ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Basketball: You're on notice
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
The Jeff Jones debacle is over. We've got Mike Jones in charge now. It might not be immediate, but look out. The Monarchs are on the way back in a big way. We're coming for you and we'll enjoy competing for a championship again soon.
03-05-2024 11:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chillie Willie Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Lighten up Francis. One step at a time.
03-05-2024 11:20 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Sun Belt Basketball: You're on notice
(03-05-2024 11:20 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  Lighten up Francis. One step at a time.

Its happening. Ive never been so glad for a season to be over, or more optimistic for a big turnaround. Not that we'll be a 20 win team next year (but maybe?), but Im confident good things are coming in the next few years.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2024 11:25 PM by monarx.)
03-05-2024 11:24 PM
PhillyFlorz Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-05-2024 11:24 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-05-2024 11:20 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  Lighten up Francis. One step at a time.

Its happening. Ive never been so glad for a season to be over, or more optimistic for a big turnaround. Not that we'll be a 20 win team next year (but maybe?), but Im confident good things are coming in the next few years.
And you base this prediction on what?
03-06-2024 03:57 AM
mac Offline
All American

(03-06-2024 03:57 AM)PhillyFlorz Wrote:  
(03-05-2024 11:24 PM)monarx Wrote:  

And you base this prediction on what?

Mike Jones.
03-06-2024 06:26 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

Whatever bad juju was put on us after that Sprite bottle was thrown after the Butler loss, we've by now more than paid our dues to the Gods of MBB Karma.

Count me as among the unrealistically enthusiastic. My only very miniscule request is that someone stuff Wood Selig into a gym locker and lose the key. We can then all comfortably stand by andexpect nothing but rainbows and unicorns next season and in the seasons to follow.

Welcome Mike Jones. We're here for the miracles.
03-06-2024 08:04 AM
Advertisement

Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

Im excited for Mike Jones to put his print on the team, but any predictions at this point are pie in the sky. He's never even been a head coach before and we are putting the league on notice? Fans are extreme :)
03-06-2024 08:05 AM
beenjamminmore Offline
2nd String

(03-06-2024 08:05 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  Im excited for Mike Jones to put his print on the team, but any predictions at this point are pie in the sky. He's never even been a head coach before and we are putting the league on notice? (b)Fans are extreme :)(/b)

I suppose we can file this under Breaking News. 03-wink

I am very optimistic about the direction our mens basketball program is heading with the Mike Jones hire. I understand the excitement of the fans. We know Jones has deep connections throughout the HS and college basketball world, and this should help in recruiting. He can obviously coach the game well even though he does not have extensive experience at the college level.

I think most of us are expecting a lot from Mike Jones, and those expectations are far from baseless. I think getting back to the NCAA's within 3 seasons is not unrealistic.

It is definitely great to see so many long time fans who had all but given up on their hopes and expectations expressing how excited they are about Mike Jones being here.

GO MONARCHS!!!
03-06-2024 08:37 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Pardon me for being a little excited. I feel like a cloud of doom has finally lifted off of the program. I haven’t had hope for the Monarchs in hoops for years now. I know it won’t happen overnight, and may be a bit over hyped at the moment, but it’s been too long since there was any reason for optimism with this program. So yeah, I’m going to enjoy it and revel in this rebirth of Monarch basketball. Bring on the Mike Jones era! Maybe we will win at least one conference tournament game next season.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2024 08:43 AM by monarx.)
03-06-2024 08:43 AM
mac Offline
All American

(03-06-2024 08:37 AM)beenjamminmore Wrote:  
(03-06-2024 08:05 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  Im excited for Mike Jones to put his print on the team, but any predictions at this point are pie in the sky. He's never even been a head coach before and we are putting the league on notice? (b)Fans are extreme :)(/b)

I suppose we can file this under Breaking News. 03-wink

I am very optimistic about the direction our mens basketball program is heading with the Mike Jones hire. I understand the excitement of the fans. We know Jones has deep connections throughout the HS and college basketball world, and this should help in recruiting. He can obviously coach the game well even though he does not have extensive experience at the college level.

I think most of us are expecting a lot from Mike Jones, and those expectations are far from baseless. I think getting back to the NCAA's within 3 seasons is not unrealistic.

It is definitely great to see so many long time fans who had all but given up on their hopes and expectations expressing how excited they are about Mike Jones being here.

GO MONARCHS!!!

