have not been good in getting major recruits and the big loss is all the experience we lost, so far in the portal. JMU just signed 3 P5 player’s from big schools. Hopefully it will get better before signing is over.

ECU seems to be doing quite well in the portal as well. Just got an OL guy from FSU.
01-07-2024 11:08 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-07-2024 09:46 PM)Monarchist13 Wrote:  

You do realize they have NIL in FCS and are losing players to higher paying programs too?

I do, but it doesn’t seem to happen as often. It was nice seeing the SDS guys talking about how so many had played together for years, and teamwork etc. I got the sense they cared about the team and their teammates more than positioning themselves for some NIL deal in the future. And knowing those guys aren’t out there just to make hundreds of thousands, or millions was cool. Maybe it’s because all that is less likely for guys at that level, but it was refreshing.
01-07-2024 11:14 PM
Advertisement

ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(01-07-2024 06:28 PM)ODUODUODU Wrote:  I lost interest in "Major" college football years ago. I like what the Sun Belt offers but this NIL and Portal may kill my interest in even ODU Football.

NIL/transfer portal shouldnt dictate your interest/fanhood in ODU football. ODU football existed before the days of NIL. Be upset at the broken system which is something out of ODUs control.
01-08-2024 12:03 AM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(01-07-2024 11:08 PM)monarx Wrote:  

ECU seems to be doing quite well in the portal as well. Just got an OL guy from FSU.

They also picked up a P5 QB and a couple of P5 receivers. JMU has picked up some P5 talent the last few days too. Meanwhile, ODU is celebrating over a walk-on player from a lower level school while a mass exodus is occurring with the roster.
01-08-2024 12:04 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2024 12:04 AM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  
(01-07-2024 11:08 PM)monarx Wrote:  

They also picked up a P5 QB and a couple of P5 receivers. JMU has picked up some P5 talent the last few days too. Meanwhile, ODU is celebrating over a walk-on player from a lower level school while a mass exodus is occurring with the roster.
Was hoping for that first win over the Pirates next year seeing as they were awful this year. But things change quickly nowadays. We’ve lost a ton and they’ve gained a ton. I guess we’ll just have to see what happens between now and then.
01-08-2024 12:22 AM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

(01-08-2024 12:03 AM)ODURallyFox Wrote:  
(01-07-2024 06:28 PM)ODUODUODU Wrote:  I lost interest in "Major" college football years ago. I like what the Sun Belt offers but this NIL and Portal may kill my interest in even ODU Football.

NIL/transfer portal shouldnt dictate your interest/fanhood in ODU football. ODU football existed before the days of NIL. Be upset at the broken system which is something out of ODUs control.

I agree that this is out of ODU's control. I am upset at the new system. It remains to be seen if this new system causes me to loose interest in ODU Football. Maybe things will work out...
01-08-2024 07:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.