RE: MVP So Far for Basketball Team
I think Bickerstaff
02-10-2024 06:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
I’ll let others opine before I give my opinion.
02-10-2024 06:42 PM
Halz87 Offline
1st String

MVP So Far for Basketball Team
Its still Edwards. He is not the most efficient... but he makes the team go. The only one that can truly get his own shot and break down defenses. Most consistent and will take the shot in the clutch.

Not the most efficient...but he makes this team work.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
02-10-2024 07:00 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Beauty is we have multiple options and nobody has to be the MVP every night, one or two guys can be down and others pick it up.
02-10-2024 07:40 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Tonight, Green is the MVP!
02-10-2024 07:57 PM
Advertisement

PolishFalconDuke Offline
2nd String

Beauty of this team is that it can be one of 7 or 8 different players each night.
02-10-2024 07:59 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Bickerstaff. We are lucky it is such a tough question.
02-10-2024 08:16 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Hard to decide who the MVP might be so far. Maybe Bickerstaff. Perhaps it is better left for when the season is over. There are important games coming up in Pensacola that far outweigh anything done in the regular season.

The original list with 5 players probably isn’t long enough. Add Horton and MG3.
Any one of the 7 could be the MVP depending on how things shake out at the conference tourney.
02-10-2024 08:35 PM
Dukes_Royals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison University
Edwards but only because he has been there every single night. Can't blame Bickerstaff for that because getting sick is a lot of times out of your control, but it caused a significant mid season slump.
02-10-2024 08:38 PM
81Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Dukes!
(02-10-2024 07:00 PM)Halz87 Wrote:  Its still Edwards. He is not the most efficient... but he makes the team go. The only one that can truly get his own shot and break down defenses. Most consistent and will take the shot in the clutch.

Not the most efficient...but he makes this team work.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Seriously? The offensive flow and ball movement is MUCH better when he's not in there dribbling, dribbling, dribbling and then loses the ball with some crazy shot that may or may not hit the rim. Yes, he will get his points, but as much as he dominates, he should. He is losing the ball more and more with his lack of ball handling skills and poor decision-making.

Not impressed with his occasional ability to "break down defenses." It's too much "hero ball" and not within the team concept.
02-10-2024 09:34 PM
Advertisement

81Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Dukes!
The good and the bad for Edwards through 25 games:

Leads team with 16.6 PPG
3rd on team in total rebounds
2nd on team in total assists

330 FG attempted (99 more than anyone else)
FG Pct: 42% (Of the 9 players that have played the most minutes, only 2 have a worse FG pct.)
Most turnovers on team with 64 (out pacing the next closest teammate who has 43 TO's)
02-10-2024 09:58 PM
DUKE78 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(02-10-2024 06:22 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Who is the Most Valuable Player so far?
1. Wooden
2. Carey
3. Freidel
4. Bickerstaff
5. Edwards

It was great meeting you at the game tonight Gary!

I think TEAM is the most valuable player. We are at our best when everyone is passing the ball around looking for the open player either for a basket in the paint or kicking it out for an open 3.

I really have a hard time picking out one player as a MVP but if I had to pick one, right now I would have to say Noah Freidel. He just does so many things to help this team, even on a night when his 3 point shooting is off. He is "Mr. Hustle" and he was on the court for 35 minutes tonight even though he was just was 1-7 on 3's, he contributed in other ways to help this TEAM.
02-10-2024 11:02 PM
JMU_Rocks! Online
Special Teams

Bickerstaff.

It has been so long since we have had a dominant inside presence on defense. Better yet, he is so smooth and distributes well on offense. Creep the FT % up to 70% and we feed everything through him even more.

Edwards is very versatile, but the opposite of smooth - he stops, starts, shoots off-balanced, and draws contact. As a 6th man, he was deadly. As a primary, you feel the erratic aspect of his play more.

Friedel, often contributes the most - even if the shot is not there.

Carey - fits in that 6th man role now. He gives Bickerstaff breathers, often out-muscles the other big, and finishes strong at the rim.

