[Image: McDonalds-Restaurant-Goes-Viral-for-Incr...isplay.png]
03-18-2024 10:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
RE: Good News
Its nice to see it on that window but it also irks me every year that people think Easter was the Resurrection. It was not, Easter has nothing to do with it. In fact its a pagan holiday celebrating a pagan god.

Christ was crucified on Passover, and if He was not then He is not our Passover Lamb and we cannot be saved by His death and Resurrection. So as much as some want to say "its not a big deal", actually it is. The fact that it happened at Passover is central to the Gospel.

For 1500 years the Jews sacrificed a Lamb at Passover to remember the Exodus and unknowingly point towards the Messiah and coming Savior 2000 years ago.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2024 12:33 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-18-2024 11:08 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(03-18-2024 11:08 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Its nice to see it on that window but it also irks me every year that people think Easter was the Reassertion. It was not, Easter has nothing to do with it. In fact its a pagan holiday celebrating a pagan god.

Christ was crucified on Passover, and if He was not then He is not our Passover Lamb and we cannot be saved by His death and Resurrection. So as much as some want to say "its not a big deal", actually it is. The fact that it happened at Passover is central to the Gospel.

For 1500 years the Jews sacrificed a Lamb at Passover to remember the Exodus and unknowingly point towards the Messiah and coming Savior 2000 years ago.

You're going to have a very difficult time convincing 1.378 billion Catholics - in 2021 - of that.
03-19-2024 06:54 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-18-2024 11:08 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Its nice to see it on that window but it also irks me every year that people think Easter was the Reassertion. It was not, Easter has nothing to do with it. In fact its a pagan holiday celebrating a pagan god.

Eric,

The date may have been chosen based upon a pagan holiday, but Easter is very much NOT a pagan holiday celebrating a pagan god. And even the date ties very closely with Passover. I'm not sure what denomination you are, but I can assure you that the connection to Passover is emphasized very heavily in mine (Anglican/Episcopal) every year, as it is in the Roman church as well. We trace our heritage back to the Celtic Christianity that existed in the British Isles before Augustine brought the Roman version around AD 600. Celtic Christianity was a combination of Orthodox Christianity, brought from Ephesus (another Celtic community, along with Brittany in France and northwestern Spain), and the nature worship that existed before. Many holy dates were set based upon natural phenomena (solstices, equinoxes, phases of the moon).

Until the Mel Gibson-produced movie about the crucifixion cane out, I never realized how differently the liturgical churches treat Holy Week, Good Friday, and Easter from many others. I attended the movie with a Bible study group to which I belonged, mostly members of Evangelical denominations. Their reactions in a study session afterwards was that they were shocked how brutal it was. I was like, "Dude, they killed him, how could that not be brutal." I have heard of churches celebrating Good Friday with choir performances. I remember something that I once heard Tony Campolo say to a group of Episcopal youth group directors, "I envy you Episcopalians. Baptists have to try to teach our congregations about Easter. You live it every Sunday." I also remeber a comment from Kerry Shook, pastor at a megachurch in The Woodlands, "I have to come up with a great sermon every week. If an Anglican priest misses with his sermon, he has a second chance to put it right with the Mass."
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2024 06:16 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
03-19-2024 08:11 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-19-2024 06:54 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

You're going to have a very difficult time convincing 1.378 billion Catholics - in 2021 - of that.

Rabbits, eggs, fertility, what could possibly be wrong? The message is clear, screw like rabbits, fertilize those eggs, and celebrate the Rites of Spring. Heck even the May pole is a phallic symbol wrapped in ribbon by dancing maidens and in the early days of its celebration marriages were suspended for the event. I'm surprised Congress has not recognized it yet, especially since another word for coitus is congress. What's in a word huh? We elect them to screw us = Congress.

So, the Easter bunny begins the orgy which culminates with the May celebration if you are a pagan and into that kind of thing, like most of public education would encourage today!
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2024 08:26 AM by JRsec.)
03-19-2024 08:23 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC

Or the 230 million Orthodox Christians in Russia, Greece, etc.

Or the largest branches of Protestantism (Anglicans, Methodists, and Lutherans). They all give priority to Easter over Good Friday.

Quite frankly Eric, it's difficult to convince anyone when you keep bringing up strawmen. Catholics don't have a concept of "Reassertion."

