CSNbbs
Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach (/thread-842715.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - Tigers2B1 - 02-13-2018 01:33 PM

Just now on Jason and John. John Martin also has a couple of related tweets. They followed that interview with the list of elite recruits they've heard would follow Penny to Memphis. Something needs to be worked out with Tubby by years end. A huge opportunity will needlessly be missed by this administration otherwise.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - fishman6581 - 02-13-2018 01:38 PM

I'll tell you what. Penny is playing this perfectly. OM opens. Puts out he'd talk to them. Puts out he'd talk to UK. Now has his trainer on the radio saying Team USA offered him an assistant coaching job. I'd like to know who he has pulling the strings.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - snowtiger - 02-13-2018 01:38 PM

Admin might as well play to the crowd this time.

Then they can really point the finger at us if it goes sour, instead of yelling at us for not coming out for the games.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - jamammy - 02-13-2018 01:58 PM

(02-13-2018 01:38 PM)fishman6581 Wrote:  I'll tell you what. Penny is playing this perfectly. OM opens. Puts out he'd talk to them. Puts out he'd talk to UK. Now has his trainer on the radio saying Team USA offered him an assistant coaching job. I'd like to know who he has pulling the strings.

It's not new news that Penny wants to be a D1 head coach.

This has been talked about since the year BEFORE Josh left.

What is happening is what happens when the freaking UNIVERSE is screaming HIRE PENNY HARDAWAY!!!

Energy and chakras and whatnot.

HIRE PENNY HARDAWAY!!!!

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - BigTigerMike - 02-13-2018 02:32 PM

It’s nothing new. He wanted to be a D1 coach for the past few years. Yes, at one time before all he wanted to do was to kick back and play golf...etc. but people do change their minds about things and potential job opportunities

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - jgardne - 02-13-2018 02:35 PM

This board has lost its collective mind about Penny. Maybe he'd be good, maybe he wouldn't. He is not a sure things, those players aren't sure things to follow him, and then what is the gameplan in 2 years when his player connections are dried up?

Y'all aren't thinking clearly about this situation.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - jgardne - 02-13-2018 02:35 PM

(02-13-2018 02:32 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  It’s nothing new. He wanted to be a D1 coach for the past few years. Yes, at one time before all he wanted to do was to kick back and play golf...etc. but people do change their minds about things and potential job opportunities

If he wants to be a D-1 coach he should go out and earn it then. Join a college or pro staff.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - Tiger1983 - 02-13-2018 02:38 PM

(02-13-2018 01:33 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Just now on Jason and John. John Martin also has a couple of related tweets. They followed that interview with the list of elite recruits they've heard would follow Penny to Memphis. Something needs to be worked out with Tubby by years end. A huge opportunity will needlessly be missed by this administration otherwise.

The key part for me is that the gentleman would not publically comment about Penny’s D-1 coaching ambition without Penny’s approval.

IMO, it is a clear sign the Penny is lobbying for the Tiger head coach position, although I concede I may be reading too much into it.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - Joe1 - 02-13-2018 02:41 PM

(02-13-2018 01:33 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Just now on Jason and John. John Martin also has a couple of related tweets. They followed that interview with the list of elite recruits they've heard would follow Penny to Memphis. Something needs to be worked out with Tubby by years end. A huge opportunity will needlessly be missed by this administration otherwise.

This is too easy. It’s nothing you have to think about. You inform Penny you’re going to hire him. Finish the season. Move Tubby out of the way by whatever means necessary. Hire Penny and have a press conference at FedEx Forum in front of a very happy rocking crowd. 04-rock02-13-banana04-cheers

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - TIGERCITY - 02-13-2018 02:48 PM

(02-13-2018 02:38 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

The key part for me is that the gentleman would not publically comment about Penny’s D-1 coaching ambition without Penny’s approval.

IMO, it is a clear sign the Penny is lobbying for the Tiger head coach position, although I concede I may be reading too much into it.

