Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Way to go, TigerFanScott!
Bookmark and Share
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!

Read today's CA.

<a href='http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/football/article/0,1426,MCA_478_3147308,00.html' target='_blank'>Southern discomfort</a>
08-30-2004 12:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis

That was a GREAT comment by TFS, and right on the money. After this year's game it can be argued that we'll have passed them by.

Two wins in a row with next year's game being at home. Ranked ahead of them to start the season, and sure to garner more publicity and be ranked at the end of the year IF we play like we can.
08-30-2004 02:47 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

I spit out my coffee when I read that one.
08-30-2004 07:17 AM
southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails

You sure they did not get that qoute directly from a thread on this board?
08-30-2004 08:11 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

I hope this doesn't find its way onto the Mississippi bulletin board in their locker room.
08-30-2004 08:50 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

fsquid Wrote:I hope this doesn't find its way onto the Mississippi bulletin board in their locker room.
They're already talking about it on the Rivals Mississippi Board. They're attempting to style this as some sort of official statement from the Tigers --- indicating that the statement comes from the president of the Tigers lead booster group.
08-30-2004 08:54 AM
Advertisement

Chi-Town Offline
Perpetually Optimistic

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

fsquid Wrote:I hope this doesn't find its way onto the Mississippi bulletin board in their locker room.
If they need this to get em' fired up after the pasting last year it's gonna be a long day for em'......

Way to go Scott!
08-30-2004 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I know it is fun to beat your chest ,and gloat but I wish he would have waited until after the game to make such an inflamitory statement.

We have a good team this year, I think we will be better than missippi, but we are still behind them in terms of infrastructure.

example: Our season ticket sales= 15k theirs are 45k

I think the key here is that we are closing the gap. We need to keep working towards surpassing the webels in every aspect of the program. When we do we need to keep going, (TFS was right about missippi not being at the top of theNCAA pecking order.)
08-30-2004 09:03 AM
tiger86 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Tigers2B1 Wrote:
They're already talking about it on the Rivals Mississippi Board. They're attempting to style this as some sort of official statement from the Tigers --- indicating that the statement comes from the president of the Tigers lead booster group.
How on earth did this guy get elected president of the Highland Hundred???? 03-confused 03-confused

If you are the leader, you can think it, but you can't say it, especially to the newspaper!

Obviously he didn't learn anything after leaving this board about popping off at the mouth. :(
08-30-2004 09:22 AM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

I don't care for his statement. We beat them last year. So what! They killed us the year before that. They do hold a decent edge over us in the last 30 years. We won 3 in a row in the 70s and look where that got us. When we sell 45k season tickets and beat them 6 out of 8 or 9 years we can start mouthing off like that.
08-30-2004 09:27 AM
dougmat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

I'm not part of the highland hundred so I have no real reason to criticize; but I will anyway.

when i read the article my first thought was I can't believe that was said. when you represent a group of people that is directly tied to the school it is my opinion you seek a more moderate tone. In this regard, I think if TW wouldn't say it than neither should an official of a booster club.
08-30-2004 09:30 AM
Advertisement

btiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesDonators

You think there is enough money in the Highland Hundred budget to buy him a muzzle??
08-30-2004 09:43 AM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:How on earth did this guy get elected president of the Highland Hundred????&nbsp;

It may be the way he acted here, but my impression is the same.

He seems to be a dedicated guy and well meaning but ...........
08-30-2004 09:56 AM
UMTigerfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

btiger Wrote:You think there is enough money in the Highland Hundred budget to buy him a muzzle??
when i first read that this morning i thought it was great. it perfectly desribes the attitude of the typical, arrogant, OM fan, imo...

however, after reflecting on it, i agree that it was probably a mistake for the 'leader' of the football booster group to publicly make such statements.

my guess is that TW is not thrilled.
08-30-2004 10:00 AM
BrianJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

For those who might have missed it:
-------
Mostly good feelings. On both sides, there are fans who hold grudges.

"(Ole Miss fans) view themselves in their own minds as being so superior to us as a university and football program," says Scott Forman, a U of M graduate who is president of The Highland Hundred, the football team's booster club. "But deep down in their truest heart, they understand there is not much distance between these two programs.

"As perennial SEC bottom-dwellers, if they don't have us to kick around, it scares them.

"The reason we hate them is they come in here with that holier than thou attitude."
--------
08-30-2004 10:06 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

UMTigerfan Wrote:
btiger Wrote:You think there is enough money in the Highland Hundred budget to buy him a muzzle??
when i first read that this morning i thought it was great. it perfectly desribes the attitude of the typical, arrogant, OM fan, imo...

however, after reflecting on it, i agree that it was probably a mistake for the 'leader' of the football booster group to publicly make such statements.

my guess is that TW is not thrilled.
I completely agree with your statement. At first I thought that it was awesome, but after a night to sleep on it, I have the same feelings.

There was nothing factually wrong with what he said, but as a representative of the program, it was a dumb, classless statement. Of course, all of us have been saying the same thing on this board, but that's an entirely different story. I got called out for taking TFS to task for making gay jokes about UT, and other off colour remarks. I guess that I wasn't that far off the mark, which is a shame because by all accounts he is doing a great job as prez of the HH.

Thank God we're not playing UT this year. TFS might have shown up at a press conference with the picture of the sheep on the motorcycle.
08-30-2004 10:12 AM
Advertisement

tigerdog Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Its hard to argue with what he said. Possibility he could have been more diplomatic, but the hell with'em. I don't like them and never have. I glad he said it!
08-30-2004 10:15 AM
kpigout Offline
cyber-bbq king

Crappies

Why would anyone give two $hits what a fan says? He may be prez of a booster club, but he has no say or influence with the team or coaches, and therefore he is just another fan. If Mississippi needs this to get motivated, then they are already a lost cause anyway.
08-30-2004 10:22 AM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

"As perennial SEC bottom-dwellers, if they don't have us to kick around, it scares them.

This is the part that bugs me the most. For Mr. President's information OM shared the west title last year. Look at their record over the last 5-10 years and see where they stack up in the SEC west. Trash talking is fine on here but if you are being quoted in the paper and are the PRESIDENT of a booster group talk like you have a bit of sense.
08-30-2004 10:23 AM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

kpigout Wrote:Why would anyone give two $hits what a fan says? He may be prez of a booster club, but he has no say or influence with the team or coaches, and therefore he is just another fan. If Mississippi needs this to get motivated, then they are already a lost cause anyway.
It makes our booster group look like a bunch of Bubbas and LuLus who have no idea what in the hell they are talking about. He can say it at a meeting. He can say it with friends or on here. Just don't pop off at the mouth when you are talking to a reporter and are going to be quoted and noted as the PRESIDENT of the booster group. Maybe we should get a poll going so the actual members of the HH can vote without showing their face. The question should be, "Do you want the booster group to be seen as a bunch of big mouth trash talkers who speak without their facts straight?" or, "Do you want the HH to be seen as a class group who show respect to the opposing schools when in public but know when the time is right to lead a Hotty Totty Go TO HELL OLE MISS chant?".

I wish I had the time or I would make it up now.
08-30-2004 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.