ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU athletic program future….
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
While we’re all bellyaching about the decline of ODU athletics on the field, I’d like to believe our leadership can see the train that is quickly barreling down the track.

It’s commonly accepted the ACC will be losing some schools, and reasonably likely it could be much sooner than later. In my view, our leadership isn’t anywhere near having us prepared for that.

There are several peer schools, that at this point in time, are better candidates for ACC expansion than us. If we miss that boat, it will set us back for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024 10:10 PM by ODU1986.)
02-17-2024 10:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: ODU athletic program future….
I’m not suggesting I feel good with where we are, but conference invitations are not necessarily made based on wins and losses. There are A LOT more factors to it.
02-17-2024 10:14 PM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

I’m aware of that, pretty sure everyone on the boards is aware of that. I question the judgement of leadership.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024 10:20 PM by ODU1986.)
02-17-2024 10:17 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

(02-17-2024 10:17 PM)ODU1986 Wrote:  I aware of that, pretty sure everyone on the boards is aware of that. I question the judgement of leadership.

That’s fair. I just don’t want anyone thinking our current situation on the hardwood precludes us from the next best move.
02-17-2024 10:19 PM
ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

It’s not just the hardwood. There are competitiveness issues across the boards.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024 10:22 PM by ODU1986.)
02-17-2024 10:22 PM
ODURallyFox Offline
1st String

I question everything with our leadership. I question whether Pres and AD truly care about winning. I question where and how all of the financial resources go toward our recruiting and coaching staffs. I question whether our BOV and Pres care to expedite projects that need to be done (IE. North end zone, indoor practice facility, south endzone refurb). I really question if winning games and championships is truly a priority for everyone involved inside the organization. I also question our biggest boosters on whether they have the gall to stop playing buddy buddy with Wood and Pres and actually force their hands to make changes.

Needless to say, I think our athletic department future is very bleak and the current situation is a dumpster fire right now.
02-17-2024 11:01 PM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

The biggest donors may or may not be happy. I don’t know. But the bigger problem is once those bigger donors are gone, the pipeline of next generation big donors will be much smaller due in large part to the failures of the last decade. Winning creates passionate fans and donors for the future more so than at that moment.
02-17-2024 11:28 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(02-17-2024 10:19 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  
(02-17-2024 10:17 PM)ODU1986 Wrote:  I aware of that, pretty sure everyone on the boards is aware of that. I question the judgement of leadership.

That’s fair. I just don’t want anyone thinking our current situation on the hardwood precludes us from the next best move.

Setbacks are a natural (and even necessary) component of any sustained success. IF the enterprise learns from them.

Using (somewhat apocryphal) historic examples, Nero fiddled while Rome burned and the Roman Empire eventually fell. George Washington by contrast took a near-defeated Continental Army into Valley Forge, trained them up with the help of Baron Von Steuben, and emerged with a fighting force capable of defeating the far superior British (and Hessian) armies.

Is ODU treating this situation as a Valley Forge? Or is it just fiddling?

I am not an ODU insider and will defer to the greater insight and information available to those here “in the know”. Schlumps like me don’t get to ever know what (if anything) is happening in real time, and I’m old enough that there is a fair chance I won’t be around long enough to find out. But so long as Wood Selig remains in charge, my best guess is that ODU is simply fiddling while its potential for greatness burns.

Whatever. All I’ve got to contribute at the moment is a shout out to you great fans (1986, Coach, Fox and monarx on this particular thread) who care enough to even ask the question. ODU has all the ingredients necessary to be a perennial power in every major sport - - not the least of which is a fan base that cares.

Unfortunately, I don’t see it happening at the moment. What I see is an administration that would prefer to avoid the actual work of acting on ODU’s great potential and instead continue to offer up more window dressing to cover up its laziness, incompetence and failure. It is very possible that there is real change underway behind the scenes. But from what I can see on the surface, brow-furrowed private conversations between the people most responsible for the current mess is not a promising sign.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2024 06:34 AM by AdoptedMonarch.)
02-18-2024 06:31 AM
mac Offline
All American

(02-17-2024 11:28 PM)monarx Wrote:  The biggest donors may or may not be happy. I don’t know. But the bigger problem is once those bigger donors are gone, the pipeline of next generation big donors will be much smaller due in large part to the failures of the last decade. Winning creates passionate fans and donors for the future more so than at that moment.

My buddy!
Here’s the problem. Couple days ago I responded to a post on that Facebook site. Lots of excuses over there. Anyway, this guy actually said to me “why can’t we be happy with what we have”. Some folks just don’t care and are happy to go to the games.
02-18-2024 07:52 AM
mac Offline
All American

(02-18-2024 06:31 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

Setbacks are a natural (and even necessary) component of any sustained success. IF the enterprise learns from them.

Using (somewhat apocryphal) historic examples, Nero fiddled while Rome burned and the Roman Empire eventually fell. George Washington by contrast took a near-defeated Continental Army into Valley Forge, trained them up with the help of Baron Von Steuben, and emerged with a fighting force capable of defeating the far superior British (and Hessian) armies.

Is ODU treating this situation as a Valley Forge? Or is it just fiddling?

I am not an ODU insider and will defer to the greater insight and information available to those here “in the know”. Schlumps like me don’t get to ever know what (if anything) is happening in real time, and I’m old enough that there is a fair chance I won’t be around long enough to find out. But so long as Wood Selig remains in charge, my best guess is that ODU is simply fiddling while its potential for greatness burns.

