Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the Sun Belt needed one more school, who would it be?
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
If the Sun Belt needed one more school, who would it be?
The Sun Belt seems pretty solid, consisting of schools that seem to want to be together. That said, if the American Athletic were to offer briefcases full of cash from their (currently) more valuable television contract, who knows what would happen?

So, I wonder: If the Sun Belt needed one more school as a backfill, which school would that be?

The reason I ask is that the possibility of getting into the Sun Belt seems to factor into the long-term thinking of several Conference USA schools right now. The MAC appears open to adding Western Kentucky, but there are at least some Hilltopper fans who seem to think it would be better for Western Kentucky to sit tight and wait for something to open up in the Sun Belt or the American Athletic.

Such a strategy would only make sense if either conference is a realistic option, though. It doesn't seem clear (to me at least) that Western Kentucky would be near the top of a Sun Belt expansion list. Sun Belt fans had a thread going (here) on whether they should invite Western Kentucky, and most seemed down on such an addition. Additionally, MUHerd76, who seems to have good sources, had this to say:

(02-28-2024 09:10 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  There are currently only 3-4 teams that move the needle of interest for the Sun Belt. WKU is not one of them. Trust me on that one.

So, what would a Sun Belt expansion list look like? I wonder if these schools would be more likely to move the needle for the Sun Belt:

-- Florida International -- While the athletics department is not winning many championships, it's in a big market near a lot of high school football talent.
-- Middle Tennessee -- If having a school within an hour's drive to Nashville matters to you, this checks that box.
-- Liberty -- They are well funded and having some success on the football field at the moment.

But I haven't studied this carefully. What do others think?
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 11:53 AM by Schadenfreude.)
04-18-2024 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
RE: If the Sun Belt needed one more school, who would it be?
(04-18-2024 10:41 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  The Sun Belt seems pretty solid, consisting of schools that seem to want to be together. That said, if the American Athletic were to offer briefcases full of cash from their (currently) more valuable television contract, who knows what would happen?

So, I wonder: If the Sun Belt needed one more school as a backfill, which school would that be?

The reason I ask is that the possibility of getting into the Sun Belt seems to factor into the long-term thinking of several Conference USA schools right now. The MAC appears open to adding Western Kentucky, but there are at least some Hilltopper fans who seem to think it would be better for Western Kentucky to sit tight and wait for something to open up in the Sun Belt or the American Athletic.

Such a strategy would only make sense if either conference is a realistic option, though. It doesn't seem clear (to me at least) that Western Kentucky would be near the top of a Sun Belt expansion list. Sun Belt fans had a thread going (here) on whether they should invite Western Kentucky, and most seemed down on such an addition. Additionally, MUHerd76, who seems to have good sources, had this to say:

(02-28-2024 09:10 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  There are currently only 3-4 teams that move the needle of interest for the Sun Belt. WKU is not one of them. Trust me on that one.

So, what would a Sun Belt expansion list look like? I wonder if these schools would be more likely to move the needle for the Sun Belt:

-- Florida International -- While the athletics department is not winning many championships, it's in a big market near a lot of high school football talent.
-- Middle Tennessee -- If having a school within an hour's drive to Nashville matters to you, this checks that box.
-- Liberty -- They are well funded and having some success on the football field at the comment.

If I was the Sun Belt, I would hang tight to see what happens to the AAC over the next 3-5 years. If the AAC falls apart then you could go get ECU or FAU or UAB.
04-18-2024 10:45 AM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(04-18-2024 10:41 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  The Sun Belt seems pretty solid, consisting of schools that seem to want to be together. That said, if the American Athletic were to offer briefcases full of cash from their (currently) more valuable television contract, who knows what would happen?

-- Liberty -- They are well funded and having some success on the football field at the comment.

ECU, but the AAC would have to implode for that to happen. We only add schools that increase our media payout. We won't add a school just to add one.
04-18-2024 10:47 AM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
That thread proposed expanding to add WKU and the consensus was no. If we found ourselves in need of a backfill they would definitely be near the top of the list. It’d also depend on who we’re replacing La Tech would fit out west but don’t know about the politics. From who you listed, MT would be a viable addition but the other two hard no’s.
04-18-2024 10:49 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-18-2024 10:49 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  That thread proposed expanding to add WKU and the consensus was no. If we found ourselves in need of a backfill they would definitely be near the top of the list. It’d also depend on who we’re replacing La Tech would fit out west but don’t know about the politics. From who you listed, MT would be a viable addition but the other two hard no’s.

So, if the Sun Belt lost a member, Western Kentucky would be a logical potential backfill? Interesting. It may be that I was misreading that thread, and that MUHerd76 was speaking only of schools that would move the needle enough to go beyond 14.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 11:08 AM by Schadenfreude.)
04-18-2024 11:08 AM
freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU
The SBC might be interested in expansion for ECU, UAB, Memphis, or UTSA. The likelihood of those programs moving from the AAC right now are basically zero.

