SMU
TCU
UTEP
New Mexico
Utah
BYU
UNLV

That is a solid basketball/football line-up

All those schools are located in (1) a state with no other BCS school (2) a huge football first state (3) a big metro area

These schools all have big enough stadiums and Houston could play big games in Reliant or whatever the Texans stadium is called.

Now, I believe the winner of that league should be in a BCS league. Options for a 12th school would be Southern Miss and Tulsa. I question Tulsa's stadium capacity, not their program. This could be possible if the Cotton Bowl were added to the slate. Anybody got Jerry Jones email?
08-17-2008 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
RE: OT- A 7th BCS league
The Big 12 would fight that tooth and nail....many of the schools you are talking about are in their region

Jackson
08-17-2008 09:04 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Very true, but many are also private schools. I don't know how much that matters though.
08-17-2008 09:20 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
esayem Wrote:Very true, but many are also private schools. I don't know how much that matters though.

Certainly doesn't at Southern Cal, Syracuse, Miami, et al.
08-17-2008 09:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Truthfully, the original C-USA (with Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida and TCU) was MUCH stronger then that league. We did get a seat at the BCS table and were considered an unofficial BCS member (I don't know if C-USA still has that distinction), but we still didn't become a full BCS member. I doubt that league would have a chance.
08-17-2008 09:53 PM
TRest1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UConn
Memphis, Tulane, and the Texas schools are in states with no other BCS schools? News to me (and them).
08-17-2008 09:54 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
TRest1 Wrote:Memphis, Tulane, and the Texas schools are in states with no other BCS schools? News to me (and them).

lol, I missed that, great catch!
08-17-2008 09:56 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
I'm pretty sure the OP meant that those schools had characteristic (1) OR (2) OR (3), not all of them.
08-18-2008 08:58 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
esayem Wrote:Memphis
Tulane
Houston
Rice
SMU
TCU
UTEP
New Mexico
Utah
BYU
UNLV

That is a solid basketball/football line-up

All those schools are located in (1) a state with no other BCS school (2) a huge football first state (3) a big metro area

These schools all have big enough stadiums and Houston could play big games in Reliant or whatever the Texans stadium is called.

Now, I believe the winner of that league should be in a BCS league. Options for a 12th school would be Southern Miss and Tulsa. I question Tulsa's stadium capacity, not their program. This could be possible if the Cotton Bowl were added to the slate. Anybody got Jerry Jones email?

I think I can do one better. New 12 team Mountain West Conference

Mountain:
Memphis
Tulsa
Houston
New Mexico
Air Force
TCU

Western:
BYU
Utah
UNLV
Boise St.
Fresno St.
San Diego St.

Championship game at the home field of the better team by record, like CUSA does it.

In Football this conference might be better than the Big East, in Basketball they are probably better than Pac-10 and Big Ten. The Western division might be better than the Big East in football. 05-stirthepot

And for you haters who say this conference is too spread out. Distance from Memphis to San Diego 1564 miles. Distance from El Paso to Greenville, NC 1410 miles. I wonder which flight would be easier. 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2008 09:48 AM by firmbizzle.)
08-18-2008 09:42 AM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
firmbizzle Wrote:[I think I can do one better. New 12 team Mountain West Conference

Mountain:
Memphis
Tulsa
Houston
New Mexico
Air Force
TCU

Western:
BYU
Utah
UNLV
Boise St.
Fresno St.
San Diego St.

In Football this conference might be better than the Big East, in Basketball they are probably better than Pac-10 and Big Ten. The Western division might be better than the Big East in football. 05-stirthepot

When trying to stir the pot, it is best not to appear at best ill-informed and at worst completely moronic
08-18-2008 09:57 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

BatonRougeEscapee Wrote:
firmbizzle Wrote:[I think I can do one better. New 12 team Mountain West Conference

Mountain:
Memphis
Tulsa
Houston
New Mexico
Air Force
TCU

Western:
BYU
Utah
UNLV
Boise St.
Fresno St.
San Diego St.

