ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Happened And Where Do We Go From Here?
MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Old Dominion
All of my kids grew up going to ODU BBALL games literally from birth on. I was a season ticket holder from 1993 until COVID. Before that - I attended all games as a student and went to the CAA Tourney every year. Every year. My kids grew up in the Big Blue Room - that was PACKED mind you - for every home game. Kids running around and having a blast. Young ODU families raising kids in the ODU culture. My kids were very young when ODU was rolling strong and so they have a hard time understanding just how good and how strong of a program ODU BBALL was compared to where we are now. When you think about the "Post Blaine Era" - it's been drab at best and horrible overall. We have fallen so far - it's just hard to believe. You take a fan base that is already aging and deliver 10+ years of bad performance and you do real damage to a fan base. You are not attracting new fans. Your student body isn't becoming life-long fans. ODAF is not benefitting. You are wiping out a fan base and a donor base that will be very tough to bring back into the fold. Winning does solve problems and the program can be restored - JMU is living proof. But you can't get back those years of donations. You can't get back those fans growing up and loving ODU Hoops. They might come to some games with Wins but we've lost the opportunity to make them life long fans. Based on our student body make up and the damage done to the program the past decade - I have real concerns for ODAF and the future. I don't see a growing donor base. I see a donor base in perpetual decline. Look around the stadium - I'd love to know the average age of fans. The program needs a complete overhaul and needs to be induced with new energy and enthusiasm. There is no other argument to be made. We are at the bottom and if changes aren't made - the future is grim for Old Dominion Basketball - which also impacts ODU Football/Baseball/Soccer and all of the Olympic Sports. Dramatic change has to come. I hope it does and I am generally optimistic - but it is hard right now.
01-12-2024 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU_NYG Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: What Happened And Where Do We Go From Here?
We need an administration that wants us to win. We don't have that now. From the president on down.
01-12-2024 11:35 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

(01-12-2024 11:20 AM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  All of my kids grew up going to ODU BBALL games literally from birth on. I was a season ticket holder from 1993 until COVID. Before that - I attended all games as a student and went to the CAA Tourney every year. Every year. My kids grew up in the Big Blue Room - that was PACKED mind you - for every home game. Kids running around and having a blast. Young ODU families raising kids in the ODU culture. My kids were very young when ODU was rolling strong and so they have a hard time understanding just how good and how strong of a program ODU BBALL was compared to where we are now. When you think about the "Post Blaine Era" - it's been drab at best and horrible overall. We have fallen so far - it's just hard to believe. You take a fan base that is already aging and deliver 10+ years of bad performance and you do real damage to a fan base. You are not attracting new fans. Your student body isn't becoming life-long fans. ODAF is not benefitting. You are wiping out a fan base and a donor base that will be very tough to bring back into the fold. Winning does solve problems and the program can be restored - JMU is living proof. But you can't get back those years of donations. You can't get back those fans growing up and loving ODU Hoops. They might come to some games with Wins but we've lost the opportunity to make them life long fans. Based on our student body make up and the damage done to the program the past decade - I have real concerns for ODAF and the future. I don't see a growing donor base. I see a donor base in perpetual decline. Look around the stadium - I'd love to know the average age of fans. The program needs a complete overhaul and needs to be induced with new energy and enthusiasm. There is no other argument to be made. We are at the bottom and if changes aren't made - the future is grim for Old Dominion Basketball - which also impacts ODU Football/Baseball/Soccer and all of the Olympic Sports. Dramatic change has to come. I hope it does and I am generally optimistic - but it is hard right now.

Sounds like the perfect letter to send to president, BOV, Dennis Elmer, Steve Ballard, Mitchum, and anyone else in admin -- not Selig -- that might give a damn. (if you can ID them). Well done.
01-12-2024 11:37 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(01-12-2024 11:37 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  
(01-12-2024 11:20 AM)MonarchsWon Wrote:  All of my kids grew up going to ODU BBALL games literally from birth on. I was a season ticket holder from 1993 until COVID. Before that - I attended all games as a student and went to the CAA Tourney every year. Every year. My kids grew up in the Big Blue Room - that was PACKED mind you - for every home game. Kids running around and having a blast. Young ODU families raising kids in the ODU culture. My kids were very young when ODU was rolling strong and so they have a hard time understanding just how good and how strong of a program ODU BBALL was compared to where we are now. When you think about the "Post Blaine Era" - it's been drab at best and horrible overall. We have fallen so far - it's just hard to believe. You take a fan base that is already aging and deliver 10+ years of bad performance and you do real damage to a fan base. You are not attracting new fans. Your student body isn't becoming life-long fans. ODAF is not benefitting. You are wiping out a fan base and a donor base that will be very tough to bring back into the fold. Winning does solve problems and the program can be restored - JMU is living proof. But you can't get back those years of donations. You can't get back those fans growing up and loving ODU Hoops. They might come to some games with Wins but we've lost the opportunity to make them life long fans. Based on our student body make up and the damage done to the program the past decade - I have real concerns for ODAF and the future. I don't see a growing donor base. I see a donor base in perpetual decline. Look around the stadium - I'd love to know the average age of fans. The program needs a complete overhaul and needs to be induced with new energy and enthusiasm. There is no other argument to be made. We are at the bottom and if changes aren't made - the future is grim for Old Dominion Basketball - which also impacts ODU Football/Baseball/Soccer and all of the Olympic Sports. Dramatic change has to come. I hope it does and I am generally optimistic - but it is hard right now.