Wooden - has to be our glue, a guy who went through multiple coaches and can testify to how much more fun winning is.

Green/Brown - not a MVP, but the tandem, gives By options and he can use them well, along with Horton and Randleman for spurts.

No doubt a team, but Bickerstaff, has substantially elevated our results.
02-10-2024 11:25 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(02-10-2024 08:35 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Hard to decide who the MVP might be so far. Maybe Bickerstaff. Perhaps it is better left for when the season is over. There are important games coming up in Pensacola that far outweigh anything done in the regular season.

The original list with 5 players probably isn’t long enough. Add Horton and MG3.
Any one of the 7 could be the MVP depending on how things shake out at the conference tourney.

I’m talking so far. Who is the MVP up to this point?
02-10-2024 11:54 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Of course I pick a night when Freidel goes 1 for 7 shooting to start a thread on who is our most valuable player so far this year. The old saying that a good lawyer can argue either side of a case is somewhat apropos here. I could make a case for a few different players. But, my choice is Noah. He is a coach’s dream. He does so many things right. Tough defense and great angles. Charlie Hustle. Will scrap like none other. Great rebounder and gets the ball out quickly to start a break. Everyone knows he is a good shooter. When is off like he was tonight he still contributes in so many positive ways. He often will bust a game open when he is on with the 3 pointers. I just enjoy watching him play so much.

Edwards is the choice for many of you. But, he drives me insane. Is he talented? Yes. But he is a turnover machine. He will always get his points because he has a green light and he doesn’t know what a yellow or red light is. I would have to reel him in somewhat if I was coaching him.

Bickerstaff has made a huge difference this year for sure. But, I think Carey is playing as well if not even better. TJ is a little turnover prone. He loses his handle too much. But I love his game.

Wooden is a great complimentary player. Beautiful stroke. But, he disappears at times.

If Green plays consistently like he played tonight we could make a really good run.

This team played its ass off tonight. Akron is really good and we went toe to toe with them. We are peaking at the right time and that bodes well.
02-11-2024 12:15 AM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(02-10-2024 11:02 PM)DUKE78 Wrote:  
(02-10-2024 06:22 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Who is the Most Valuable Player so far?
1. Wooden
2. Carey
3. Freidel
4. Bickerstaff
5. Edwards

It was great meeting you at the game tonight Gary!

I think TEAM is the most valuable player. We are at our best when everyone is passing the ball around looking for the open player either for a basket in the paint or kicking it out for an open 3.

I really have a hard time picking out one player as a MVP but if I had to pick one, right now I would have to say Noah Freidel. He just does so many things to help this team, even on a night when his 3 point shooting is off. He is "Mr. Hustle" and he was on the court for 35 minutes tonight even though he was just was 1-7 on 3's, he contributed in other ways to help this TEAM.

It was great meeting you as well. Great game tonight! Hope we keep it going.
02-11-2024 12:18 AM
Dukeman Offline
Special Teams

Bickerstaff
02-11-2024 07:36 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Eff MVP, this is a team. They can win with any one player sitting for a game due to an injury.
02-11-2024 07:45 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

Depth is our mvp.

It can’t be one guy.

Team doesn’t have a true go to guy/star, despite what people think of edwards.

We are winning because we have 9 really solid players, whereas most mid major teams might have 4-5 and the rest are average or below. For those teams, when a couple of those solid guys have off days, they are in trouble. And most guys are not going to be on every game.

But it’s unlikely we’ll have all 9 of our solid guys have off days at the same time. There is always a couple to three guys who are having a day.

Bickerstaff, edwards, wooden, green, freidel, brown, Carey. You can look back over the season and find a game for almost every one of those guys and say they were the mvp that day and had a game and we don’t win without them.

Yesterday was Green. I don’t think we win without his threes and steady point play. Who saw that coming pregame? That’s what makes us win. Someone always steps up on the day.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2024 08:18 AM by Duke Dawg.)
02-11-2024 08:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.