I Root For: ASU
UNC and NC State to be formally tied at the hip
NORTH CAROLINA
UNC System president, board could stop UNC, NC State from changing conferences
Tags: UNC, NC State, conference realignment
Posted January 19, 2024 3:07 p.m. EST
Updated January 19, 2024 3:38 p.m. EST

By Brian Murphy, WRAL

North Carolina or NC State won't be able to leave the ACC without approval from the UNC System president and its board of governors under a proposal to be considered by the board next week.

The policy change would allow either the president or the board of governors to stop a conference change. It comes at a time when Florida State is challenging the conference in court and the biggest brands in college athletics are concentrating in two major conferences — the SEC and the Big Ten.

An initial draft of the policy change was first considered in October. It would have given the president "the opportunity to weigh in."

The current version gives the president and board explicit power to approve or thwart a move.

The proposal — a change to the "Policy on Intercollegiate Athletics" — is on the agenda for next week's Board of Governors' meeting in Raleigh. It will first be considered by the university governance committee.

Chancellors must give the UNC System president "advance notice prior to executing any agreement which would result in the constituent institution’s transfer, removal, or joining of an athletic conference association. The notice to the president shall include for the president’s approval or disapproval a financial plan related to the proposed action."

If the president approves the financial plan, the board would then get a chance to weigh in and could vote no.

"If the Board of Governors votes down the financial plan, the chancellor may not proceed with the proposed action unless the chancellor presents a new financial plan for the president’s approval or disapproval," according to the proposal.

What is the UNC System?
Peter Hans is the president of the UNC System, which oversees 16 public schools including ACC members UNC Chapel Hill and NC State. Current FBS schools App State, East Carolina and UNC Charlotte are also in the UNC System.

Charlotte changed conferences in July, moving from Conference USA to the American Athletic Conference. App State and East Carolina changed conferences in 2014.

UNC and NC State are charter members of the ACC, which formed in 1953. In September, the ACC voted to add California, Stanford and SMU for the 2024-25 academic year as protection against defections.

The Board of Governors has 24 members, appointed by the NC House and Senate to staggered four-year terms. The Republican leaders of those chambers told WRAL in August that UNC and NC State should be conference foes.

"I really think Carolina and State ought to be in the same conference," said House Speaker Tim Moore, R-Cleveland. "I really think they ought to do that. And I think you’d have a lot of resistance to seeing them split off in different conferences."

Said Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham: "There is something about the rivalries that exist that i think would be damaged if we have the larger schools within North Carolina in different conferences. I would not like to see that happen. Whether or not that’s something that would be appropriate for the legislature to step in or not, I have not really thought about it that way."

The proposed changes to the policy would also require schools to provide grant of rights agreements, TV rights agreements and name, image and likeness contracts to the board if such agreements are "accessible to the constituent institution." Until recently, the ACC kept its grant of rights agreement in its office in Greensboro and member schools did not have a copy of it.
01-19-2024 06:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

random asian guy Online
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
RE: UNC and NC State to be formally tied at the hip
Very interesting

I also wonder if UVa and VT could become a package deal. What if UNC, NCSU, UVA, and VT all join the SEC?
01-19-2024 06:59 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

(01-19-2024 06:59 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Very interesting

I also wonder if UVa and VT could become a package deal. What if UNC, NCSU, UVA, and VT all join the SEC?

There is no UVa system. The UNC System is a 50's/60's copy of the model used in California.

A UNC system school for instance can't offer what it wants to students, it can only offer what the System approves. Hence no Engineering at UNC and no Law School at State.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2024 07:23 PM by SouthernConfBoy.)
01-19-2024 07:17 PM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(01-19-2024 07:17 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  

There is no UVa system. The UNC System is a 50's/60's copy of the model used in California.

A UNC system school for instance can't offer what it wants to students, it can only offer what the System approves. Hence no Engineering at UNC and no Law School at State.

Is the USG syatem based on the UNC system or the UC system or neither??
01-20-2024 03:07 AM
Advertisement

jpw67 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgia Tech, La. Tech
(01-19-2024 06:13 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  NORTH CAROLINA

By Brian Murphy, WRAL

North Carolina or NC State won't be able to leave the ACC without approval from the UNC System president and its board of governors under a proposal to be considered by the board next week.

The policy change would allow either the president or the board of governors to stop a conference change. It comes at a time when Florida State is challenging the conference in court and the biggest brands in college athletics are concentrating in two major conferences — the SEC and the Big Ten.

An initial draft of the policy change was first considered in October. It would have given the president "the opportunity to weigh in."

