Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Biggest opposing fan takeover you’ve seen
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Being a college sports fan for most of my life I have seen hundreds, perhaps thousands of events live. Living in a transient tourist city like Charleston with so many transplants it is very easy to see opposing fans visiting and taking over an arena.

What I have seen:

Dayton, St. Bonaventure, West Virginia at the Charleston Classic. All of those teams have taken 2/3 or more of our arena here. Dayton has played in that event multiple times and it has felt like a Dayton home game. Last year against Houston 95% of the crowd was rooting for them.

North Carolina against Charleston in 2021. Legit 1/3 of the crowd or more was rooting for UNC that night. Including folks in suits sitting next to me. Felt like a neutral site game there was so many fans even though it was Charleston’s home game.

Texas baseball against Charleston in 2022. Legit close to half the crowd was rooting for Texas in like a 1,500 seat stadium. Kind of incredible to see, even with a national fan base like that halfway across the country.

What have you seen?
04-15-2024 08:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Biggest opposing fan takeover you’ve seen
Illini fans always take over when they play at Northwestern for basketball, although NU has jacked up a lot of the prices for that game as a result. Plenty of other Big Ten teams have that rep of taking over Northwestern’s football stadium - Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.

All the Chicago pro sports teams other than the White Sox have pretty heavy reputations of taking over stadiums whenever they’re halfway decent and it’s a location with a lot of transplants (e.g. Phoenix, the Florida markets, anything in Las Vegas, Atlanta, Nashville, etc.).
04-15-2024 08:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-15-2024 08:42 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Illini fans always take over when they play at Northwestern for basketball, although NU has jacked up a lot of the prices for that game as a result. Plenty of other Big Ten teams have that rep of taking over Northwestern’s football stadium - Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.

All the Chicago pro sports teams other than the White Sox have pretty heavy reputations of taking over stadiums whenever they’re halfway decent and it’s a location with a lot of transplants (e.g. Phoenix, the Florida markets, anything in Las Vegas, Atlanta, Nashville, etc.).

I've been to a number of Georgia-Georgia Tech football games in Atlanta and most years, Georgia fans are 50-60%. Also been to a number of Texas-Rice or Texas-Houston football games in Houston. Texas-Rice basketball was similar. Texas fans are usually 50-60%.

And yes, Chicago Cubs' fans travel. At Cincinnati's old Riverfront stadium I went to a game that was probably 25% Cubs fans. Cardinals and Mets fans travel pretty well to Atlanta and Houston, but more like 15-20%.
04-15-2024 08:47 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Alabama at Duke. Duke brought in temporary stands. 80% Alabama fans maybe more.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using CSNbbs mobile app
04-15-2024 08:58 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Indiana State at Hinkle Fieldhouse. That place holds 9100, at least 8800 were Indiana St fans. In the UGA-SHU semifinal after Indiana St's game, there were only 300-400 people remaining in the 2nd half, and half of those were leftover Indiana St fans.
That said, it was a unique circumstance with Indiana St being 80 miles from Indy, and UGA/SHU/Utah being faraway.

Otherwise, it was the Nebraska @ Notre Dame game I attended in 2000. This was at the prime of Nebraska's popularity and Nebraska was ranked #1 in the country. The stadium was 2/3 Nebraska fans. I wish smart phones existed back then -- I just remember people walking in/out of the stadium with some sort of "walkie" that had an antenna where they could watch a blurred feed of NBC. Can't recall what the device was called.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2024 09:13 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
04-15-2024 09:05 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Hawaii versus Long Beach State in the 2022 men's volleyball national championship match at Pauley Pavilion. Although the 49ers should have had a big advantage in fan support given LBSU's proximity to UCLA, at least as many Warrior fans were in attendance and they were louder and more visible from beginning to end as they rooted Hawaii on to its second straight title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JJFf8evDWs

As a general matter, there are so many Hawaii transplants living in California that it's not unusual for UH fans to take over Big West games or matches there, especially in traditionally lightly-attended sports like men's volleyball and women's basketball. I was recently watching a UH baseball game being played at Cal State Bakersfield on ESPN+ and the announcers commented multiple times on the fact that Hawaii fans were making most of the noise in a tight game that UH eventually pulled out.

