Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SFA may be on the move
Bookmark and Share
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
SFA may be on the move
I have seen multiple posts on X concerning SFA considering a conference move. One post hinted at a move back down to the Southland.
04-23-2024 09:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Outsider Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & Tulane
RE: SFA may be on the move
One thing the WAC did was spread itself too thin trying to keep schools with both different visions/focus together that also had a large geographical spread. CUSA could offer some help with more unified vision but the spread would still be bad. The SLC offers a low spread but schools with different visions and focus.
04-23-2024 09:49 AM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(04-23-2024 09:49 AM)Outsider Wrote:  One thing the WAC did was spread itself too thin trying to keep schools with both different visions/focus together that also had a large geographical spread. CUSA could offer some help with more unified vision but the spread would still be bad. The SLC offers a low spread but schools with different visions and focus.

I realize that I am speaking from a Texas-bias, but the league was onto something with the West and Southwest divisions. Bring in a sizeable number of members to avoid being killed off, break them into regions to "manage" costs.
CUSA pulling Sam and New Mexico State really caused that to sputter.

SFA recently lost their Athletic Director to LA Tech and their students just voted an athletic fee referendum.
As much as they would like the improved MBB seeding of the WAC, they need to win the league to get in and have had back-to-back middle of the road seasons.

Their East Texas brothers (Sam and Lamar) that made the trek to the WAC have left.
Nac is still close enough the Louisiana border that they go from being the eastern most team in a league to the near middle of Southland.
04-23-2024 12:12 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

If it is the Southland, then if I’m an SFA fan, I am concerned about the direction of the university. As the first major decision for the new president, it would appear to be a give up and move down step. I would then be apprehensive about the future decisions and directions for the school.
04-23-2024 12:57 PM
UIWElite Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UIW
(04-23-2024 12:57 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  If it is the Southland, then if I’m an SFA fan, I am concerned about the direction of the university. As the first major decision for the new president, it would appear to be a give up and move down step. I would then be apprehensive about the future decisions and directions for the school.

It’s better to have a roof over your head, than to be left out on the street.
04-23-2024 01:48 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

(04-23-2024 01:48 PM)UIWElite Wrote:  
(04-23-2024 12:57 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  If it is the Southland, then if I’m an SFA fan, I am concerned about the direction of the university. As the first major decision for the new president, it would appear to be a give up and move down step. I would then be apprehensive about the future decisions and directions for the school.

I honestly don't see SFA being left out on any street. They have too long of a history. The same for Tarleton or ACU. I think it's a primarily a matter of how much they are willing to invest into any move they decide to make.
04-23-2024 01:53 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Does anyone have a better SOURCE than X twitter for this rumor? Does not seem to be reliable on the surface.

Maybe it's just some folks "surmising" this will happen since the students voted down the athletic fee increase And losing their AD recently.
(04-23-2024 09:02 AM)TexanFan Wrote:  I have seen multiple posts on X concerning SFA considering a conference move. One post hinted at a move back down to the Southland.

EDIT--never mind; starting to see this on Major Madness, WacHoopsNation,etc. This probably has
Legs".

Chris Grant> Brian Thornton?

WAC may be down to nine teams.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2024 10:13 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
04-23-2024 09:30 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(04-23-2024 09:30 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Does anyone have a better SOURCE than X twitter for this rumor? Does not seem to be reliable on the surface.

Maybe it's just some folks "surmising" this will happen since the students voted down the athletic fee increase And losing their AD recently.
(04-23-2024 09:02 AM)TexanFan Wrote:  I have seen multiple posts on X concerning SFA considering a conference move. One post hinted at a move back down to the Southland.

EDIT--never mind; starting to see this on Major Madness, WacHoopsNation,etc. This probably has
Legs".

Original source was College AD. Matt Brown confirmed it's 60/40 they go Southland on the realignment board.
04-23-2024 10:55 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
(04-23-2024 01:53 PM)Outsider Wrote:  
(04-23-2024 01:48 PM)UIWElite Wrote:  

I honestly don't see SFA being left out on any street. They have too long of a history. The same for Tarleton or ACU. I think it's a primarily a matter of how much they are willing to invest into any move they decide to make.

SFA has good facilities, fund their sports ethically and offer reasonable competitiveness. They will have a home.
04-24-2024 01:49 AM
Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
Sad to see SFA give up like this and go crawling back to the Southland. I hope they come to their senses and stay.
04-24-2024 02:22 AM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

(04-23-2024 09:30 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Does anyone have a better SOURCE than X twitter for this rumor? Does not seem to be reliable on the surface.

Legs".

You would not be the first poster to state the commissioner comparison.
04-24-2024 07:16 AM
Advertisement

AuzGrams Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, UVU, North Dakota
(04-24-2024 02:22 AM)Spolovilo4EVER Wrote:  Sad to see SFA give up like this and go crawling back to the Southland. I hope they come to their senses and stay.

Agreed.

I hope the WAC invites a decent DII school like Colorado-Mesa.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2024 11:12 AM by AuzGrams.)
04-25-2024 11:11 AM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

SFA has hired McBroom from WTAM as their new AD.
04-25-2024 11:31 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

One "rumor" is that if SFA goes--- ACU goes with them. Just a rumor.
04-27-2024 11:53 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

(04-27-2024 11:53 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  One "rumor" is that if SFA goes--- ACU goes with them. Just a rumor.

I would like to know where you are hearing this rumor because there is zero talk known to us.
04-28-2024 09:57 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

SFA message board.
https://sfasawmill.com/forums/5/topics/2497

As stated in my first post about this. JUST a RUMOR.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2024 02:56 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
04-28-2024 02:38 PM
Advertisement

TexanFan Offline
1st String

For me, some of the Sawmill posts are wanting ACU to give up and move down just like SFA may be doing. They don’t want to be the only quitters.
04-28-2024 05:47 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

Interesting, but there has been zero talk about ACU making ANY move and ACU would rarely make a move backwards. ACU tends to always look forwards and would only move once they have a set plan in place. I guess it's a compliment that SFA would want to drag us with them. The one comment on us waiting for SFA to make a decision seems far-fetched. Personally, I thought now that SFA was in the UT system, they would move forward as well and was surprised with comments about the SLC. Even with the improvements the SLC has made, the WAC is just way better and much more visible. We have a lot of people in the know in discussions with the rest of us, and if something were happening, they are keeping a very tight lip. In fact, those voices seem to reflect the same thing I have been saying. So, although not impossible, I would say highly unlikely.
04-28-2024 06:04 PM
Outsider Offline
1st String

I would say that the one the one thing that caught my was Matt Brown's answer of "tons". It may not mean much, but it could indicate that there are more things taking place, or at least more conversations happening... There are some upset people right now.
04-28-2024 06:10 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

It certainly "appears" SFA is going to the Southland whether ACU joins them or not.
04-28-2024 10:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.