When trying to stir the pot, it is best not to appear at best ill-informed and at worst completely moronic

Make your point then. Your only argument is to insult me. Try going to Yahool Sports look up the football/basketball records for these teams, and then responding.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2008 10:06 AM by firmbizzle.)
08-18-2008 10:01 AM
Advertisement

BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
I was with you until you said it would be better than the big east. Not even close, but the conference you made is more along the lines of the one i would of put together as a 7th bcs conference.
08-18-2008 10:13 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
CatsClaw Wrote:Truthfully, the original C-USA (with Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida and TCU) was MUCH stronger then that league. We did get a seat at the BCS table and were considered an unofficial BCS member (I don't know if C-USA still has that distinction),

We do.
08-18-2008 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

BullsBEAST Wrote:I was with you until you said it would be better than the big east. Not even close, but the conference you made is more along the lines of the one i would of put together as a 7th bcs conference.

Definitely not in basketball the Big East is too deep, but the football side has BYU, Utah, Fresno St, Boise ST, Air Force, Tulsa, New Mexico. 7 teams that had 9 wins, 3 teams with 10 wins. I'd have to look up who these teams beat to make a better comparison, but it'd would be a highly competitive league.
08-18-2008 10:34 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Fresno St
Boise St
Utah
BYU
TCU
UNLV
Air Force
Colorodo St
San Diego St
Hawaii

Thats a solid 10 team conference. You can always add Hawaii, Boise, Fresno to the MT West and have a BCS conference. I been saying for a while with the population shifting more to the west we will see a 7th BCS conference.
08-18-2008 10:40 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
firmbizzle Wrote:
BullsBEAST Wrote:I was with you until you said it would be better than the big east. Not even close, but the conference you made is more along the lines of the one i would of put together as a 7th bcs conference.

Definitely not in basketball the Big East is too deep, but the football side has BYU, Utah, Fresno St, Boise ST, Air Force, Tulsa, New Mexico. 7 teams that had 9 wins, 3 teams with 10 wins. I'd have to look up who these teams beat to make a better comparison, but it'd would be a highly competitive league.

You are being ridiculous if you really think that league may be better than the BE in fb and better than the Pac 10 and Big 10 in basketball. But you are entitled to your opinion if you really believe it.
08-18-2008 10:42 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

CatsClaw Wrote:Truthfully, the original C-USA (with Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida and TCU) was MUCH stronger then that league. We did get a seat at the BCS table and were considered an unofficial BCS member (I don't know if C-USA still has that distinction), but we still didn't become a full BCS member. I doubt that league would have a chance.

Actually the best C-USA year was when Tulane should have made the BCS. Louisville came on strong towards the end of their C-USA run. Cincinnati was never much in football until they got in the Big East, similar to South Florida, who was a little more impressive.

BYU won a national title in football. Memphis was close to winning NCAA's this year. Utah has won a BCS game. UTEP has won the NCAA's and has the Sun Bowl. UNLV has won the NCAA's. SMU can afford to pay their coach a mil per year (shows a little dedication). TCU is always tough on the gridiron. Houston has strong tradition in hoops and football. You fill out the league with academic powerhouses like Rice and programs that have potential like New Mexico, Tulane, and Southern Miss, and the conference champ should be in a BCS bowl.

I am not comparing this to the old C-USA or the current Big East. Hence, the 7th BCS league.
08-18-2008 11:20 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

BatonRougeEscapee Wrote:I'm pretty sure the OP meant that those schools had characteristic (1) OR (2) OR (3), not all of them.

You sir, are correct
08-18-2008 11:22 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I think with the recent success of some Big East programs (Cincy, Rutgers, UConn, USF) people forget how good those western teams are traditionally. For a non-BCS conference. They would have 2 BCS wins (one against the Big East), possibly another if BYU runs the table this year. In basketball, Memphis went to the championship game, Utah, UNLV, and Houston have all done the same.
08-18-2008 11:28 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
I'm trying to to figure out how that new league would be better than the Big East right out of the gate, when the Big East, supposedly left for dead when the ACC picked it clean, is currently sitting with a higher profile than the ACC, in both hoops and football.

Yet, some alignment consisting of Memphis, Tulsa, et. al is supposed to be better.

Right.
08-18-2008 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.