For basically the same reason -- the large number of Hawaii transplants in Las Vegas -- the Big West men's and women's basketball tournament games in Henderson are almost like UH home games. The school's marching band and cheerleaders and dance teams all raise money throughout basketball season to cover the cost of traveling to the tournament, and UH fans typically make up half or more of the attendees.
04-15-2024 09:34 PM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(04-15-2024 08:47 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(04-15-2024 08:42 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Illini fans always take over when they play at Northwestern for basketball, although NU has jacked up a lot of the prices for that game as a result. Plenty of other Big Ten teams have that rep of taking over Northwestern’s football stadium - Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.

I've been to a number of Georgia-Georgia Tech football games in Atlanta and most years, Georgia fans are 50-60%. Also been to a number of Texas-Rice or Texas-Houston football games in Houston. Texas-Rice basketball was similar. Texas fans are usually 50-60%.

And yes, Chicago Cubs' fans travel. At Cincinnati's old Riverfront stadium I went to a game that was probably 25% Cubs fans. Cardinals and Mets fans travel pretty well to Atlanta and Houston, but more like 15-20%.

...never attended a game in Atlanta back in the day when Auburn and Tech played yearly, but have heard Auburn had a big portion of Grant Field on average, especially in the early 80s - Dye - Bo era...
04-15-2024 09:42 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(04-15-2024 09:42 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(04-15-2024 08:47 PM)bullet Wrote:  

...never attended a game in Atlanta back in the day when Auburn and Tech played yearly, but have heard Auburn had a big portion of Grant Field on average, especially in the early 80s - Dye - Bo era...

Didn't attend any of the UGA-ND games either, but the last UGA @ ND game I was told that UGA fans outnumbered ND fans and ND was furious!! 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
04-16-2024 01:27 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Went to see Paige Bueckers play at a "St. John's road game". Felt like a UConn home game.

At least when I saw her play at Villanova I could tell there were some Villanova fans.
04-16-2024 05:06 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
Whoever Vasndy is playing.
04-16-2024 07:12 AM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Georgia at Notre Dame. Legendary.

[Image: 20170909183329.0.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024 08:09 AM by DFW HOYA.)
04-16-2024 08:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
whenever the Steelers play in Charlotte its hilarious. I imagine the Cowboys can outdraw the Panthers also.

While it wasn't by ticket sales, The App State- South Carolina game in 2019 the mountaineer fans were MUCH louder than So Car fans.
04-16-2024 08:13 AM
SFLFB Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USF
Being a USF fan, I don't like this thread.
04-16-2024 08:21 AM
freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU
One I have personally been a part of:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...bilt-crowd
04-16-2024 08:24 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
When Vanderbilt hosts Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee in football ... it's brutal. Probably 80 percent of the fans are non-Commodore fans. These folks enjoy visiting Nashville and they know they will likely see a win on the field.
04-16-2024 08:39 AM
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Even South Carolina. They never have a ton of road fans unless it is a Clemson road game when they are good, but Vandy? Usually half the stadium is Gamecock fans.
04-16-2024 09:23 AM
Advertisement

ccbfan Online
Special Teams

I Root For:
Pretty much any Uconn game at MSG.
04-16-2024 10:58 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
You guys are talking about 50/50 stadiums, and even less. I'm talking worse than 80/20.

04-16-2024 11:54 AM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
(04-16-2024 11:54 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  You guys are talking about 50/50 stadiums, and even less. I'm talking worse than 80/20.

I'd be proud of Duke if they even made up 20%. Think about how many private jets from New Jersey had to fly down to even make that much!
04-16-2024 12:50 PM
rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
Any time the LA Chargers host an AFC West Division rival, their stadium fills up with mostly opposing fans.
04-16-2024 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.