The current version gives the president and board explicit power to approve or thwart a move.

The proposal — a change to the "Policy on Intercollegiate Athletics" — is on the agenda for next week's Board of Governors' meeting in Raleigh. It will first be considered by the university governance committee.

Chancellors must give the UNC System president "advance notice prior to executing any agreement which would result in the constituent institution’s transfer, removal, or joining of an athletic conference association. The notice to the president shall include for the president’s approval or disapproval a financial plan related to the proposed action."

If the president approves the financial plan, the board would then get a chance to weigh in and could vote no.

"If the Board of Governors votes down the financial plan, the chancellor may not proceed with the proposed action unless the chancellor presents a new financial plan for the president’s approval or disapproval," according to the proposal.

What is the UNC System?
Peter Hans is the president of the UNC System, which oversees 16 public schools including ACC members UNC Chapel Hill and NC State. Current FBS schools App State, East Carolina and UNC Charlotte are also in the UNC System.

Charlotte changed conferences in July, moving from Conference USA to the American Athletic Conference. App State and East Carolina changed conferences in 2014.

UNC and NC State are charter members of the ACC, which formed in 1953. In September, the ACC voted to add California, Stanford and SMU for the 2024-25 academic year as protection against defections.

The Board of Governors has 24 members, appointed by the NC House and Senate to staggered four-year terms. The Republican leaders of those chambers told WRAL in August that UNC and NC State should be conference foes.

"I really think Carolina and State ought to be in the same conference," said House Speaker Tim Moore, R-Cleveland. "I really think they ought to do that. And I think you’d have a lot of resistance to seeing them split off in different conferences."

Said Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham: "There is something about the rivalries that exist that i think would be damaged if we have the larger schools within North Carolina in different conferences. I would not like to see that happen. Whether or not that’s something that would be appropriate for the legislature to step in or not, I have not really thought about it that way."

The proposed changes to the policy would also require schools to provide grant of rights agreements, TV rights agreements and name, image and likeness contracts to the board if such agreements are "accessible to the constituent institution." Until recently, the ACC kept its grant of rights agreement in its office in Greensboro and member schools did not have a copy of it.
s

Could be good news also for those who want the league to survive? I could envision the ACC continuing with a core of the Big four NC schools plus the two Virginia schools.
01-20-2024 04:04 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
After UCLA screwing over Cal, this only makes sense. Virginia should do the same.
01-20-2024 10:59 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(01-20-2024 03:07 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

The UNC System is not like California at all

The California Plan For Higher Education was from 1960 and it has two systems plus the community colleges

the UNC System is a single system for all universities

in California the restriction is based in graduate and professional degrees

Cal State schools (in their own system) can only offer a couple of doctorates (EdD and similar) and they offer no professional or medical degrees.....but many of them offer high quality engineering and ag programs

The UC System schools are all Land Grant even though UC Davis is now the "ag school" it was Cal that was the original land grant and UC Riverside was a Citrus Research Station at one time for Cal

in North Carolina various members of the system offer PhDs and the split of degrees is much more similar to a lot of states that had an Ag and Engineering school and an Arts, Medicine, and Science school......though few if any states with that split of universities have restricted their main two from offering overall types of degrees like NC has.......the closest would probably be Oregon with U Oregon offering no engineering degrees and Oregon State having the ag and engineering, and no law.....they do have Pharmacy unlike Oregon though and neither have nursing or any medical related programs other than Pharmacy at ORState

all the public universities are under a single system as well unlike in California

Georgia would be similar to NC in that it is a single system for all schools and a number of schools offer PhDs, but the difference is UGA has the ag programs as well, while still being the arts, sciences, and professional program university......and until somewhat recently they offered no engineering degrees, but they do now on a somewhat limited basis for being the "land grant" school in the state and even more so for being the professional degree school as well

but Georgia like Oregon has a "health care" university so UGA (now changing) did not have a medical school for a long time or major health care offerings

only California is the one that is so restrictive for very large universities in large areas or even in medium size cities offering professional degrees and PhDs.......few places are as restrictive as Oregon and NC with offering the engineering degrees at the "arts, sciences, and professional school" and few places have been as restrictive as Oregon and Georgia with medical schools (though Texas was for a very long time, but there higher ed setup is only slightly less crazy that Louisiana)

a number of other places have a single school that does both Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, Arizona, Nebraska (no medicine though), and Wyoming, but even then other schools (if there are any) are generally offering at last some PhDs and professional programs if they have a large enrollment

but most other places with a single system or two systems and the "arts, sciences, and professional school", like Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, ect have long since moved past restricting one or the other school from having engineering, a law school, medical schools ect
01-20-2024 11:56 AM
Advertisement

SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

(01-20-2024 11:56 AM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  
(01-20-2024 03:07 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

The UNC System is not like California at all

The California Plan For Higher Education was from 1960 and it has two systems plus the community colleges

the UNC System is a single system for all universities

in California the restriction is based in graduate and professional degrees

Cal State schools (in their own system) can only offer a couple of doctorates (EdD and similar) and they offer no professional or medical degrees.....but many of them offer high quality engineering and ag programs

The UC System schools are all Land Grant even though UC Davis is now the "ag school" it was Cal that was the original land grant and UC Riverside was a Citrus Research Station at one time for Cal

in North Carolina various members of the system offer PhDs and the split of degrees is much more similar to a lot of states that had an Ag and Engineering school and an Arts, Medicine, and Science school......though few if any states with that split of universities have restricted their main two from offering overall types of degrees like NC has.......the closest would probably be Oregon with U Oregon offering no engineering degrees and Oregon State having the ag and engineering, and no law.....they do have Pharmacy unlike Oregon though and neither have nursing or any medical related programs other than Pharmacy at ORState

all the public universities are under a single system as well unlike in California

Georgia would be similar to NC in that it is a single system for all schools and a number of schools offer PhDs, but the difference is UGA has the ag programs as well, while still being the arts, sciences, and professional program university......and until somewhat recently they offered no engineering degrees, but they do now on a somewhat limited basis for being the "land grant" school in the state and even more so for being the professional degree school as well

but Georgia like Oregon has a "health care" university so UGA (now changing) did not have a medical school for a long time or major health care offerings

only California is the one that is so restrictive for very large universities in large areas or even in medium size cities offering professional degrees and PhDs.......few places are as restrictive as Oregon and NC with offering the engineering degrees at the "arts, sciences, and professional school" and few places have been as restrictive as Oregon and Georgia with medical schools (though Texas was for a very long time, but there higher ed setup is only slightly less crazy that Louisiana)

a number of other places have a single school that does both Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, Arizona, Nebraska (no medicine though), and Wyoming, but even then other schools (if there are any) are generally offering at last some PhDs and professional programs if they have a large enrollment

but most other places with a single system or two systems and the "arts, sciences, and professional school", like Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, ect have long since moved past restricting one or the other school from having engineering, a law school, medical schools ect

What the UNC System is today and what it was from 1931 until the mid 1960's is what I was talking about. That's why I mentioned those dates. Research Gordon Gray. His goal that he passed down to Bill Friday was to have one UNC and for all phd granting universities to be like the Cal System, this is why it touched off a war with NC State that lasted over a decade and this is why East Carolina Teacher's College is ECU instead of the University of North Carolina at Greenville. The fact that ECU and Charlotte, and even A&T do some research is non-consequential compared to NC State and UNC-Ch.

I have degrees from both, I have taught at both, don't you think I might know something about it other than what Tidewater Atlantic people say on the record?
01-20-2024 05:42 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

Perhaps what is incomprehensible to so many is that the UNC System does not consider NC State and UNC-Ch to be stand alone institutions, standing alone from each other. They are in fact both 3/4ths a stand alone university. That makes them fundamentally different from Texas/TAMU, MSU/UM, Florida/FSU, VT/UVa, etc., etc.

To make UNC-Ch, whole, you have to add an Engineering School, Ag School, Textiles and Materials School, Vet School, and a Forestry School. To make NC State whole you have to add Law School, Med School, School of Public Health, Nursing School, and a Dental School. UNC-Charlotte and NC A&T do not want to lose Engineering programs to Carolina. ECU and UNC-Greensboro do not want to lose Nursing and Medical programs to UNC-Ch.

The pressure to prevent the independence of NC State and UNC-Ch comes from the other schools in the system and from the political sway bought by Duke, WF, Davidson, Campbell, and High Point.

The Senate President, Berger, chose his words carefully, of course since part of his district is next to WF U, and the biggest taxpayer in his district is Duke Power, well, - you get the picture.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2024 06:05 PM by SouthernConfBoy.)
01-20-2024 05:56 PM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(01-20-2024 05:56 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  Perhaps what is incomprehensible to so many is that the UNC System does not consider NC State and UNC-Ch to be stand alone institutions, standing alone from each other. They are in fact both 3/4ths a stand alone university. That makes them fundamentally different from Texas/TAMU, MSU/UM, Florida/FSU, VT/UVa, etc., etc.