Sounds like the perfect letter to send to president, BOV, Dennis Elmer, Steve Ballard, Mitchum, and anyone else in admin -- not Selig -- that might give a damn. (if you can ID them). Well done.

Unless he sends a six figure check with the letter, it'll get as much traction as posting it on here.
01-12-2024 11:42 AM
benny_t Online
All American

(01-12-2024 11:42 AM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(01-12-2024 11:37 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  

Unless he sends a six figure check with the letter, it'll get as much traction as posting it on here.

Which is why the whole "have you tried emailing those in control" crowd cracks me up. How many times has Wildman talked about not getting a response from the Athletic Department.

I will add on an addendum though. 6 figure check with the letter or a legitimate FOIA request will get you a response.
01-12-2024 12:01 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

This is exactly what the President, Wood and BOV just don’t seem to comprehend. And it’s the absolute truth. I’ve been saying the same for several years.
01-12-2024 12:33 PM
Advertisement

Vabirds Offline
2nd String

Same experience with my kids. I have had season tickets for 25 years and my kids grew up on ODU basketball. My son said last night while watching the Georgia State game and leading by 10, Dad you do know that ODU will lose this game, right? I said have some faith.....
01-12-2024 01:25 PM
monarchfan4life Offline
2nd String

I've been a season ticket holder since 1981. There are a great many of us die-hard fans who are getting up there in years, myself included. You cannot sustain a fan base if the product on the court is inferior year after year. I am at a critical juncture in my life where I have to decide whether I want to continue supporting the program with my donation and attendance, and I absolutely love the Monarchs! My decision will be based on what happens immediately following this dreadful season.
01-12-2024 01:27 PM
bit_9 Offline

I was that but not during school. Moved back in 08 and got season bball tix, went to the CAA tournaments, etc. My 1st two kids essentially grew up going to bball and football games. Sadly, I don't make it to many football games anymore because it conflicts with their sports schedules, but that's a given. But my son doesn't even watch the basketball games on tv with me anymore and doesn't want to go. Last night he came in and saw we were winning and said "it won't last." I was like ugh, you right.
01-12-2024 01:42 PM
mac Offline
All American

(01-12-2024 01:27 PM)monarchfan4life Wrote:  

I've been a season ticket holder since 1981. There are a great many of us die-hard fans who are getting up there in years, myself included. You cannot sustain a fan base if the product on the court is inferior year after year. I am at a critical juncture in my life where I have to decide whether I want to continue supporting the program with my donation and attendance, and I absolutely love the Monarchs! My decision will be based on what happens immediately following this dreadful season.

AND, you are one of the VERY BEST fans they have ever had. IF they make the right move following the season, my crew and I will be back, I assure you.
01-12-2024 01:57 PM
MonGNARch Online
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
It's been mentioned but to me it really does start at the top. When I got to ODU I was immersed in tradition and history of the basketball programs, both men's and women's. My cousin who goes to ODU now knows none of that, and it doesnt seem like too many students know nor care either.

We need an athletic department is aggressive and strives for ODU to be a program that is recognized and respected, and gives back to the students. During football season, I usually go to farmers markets around DC and to bars, I see every school out there, including young gradutes of JMU male and female crowding bars, wearign jerseys etc. I don't think I've seen a single other person walking around with ODU gear. Sometimes I'll get a shoutout but it's few adn far between. I hope that the Monarch Mayhem social media effort can be supported by the department and can grow, with members like the Maniacs were in my time.

We need a president, AD, and BOV that isn't content with where they are at, and actively try to not jsut raise money but build winning cultures around the board, which will make them money regardless. We need coaches who can elevate the programs, not just keep them mediocre. Football and MBB get the most attention and money, and in turn feed into the other sports. We do have decent sports across the board but if we can't compete and market our big 2 then it doesn't move the needle at all. I just feel like Wood and co are content with keeping the program small time and don't want the challenge of making it a premeire program liek some of out peers.

