Notre Dame College shutting down
02-29-2024 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Notre Dame College shutting down
Probably for the best. Ohio has way too many small liberal arts schools.
02-29-2024 06:39 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
[Image: Screenshot-2024-02-29-at-6-39-39-PM.png]

Well that's what they get for joining a conference!
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024 06:45 PM by PeteTheChop.)
02-29-2024 06:45 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

Notre Dame and Urbana both jumped over from NAIA to D2 about a decade ago and now both are out-of-business. I have to wonder if athletic spending hastened their demise.
02-29-2024 06:50 PM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(02-29-2024 06:50 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Notre Dame and Urbana both jumped over from NAIA to D2 about a decade ago and now both are out-of-business. I have to wonder if athletic spending hastened their demise.

Could be. Maybe Faulkner should stay in NAIA.
02-29-2024 06:53 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
And let the floodgates open!

Maybe by the end of it all, real Notre Dame will be shutting down.
02-29-2024 06:56 PM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(02-29-2024 06:50 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Notre Dame and Urbana both jumped over from NAIA to D2 about a decade ago and now both are out-of-business. I have to wonder if athletic spending hastened their demise.

They took a risk by trying to increase their stature via an association with the NCAA, hoping they could attract students. They tried to spend money to make money. It didn't work.
02-29-2024 07:14 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
There goes another one of David Street's hopes. 07-coffee3
02-29-2024 07:27 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

Notre Dame College sponsored 24 sports. That's one way to try to keep the doors open.

Also, they were an all-women's college until 2001. They couldn't have had a large endowment.

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024 08:02 PM by johnintx.)
02-29-2024 08:01 PM
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
They were very good in D2 football for several years. Of course, their coaches kept getting hired away because of that. Hate to hear this.
02-29-2024 08:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pastasevensamurai Online
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The U
Somehow Lake Erie and Tiffin are open.
02-29-2024 10:48 PM
Advertisement

Eagle Talon Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(02-29-2024 08:01 PM)johnintx Wrote:  Notre Dame College sponsored 24 sports. That's one way to try to keep the doors open.

Also, they were an all-women's college until 2001. They couldn't have had a large endowment.

I see what you did there. 04-cheers
02-29-2024 10:59 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary

I think sports can be the harbinger, but more because a school adding sports hand over fist likely isn't doing too well. Schools that are sponsoring a ton of sports are doing so to attract students, and it's probably not a super sustainable strategy.
02-29-2024 11:26 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(02-29-2024 06:56 PM)C2__ Wrote:  And let the floodgates open!

Maybe by the end of it all, real Notre Dame will be shutting down.

No way, Navy would just cruise in and save them again.
03-01-2024 11:06 AM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
(02-29-2024 10:48 PM)Pastasevensamurai Wrote:  Somehow Lake Erie and Tiffin are open.

Tiffin has gone bigly into the online degree arena so they'll be around.
03-01-2024 12:13 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
(02-29-2024 10:48 PM)Pastasevensamurai Wrote:  Somehow Lake Erie and Tiffin are open.

I kinda feel like some of these schools are trying to hold on as long as they can, hoping that others close first.

I saw 9 schools would accept Notre Dame students (including Lake Erie, though not Tiffin).

Like maybe Lake Erie is thinking they can get ~50 additional students from ND's closing, that will sure up their enrollment a bit. Plus, ND closing means there's one fewer option in the area, so maybe next year ~15 students who would've gone to ND go to Lake Erie College, and Lake Erie's long term enrollment strategy looks a shade better.

However, there's probably 10 other colleges thinking the same thing, and ND only has so many students to go around. But, if nearby Malone University closes their doors next, the process repeats, and now there's only 9 other colleges to compete with.
03-01-2024 12:46 PM
Advertisement

Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
With a declining demographic of kids entering college, an interesting dynamic will be whether the better schools will lower their admission standards to keep about the same student population (and tuition $$) vs. reducing body count to maintain max quality, which would help some of the lesser schools stay afloat.
03-02-2024 11:39 AM
johnintx Offline
1st String

(02-29-2024 10:59 PM)Eagle Talon Wrote:  
(02-29-2024 08:01 PM)johnintx Wrote:  Notre Dame College sponsored 24 sports. That's one way to try to keep the doors open.

I see what you did there. 04-cheers

I wasn't trying to intentionally do anything. :-)

I was just mentioning my observation that has happened with other schools: it is harder for a small school with a history as either a junior college or a women's college to build a large endowment. It takes decades to build relationships with donors, and for alumni to build high-paying careers to in turn give large amounts back to the school.

If the school was an all-women's college before 2001, their graduates were probably going into low-paying careers such as education and nursing. Therefore, they didn't have big-money alumni plowing huge sums into their endowment. Tough times have come, and they didn't have the financial firewall to survive. They're not the first, and they won't be the last.

They used sports to try to keep enrollment up and stay afloat. It worked for a while, but only for a while.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 11:55 AM by johnintx.)
03-02-2024 11:54 AM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
(03-02-2024 11:39 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  With a declining demographic of kids entering college, an interesting dynamic will be whether the better schools will lower their admission standards to keep about the same student population (and tuition $$) vs. reducing body count to maintain max quality, which would help some of the lesser schools stay afloat.

At the state schools at least admission standards allow for flux in freshman class.

Demographics are 1 factor but also cost. Online programs are eating into demand for the lower tier colleges. Private colleges don't have the built in benefit of state distribution for higher education.

At the lower tier public level a lot of those students would be just as happy to complete two years at a community college and transfer in. They aren't great students to begin with an usually with little aspirations so a community college might be a better option.

Where I live you can become a police officer with a two year degree at a starting salary of 64,000. That is more than most jobs with a 4 year degree pay. Even if you wanted to go to law school and become a defense lawyer you could start at a community college majoring in criminal justice and then transfer into a 4 year.

You've got to be the kind of 4 year college that attracts kids from families in the upper 10% to keep the demand up IMO.
03-02-2024 11:56 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline

I fully expect Lake Erie to be the next small Ohio college to close.
03-02-2024 01:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.