ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JJ Appreciation Thread
MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
JJ Appreciation Thread
I know this community has been ready for a change in direction for a long time - but I also think we should show appreciation to one of our own upon retirement from a long, successful career.

I'm sure this is not how he envisioned hanging it up - but I do think it's for the best for everyone.

SO - this thread is for the good memories and the positive moments.

What is your favorite JJ moment or memory?

I've got a few - obviously "the shot" is probably the most prominent memory, but I really enjoyed that NIT run, and had a great time going to MSG to see the final 4 NIT game (even though we lost). Also remembered his reaction as we finally won CUSA and how meaningful that appeared for him.

What say you?
02-26-2024 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: JJ Appreciation Thread
I could be wrong, but I think JJ is the only ODU coach to ever coach a Top 25 team.

My favorite moment, though, was the NCAA Tournament game against Purdue. The game wasn't particularly memorable, but it was the first time I was able to take my son to an NCAA Tournament game, and he still talks about it to this day, partly because the game ended well after midnight and as a then 7-year-old, he thought that was amazing.
02-26-2024 10:35 AM
MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

(02-26-2024 10:35 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  I could be wrong, but I think JJ is the only ODU coach to ever coach a Top 25 team.

My favorite moment, though, was the NCAA Tournament game against Purdue. The game wasn't particularly memorable, but it was the first time I was able to take my son to an NCAA Tournament game, and he still talks about it to this day, partly because the game ended well after midnight and as a then 7-year-old, he thought that was amazing.

I believe that is correct. We lost it after 1 game....but it happened!
02-26-2024 10:40 AM
webster Offline
2nd String

I truly believe Jeff is a very good coach and seems like a great person.
We just were not getting the results needed and it was beyond time. I hate that his health also played a part in the change.
I hope and pray that he can recover from all health issues and enjoy a long, happy retirement.
My favorite Jeff Jones era memory is I believe when we won the "Vegas 16". As the team celebrated, he sat on the sideline and watched with a smile on his face.
It was like a dad being proud of his kids. So that was definitely a cool moment.
I was at the Ted when Trey Freeman made the "shot". That was awesome as well.
02-26-2024 10:44 AM
757ODU Offline
All American

Jeff Jones is a great man, and I hope that he stays attached to the ODU community.
02-26-2024 10:46 AM
monarchfan4life Offline
2nd String

My favorite moment was us winning the conference tournament game in Frisco and celebrating with the coaches and other fans at the team hotel after the game. Also, I will never forget receiving a card from Coach Jones when my Dad passed away. He was a huge basketball fan and never missed coming to a game with me.
02-26-2024 10:48 AM
Advertisement

ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

My two favorite JJ moments:

In some random CUSA game BJ Stith was running his mouth, it was justified but the ref had had enough. He slides up to Jeff and says something to the effect of "You need to tell him to chill or he is going to get a tech". I could not hear because my seats are on the other side of The Ted. I did hear JJ yell "BJ! Shut up!" across the floor. It was highly amusing.

The other was Saturday night and his embrace with Jason Wade. Jeff is a good coach. I’m not sure if the game today has passed him by or his health has made it difficult for him to adapt or what but he is a good tactical coach. He loves his players and they seem to love him too. I almost lost it when he and Jason said goodbye.
02-26-2024 10:53 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

The NIT team was a very good team. Got ranked in the Top 25. The game in the NIT quarter finals at the Ted was one of the best ODU games ever. 'The Shot.'

We never had any NCAA violations. Mostly good young men getting their degrees and moving on with life.
02-26-2024 10:53 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

My favorite Jones memory was the NIT F4 run. Its always great to make a run in the legit post season. "The shot" against Murray State is in my top 10 ODU mens basketball memories.
02-26-2024 10:54 AM
ODU Hugh Offline
1st String

Easy answer. His emotional reaction to the CUSA tourney win.
02-26-2024 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Jones is a great man and I appreciate what he's done for ODU. Not looking for an argument, but I do wonder how much his health played a role in the downfall. That and keeping assistants too long. But, he brought nothing but class here and was not afraid to get rid of players that caused problems.
02-26-2024 11:01 AM
Advertisement

ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

The win versus Ranked (#13?) VCU and of course the Murray State win to go to MSG are my favorite Jeff Jones games.
02-26-2024 11:32 AM
MonGNARch Online
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
I've posted it here before but back in like 2015 I went to the ODU alumni Nationals tailgate event at the bullpen. I saw him and his wife walking around on their way to the tents and I approached him and introduced myself and he and his wife were incredibly gracious. He asked if I was going to the tent but I told him no because it was cash only and I didn't have cash on me. He then offered to pay for me and my girlfriend and younger brother to get in, no hesitation. Not only was he very nice but he just seemed like a normal guy. He reminded me of my dad, I'll never forget it.

Speaking of which my dad suffered a heart attack last year, luckily hes okay and was able to be treated immediately and has made a full recovery. A few months later, Coach Jones got his heart attack. It really hit home and it brought me back to the day I got the call from my mom that my dad was sent to the hospital.