If you're interested, The US Catholic Conference of Bishops says: "The word "Easter" comes from Old English, meaning simply the "East." The sun which rises in the East, bringing light, warmth, and hope, is a symbol for the Christian of the rising Christ, who is the true Light of the world.... The Easter Vigil is the "Mother of All Vigils" and Easter Sunday is the greatest of all Sundays. The season of Easter is the most important of all liturgical times, which Catholics celebrate as the Lord's resurrection from the dead, culminating in his Ascension to the Father and sending of the Holy Spirit upon the Church. The octave of Easter comprises the eight days which stretch from the first to the second Sunday. It is a way of prolonging the joy of the initial day. There are 50 days of Easter from the first Sunday to Pentecost. It is characterized, above all, by the joy of glorified life and the victory over death expressed most fully in the great resounding cry of the Christian: Alleluia! All faith flows from faith in the resurrection: "If Christ has not been raised, then empty is our preaching; empty, too, is your faith." (1 Cor 15:14)

https://www.usccb.org/prayer-worship/lit...ear/easter
03-19-2024 08:31 AM
Advertisement

Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
Oh boy, lets get this thread moved to the other spot....... stat.....
03-19-2024 08:53 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Honestly it looks kind of tacky on a McDonalds.........

Also there's a pagan component of Easter & the Christian holy day can both be true.

But there's something off the Christian holy day doesn't correspond w/ Passover on the calendar.......
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2024 09:38 AM by Bronco'14.)
03-19-2024 09:16 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-18-2024 10:56 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Happy Easter!

[Image: McDonalds-Restaurant-Goes-Viral-for-Incr...isplay.png]

But has their ice cream machine been resurrected?!
03-19-2024 09:58 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-19-2024 08:31 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

Or the largest branches of Protestantism (Anglicans, Methodists, and Lutherans). They all give priority to Easter over Good Friday.

Quite frankly Eric, it's difficult to convince anyone when you keep bringing up strawmen. Catholics don't have a concept of "Reassertion."

If you're interested, The US Catholic Conference of Bishops says: "The word "Easter" comes from Old English, meaning simply the "East." The sun which rises in the East, bringing light, warmth, and hope, is a symbol for the Christian of the rising Christ, who is the true Light of the world.... The Easter Vigil is the "Mother of All Vigils" and Easter Sunday is the greatest of all Sundays. The season of Easter is the most important of all liturgical times, which Catholics celebrate as the Lord's resurrection from the dead, culminating in his Ascension to the Father and sending of the Holy Spirit upon the Church. The octave of Easter comprises the eight days which stretch from the first to the second Sunday. It is a way of prolonging the joy of the initial day. There are 50 days of Easter from the first Sunday to Pentecost. It is characterized, above all, by the joy of glorified life and the victory over death expressed most fully in the great resounding cry of the Christian: Alleluia! All faith flows from faith in the resurrection: "If Christ has not been raised, then empty is our preaching; empty, too, is your faith." (1 Cor 15:14)

https://www.usccb.org/prayer-worship/lit...ear/easter

And if the actual date of Easter came from a pagan tradition, so what? The resurrection of the fields in the Spring ties closely with the theme of Easter.

Its much more closely tied to actual history than Christmas.
03-19-2024 10:00 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(03-19-2024 08:31 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(03-19-2024 06:54 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  You're going to have a very difficult time convincing 1.378 billion Catholics - in 2021 - of that.

You can get defensive all you want but its not going to change the fact that Jesus was crucified at PASSOVER, and that is central to the Gospel. We can get into a historical debate but its not even necessary, all we have to do is look at our Bible.

There are 7 "feasts" (mo'ed, divine appointments) appointed high holy days/weeks in the OT law that the Israelites lived their entire lives around. These are not man mande, they were given by God in the Law. Passover, Unleavened bread, First fruits, Pentecost, The feast of Trumpets, Day of Atonement and feast of Tabernacles. The 7 "feasts (divine appointments)" all lay out the work of Christ starting some 1500 years before His coming. The first four are the spring feasts and lay out the events of His first coming, the last three are the fall feasts and lay out the events of His second coming.

The 7 begin with PASSOVER where a lamb was sacrificed and its blood covered the sins of Gods people. It not only began the exodus but was a 1500 year foreshadowing of the coming Savior who would be the Passover Lamb of the whole world to forgive the sins of all who believed in the death burial and Resurrection of Jesus.

Easter has nothing in the universe to do with any of this, its a man made tradition that is 1000% unbibilcal and totally ignores the KEY point of Christ being crucified at Passover.

Its rather comical that you defensively point a finger at me over "straw men" as you try and make a big deal out of an obvious typo.

You can quote a million different popes and bishops, its not going to change the fact that Easter is not connected at all to the Resurrection except as a man made tradition.