To make UNC-Ch, whole, you have to add an Engineering School, Ag School, Textiles and Materials School, Vet School, and a Forestry School. To make NC State whole you have to add Law School, Med School, School of Public Health, Nursing School, and a Dental School. UNC-Charlotte and NC A&T do not want to lose Engineering programs to Carolina. ECU and UNC-Greensboro do not want to lose Nursing and Medical programs to UNC-Ch.

The pressure to prevent the independence of NC State and UNC-Ch comes from the other schools in the system and from the political sway bought by Duke, WF, Davidson, Campbell, and High Point.

The Senate President, Berger, chose his words carefully, of course since part of his district is next to WF U, and the biggest taxpayer in his district is Duke Power, well, - you get the picture.

'Bama doesn't have ag,vet, or forestry but they do have engineering. I can't think of anyone who doesn't consider them whole. I think, though not entirely certain, that Auburn has a School of Publuc Health. And pretty much everyone in the state knows that Auburn has engineering, ag & forestry. Auburn is home to the Edward Via Medical School though, but it's own college/university.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2024 07:21 PM by DawgNBama.)
01-20-2024 07:18 PM
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(01-20-2024 07:18 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(01-20-2024 05:56 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  Perhaps what is incomprehensible to so many is that the UNC System does not consider NC State and UNC-Ch to be stand alone institutions, standing alone from each other. They are in fact both 3/4ths a stand alone university. That makes them fundamentally different from Texas/TAMU, MSU/UM, Florida/FSU, VT/UVa, etc., etc.

'Bama doesn't have ag,vet, or forestry but they do have engineering. I can't think of anyone who doesn't consider them whole. I think, though not entirely certain, that Auburn has a School of Publuc Health. And pretty much everyone in the state knows that Auburn has engineering, ag & forestry. Auburn is home to the Edward Via Medical School though, but it's own college/university.

In Huntsville, companies hire engineers from both Auburn and Alabama. However, I've observed that Auburn tends to supply a greater portion of the engineering talent. And I'd be remiss if I didn't give Mississippi State a shout-out. Holy cow, they crank out some incredibly brilliant engineers. I have several that work for me and I'd adopt them if I could.
01-20-2024 07:34 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech

By Brian Murphy, WRAL

What is the UNC System?

Looks like they will be ACC 4 Life!
01-20-2024 08:20 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

(01-20-2024 08:20 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  

By Brian Murphy, WRAL

What is the UNC System?

Big 4 for life: "Said Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham: "There is something about the rivalries that exist that i think would be damaged if we have the larger schools within North Carolina in different conferences. I would not like to see that happen. Whether or not that’s something that would be appropriate for the legislature to step in or not, I have not really thought about it that way."

"larger schools" is the political phrase for taking into account what Duke and WF likes.
01-20-2024 11:05 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(01-20-2024 11:05 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  
(01-20-2024 08:20 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  

By Brian Murphy, WRAL

What is the UNC System?

Big 4 for life: "Said Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham: "There is something about the rivalries that exist that i think would be damaged if we have the larger schools within North Carolina in different conferences. I would not like to see that happen. Whether or not that’s something that would be appropriate for the legislature to step in or not, I have not really thought about it that way."

"larger schools" is the political phrase for taking into account what Duke and WF likes.

You've got to love a politician who refuses to alienate any of his constituents.
01-23-2024 05:59 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State

By Brian Murphy, WRAL

What is the UNC System?

That's interesting 'oh by the way' in that last paragraph.

Expect the board to do its part to help both Tar Heels and Wolfpack negotiate a P2 landing spot. If that requires both schools lingering in the ACC for a while as Clemson, Florida State and Miami exit first, it's OK. They'd rather that than separate the schools.

After other schools exit, they can tell their ACC loyalists 'Well, golly, we wanted to keep the band together, but if that's how it's going to be, well... Guess we'll just have to kick our kids upstairs.'
01-23-2024 07:39 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(01-23-2024 07:39 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  

By Brian Murphy, WRAL

What is the UNC System?

That's interesting 'oh by the way' in that last paragraph.

Expect the board to do its part to help both Tar Heels and Wolfpack negotiate a P2 landing spot. If that requires both schools lingering in the ACC for a while as Clemson, Florida State and Miami exit first, it's OK. They'd rather that than separate the schools.

After other schools exit, they can tell their ACC loyalists 'Well, golly, we wanted to keep the band together, but if that's how it's going to be, well... Guess we'll just have to kick our kids upstairs.'

03-lol Keep trying, you're bound to land a point eventually.
01-23-2024 07:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.