To me, Coach has always seemed like a really great guy, I can see why players have always mentioned loving playing for him. He had the impossible task of taking over a 5-25 team and did a good job all things conidered. I wish he could have won more conference championships and gotten to the NCAA's more often but there are some relly memorable times with this team. The NIT run, fighting fo the team to make it to the Vegas 16 because they were heartbroken and wanted to keep playing, finally winning the CUSA championship.

I do think his style of basketball was very outdated and while it may have worked at UVA, he couldn't turn it into long term success here.

I wish him the best of luck in his health and hope he has a long and happy retirement, he has earned it after giving decades of his life to the game.
02-26-2024 11:37 AM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

JJ Appreciation Thread
Based on my personal experience, Jones is second only to Paul Webb among ODU basketball coaches who I have seen in the community. Even more than Blaine. And I'm not talking about events. Like being at the grocery store. I mostly kept to my own, but one time I went up to him to talk because I was really curious about some recruits that had signed. He was very nice and humored me, but I could tell he wanted to get back to his business so I kept it short. I hope any future coaches will get out in the community and be visible.
02-26-2024 12:44 PM
MonarchManiac Online
Heisman

(02-26-2024 12:44 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  Based on my personal experience, Jones is second only to Paul Webb among ODU basketball coaches who I have seen in the community. Even more than Blaine. And I'm not talking about events. Like being at the grocery store. I mostly kept to my own, but one time I went up to him to talk because I was really curious about some recruits that had signed. He was very nice and humored me, but I could tell he wanted to get back to his business so I kept it short. I hope any future coaches will get out in the community and be visible.

He indicated in the presser that they would be staying here and be a part of this community. I would love for him to still rep ODU going forward and would love to have the opportunity to say hi one day at a game or something. He mentioned in the presser that we have a special thing going here with the fan's devotion to the program and I agree. Would like to see him as a part of that going forward (much like BT has returned)
02-26-2024 12:53 PM
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

My heart goes out to JJ. As a 2 time retiree I understand how hard it can be to formally announce it.
Walking away from something you love after a 41 year relationship can be very emotional.

I feel certain he'll find something he can be deeply committed to.
02-26-2024 01:19 PM
Advertisement

elon77 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu and elon
My favorite memory is a little different. I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer several months after Jeff went public with his own Prostate Cancer diagnosis. I reached out to him I believe through Harry and received the nicest note back. We wished each other well and best wishes with our treatments. My wife and I also received several notes from his wife which lifted both our spirits and helped us with the issues we faced. For someone to interrupt their busy schedule to reach out to me meant more than he could ever imagine. We both decided it was one fraternity we really didn't want to be in, but life has a few curve balls thrown your way. Best wishes coach and here's to great health.
02-26-2024 07:57 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(02-26-2024 12:53 PM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  
(02-26-2024 12:44 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  Based on my personal experience, Jones is second only to Paul Webb among ODU basketball coaches who I have seen in the community. Even more than Blaine. And I'm not talking about events. Like being at the grocery store. I mostly kept to my own, but one time I went up to him to talk because I was really curious about some recruits that had signed. He was very nice and humored me, but I could tell he wanted to get back to his business so I kept it short. I hope any future coaches will get out in the community and be visible.

He indicated in the presser that they would be staying here and be a part of this community. I would love for him to still rep ODU going forward and would love to have the opportunity to say hi one day at a game or something. He mentioned in the presser that we have a special thing going here with the fan's devotion to the program and I agree. Would like to see him as a part of that going forward (much like BT has returned)
He is a hail fellow well met who has also served ODU and college basketball well for 4+ decades. I like the idea of ODU giving him some largesse to continue to promote our brand. I am also told (no way for me to know if true) he is very popular with our big donors which is always a help. It also seems pretty clear he has a good rapport with his former and current players. So a heck of an idea and I say open some new door at ODU for Coach as this one closes. 04-cheers
02-26-2024 08:11 PM
Prideofalion Offline
1st String

(02-26-2024 10:40 AM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  
(02-26-2024 10:35 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  I could be wrong, but I think JJ is the only ODU coach to ever coach a Top 25 team.

I believe that is correct. We lost it after 1 game....but it happened!

So the top 25 changes every Monday. They vote on Sunday and new rankings come out Monday morning. After being ranked, Won at Marshall big on Thursday night. Lost at Western Kentucky on Saturday. I think ODU was actually an underdog at WKU if memory serves. But gotta win both games obviously to be ranked again the next week.
02-26-2024 08:42 PM
The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

Thank you, Coach for your many contributions to college basketball. Someone once told me that we should appreciate the gifts in life that we don't know about. I've got this feeling that you gave a lot of gifts that we don't know about. My hope and prayer is that you fully recover and that time will help to heal any and all wounds related to your tenure as our coach. I have a lot of good memories of you and your gifts to Old Dominion University, especially to the young men that were entrusted to you. You are in my prayers.
02-26-2024 09:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.