No one is going to hell over this issue, but there are a lot of wrongful things we can do that do not send us to hell. That does not justify them. And we sure as heaven should not get all defensive when people CORRECTLY point out Easter is not biblical and has nothing to do with the Resurrection other than man made tradition.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2024 01:16 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-19-2024 01:04 PM
Advertisement

450bench Online

I Root For: Memphis
07-coffee3
03-19-2024 01:56 PM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
While all true Eric you ignore the FACT of how well the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, unicorns and Leprechauns with pots of gold give us that warm feel good fuzzy moments in life.

Even Conway Twitty knew this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0XbM7G-zJDY
03-19-2024 01:57 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Eric, take this with the good intention it is meant to carry - being a snobby Christian is detrimental to bringing people to Christ. Easter gets the unfaithful exposure to the story and promise of Jesus. It creates conversation about the resurrection and presents an opportunity to spread the gospel. You can get into precise details later.
03-19-2024 02:29 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
So, where is this particular McDonalds?
03-19-2024 02:37 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(03-18-2024 11:08 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Its nice to see it on that window but it also irks me every year that people think Easter was the Resurrection. It was not, Easter has nothing to do with it. In fact its a pagan holiday celebrating a pagan god.

I am sorry Eric, I am going to have to correct you. According to the Book of Exodus, the Passover relates to when God instructed Moses and Aaron and the Israelite people in Egypt to mark their houses with the blood of a lamb so that the Lord would "pass over" their house and spare their firstborn son. Exodus 12.
03-19-2024 03:02 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Online
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I see nothing wrong with it, as a matter of fact I applaud it. Who cares about semantics the point is right on. We celebrate Christmas as Christ's birth but it really wasn't on that day. Experts think it was sometime in April but really what does it matter? To me the important thing is that Christ is remembered and that's all that matters. The fact that in that particular McDs they didn't paint a rabbit and eggs is much more telling. It's about Christ and that is the important thing.

If someone gives you a birthday present and it's not on the right day do you feel slighted or are you moved because they went to the trouble of buying you a gift and REMEMBERING you and wanting to make you feel wanted? In other words...
it's the thought that counts.

Some of you act like Sheldon Cooper. It's time to take something for that OCD.
03-19-2024 03:29 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(03-19-2024 02:29 PM)banker Wrote:  Eric, take this with the good intention it is meant to carry - being a snobby Christian is detrimental to bringing people to Christ. Easter gets the unfaithful exposure to the story and promise of Jesus. It creates conversation about the resurrection and presents an opportunity to spread the gospel. You can get into precise details later.

Its now "snobby" to point out the truth?

I celebrated Easter most of my life, I never once remotely suggested I was better than anyone on this. I didn't attack any specific person over this, I just pointed out the truth.

If we are going to attack each other for simply speaking the truth, then somewhere we have gone off the rails.

It should not offensive to anyone to be willing to say on Easter that this is not really when this happen and not actually how this went down, that the death and Resurrection is actually about Passover and that is a key aspect of the Resurrection.

That should not be offensive or "snobby" to anyone. Particularly when it comes to Christ and the Resurrection. If we can't just speak the truth on that without offending each other, something is indeed wrong here.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2024 04:50 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-19-2024 04:34 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(03-19-2024 03:02 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
(03-18-2024 11:08 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Its nice to see it on that window but it also irks me every year that people think Easter was the Resurrection. It was not, Easter has nothing to do with it. In fact its a pagan holiday celebrating a pagan god.

I am sorry Eric, I am going to have to correct you. According to the Book of Exodus, the Passover relates to when God instructed Moses and Aaron and the Israelite people in Egypt to mark their houses with the blood of a lamb so that the Lord would "pass over" their house and spare their firstborn son. Exodus 12.

You must have misunderstood me or I wasn't clear enough. That's not a correction, you agreed with me.

The first Passover was the exodus and the Israelites were commanded to keep the Passover for all generations to remember the Exodus. What they did not realize is there was a much bigger fulfillment of the Passover as it was pointing to the death burial and Resurrection of Jesus 1500 years after the Exodus.

This is not my spin on things, this is what has been taught for 2000 years. Its just what the Bible teaches word for word and what has been taught for 2000 years of Christianity, long before you are I ever came long.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2024 04:55 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-19-2024 04:39 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

It should not be an offense to just admit and acknowledge the truth on this every Easter. How is that wrong?

It shouldn't be an offense to simply acknowledge that Easter is not actually when this happened and PASSOVER is actually when these things took place.

That should not anger people to point out the truth, it should not cause strife and hard feelings, it should not cause us to attack each other. Easter is not going away after this many centuries, but that does not mean the truth should either.
03-19-2024 04:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.