I feel like we are a broken record on this board talking about this. How can we, the fans, get this message across to the higher ups? I just feel like there has been a decline into mediocrity with no urgency to get it to a respectabel level.
01-12-2024 02:03 PM
Advertisement

monarchfan4life Offline
2nd String

(01-12-2024 01:57 PM)mac Wrote:  
(01-12-2024 01:27 PM)monarchfan4life Wrote:  

AND, you are one of the VERY BEST fans they have ever had. IF they make the right move following the season, my crew and I will be back, I assure you.

It would be so great to see you and your crew back in the Ted! Hoping!!
01-12-2024 02:10 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

It feels as if the people in charge simply do not care about our athletics program. And I sometimes wonder if they even care about campus culture and building Monarch pride at all. We are living on the fumes of the energy Dr Koch and Dr Runte brought to campus. It remains to be seen if Hemphill can bring it back. I’ve seen some things I like and things I don’t like. But I’ve seen nothing I like under him when it comes to athletics so far. Sometimes I think the state and people in charge just want ODU to be an online only school. It’s ridiculous when you consider the momentum ODU had in the 90s and 00s
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024 03:48 PM by monarx.)
01-12-2024 03:47 PM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(01-12-2024 03:47 PM)monarx Wrote:  It feels as if the people in charge simply do not care about our athletics program. And I sometimes wonder if they even care about campus culture and building Monarch pride at all. We are living on the fumes of the energy Dr Koch and Dr Runte brought to campus. It remains to be seen if Hemphill can bring it back. I’ve seen some things I like and things I don’t like. But I’ve seen nothing I like under him when it comes to athletics so far. Sometimes I think the state and people in charge just want ODU to be an online only school. It’s ridiculous when you consider the momentum ODU had in the 90s and 00s

No one on campus (President/BOV/AD) cares to build Monarch pride. For game days, they are all wearing their suits and bowties dressed for their wine and cheese social hours. When was the last time you saw President Hemphill or Wood Selig in the stands hanging with the fans or students? I would be impressed to see one of those guys actually wear a football/basketball jersey instead of a three piece suit. They do not support student involvement, and do not generate any momentum among the student body. Our program direction is very stale and is not cared about by the higher ups that only care about their wine and cheese.
01-12-2024 04:44 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

I believe the problem is narrow - capital allocation decisions for athletics.

1. Athletics has a great amount of administrative bloat. I'm sure the AD office would be fine with a less expensive overhead.

Virginia AD Salaries - https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/10/04/v...ions-more/
Whit Babcock, Virginia Tech athletic director: $911,737 total salary
Carla Williams, Virginia athletic director: $613,600
Wood Selig, Old Dominion athletic director: $571,603
Ed McLaughlin, VCU athletic director: $491,400
Jeff Bourne, James Madison athletic director: $309,750

2. Low salaries for coaches. ODU has received what it has paid for - see Jeff Jones.

3. Poor oversight and governance from the BOV and President's Office. There should be greater scrutiny to coaching hiring decisions and their compensation.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024 05:42 PM by monarchman.)
01-12-2024 05:36 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(01-12-2024 12:33 PM)monarx Wrote:  

This is exactly what the President, Wood and BOV just don’t seem to comprehend. And it’s the absolute truth. I’ve been saying the same for several years.

More than likely, they never see these comments. Employees close to them are probably afraid to bring it up, which might cause friction in their
Work place.
01-12-2024 06:25 PM
Advertisement

benny_t Online
All American

In both fan surveys during the football season there was an option for being contacted about the survey. In both I said yes, left phone and email. Haven't heard anything, has anyone else? Also wonder if there will be a fan survey for basketball?
01-12-2024 06:33 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(01-12-2024 05:36 PM)monarchman Wrote:  I believe the problem is narrow - capital allocation decisions for athletics.

1. Athletics has a great amount of administrative bloat. I'm sure the AD office would be fine with a less expensive overhead.

2. Low salaries for coaches. ODU has received what it has paid for - see Jeff Jones.

3. Poor oversight and governance from the BOV and President's Office. There should be greater scrutiny to coaching hiring decisions and their compensation.

Let’s just say, Wood is the highest paid AD that is not in the ACC. What a waste of money! VCU (A10) is in a better conference & JMU is nationally known in both football and basketball. Those AD’s don’t touch Wood’s bloated salary.
01-12-2024 06:42 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

Woody getting paid 571,603 is just disgusting on so many levels. 03-puke
01-12-2024 08:23 PM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

(01-12-2024 05:36 PM)monarchman Wrote:  I believe the problem is narrow - capital allocation decisions for athletics.

How Wood makes more than the JMU AD is beyond me. Their AD is an absolute bargain price.

You get what you pay for when it comes to coaches salaries/coaching staff budgets. As one can see in our top 2 sports, we are getting average to poor results. Our school is clearly trying to penny pinch and not trying to invest in any big names in our top 2 sports.
01-12-2024 08:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.