I’m one of those fans my friend. Was going to most games since the mid 1970’s. When Covid hit I stopped going. Saw no reason to come back after that first year. Went to the last game we played against VCU at the Ted. That was enough for me.

Now though, just based hope for the future alone, I’m getting back in the fold, can’t wait to get my tickets. Hearing all kinds of stuff that “may” be happening. Can’t wait! No clue of course if we will be back in the tournament again in three years. BUT, I love what I’m seeing already from Mike Jones.

There is hope and light ahead!
03-06-2024 08:49 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

I share your enthusiasm monarx. Don't let the naysayers influence yours. People make predictions on here all the time about things, and given ODU's basketball history, yours wasn't unreasonable. As for Mike Jones, his enthusiasm, his record of success at DeMatha, his record of success with USA basketball, his recruiting contacts, and his remarks at his ODU press conference are all worthy reasons for predicting better days ahead for the Monarchs.
03-06-2024 08:52 AM
Advertisement

bench jockey Offline
1st String

(03-06-2024 08:52 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  I share your enthusiasm monarx. Don't let the naysayers influence yours. People make predictions on here all the time about things, and given ODU's basketball history, yours wasn't unreasonable. As for Mike Jones, his enthusiasm, his record of success at DeMatha, his record of success with USA basketball, his recruiting contacts, and his remarks at his ODU press conference are all worthy reasons for predicting better days ahead for the Monarchs.

Agree
03-06-2024 09:08 AM
Stat Geek Offline
Heisman

You can be excited without posting silly stuff about the worst team in the conference putting the conference on notice. What would your reaction be when Coastal has a new coach and they put the conference on notice as well. Im guessing a chuckle. Its just silly.
03-06-2024 09:12 AM
benny_t Online
All American

So some people complain when the post are too negative but also if there is too much enthusiasm.
03-06-2024 09:12 AM
benny_t Online
All American

(03-06-2024 09:12 AM)Stat Geek Wrote:  You can be excited without posting silly stuff about the worst team in the conference putting the conference on notice. What would your reaction be when Coastal has a new coach and they put the conference on notice as well. Im guessing a chuckle. Its just silly.

It's not like he posted it on the conference board. It's our home board, let him be as much of a homer as he wants. If some Coastal fan wants to post that on their board good for them, it's not like a ton of outside fans are going to go there anyway.
03-06-2024 09:14 AM
757ODU Offline
All American

Well if we return 6 players from this year's team like he wants, and we count on them to be major contributors he will be correct in saying that we shouldn't be putting anyone on notice.
03-06-2024 09:21 AM
Advertisement

The Flagship Offline
All American

(03-06-2024 09:12 AM)benny_t Wrote:  So some people complain when the post are too negative but also if there is too much enthusiasm.

Most people don't have a problem with negative or enthusiastic comments. It's when the word "too" is in front of those descriptors. Of course, "too" is defined by the reader.

But far worse is when incorrect information is used as a basis for the negativism or enthusiasm. But we don't need to rally around that topic here.
03-06-2024 09:27 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I get the optimism

We kinda need to see if he can coach at this level first. I think many fans are "double counting" a lot of his perceived strengths. And not acknowledging that the two previous coaches were actually above average basketball coaches and quick to harp on their obvious flaws being that we have decades of data.
03-06-2024 09:56 AM
mac Offline
All American

(03-06-2024 09:56 AM)ODUR8R Wrote:  I get the optimism

We kinda need to see if he can coach at this level first. I think many fans are "double counting" a lot of his perceived strengths. And not acknowledging that the two previous coaches were actually above average basketball coaches and quick to harp on their obvious flaws being that we have decades of data.

Well, let’s put it this way. He wasn’t the head coach but he has been coaching against Duke , UNC, Villanova, UCLA, #1 ranked Purdue ,Michigan, Illinois and many others that are at at way different level than we are. And yes I know he wasn’t the head coach. It’s not like this guy is coming from Longwood! And he has been on the winning side of some of those games including UNC, DUKE, UCLA .
03-06-2024 10:23 AM
ODURallyFox Online
1st String

(03-06-2024 09:27 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  
(03-06-2024 09:12 AM)benny_t Wrote:  So some people complain when the post are too negative but also if there is too much enthusiasm.

Most people don't have a problem with negative or enthusiastic comments. It's when the word "too" is in front of those descriptors. Of course, "too" is defined by the reader.

But far worse is when incorrect information is used as a basis for the negativism or enthusiasm. But we don't need to rally around that topic here.

[Image: mjf-smile.gif]
03-06-2024 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.