Whatever. All I’ve got to contribute at the moment is a shout out to you great fans (1986, Coach, Fox and monarx on this particular thread) who care enough to even ask the question. ODU has all the ingredients necessary to be a perennial power in every major sport - - not the least of which is a fan base that cares.

Unfortunately, I don’t see it happening at the moment. What I see is an administration that would prefer to avoid the actual work of acting on ODU’s great potential and instead continue to offer up more window dressing to cover up its laziness, incompetence and failure. It is very possible that there is real change underway behind the scenes. But from what I can see on the surface, brow-furrowed private conversations between the people most responsible for the current mess is not a promising sign.

Fantastic post my friend! So good in fact I had to read it out loud to my wife.

Thank you.
02-18-2024 07:56 AM
757ODU Offline
All American

(02-18-2024 07:52 AM)mac Wrote:  
(02-17-2024 11:28 PM)monarx Wrote:  The biggest donors may or may not be happy. I don’t know. But the bigger problem is once those bigger donors are gone, the pipeline of next generation big donors will be much smaller due in large part to the failures of the last decade. Winning creates passionate fans and donors for the future more so than at that moment.

My buddy!
Here’s the problem. Couple days ago I responded to a post on that Facebook site. Lots of excuses over there. Anyway, this guy actually said to me “why can’t we be happy with what we have”. Some folks just don’t care and are happy to go to the games.

I’m sure he buys his wife’s boyfriend steaks.
02-18-2024 08:18 AM
Advertisement

ODU1986 Offline
Special Teams

Many years ago on these boards, someone pointed out the extreme risk adverse management style of most college presidents and athletic directors. Pretty obvious one of the last things any school wants is to be mired in controversy and scandal, when the real objective is to operate a quality institution of higher education. But there has to be a proper balance.

Another thing a poster once pointed out was the need to avoid mediocrity. Mediocrity leads to mediocre results. Results not good enough to lead a program to the promised land but also not bad enough to get someone dismissed.

Pretty sure what we’ve seen over the last 10 years is the affects of that management style and where it will, at least when implemented to the extreme, lead a program.

02-18-2024 08:52 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

My buddy!

On person's response is not indicative of the feelings inside the AD. It would be insane for the ODU hierarchy to be happy with the state of MBB. Some people here think nothing will happen, postseason. I'm just as certain that something will be addressed as you are that northing will be done.
The big issue I see is that, unless Jeff retires, the public perception will be that ODU fired a guy with cancer. To the outside world (not here) that would be unforgivable, lousy record or no lousy record. Perhaps those conversations with Jeff are or have been happening. I hope so.
02-18-2024 09:05 AM
mac Offline
All American

(02-18-2024 09:05 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  

My buddy!

On person's response is not indicative of the feelings inside the AD. It would be insane for the ODU hierarchy to be happy with the state of MBB. Some people here think nothing will happen, postseason. I'm just as certain that something will be addressed as you are that northing will be done.
The big issue I see is that, unless Jeff retires, the public perception will be that ODU fired a guy with cancer. To the outside world (not here) that would be unforgivable, lousy record or no lousy record. Perhaps those conversations with Jeff are or have been happening. I hope so.
02-18-2024 09:13 AM
mac Offline
All American

(02-18-2024 09:13 AM)mac Wrote:  

My buddy!

Im just reporting what some people are saying! They have to make a change, it’s obvious.
02-18-2024 09:14 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

I think it does matter. The fact that we are bad at the two major sports, and our brand is a mess right now will keep us stuck in the second tier. Let's be honest, in order to join a conference like the ACC, even a depleted one, we have to overcome a less than stellar academic reputation, and winning big would make a difference. As of right now, I think we are miles behind schools like JMU, App State, Marshall, ECU, and any number of AAC schools for a spot at the top tier in the next round of chaos.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
02-18-2024 09:57 AM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

My buddy!

If Jeff refuses to retire, with a buy out, and forces them to fire him, then **** him. In that case, he is a selfish ******* that deserves to be unceremoniously fired regardless of any health issues.

I don't think Jeff is a bad guy, so I think they will get this worked out as long as the admin has the balls to tell him it's over and the only decision to be made is how we communicate the change.

02-18-2024 10:05 AM
mac Offline
All American

(02-18-2024 09:57 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

I think it does matter. The fact that we are bad at the two major sports, and our brand is a mess right now will keep us stuck in the second tier. Let's be honest, in order to join a conference like the ACC, even a depleted one, we have to overcome a less than stellar academic reputation, and winning big would make a difference. As of right now, I think we are miles behind schools like JMU, App State, Marshall, ECU, and any number of AAC schools for a spot at the top tier in the next round of chaos.

Yep. ACC is a major pipe dream. No way. ODU is a regional school with no brand at all, not even well known in Virginia.
02-18-2024 10:06 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Jones is out either way. If need be the school can propose an admin position for him to ease the transition, but I fully expect JJ will announce his retirement shortly after the season is over.
02-18-2024 10:14 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2024 10:14 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Jones is out either way. If need be the school can propose an admin position for him to ease the transition, but I fully expect JJ will announce his retirement shortly after the season is over.
I just don't understand why they can't get this done now so they can start working back channels and be ready to announce the next coach ASAP after the season. Dominoes are going to start falling fast and we need to be in the front of the line to get the best available coach.

02-18-2024 10:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.