Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Realignment scenario question - Maryland
Bookmark and Share
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
Realignment scenario question - Maryland
Ok, I don't think anyone disagrees that a lot of money is a nice thing.

But I was wondering:

If North Carolina leaves the ACC for the P2, do you think Maryland might consider returning to the ACC?

Yes, I think we all know what the media deal are, and that this would be less money-per-school.

But I think there are upsides.

For example, travel costs for all of their sports.

A return to their long-term rivals.

Different scheduled opponents for their various sports, which could affect season standings.

The ACC has recently made some changes that winners get additional money

And I'm wondering if there might be other upsides to this idea as well.
03-25-2024 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
RE: Realignment scenario question - Maryland
Florida State and Clemson are spending a ton of money battling the ACC right now to leave. If, they leave before the contract expires, they will be spending another ton of money. Why would anyone in their right minds try to leave the P2?
03-25-2024 12:51 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

(03-25-2024 12:51 PM)cubucks Wrote:  Florida State and Clemson are spending a ton of money battling the ACC right now to leave. If, they leave before the contract expires, they will be spending another ton of money. Why would anyone in their right minds try to leave the P2?

I say this with no disrespect to any of the schools mentioned: Maryland is not FSU or Clemson. And vice versa.

While I think we all understand the general motivations of money, sometimes, if you get "enough", money isn't the be-all and end-all of the motivations.

For example, in football, there could be a benefit to not playing Ohio State (or Michigan, or, or...) for what seems lately like an automatic loss. One could assemble a "strong schedule" without needing to do that.

With FSU and Clemson leaving, I think there's a niche of "football power" that opens up, and I think Maryland could conceivably look into potentially sliding into that. It might be interesting to see their games vs Louisville or ND.

And even without NC, I think it could be said that the ACC is pretty strong on the basketball front too.
03-25-2024 01:18 PM
NotoriousOne Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Michigan
I’m with cubucks on this. Not sure I see any member of the BIG or SEC leaving those conferences voluntarily. Makes no financial sense unless the school in question is looking to deemphasize sports.
03-25-2024 01:28 PM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
Their basketball would probably be more prominent. Football is likely same-ish. Might be a similar situation where UConn turns down more money and a better football conference to return to a familiar place where they thrived. In hindsight, not a bad move by UConn though they got a lot of flack for it at the time.

UMd would be better off pushing the B1G to add UNC-UVA-Duke at half shares, and I think the more the ACC destabilizes, the better that option sounds to them.
03-25-2024 02:53 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
They definitely would not go back
03-27-2024 03:53 PM
ENCterrapin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Maryland
Even considering the politics, an ACC without UNC does not improve anything about the ACC from a Terp POV.

From a Terp POV, I just want more east coast schools in the B1G. If the B1G grab UVA and UNC, then the Terps win realignment imo. UMD just needs more time to build history with other B1G schools.

An SEC invite will never come to College Park, so unless the B1G kicks UMD out, WE AREN'T LEAVING!!!04-cheers
04-09-2024 01:12 PM
Advertisement

Skyhawk Offline
All American

(04-09-2024 01:12 PM)ENCterrapin Wrote:  Even considering the politics, an ACC without UNC does not improve anything about the ACC from a Terp POV.

From a Terp POV, I just want more east coast schools in the B1G. If the B1G grab UVA and UNC, then the Terps win realignment imo. UMD just needs more time to build history with other B1G schools.

An SEC invite will never come to College Park, so unless the B1G kicks UMD out, WE AREN'T LEAVING!!!04-cheers

Besides VA or NC, who would you, as a Maryland fan, consider your school's rivals to be?
04-09-2024 02:56 PM
ENCterrapin Offline
2nd String

(04-09-2024 02:56 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  
(04-09-2024 01:12 PM)ENCterrapin Wrote:  Even considering the politics, an ACC without UNC does not improve anything about the ACC from a Terp POV.

Besides VA or NC, who would you, as a Maryland fan, consider your school's rivals to be?

Duke, NC State, West Virginia, Penn State. Maryland vs Clemson died in the 80's imo
04-09-2024 03:46 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

(04-09-2024 03:46 PM)ENCterrapin Wrote:  

Duke, NC State, West Virginia, Penn State. Maryland vs Clemson died in the 80's imo

Thank you. That's interesting.

What would you think about VA and Duke being added to the Big10, but not NC? (If, for example, NC goes to the SEC.)
04-09-2024 03:53 PM
Advertisement

ENCterrapin Offline
2nd String

(04-09-2024 03:53 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  

What would you think about VA and Duke being added to the Big10, but not NC? (If, for example, NC goes to the SEC.)

If the people in power are ok with a UVA/Duke combo, I'm all for it.

Then go after GT and a Florida school(I would be in shock if B1G can get both ACC Florida schools).

The last two spots can be used as a final offer for ND and grabbing the best left in either the northeast or out west.
04-09-2024 04:14 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

(04-09-2024 04:14 PM)ENCterrapin Wrote:  

Then go after GT and a Florida school(I would be in shock if B1G can get both ACC Florida schools).

The last two spots can be used as a final offer for ND and grabbing the best left in either the northeast or out west.

I've thought for a long while that VA, Duke, GT, and Miami, would be a solid move by the Big10, so obviously I like you're thinking on this : )

I just was curious with this thread if there was a scenario where Maryland might be interested in a return to the ACC.

The responses seem to indicate that it's pretty unlikely lol
04-09-2024 04:40 PM
stechs02 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ohio State
(04-09-2024 04:40 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  
(04-09-2024 02:56 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  Besides VA or NC, who would you, as a Maryland fan, consider your school's rivals to be?

I've thought for a long while that VA, Duke, GT, and Miami, would be a solid move by the Big10, so obviously I like you're thinking on this : )

I just was curious with this thread if there was a scenario where Maryland might be interested in a return to the ACC.

This is a very realistic list and I like it. Just don't think they bring enough to the table to warrant a seat. If the B1G decides to move forward with your scenario. I believe you add two more out West and call it a day. My personal bias is Arizona and Colorado, but Could see it being Stanford and Arizona State.
04-10-2024 03:07 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

(04-10-2024 03:07 PM)stechs02 Wrote:  
(04-09-2024 04:40 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  
(04-09-2024 03:46 PM)ENCterrapin Wrote:  Duke, NC State, West Virginia, Penn State. Maryland vs Clemson died in the 80's imo

This is a very realistic list and I like it. Just don't think they bring enough to the table to warrant a seat. If the B1G decides to move forward with your scenario. I believe you add two more out West and call it a day. My personal bias is Arizona and Colorado, but Could see it being Stanford and Arizona State.

I think Kansas and Colorado to reunite the Big8 schools
04-10-2024 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.