That's what I got out of this too. If Penny is really leaving East at the end of this season this might be his way of saying I'm here --- add me to the calculus.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - fsquid - 02-13-2018 02:50 PM

(02-13-2018 02:38 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

He's been lobbying for 5 years

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - TIGERCITY - 02-13-2018 02:56 PM

[Image: DV8EQQIWkAAsef1.jpg]

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - fsquid - 02-13-2018 03:00 PM

hahaha, they going all in.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - cmt - 02-13-2018 03:11 PM

There is absolutely no reason on this earth not to do this.

"then what is the gameplan in 2 years when his player connections are dried up?"

Nothing nearly as bad as what we got now. Don't know if Penny will be the next Krzyzewski, but so what. I know he won't be the next Tubby. Most likely we'll be back in the top 25 or better with the next crop of Memphis players competing to get Penny to pick them, most likely. And Penny has already said in interviews he would go after great assistants, I don't think he'd retain Saul, might even get Keelon and the kids back here.

If there was no Penny out there begging, I'd probably even wait another year while looking for the very best candidate I could for under $2,000,000. But he's right there staring us in the face. Do it.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - jgardne - 02-13-2018 03:22 PM

(02-13-2018 03:11 PM)cmt Wrote:  There is absolutely no reason on this earth not to do this.

"then what is the gameplan in 2 years when his player connections are dried up?"

Nothing nearly as bad as what we got now. Don't know if Penny will be the next Krzyzewski, but so what. I know he won't be the next Tubby. Most likely we'll be back in the top 25 or better with the next crop of Memphis players competing to get Penny to pick them, most likely. And Penny has already said in interviews he would go after great assistants, I don't think he'd retain Saul, might even get Keelon and the kids back here.

If there was no Penny out there begging, I'd probably even wait another year while looking for the very best candidate I could for under $2,000,000. But he's right there staring us in the face. Do it.

Buy why is Penny better than a Chris Beard or Steve Forbes who has had success at smaller programs? Because he wants to doesn't factor into it.

Tubby Smith, when you consider contract and support to results, is about the worst coach in Divison 1. Just because Penny isn't Tubby doesn't mean you must hire Penny. There are lots of options out there.

This seems like an extremely emotional, reactive choice by people.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - TIGERCITY - 02-13-2018 03:29 PM

Ill take Penny or Forbes. That said I bet Mississippi hires Forbes before the Memphis Administration makes a decision on Tubby. But when the direction of this program is as horrible as it is you just don't continue in that direction. You have to do something. Anything.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - jgardne - 02-13-2018 03:30 PM

(02-13-2018 03:29 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Ill take Penny or Forbes. That said I bet Mississippi hires Forbes before the Memphis Administration makes a decision on Tubby. But when the direction of this program is as horrible as it is you just don't continue in that direction. You have to do something. Anything.

Clearly tubby has to be let go. The longer you keep him the worse it gets. He adds nothing to the program. Excitement? no. Fan support? No. Results? No. Recruits? no.

He is not building or generating anything to create or sustain any success.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - rssumme - 02-13-2018 03:31 PM

(02-13-2018 03:22 PM)jgardne Wrote:  
(02-13-2018 03:11 PM)cmt Wrote:  There is absolutely no reason on this earth not to do this.

Buy why is Penny better than a Chris Beard or Steve Forbes who has had success at smaller programs? Because he wants to doesn't factor into it.

Tubby Smith, when you consider contract and support to results, is about the worst coach in Divison 1. Just because Penny isn't Tubby doesn't mean you must hire Penny. There are lots of options out there.

This seems like an extremely emotional, reactive choice by people.

Forbes has a show clause and this admin has shown an obvious aversion to that.

Who said Chris Beard would want this job?

I think people forget that our job wasn't very attractive the last 2 times it was open. Penny has a real connection to the program and actually wants the gig.

Who are we hiring that is better and/or willing?

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - fsquid - 02-13-2018 03:35 PM

Forbes show clause is over.

RE: Pennys trainer .. Penny wants to be a D1 head coach - rssumme - 02-13-2018 03:37 PM

(02-13-2018 03:35 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Forbes show clause is over.

On his record. I want him too, just pointing out that our admin might not...