WKU is not an expansion candidate for the SBC. Not on their "wishlist". We are on their backfill list though. If they lose someone (say a Georgia State or Texas State to the AAC) then I think we would be one of their top options. That is assuming that the AAC able to poach from the SBC.
04-18-2024 11:21 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Arkansas Tech!!!!04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 11:23 AM by bullet.)
04-18-2024 11:23 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
It's obviously San Jose State.
04-18-2024 11:39 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I would think the Sun Belt would prefer East Carolina to any other G5 member but I'm not sure ECU would leave the AAC (unless the league is crumbling).

Western Kentucky would do well in the Belt. As a MTSU fan, I would hate for C-USA to lose the Topper program, however.
04-18-2024 11:55 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
As a fan these are the schools I'd be interested in seeing:

The perfect situation happens and we're expanding beyond 14:
ECU
Memphis
UAB
UTSA

Lost a member and need to backfill West:
LaTech
MoSt

Lost a member and need to backfill East:
WKU
UDel
Toledo
Ohio
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 12:14 PM by Yosef Himself.)
04-18-2024 12:13 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(04-18-2024 12:13 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  As a fan these are the schools I'd be interested in seeing:

ECU
Memphis
UAB
UTSA

LaTech
MoSt

WKU
UDel
Toledo
Ohio

ECU
Memphis - You don't want to be in a conference with Memphis
UAB
UTSA

LaTech
MoSt - they offer nothing

WKU
UDel
Toledo - really out of our footprint
Ohio
04-18-2024 12:22 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
Boise St. The answer to this question for any Conference is always Boise St.
04-18-2024 12:25 PM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
(04-18-2024 10:41 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  

-- Liberty -- They are well funded and having some success on the football field at the moment.

I think you're aiming too low. In the context of past conversations over there, I'm pretty sure the "3-4 schools" comment has to do with AAC schools, not CUSA schools. Think ECU, UAB, Memphis, maybe UTSA.

The SBC likely sees WKU as the best candidate in CUSA (they were the first alternate for 2021 SBC expansion, per Brett McMurphy), but there's no real reason or need to go above 14, especially with the uncertain futures of the ACC and Pac-12.

There's a scenario where some western AAC schools go Pac-12, some eastern AAC schools go ACC, and the remaining ones are stuck (ECU, UNC-Charlotte, FAU, UAB, Temple, Tulsa, Wichita State, Army, Navy). That group of 9 schools would have an awful time trying to convince SBC members to come to the AAC, so much so that a couple of them might join the conference they're trying to poach from.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 12:50 PM by Yosef181.)
04-18-2024 12:27 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(04-18-2024 12:25 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Boise St. The answer to this question for any Conference is always Boise St.

Waiting for the Great Boise Auction among the conferences
04-18-2024 12:39 PM
rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
While the Sun Belt doesn't need more members, I wonder what it might do if a school like FIU were to approach the league and indicate a willingness to accept a lesser share of media money from the TV deal for a period of time. Would that be enough to sway the Sun Belt to take the Panthers?
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 12:42 PM by rtist.)
04-18-2024 12:41 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
It seems many of us agree on two things:

1. The AAC, after losing one member, might actually have a tougher time luring one Sun Belt member than convincing two or more to join (not that successfully doing the latter would be easy).

2. If the AAC loses three or more members, the Sun Belt likely would be in a stronger position to poach the AAC than vice versa.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 12:43 PM by bill dazzle.)
04-18-2024 12:41 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(04-18-2024 12:39 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(04-18-2024 12:25 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Boise St. The answer to this question for any Conference is always Boise St.

Waiting for the Great Boise Auction among the conferences

I'm not supposed to say anything, but I did overhear an interesting conversation the other day when I was visiting David St + to talk about my blog. Apparently, the B1G has offered Boise St the other half of both Washington's and Oregon's shares in perpetuity, but Boise St took that offer to the SEC and is giving us a chance to come up with something better. I expect the bidding war to become public any day now.
04-18-2024 12:46 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
Missouri state or Delaware. Most others have bad blood or their eyes on the door.
04-18-2024 12:47 PM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(04-18-2024 12:22 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  Lost a member and need to backfill West:
LaTech

Not to speak against my own self-interest here, but baseball. Baseball is what Missouri State adds (take it from someone trying to prepare himself for a particular unappealing outcome).

Fortunately, baseball is also on the pro side of the ledger for Tech.
04-18-2024 12:53 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(04-18-2024 12:53 PM)inutech Wrote:  
(04-18-2024 12:22 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  Lost a member and need to backfill West:
LaTech

Not to speak against my own self-interest here, but baseball. Baseball is what Missouri State adds (take it from someone trying to prepare himself for a particular unappealing outcome).

Fortunately, baseball is also on the pro side of the ledger for Tech.

Both LaTech and MoSt have good baseball and decent basketball past. Lady Techsters especially. MoSt has a pretty big basketball budget.
04-18-2024 12:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.