Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
CFP National Championship Game: #1 Michigan vs #2 Washington
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
CFP National Championship Game: #1 Michigan vs #2 Washington
It has been 135 days since Notre Dame and Navy kicked off the 2023 CFB season back on August 26. Now, we're down to the final two to decide the national title.

Go Huskies, beat Michigan!

PS - That's one reason I think we like CFB so much, we get so little of it.

I was looking at the English Premier League soccer schedule. They started on August 11 and finish on May 19. That's a 282 day season, meaning fans only have to wait about 12 weeks, 84 days, before the new season starts.

After today, we don't get an FBS game for 229 days.
01-08-2024 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: CFP National Championship Game: #1 Michigan vs #2 Washington
Useless Stat of the Day: Today's national championship is in Houston. The last time the national championship was held in the state of Texas was the very first year of the CFP and it was also the last time no SEC team played for the national championship.

I propose the national championship always be played in either Jerry World or Houston from now on:)
01-08-2024 10:08 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Washington looks every bit like a national champion, but it’s incredible pressure going up against America’s Team.

Michigan 27
Washington 26
01-08-2024 10:11 AM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
#1 vs. #2 for the NC, both undefeated so far. The way it should be. Good luck to both teams.
01-08-2024 10:12 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Rooting for Michigan to blow out Washington.

Then we announce Harbaugh to the Chargers.
Eventually the NCAA finds more evidence of cheating and this Michigan Season gets vacated.

Maximum Chaos!
01-08-2024 10:21 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-08-2024 10:21 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Rooting for Michigan to blow out Washington.

Eventually the NCAA finds more evidence of cheating and this Michigan Season gets vacated.

Maximum Chaos!

I would love that, LOL.
01-08-2024 10:22 AM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(01-08-2024 10:21 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Rooting for Michigan to blow out Washington.

Maximum Chaos!

I think Harbaugh is gone to the Chargers, win or lose tonight. The Chargers have too much talent to be where they are at. Plus, they have the No. 5 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, which I think should be Brock Bowers.

Michigan has a great front seven, but this Washington team will be the best offensive team they will see this season. Michigan has to be able to run the ball and they got to find a way to disrupt the passing attack. Washington has the best trio of wide receivers in college football and if Penix has time to find them, it will be a long night for Michigan. My heart is with Washington, but my head is with Michigan. Should be a great game.
01-08-2024 11:12 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-08-2024 10:11 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Washington looks every bit like a national champion, but it’s incredible pressure going up against America’s Team.

Michigan 27
Washington 26

Since when did the Cowboys get in the cfp?
01-08-2024 11:17 AM
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
(01-08-2024 11:17 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-08-2024 10:11 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Washington looks every bit like a national champion, but it’s incredible pressure going up against America’s Team.

Michigan 27
Washington 26

Since when did the Cowboys get in the cfp?

Exactly! 01-wingedeagle
01-08-2024 11:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Not going to watch
01-08-2024 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
IMO, the spread's too small. Michigan is a powerful team on both sides of the ball and are very solid as a team.

Washington has had so many close games. Although the P12 had it's best year in a long time, still. Their D isn't powerful, but their O is. Michigan's D is one of the best in the nation, and their O is very strong.

Washington can score a lot of points, but I wouldn't say it'd be an offense that Michigan's never faced; won't be like that. Michigan's D is too strong, and Washington's D is too weak to keep Michigan from climbing away from them.

IMO:

30% - Michigan very strongly controls the game (whether it be for half of it whipping them hard; or throughout controlling it quite readily; layouts vary)
25% - Michigan solidly wins and keeps them at arms-length thru the game
20% - Michigan wins in a close one
10% - Washington wins in a close one
10% - Washington solidly wins and keeps them at arms-length thru the game
5% - Washington very strongly controls the game
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024 02:04 PM by toddjnsn.)
01-08-2024 01:58 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-08-2024 01:58 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  IMO, the spread's too small. Michigan is a powerful team on both sides of the ball and are very solid as a team.

Washington has had so many close games. Although the P12 had it's best year in a long time, still. Their D isn't powerful, but their O is. Michigan's D is one of the best in the nation, and their O is very strong.

Washington can score a lot of points, but I wouldn't say it'd be an offense that Michigan's never faced; won't be like that. Michigan's D is too strong, and Washington's D is too weak to keep Michigan from climbing away from them.

IMO:

30% - Michigan very strongly controls the game (whether it be for half of it whipping them hard; or throughout controlling it quite readily; layouts vary)

Well I thought any of the 4 teams could have won. Washington keeps surprising me. Is this the time their defense finally costs them a game? They've had 10 wins in a row 10 points or less.

It could be Michigan stifling Pennix as they did Milroe. Pennix has a really quick release and quick decision making. And UW's O line is probably better than Alabama's O line. But it could be enough pressure to significantly slow them. I felt like Texas could score at will against UW, but penalties and fumbles and our QB just loosing his rhythm stopped a lot of our drives. Michigan might run all over Washington and score at will, while slowing UW, leading to a Michigan blowout.

On the other hand, it is really hard to slow Pennix down. Michigan doesn't have the offensive explosiveness like Texas or Alabama to win a scoring battle. UW could score early and often and Michigan could have to abandon its steady running and UW could blow Michigan out.

My best guess is a close game with Michigan slowing Pennix down just enough to win.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2024 03:25 PM by bullet.)
01-08-2024 02:23 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(01-08-2024 02:23 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-08-2024 01:58 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  IMO, the spread's too small. Michigan is a powerful team on both sides of the ball and are very solid as a team.

IMO:

Well I thought any of the 4 teams could have won. Washington keeps surprising me. Is this the time their defense finally costs them a game? They've had 10 wins in a row 10 points or less.

It could be Michigan stifling Pennix as they did Milroe. Pennis has a really quick release and quick decision making. And UW's O line is probably better than Alabama's O line. But it could be enough pressure to significantly slow them. I felt like Texas could score at will against UW, but penalties and fumbles and our QB just loosing his rhythm stopped a lot of our drives. Michigan might run all over Washington and score at will, while slowing UW, leading to a Michigan blowout.

On the other hand, it is really hard to slow Pennix down. Michigan doesn't have the offensive explosiveness like Texas or Alabama to win a scoring battle. UW could score early and often and Michigan could have to abandon its steady running and UW could blow Michigan out.

My best guess is a close game with Michigan slowing Pennis down just enough to win.

Washington keeps surprising me too. They always seem to do enough to win. Can they do it one more time?
01-08-2024 02:31 PM
BeepBeepJeep Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Vanderbilt
On one hand, you have advanced metrics, Vegas, and the eye test favoring Michigan.

On the other hand, you have Michigan (and largely the Big Ten) always coming in second, alongside Washington just doing enough to win.

I think first to 14 wins, because it'll tell us which offense is going to make their mark on the other defense.
01-08-2024 02:39 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I'm just rooting for an exciting game. I don't really care who wins.
01-08-2024 02:52 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Washington keeps surprising me too. They always seem to do enough to win. Can they do it one more time?

That's the problem, tho. They squeak out wins. Barely beat a number of under .500 P12 teams. Surprising in a bad way, as far as being in the Top 10, let alone Top 4.

My % chance of them winning is basically the same as ESPN's -- 25%. Hey, they're batting .250 by those odds. Not a shocker if they win; just a good surprise.

But comparatively speaking, as far as National Championships are expected to go -- it's lopsided, as I think one would expect it to be more like 60/40 at the most.
01-08-2024 03:31 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

No Coaches Room this year. Which is the best feed to watch the game?
01-08-2024 06:26 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
I like Michigan to cover. Think they’ll be able to control the line of scrimmage and the clock by running the ball all night.
01-08-2024 06:29 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
interesting what they said that this ACC crew calls a ton of PI. That could favor Washington for sure.
01-08-2024 06:36 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

The poor West Coast has a 4:30pm weekday start. How are we supposed to grow the sport if we're telling the West Coast they aren't valued?
01-08-2024 06:52 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.